• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Remastered - so far the most most appealing visuals in games so far

keraj37

Mind you it has tag "opinion" - and it is just that, my personal opinion and sample of my taste.

I am that minority in gaming community that loves some games just for how good they look.
The best looking game before Crysis Remastered was Battlefront 2015 - I didn't really have much fun from gameplay, but it looked and sound so good!

Now, I am glad I stay bit of the tracks from the gaming news, because after I bought Crysis Remastered on EPIC s'hit'ore I saw how many bad reviews it got.
But I have it and I really enjoy, 1h here or there, spent in the jungle that looks better than ever.
I think key ingrident here is ray traced GI - it really shows!

I don't know how to convince those who say it is bad remaster - maybe it is!
But games are for entertainment and this game brings this to my leisure time.

Finishing, let me leave just few shots I got directly playing it, to illustrate more less how good it looks (in motion it is even better! - waving palm leafs etc)

Vlb5NDn.jpg

Z8Mf612.jpg

r70JY4K.jpg

eRY5MGu.jpg

None of us are graphics experts, but this remaster gets WAY too much flack. I'm just happy it released at all with even a *slight* increase in graphics.

What? Lol no. What did you smoke? Those textures are nasty.

EITKcTj.jpg
I don't really know what this game is a showcase of TBH but I haven't played it so I won't judge it solely for this screenshot alone, I love the art style of Crysis, it's one of the most realistic looking games for its time.

I'll just leave this here... completely disagree with you on the textures:

c89k37iv7kl51.jpg

original:

3DZLtIE.jpg

You know what? Call me whatever you want GAF, but this game looks as good as modern Crysis games, fight me.

Sorry OP, but that looks pretty last gen even compared to this gen.

As for ray traced GI, metro did this almost two years ago and looks better.
Your comment on this game looking "last gen" was hyperbole and not needed. And TLOU2 looks pretty meh in the day time (the night time looks great) but Metro Exodus and Ghost of Tsushima are quite beautiful games that are made for this gen. The screenshots here don't do this game justice at all, and with modern CryEngine features added to the game, it looks like a current gen game in my humble opinion, either early or mid it doesn't matter.

Is this on console?
Read the OP... he got it on EGS but I don't know what settings he's playing on, and these are pretty blurry screenshots.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I don't really know what this game is a showcase of TBH but I haven't played it so I won't judge it solely for this screenshot alone, I love the art style of Crysis, it's one of the most realistic looking games for its time.

"Of its time" is correct.

Not of this time.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Its not even the best looking Crysis game let alone best looking game game.

It looks like shit. Original looks better and metro exodus looks 10x better
Lol no. But yes @ Metro Exodus, nobody claimed that Crysis Remastered is the best looking FPS out there, but I will say that it gets way too much negative attention.

"Of its time" is correct.

Not of this time.
Even of this time, it has a nice realistic aesthetic with the touch ups and, as I stated above, they're nothing to scoff at (that vegetation especially). I'm not complaining, there are quite a few lazy remasters this gen... this is not one of them, contrary to the spicy takes here.

Maxed out looks nice, but runs like shit, is inconsistent and there are better looking games for sure. But its a looker at times
Aesthetically speaking it's quite realistic looking, moreso than a lot of games out there, but games like Kingdom Come for example... wow. If it weren't for the character models, that is one of the best looking games I've seen in FPV.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
Did they fix the shortcomings compared to the original PC version that were shown in the Digital Foundry video? If not - then your opinion is objectively wrong.
:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Looks pretty meh.
Daggerfall still wins by a mile

2019-07-31_17-57-29-696x410.jpg
Something tells me this is bait but I can't quite put my finger on it.

This game is terrible, where are my dialogue sequences and the walking around for 20 minutes talking about things nobody cares about? Worst game of the 90's, 1/10... game is too big and where are the dwarves? #DwarfLivesMatter #NotMyElderScrolls

Did they fix the shortcomings compared to the original PC version that were shown in the Digital Foundry video? If not - then your opinion is objectively wrong.
:messenger_grinning_sweat:
"objectively"

Even though the game as a whole looks superior to the original?

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
"objectively"

Even though the game as a whole looks superior to the original?

An objectively wrong opinion because of a Digital Foundry video. That's the joke.
How can a subjective opinion be objectively wrong, you know.

It sucks to have to explain the joke.

Last edited:
An objectively wrong opinion because of a Digital Foundry video. That's the joke.
How can a subjective opinion be objectively wrong, you know.

It sucks to have to explain the joke.
It's pretty difficult noticing that through text, and you can't really blame someone for not seeing it as a joke when people really can get that serious, especially when it comes to these sort of things such as YT channels like DF where it has toxicity levels of whiny gamers crying about consoles.

And I pulled a big dumb, my apologies.

regawdless

Banned
It's pretty difficult noticing that through text, and you can't really blame someone for not seeing it as a joke when people really can get that serious, especially when it comes to these sort of things such as YT channels like DF where it has toxicity levels of whiny gamers crying about consoles.

And I pulled a big dumb, my apologies.

No apology needed, and I didn't meant to blame you. As you said, in today's age of the internet, I can't take it for granted that everyone gets nuanced and ironic jokes in written form without any context.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Super hard disagree. The game looks worse than the original in several ways, and there are so many games that look better these days.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
This deserves the "Goofiest Release of the Year" award.
Avengers can be runner-up. It excels in other awful categories.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
VFXVeteran VFXVeteran could probably add some deeper insight here

Not going to indulge in this for many reasons. 1) People are hating that it's Crysis and has the nerve to come back. 2) Bad Reviews gave people even more incentive to trash the game. 3) Most people here don't know good graphics tech when they see it. It absolutely has the best RT GI of any game and there is no game that has better lighting (save FS2020). I can find the famous "soul glow" light probe GI in every other game that people just ignore. 4) People are comparing this game to other games on a subjective level hence there is never going to be a general agreement. 5) Lastly, people read up on the gameplay shortcomings and automatically judge the graphics of the game to be garbage.. I can't get into that kind of twisted thinking..

Last edited:

keraj37

Not going to indulge in this for many reasons. 1) People are hating that it's Crysis and has the nerve to come back. 2) Bad Reviews gave people even more incentive to trash the game. 3) Most people here don't know good graphics tech when they see it. It absolutely has the best RT GI of any game and there is no game that has better lighting (save FS2020). I can find the famous "soul glow" light probe GI in every other game that people just ignore. 4) People are comparing this game to other games on a subjective level hence there is never going to be a general agreement. 5) Lastly, people read up on the gameplay shortcomings and automatically judge the graphics of the game to be garbage.. I can't get into that kind of twisted thinking..

Perfect.

MiguelItUp

Interesting take. Wasn't it said by many that this Remaster was horrible and in some cases worse than the original?

Tschumi

Good for you. You might be appreciating the detail work done in the original, more than the remastered stuff.. it's beautiful, doesn't have to be the most beautiful

I'd have to see it on big screen and in motion but based on the screen shots you've provided, even something like RDR2 running on a base PS4 looks a lot better than this.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Mind you it has tag "opinion" - and it is just that, my personal opinion and sample of my taste.

I am that minority in gaming community that loves some games just for how good they look.
The best looking game before Crysis Remastered was Battlefront 2015 - I didn't really have much fun from gameplay, but it looked and sound so good!

Now, I am glad I stay bit of the tracks from the gaming news, because after I bought Crysis Remastered on EPIC s'hit'ore I saw how many bad reviews it got.
But I have it and I really enjoy, 1h here or there, spent in the jungle that looks better than ever.
I think key ingrident here is ray traced GI - it really shows!

I don't know how to convince those who say it is bad remaster - maybe it is!
But games are for entertainment and this game brings this to my leisure time.

Finishing, let me leave just few shots I got directly playing it, to illustrate more less how good it looks (in motion it is even better! - waving palm leafs etc)

Vlb5NDn.jpg

Z8Mf612.jpg

r70JY4K.jpg

eRY5MGu.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It's a big "meh" from me.

Digity

Everytime I see Driveclub my body just wants to play it again.
Really have to try the Bike DLC soon.

Real shame Evolution got closed down.
Is it possible to still get that DLC? I’m sure I could find a physical version of the game then buy the DLC, wouldn’t mind trying it out.

Crysis is gorgeous while having huge open levels, tons of objects to interact with and more destructibility than your average game released today, it's very impressive.

Top Bottom