• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 Remastered being teased

mansoor1980

Gold Member

FeminineEveryGraysquirrel-max-1mb.gif

So they released a remastered trilogy trailer.....Does Crytek even fucking make new games anymore? Also, it says playable on Ps5 and XBX through backward compatibility?? fuck this.

Rikkori

Kinda underwhelming tbh. Only hype shot was the end with the three helicopters, that looked sick. Dunno what it is but their marketing dept. just doesn't know how to showcase the game and build up anticipation.

VN1X

Banned
What is Crytek even working on these days? All this remaster stuff is being outsourced and aside from Hunt: Showdown (which is getting more and more popular) I wonder what the majority of the studio spends their time on. Granted it's a lot smaller than it used to be but still...

Fake

Kinda underwhelming tbh. Only hype shot was the end with the three helicopters, that looked sick. Dunno what it is but their marketing dept. just doesn't know how to showcase the game and build up anticipation.

Kinda confusing... 'Next gen', but in the end tease BC compatibility...

CamHostage

What is Crytek even working on these days? All this remaster stuff is being outsourced and aside from Hunt: Showdown (which is getting more and more popular) I wonder what the majority of the studio spends their time on. Granted it's a lot smaller than it used to be but still...
Making Crysis 4, hopefully? There's also the rumor of Ryse 2, but that doesn't feel valid to it to me. And then there's just the work building CryEngine to remain competitive with Unreal, Unity, and everything else pushing it to the fringes. (Those engine workers would mostly be different people from the game development team; some of those people are busy supporting Hunt Showdown and making VR games, so they're been at work elsewhere even if a big AAA effort has been absent a long time now.)

It does make me nervous that for their flagship product relaunch, Crytek had to turn to an external studio to do a lot if not all of the port work here, and they could only port over the CryEngine 2 (PS3/360) builds rather than actually going back to the original (although CryEngine 1 may be such a mess that porting was impossible, they've been re-integrating some of the CE1 details through Crysis patches and maybe the Remastered Trilogy will have a "final" version with even more, but Crysis Remastered will always have this bad reputation of failing to really answer the question, "Can it run Crysis?") And then the rollout makes little sense; why not announce the Trilogy when Crysis 1 R was launching (which came out at $30, so the pricepoint for this trilogy will be interesting) and that would be the packaged product to pre-order while 1 came out digitally? It's all been weirdly handled, IMO, and every step of the process (from using the console version as base to having a launch that needed significant patching to even now crashes and other issues) feels like Crysis 1 Remastered was rushed for the wrong reasons.

It's interesting that the sell here in the Remastered trilogy announcement is hardly at all about the enhancements and new technology or any of that, so I'm guessing 2 and 3 are much more quickly-handled ports with framerate addressed and some RT on next-gen consoles and that's about it (also the multiplayer is stripped from the build.) That's fine by me, actually, the second two games look really nice still, I'd personally rather Saber just got them on the latest CryEngine and dialed in the framerate and FX quality per platform but then went back to working on Crysis 1 Remastered being all that it should be.

Rikkori

Making Crysis 4, hopefully? There's also the rumor of Ryse 2, but that doesn't feel valid to it to me. And then there's just the work building CryEngine to remain competitive with Unreal, Unity, and everything else pushing it to the fringes. (
They're stuck. For sure cryengine is dead except for their own use, they just can't compete with Unity & Unreal both of whom are spending hundreds of millions on engine dev, both for game dev & business use. Besides that all the major first party studios are also hiring all the remaining engine devs like crazy so Crytek with their broke ass won't have a chance.

As for games, who knows, I wish for a Ryse 2 but also don't think it would happen. Neither do I see Crysis 4 being made, that type of game isn't very popular and it never sold well enough to keep doing them even at its zenith. Maybe if they take lessons from Ghost Warrior franchise which had to downsize and do a AA production after being burned trying to go big.

Hunt did ok but it's too niche to really help them out or begin the growth pass over.

Hopefully they're experimenting a lot and keeping AA-tier, that's their one shot to get back into the swing of things.

Too bad about the company's gross mismanagement, it could have been a great studio.

Top Bottom