• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Remastered coming to PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC

SonGoku

To be honest, this hardware never fails to impress me. The Switch library is filled with "Impossible ports", The Witcher 3 being the most impressive one. A decent Crysis port, handled by the right team, is not completely out of the ordinary.
At what cost though? TW3 could run on PS360 if downgraded enough
They look great but the performance is terrible in some levels, and it is a blurry mess, you definitely dont want that amount of motion blur when the game runs at ... 600p?
physics and destructive environments/objects were downgraded too besides the obvious visual downgrade
This game looked gorgeous on max settings on a 8800gt and gameplay was so fresh
software-based ray tracing
Bummer wish they supported hw rt

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
At what cost though? TW3 could run on PS360 if downgraded enough

physics and destructive environments/objects were downgraded too besides the obvious visual downgrade
This game looked gorgeous on max settings on a 8800gt and gameplay was so fresh

Bummer wish they supported hw rt
The hw rt can't be possible on ps4 xbo and switch.

Tesseract

Banned
hell yeah, i was just talking about this

love what they did with multiplayer over the years

Last edited:

ToadMan

Do people actually like the game though? I found it totally forgettable back when it first released on PC.

The fun seemed to be tweaking drivers, and upgrading hardware to get it to chug along at 20fps. PC Tech Simulator - any FPS element was a technical matter not a videogame genre.

Yet a quick look says this got very good reviews and 2 sequels that I totally missed/ignored/forgot about.

Sooo, should I look forward to this? Or is the missing PC tweaking main game (I’d get it on console if at all) going to make the shooter mini game seem a bit anemic?

Ivory Blood

Do people actually like the game though? I found it totally forgettable back when it first released on PC.

The fun seemed to be tweaking drivers, and upgrading hardware to get it to chug along at 20fps. PC Tech Simulator - any FPS element was a technical matter not a videogame genre.

Yet a quick look says this got very good reviews and 2 sequels that I totally missed/ignored/forgot about.

Sooo, should I look forward to this? Or is the missing PC tweaking main game (I’d get it on console if at all) going to make the shooter mini game seem a bit anemic?
Yeah, you probably should look forward to this "remaster".

First Crysis was sorta open world, with lots of ways to tackle objectives and defeat enemies. Add vehicles, suit powers, surprisingly good stealth and it's an all around great game, that I very much enjoyed playing back in the day.

Second one is linear and more in style of PS3/360 era FPS made for consoles. But it has such an awesome "summer blockbuster" feeling to it, that I forgive everything else Crytek botched.

Third one is.... well the less said about that one the better.

I never understood how people could refer to C1 as a tech demo. It provided more options for tackling scenarios than any other game that was out at the time and even sometime after.

It was close to Doom 95/2 in terms of freedom and alternative paths for the first half but set on an island.

Id say the majority of AAA games today are more tech demos than C1. RDR2 comes to mind, Second Son, Killzone 4, Ubisoft open worlds games etc.

Thanati

I may be in the minority here but, aside from the visuals - which were phenomenal for the time - I thought the game itself was really weak. As I said, I'm probably in the minority but just my thoughts.

scalman

there are so many mods for OG Crysis that i doubt that remaster will reach those levels even . not sure it was needed rly after doom eternal. will it look better then new doom ? kinda doubt it

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The sandbox design is far better executed than in most modern shooters. It’s an amazing game!
In fact, most shooters today are still a far cry from Cyrisis. The claim „it’s just a tech demo“ is ridiculous.

Third one is.... well the less said about that one the better.
The third one was still better than Crysis 2 tbh

Last edited by a moderator:
The original Crysis is up there for me with Half-Life 2 when it comes to FPS greatness. The freedom and flexibility the suit gave you for tackling objectives is unmatched to this day. The graphics, destructible environments/physics and sound design create immersion that probably won't be topped unless VR takes off. Playing that game with headphones on..........my god, when that music kicks in...

I was so hyped for Crysis 2, expecting the same type of experience but in a city. Wow, what a complete joke - they ripped out everything that made the first game a great experience and dumbed down the suit. I don't even remember Crysis 3.

That being said, this remaster will probably be trash. The PS3/360 version was awful - they changed how the suit functioned in the original and dumbed it down to be more like the Crysis 2 suit. If they make a true remaster, honest to the feel of the original with creative use of console controls I will be ecstatic.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Would've been really cool to see a new game period. Not really sure how many people out there were hoping for a Crysis remaster. I feel like the reception thus far has been, "Well, alright", or, "It's better than nothing!"

Is Skyrim the only game where people make graphics mods that don't make the game look bad but better?

Is Skyrim the only game where people make graphics mods that don't make the game look bad but better?

