• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 - CryEngine3 Tech Trailer

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Couple of snaps from the 1080p video.

cry1n8ia6.png

cry26wfbv.png

DieH@rd

Banned
That tree looks hawt. Too bad it wont be destructible.

The only big problem that i had with this tech video is unrealistic movements of pigeons and butterflies. :)

StuBurns

Banned
So, briefly, could someone explain why everyone uses UE3 over CE3? I think, for a good five years now, CryTek have displayed their tech is beyond the competition's. Is it an ease of use factor? Licensee costs?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, briefly, could someone explain why everyone uses UE3 over CE3? I think, for a good five years now, CryTek have displayed their tech is beyond the competition's. Is it an ease of use factor? Licensee costs?

From what I've heard, Epic's documentation and support is superior to Crytek's, or at least was until quite recently. As an engine UE3 is fairly easy to develop for and stable on all current generation platforms. Plus a lot of people have experience with it.

Not sure what the licensing costs are. But it's hard to ask devs to pass on UE3, even of CE3 is superior in technology, if UE3 is the easiest, most supported engine to develop for.

CE2 was PC only and CE3 just shipped its first game a year ago, it's also very late in the generation so most people won't switch at this point. Everything starts fresh next gen though.

I haven't played the Crysis games... but are those leaves actually polygons? Most games seem to just apply leaf textures with transparencies on a two triangle plane. It might be different when it's closer to the viewer.

DieH@rd

Banned
I haven't played the Crysis games... but are those leaves actually polygons? Most games seem to just apply leaf textures with transparencies on a two triangle plane. It might be different when it's closer to the viewer.

Bigger leaves are fully modeled and can be interacted with [wind, contacts with the player and objects]. Smaller bushes are "sprite" based.

Ryoku

Tessellation is actual geometry. Though, I expect things like short grass, leaves on taller trees, etc. to be what you mentioned, and not tessellated.

EatChildren

Tessellated vegetation is part of CryEngine 3 now, and by the looks of it Crysis 3. I have no idea what that means for my GTX 570.

based on...

I see where you guys are coming from and you're right we should wait for the games to come out. It's just that the latest UE demo I saw while great did not blow me away like this. But that's me. Both engines are great I just think CE3 takes it to a higher level.

scitek

I think Crytek takes more time adding features to their engines than Epic does, but that's just based on what they've done with CE3 in a year. UE3 was pretty much the same for a long time, no?

Monarch

Banned
Differences between UE4 and CE3 might not be visible at first hand just by looking at trailers.
I think that the Global Illumination in UE4 is much more complex (and expensive in terms of processing power required).
I recommend all of you guys read the in-depth article on Digital Foundry about UE4.
link

If someone has a similar link to share about the ins and outs of CE3, I'd be grateful :)

DieH@rd

Banned
I must say that I was impressed with that 3gb footage of UE4 elemental demo. But Epic never makes good tech demos, their art style is not that great...

Valnen

I think Crytek takes more time adding features to their engines than Epic does, but that's just based on what they've done with CE3 in a year. UE3 was pretty much the same for a long time, no?

Seems like it. By the time UE4 catches up, CE4 will be out and blow everyone away again.

Top Bottom