• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PS3 Demo Releasing Today

Zen

Banned
The thing that gets me is, what developer is going to look at the end result of Cryteks showcase game on consoles and say: Man, we have to use this instead of Unreal Engine 3.

Things obviously wouldn't be so bad if they were also trying to jam in technology that that's bleeding edge even on the PC, but then why use it on the console versions so agressively if the trade offs are this bad? You should be showing that your engine is capable of running and looking good on the consoles, and handicapping product with needless tech masturbation just insures that developers and gamers alike won't have a fair idea of how it would perform if they had set more conservative targets.

It's clear that this is all to get CryEngine working and established on consoles for when the next generation roles around, but they really did themselves no favors with their decisions on the console versions of Crysis 2. In a weird way that might help them when it comes to the next generation (since the spin would be now the consoles can handle CryEngine 3 and omg how awesome CryEngine 3 is).

Not to mention that there isn't a single AA and lighting related decision they've made with it that doesn't cause one to exasperate the problems of the other when combined with low framerates and resolution, and that's just sloppy and shortsighted. I'm sure you can implement theses effects in a way that makes the trade offs worth it, but I'm also pretty sure that of the developers that could do this, Crytek isn't one of them.

TUROK

phosphor112 said:
Power of the PS3 shows, in sub HD and sub 30 fps.. and sub CODBLOPS graphics.

Seriously Crytek, how do you fuck up this bad?
Crysis 2 on PS3 looks worlds better than Black Ops.

Jigsaw

Banned
the loadtimes are terrible too,combine that with a minute of waiting in the lobby after every match because 6 of 10 people are too stupid to vote

is it so hard to copy from dice?match ends,it shows your stats and awards,and the next map is loaded in the background,simple yet perfect

sleepykyo

MisterAnderson said:
Lol Crytek can't get a break. They better give PC version a shit ton of post-release support to make good on their PC fanbase. Looks like it's going to be the only fanbase they might have, and they're already getting a ton of shit from them as well for the consolization/lack of graphics options/DX11.

Current psn rating is 4.29 out of 5 stars, so it could just be a case of enthusiast forum.

edit:

Regarding Turok's post: Is that including the frame rate difference? Black Ops isn't even close to 60fps, but it is still higher than Crysis 2.

TUROK

sleepykyo said:
Regarding Turok's post: Is that including the frame rate difference? Black Ops isn't even close to 60fps, but it is still higher than Crysis 2.
I'm speaking from a purely visual standpoint. Sure, the jaggies and the pop-in are big eyesores, but everything else looks pretty gravy.

MisterAnderson said:
Lol Crytek can't get a break. They better give PC version a shit ton of post-release support to make good on their PC fanbase. Looks like it's going to be the only fanbase they might have, and they're already getting a ton of shit from them as well for the consolization/lack of graphics options/DX11.
There is no reason to give us less graphical options. Differen't GPU's are better at different things. Not allowing customization isn't good.

TUROK said:
Crysis 2 on PS3 looks worlds better than Black Ops.

Well, I slightly exaggerated, but Crysis 2 still looks terrible. Even on my computer monitor (PS3 version) it looks blurry. No AA, blurray mess, pop in, low res textures, no good use of normal mapping. It looks painfully bad. KZ2 looks better.

MisterAnderson said:
Where in my post did I say that lack of customization was a good thing?
I'm not saying you said that, I'm just saying the hate is justified. PC gamers get shafted, PS3 gamers get a shit port, 360 fanboys will think their version is the shit, and will rub it in everyones face.

Terrible all around for everyone. The hate Crytek is getting is deserved. I wasn't saying that you denied any of that, I'm just making a statement.

strata8

phosphor112 said:
I'm not saying you said that, I'm just saying the hate is justified. PC gamers get shafted, PS3 gamers get a shit port, 360 fanboys will think their version is the shit, and will rub it in everyones face.

Terrible all around for everyone. The hate Crytek is getting is deserved. I wasn't saying that you denied any of that, I'm just making a statement.
I honestly think it's pretty obvious that the 360 was the lead platform here. The leaked beta even had 'press A to skip' on the cutscene movies.

Piggus

Been trying for a good 15 minutes to join a game. :/. It sits there looking for sessions, then doesn't find one so it makes me wait for five people to join me. Then I get disconnected. Looooovely.

Zen

Banned
So I tried turning down the in game brightness to about 25, and maxed out the sharpness on my TV. Seems to have helped abate the needlessly excessive bloom and brightness of the demo. It looks much better now.

The part where you can swim under water on pier 17 is impressive.

Xater

Just gave the PS3 demo a shot and everything I feared came true. I knew there was a good reason they held back the PS3 version for so long. Clearly sub HD, the game looks blurry as hell and the performance is terrible. It seemed like I only got 30fps when nothing was going on.

I wanted this to be good, but it looks like I will just skip the game.

glaurung

Looked at some YT quick reviews of the PS3 demo.

Crytek is a bunch of liars. They promised the console crowd eye candy and proper FPS game play and instead they deliver this turd smear on a year-old bagel.

PC version is the only one that is worth its grapes at this point. Which sucks even more because the console versions will definitely sell pretty good and the supporting development will be focused on those, not the hardcore tech freak gamers on PC.

Very, very disappointed in the console iterations.

*hugs Steam pre-purchase

Piggus

FINALLY was able to connect. I tried the game in 3D mode. Looks pretty nice in 3D... Maybe even a bit smoother than on 360. The framerate definitely wasn't as good though. Wasn't planning on buying either console version but it's interesting to compare at least.

Piggus said:
FINALLY was able to connect. I tried the game in 3D mode. Looks pretty nice in 3D... Maybe even a bit smoother than on 360. The framerate definitely wasn't as good though. Wasn't planning on buying either console version but it's interesting to compare at least.

Smoother on PS3 but the framerate wasn't as good as 360. <- Fuck?

Here is interesting parts from the gamereactor review(translated by google). Since its about the PS3 version I'm putting it here.

PC vs X360 vs PS3
When it comes to the difference between the different versions have several sites already condemned the PlayStation 3 version as the worst of the three. And it is true. Although I personally think that the difference between the console editions are smaller than those expressed by, among others, Digital Foundry. The PC version of Crysis 2 is entirely superior to the Xbox 360 - and PlayStation 3 game, anyone can figure out. PC game looks several times more attractive with higher resolution, clearly more advanced lighting and shadows much snazzier.

CE3 & x360-PS3
It shows for example that the CryEngine 3 can not use all the help processors in the PS3: s hardware architecture which has led to the particular lighting and screen update has suffered. . Should be said however that the difference between Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 is not huge, by any means, and certainly not as critical / alarming as in the cases Bayonetta and Ghostbusters. Do, however, both consoles, I recommend the Xbox 360 game in PlayStation 3 diton.

CryTek's 3d solution vs Sony (KZ etc)

Crytek has another solution on how to render 3D and after a few hours with Crysis 2 , it is easy to conclude that it is superior to Sony's version. In Crytek solution rendered not two similar images but only two layers of the game's shadows.This means that the graphics are exactly the same whether you play Crysis 2 in 2D or 3D. The 3D effect then works better than in both Killzone 3 , Call of Duty: Black Ops , Gran Turismo 5 and Motorstorm: Apocalypse is såkklart very impressive.

9/10

McLovin

Lighting took a hard hit and overall the image did look downgraded. The controls seemed less sluggish to me though... maybe it was my imagination.

Vampire Hunter Vizier said:
Crytek has another solution on how to render 3D and after a few hours with Crysis 2 , it is easy to conclude that it is superior to Sony's version. In Crytek solution rendered not two similar images but only two layers of the game's shadows.This means that the graphics are exactly the same whether you play Crysis 2 in 2D or 3D. The 3D effect then works better than in both Killzone 3 , Call of Duty: Black Ops , Gran Turismo 5 and Motorstorm: Apocalypse is såkklart very impressive.

How the dang hell does that work?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
My Demo file got corrupted, gotta download again

mxgt

Banned
Played a round or two, as expected it looks and plays like absolute garbage compared to the PC version. Truly horrendous frame rate.

DualX

I don't understand fully why people think the game looks bad. I mean all of the Call of Duty games only run DirectX9 and I haven't really seen any bitching over it. The game industry is a business, and with that said it only makes sense why they are making this move; because it's cost effective and with them finally releasing the game on consoles they will easily increase profits.

For their first attempt at using their "top teir" engine for a console that's 5 years old now, I'd say they did a really good job. The final product should have quite a few fixes in there at least I'd imagine. Who knows?

I haven't tried the console version myself yet but i thought ppl were okay with the framerate in the 360-version. Is it alot worse in PS3-version or am i just misinformed regarding the 360-version?

Donos

DualX said:
I don't understand fully why people think the game looks bad. I mean all of the Call of Duty games only run DirectX9 and I haven't really seen any bitching over it. The game industry is a business, and with that said it only makes sense why they are making this move; because it's cost effective and with them finally releasing the game on consoles they will easily increase profits.

For their first attempt at using their "top teir" engine for a console that's 5 years old now, I'd say they did a really good job. The final product should have quite a few fixes in there at least I'd imagine. Who knows?

I think it has something to do with Crysis and the emphasis on graphics. When you think of Crytek it is always connected with "holy shit graphics." The CODs aren't really centered around graphics. they deliver always "good - great" quality in graphics (lulz IGN MW2 10) but people get hyped for the "hollywood" SP, fantastic MP with perks and shit.

That the discussion of the sequel to one of the most visually impressive games ever made gets focused on graphics is understandable.

Also didn't Crytek said something that Crysis 2 on consoles would be/look better than most of the competition (graphicswise) ? I'm not sure.

sinnergy

All feedback/opinions are based on a MP DEMO.. and we don;t even know how old these are..

And what they needed to down-scale for the MP experience + Freeradical made this.. not Crytek.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Outside of the lower res, they don't look much different.
only other thing i couldn't see anywhere in the PS3 screens were god rays. can anyone confirm the presence or lack there of in the PS3 version?

onken

You know I don't mind these less-than-stellar PS3 versions (it's not that bad, all things considered) but I just wish they'd give all the talk about "no lead platforms" and pushing ceilings" a rest, because it's just embarrassing when this is the end result.

Also I can't believe anyone seriously compared this to KZ3 graphically speaking.

onken said:
You know I don't mind these less-than-stellar PS3 versions (it's not that bad, all things considered) but I just wish they'd give all the talk about "no lead platforms" and pushing ceilings" a rest, because it's just embarrassing when this is the end result.

Also I can't believe anyone seriously compared this to KZ3 graphically speaking.
it's doing more stuff in realtime than KZ3 is, so you can make the argument that it's technically more impressive in that regard... but yeah, i don't think the end result is better looking based on the demo at least.

Theres some things that are different to on the maps, look at the stairs pic its missing parts on the ps3. The blur really stands out when you see it like that side by side crytek lol gfx celing im sure.

Top Bottom