Shame about the gameplay though.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Crysis' gameplay is only as fun and tactical as you can make it.

That’s quite the take, I don’t think I can agree though. Anyone who has played a shooter in the last 10 years knows how movement with aiming down sights, sprinting etc. works. They are all very similar in that. Crysis does it too, but with the addition of a suit, which gives you more options how to play. You don’t need to be creative to figure that out. It may help you getting more enjoyment out of the game though.

A game that requires to be creative would be Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts n Bolts, because the whole fun stems from building vehicles and figuring out how to use them to finish the challenges in a non traditional way.

Dacon

Banned
That’s quite the take, I don’t think I can agree though. Anyone who has played a shooter in the last 10 years knows how movement with aiming down sights, sprinting etc. works. They are all very similar in that. Crysis does it too, but with the addition of a suit, which gives you more options how to play. You don’t need to be creative to figure that out. It may help you getting more enjoyment out of the game though.

Being creative with the nanosuit is all of the fun in Crysis. You're basically a predator dropped in a sandbox full of unsuspecting Koreans. If you're just going to rush right in and shoot people without utilizing the suit at all, I can see how people wouldn't have much more fun with the game versus your average FPS. Sneaking into a group of Koreans, sleeping one of them while you grab the other in strength mode to throw him into his unsuspecting pal to watch them both collaspe into a building is pretty fun. There's so many ways you can approach different scenarios that I have fun just thinking of the possibilities.

The nanosuit and utilizing its abilities tactically, that is the core of what makes Crysis fun. In what other game can I kill a korean soldier by throwing a chicken at them?

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
The game still looks damn good on PC even in vanilla form. This remaster should be a bit of a stunner.

fZI6sNq.jpg

pawel86ck

Banned
Being creative with the nanosuit is all of the fun in Crysis. You're basically a predator dropped in a sandbox full of unsuspecting Koreans. If you're just going to rush right in and shoot people without utilizing the suit at all, I can see how people wouldn't have much more fun with the game versus your average FPS. Sneaking into a group of Koreans, sleeping one of them while you grab the other in strength mode to throw him into his unsuspecting pal to watch them both collaspe into a building is pretty fun. There's so many ways you can approach different scenarios that I have fun just thinking of the possibilities.

The nanosuit and utilizing its abilities tactically, that is the core of what makes Crysis fun. In what other game can I kill a korean soldier by throwing a chicken at them?
Agree, and I even recommend playing crysis 1 on delta difficulty because then player is forced to use strategy.
The game still looks damn good on PC even in vanilla form. This remaster should be a bit of a stunner.

fZI6sNq.jpg
Crysis 1 still looks great for the most part, however game is extremely CPU bottlenecked. In crysis warhead there's one train level and my fps went from 80-100fps to 30fps on i7 8700K. Crysis really need a proper multithread support.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

Oh definitely, the suit makes or breaks the game. I‘m arguing that the typical FPS player should still be capable of enjoying Crysis. The shooting aspects haven‘t changed much in the last decade, so it’s basically only the suit. And while I agree that the suits allows for creativity and the fun of Crysis comes from using it to the fullest, I don’t think it’s rocket science. It can be figured out. I guess it also depends on how much time you invest in the game. Creativity is something that can help in most games and in many real life scenarios as well, but it’s not a must to be good in what you are doing.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Same. It looked good, graphically - but the pacing, characters, story, and gunplay was all subpar and forgettable. I enjoyed Crysis 2 more, but still it felt super bland and never tried Crysis 3.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Gyro is great, but mouse & keyboard will always be the best solution for shooters. Gyro is definitely much better than using sticks.

He is from Saber, known for doing ports for Switch. I guess this tells more than you think.
I can read, you know.

What is interesting is the "remasters" bit. Is it a typing error or a brain fart, does he refer to PC and console versions with the plural, or have multiple Crysis games been remastered (I doubt)?

JimboJones

I guess if Crysis 1 does well 2 and 3 might get the same treatment? But could just be referring to each of the SKU's it's coming out on (Switch/PS4/Xbox/PC)

Fake

I can read, you know.

What is interesting is the "remasters" bit. Is it a typing error or a brain fart, does he refer to PC and console versions with the plural, or have multiple Crysis games been remastered (I doubt)?

I watched DF direct while ago and I can't be sure about 'Crysis games' taking into consideration the bugdet necessary to doing so. Crytek is not in a good position of spending much money for projects (as mention in the video).

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

If the switch has gyro/motion controls, it will the the superior version regardless of graphics.
It will be the slide show,low res and shouldn't of even been considered version.
Gyro controls on a POS non analog buttons/triggers controller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom