• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PS3 Demo Releasing Today

Wow. All of this Crytek/PS3 trolling is simultaneously hilarious and sad. A shame they couldn't get the engine optimized to the point where it's competitive with engines built from the ground up especially since Crytek was hyping this up so much. Maybe they released this to deflate expectations only to blow us away with the retail?
luz, I know

Makoto

Trying to find a match as I type this. Not surprised. Multiplayer demo a week before release while the other platforms get it weeks before?

Oh wow, I just found a match.

Edit: Spends 1 minute loading the map only to disconnect me. GG Crytek.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
~Devil Trigger~ said:
Downloaded, entered a room, first try.

its pretty cool gameplay wise, but mele is stupid,, and talk about recoil....none over here.

Graphics look good, of course it does'nt look like its PC mate, but this demo still looks better than most, some framerate drops but nothing unplayable.

GAF is being too dramatic here

Thats 2!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
CozMick said:
Wait, did any of you guys actually play the 360 version?

From those screenshots posted it looks almost exactly the same as it's console counterpart.

You're just disappointed with the visuals right?

I played the 360 demo and the new map on the PS3 version (as that's the only game I could get). The framerate in the new level was much worse than the framerate in the one level on the 360 version (the rooftop level). I guess it would be better to compare both of the same levels, but I can't really.

LM4sure said:
haha, people thought this would look good on ps3 or 360? lol, get a pc if you want to play this game!!

The fuck are you talking about with your elitist bullshit? The game barely looks and plays any better on the PC besides the ability to run at a higher framerate.

Ew, I just played this. Graphics are only one of the problems with this thing. People call KZ3 average but man it feels soooo good compared to C2.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
riceandbeans said:
The fuck are you talking about with your elitist bullshit? The game barely looks and plays any better on the PC besides the ability to run at a higher framerate.
You can change FOV on the PC. Doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference but it feels 10x faster and more responsive after the change. Less nauseating too.

Zen

Banned
I like 2 things: The use of color and the GI. Crytek gets props for being the first dev to implement a (probably somewhat simple) form of real time GI on a console shooter (GI has already appeared in Sony's MLB series @ 60fps).

But the resolution is pretty bad, and I feel like it's made even worse by excessive bloom, temporal AA causing ghosting (after a certain distance they use MSAA, so I've heard), and abuse of DoF. It's like they were deliberately trying to make the screen as muddy as possible in hopes that it would push the end image into 'somewhat artsy' and hide the low resolution, and instead we got a ghosting, low res, blurry mess on the screen. I think they were also sort of hoping that the overall look of realtime GI would make up fora lot of the sacrifices that they had to make on the consoles.

After that there's the fact that the framerate is slightly sluggish at all time (at least that's my perception) and this also impacts to overall image quality.

I don't know the specifics of it, but I wouldn't have minded some QAA instead. It's not exactly the devil people make it out to be, and texture resolution is also somewhat low in the demo to begin with, so no big loss of detail would result. Although I'm not sure what impact that might have on the overall performance and where they're necessarily limited (probably GPU?).

Maybe MLAA would have worked........................ oh wait not with the low resolution I'm guessing?

It doesn't feel like they decoupled the controller inputs from the framerate, maybe I'm wrong, but I perceive some delays when you go into the thermal mode and the framerate takes another hit.

There were times on the rooftop area that I couldn't see the enemy once I started firing because of the muzzle flash combined with the excessive bloom.

It's odd, I feel like they decided to go with 'what can we get to work across the board for the 2 consoles' instead of creating an approach unique to each console to maximize the effectiveness of the ports, and I don't think that Temporal AA is ever a good idea in games like an FPS.

Two things that I'm keeping in mind: 1) The demo is probably outdated 2) Multiplayer will almost always look worse than single player.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ok, were able to play a few matches with my friends and ignoring the odd-looking graphics, this multiplayer is fun :)
Hype restored

im confused, the 360 verision I thought was fun and looked good, the PC version was even better, now whats up with the PS3 version, is it really that bad, or people just ripping all versions of the demo?

I like the multiplayer, but why does it feel like I can't see anything? The enemies aren't clear enough.

Edit: Just got major motion sickness, and I had to quit. I never get motion sickness. Is the blur doing this to anybody else or am I a weak man?

X-Frame

People are going to be going into this PS3 demo looking for negative aspects of it because of all the rumors we heard about it actually looking/performing worse.

I'll wait until official comparisons because I am never any good at distinguishing that sort of stuff on the fly.

Juras

nib95 said:
Please tell me that was a texture loading glitch...
Rengoku said:
Pop-in I think
MMaRsu said:
Hey cool is that a new n64 game?
Right answer is : not fully loaded textures after respawn. xd

not loaded

loaded

alr1ghtstart said:
imgur is a terrible webhost to use for judging graphics, due to them recompressing them. Not saying it doesn't look like that (as I can't get into a game).
Imgur has nothing to poor image quality (screens comressed before upload via Infranview), you can compare imgur file:

untouched png file:

and screens from other games captured with same method and comressed at same level:
KZ3 sp demo:

Two Worlds 2:

Motorstorm Apocalypse demo:

sleepykyo

The core gameplay doesn't seem too bad (albeit a bit uninspired). The dog tags were a nice touch. What was with the leveling (stealth, armor, power) after the match? They aren't seriously planning on higher level players having more advanced stats are they?

Performance wise, the frame rate isn't great or anything, but it isn't anything unusually bad (still would have preferred a higher one though given how quickly these supersoldiers die).

It may very well be a tech masterpiece to experienced eyes, artists and programmers, but all my simple eyes could see was subHD (?)blurriness accentuated by a grain filter, jaggies and some excessive bloom/lighting.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Ummm....I somehow glitched in the Beta?

I was running and jumped onto a wall leading into the glass house are in Skyline, I think that is what is called (rooftops map), but I accidentally triggered my stealth, game shot me up in the air, an I was air-walking for at least 25+ seconds

I was just hovering, killing dudes, just by looking down, took someone from far away to notice me, and kill me, I was like how the fuck do I get down?

Then 3 minutes later, the game glitched again, my gun started to float (close to centering itself), like it was going into reload animation but was frozen in front of me

Game graphics are meh, but I enjoyed the Armor/Stealth mechanic, and choices, but the sniper with 1 hit kill is stupid even with armor up

Game could have used another 6-8 months and be released in October, but in March it feels, it will get drowned out the lolgraphixz crowd

Also lag really cripples the player with stealth, I ran behind a dude, while I was invis, soon as I hit him, he vanished in front of me reappeared above on the 2nd floor, he had triggered his invis, but with lag, benefited by going up ahead and turning and killing me, I was like where the fuck did he go

we saw the SP gameplay video on PS3 already so we KNOW that it's not a shitty port, the real question is did the PS3 version of MP make more graphical sacrifices than the 360 version?

they require different degrees of resources to run the online code properly and that could interfere with how much they were able to squeeze into each version's overall game engine to begin with. PS3 version probably didn't have as much wiggle room as the 360 version.

i'll check tonight anyway. my PC version looks fantastic on "Advanced" setting. (lulz for no customization)

TUROK

I guess real-time GI on a console just isn't feasible to do while maintaining good IQ. Oh well, there's always next gen.

Shapingo

Can't even find a game any more?!? The frame rate sucks when everyone is jumping around shooting. It had to of been sub 20fps.

Nizz

Posting from my PS3 since I still can't get into a god damned match. And this demo comes a week before launch too. Pure fucking fail on Crytek. Last platform to get a demo, you'd think they'd have this shit sorted out by now.
I'm getting a Treyarch/Black Ops vibe all over again. 360 being the lead with PS3 getting a sub-par port. And they want to sell this engine for multiplatform use and they themselves can't get it right? Fucking LOL. I blame myself for being naive and believing the Crytek hype. And this may be final code too? I'm turning this off...

Kevin

This is absolutely horrible. How did Crytek sink so low so fastly? They went from graphics king on the PC to N64 graphics on the PS3...

Zen

Banned
TUROK said:
I guess real-time GI on a console just isn't feasible to do while maintaining good IQ. Oh well, there's always next gen.

I'm sure the problem is worse than it might otherwise be due to a combination of choices made: The excessive bloom, over exposure of lighting, the freaking temporal AA causing ghosting in a sub HD image, and the lower framerate combined with all that.

We've seen good IQ with the MLB games and they have some form of GI.

I think GI is probably doable on current gen consoles WITH good IQ, even sub HD IQ can look decent if you're not... doing everything Crytek seemed to be doing...

TUROK

Kevin said:
This is absolutely horrible. How did Crytek sink so low so fastly? They went from graphics king on the PC to N64 graphics on the PS3...
They're doing real-time GI, object motion blur, HDR, bokeh DOF, and other high-end effects at the same time. No other console game does this. Something's got to give.

Tried to find a match, ended up waiting, then got disconnected. Tried several more times and still couldn't find a match. Yay! /sarcasm

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Lion Heart said:
Ew, I just played this. Graphics are only one of the problems with this thing. People call KZ3 average but man it feels soooo good compared to C2.

People who call KZ3 average are haters :p. It's freaking beautiful and a fun game. Not flawless, but a great deal of fun and well deserving of all the 9+ scores it got most everywhere.

Truespeed

TUROK said:
They're doing real-time GI, object motion blur, HDR, bokeh DOF, and other high-end effects at the same time. No other console game does this. Something's got to give.

That's all well and nice, but there comes a point where you need to either adhere to your rendering budget and scale back accordingly or you can just try to jam it down your pipeline's throat until it vomits. It looks as if the latter solution was used. 1280x720 at 30 FPS should have been the baseline. If your game can't handle it then you can either optimize the engine or reduce/eliminate some of your effects. I would have easily given up GI for a crisp clean picture with a stable framerate.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
TUROK said:

How good a game looks is not defined by the number of bullet points

Rengoku

Managed to get into a game, played for a little bit, yeah... its really a blurry mess, and the framerate isn't very good even when I'm the only one on screen. If it has trouble with framerate in an urban environment like that, I'd hate to see how it handles jungle environments.

Not very promising, I'll stick with my PC I guess.

TUROK

bobbytkc said:
How good a game looks is not defined by the number of bullet points
Yeah, I made that clear in my previous post. My point is, everyone is going to jump on Crytek for being "lazy", when that is not even close to being the case. They're too ambitious, if anything.

I'm not reading the rest of this topic to find out if somebody else posted this.

360 resolution was CONFIRMED at 720x1280

Ps3 resolution was CONFIRMED at 720x1024

So yes, the PS3 version does run at a lower resolution. HOwever judging from my play time with both, the lighting on the PS3 is better, as is the texture quality and there is substantially less pop-in than on the 360. Framerate sucks though.

This is looking like a rental.

Makoto

I found a lobby with another guy in it! Oh snap, another guy joined and another guy! Will I finally get to play this game? Will you let me play your game Crytek? Come on, I might pre-order, just let me get into a match!

Edit: Disconnected. Awesome.

If those screens are accurate, I don't know how the hell some of you can say the PC version barely looks any better than the PS3 one.

Maybe I'll download the PS3 version to compare...

Rengoku

Meijimasha said:
I'm not reading the rest of this topic to find out if somebody else posted this.

360 resolution was CONFIRMED at 720x1280

Ps3 resolution was CONFIRMED at 720x1024

So yes, the PS3 version does run at a lower resolution. HOwever judging from my play time with both, the lighting on the PS3 is better, as is the texture quality and there is substantially less pop-in than on the 360. Framerate sucks though.

This is looking like a rental.

It's full 720p? I thought it was confirmed by pixel counters to be 1152x720?

Truespeed

Rengoku said:
It's full 720p? I thought it was confirmed by pixel counters to be 1152x720?

I recall a Crytek employee also saying that the console resolutions were 1152x720. But, he was probably never in the loop to begin with.

Top Bottom