• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Remastered (XBLA/PSN) screenshots released [Up: New gameplay video]

eshwaaz said:
It is bizarre. There are some here who seemingly can't stomach the possibility that people may actually be satisfied with, and (shudder) even excited about this console port. It's as if it somehow retroactively ruins the enjoyment they got from the game years ago.

The same is true for all fanboys though. Just take a look at the MH3G and MH4 reveals. Some people there actually acted like MH as a series was ruined for them.

Let alone the outcries years back when Capcom showed RE4 for the PS2. Hell, I never understood this bullshit, but here we are again. Instead of being happy that other people who weren't able to play a game on its original hardware get to play a game they enjoyed, many feel the need to actively shit on this port and those who wait for it.

PC gamers allready know that they have the better version, but many of them aren't able to display dignity or restraint, but rather resort of behaving like little spoiled brats after their dad just got a new BMW M5 and now they are parading it around to their friends who can't afford one.
Reading this thread is like a Wall of Shame.

Wallach

Honestly it looks pretty impressive if that's what it actually winds up looking like on consoles. Kudos to them for getting it done on hardware like that.

Though really they ought to fix the tire attached to the back of the jeep. Pay more attention, marketing guys.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BurntPork said:
You mean halfway through the video? :/

Is this only on YouTube? The YouTube vid is horribly compressed.
Gameplay wise, it's one of the coolest missions. It gives you the impression of a CoD-like fire fight, but you quickly discover that you have free reign over a massive battlefield and it becomes pretty awesome. It was also one of the more demanding levels (performance wise) so I suspect that is why they showed it.

Though really they ought to fix the tire attached to the back of the jeep. Pay more attention, marketing guys.
The tire has been deflated with gunfire in that shot, which was quite possible in the original game.

The Janitor said:
But Crytek has done exactly the same thing! They hired they guy who made the real-lifesis ToD to do the ToDs for Crysis console version.
Console version of Crysis has been "modded" in the same way
That's not what a mod is, he's just working for Crytek now just like the rest of the staff.

We are comparing how Crytek's work on the 360 stacks up against the original Crysis on PC, that's all.

Mods make the comparison worthless (and impossible) since they change the original game.

NotTarts said:
Where are you getting this from? The screenshots? A compressed YouTube video? I haven't seen any evidence that the textures are at the same level as 'low'.

Well...

crysisconsole.jpg

If it's not low then at most medium, cause it sure ain't high

Wallach

dark10x said:
The tire has been deflated with gunfire in that shot, which was quite possible in the original game.

Really? I don't remember that, but then I probably didn't spend much time looking at spare tires. It looks like ass.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Janitor said:
Well...

crysisconsole.jpg

First of all, it's not exactly easy to tell as a result of the video, but more importantly, I don't think we can truly judge this based on PC video settings.

The entire game is being customized to maximize quality where possible while cutting corners in less noticeable areas. I don't think you can say it's using "low quality" textures across the board, for instance. They'll probably use higher res textures for important surfaces while minor details will use much lower resolution textures.

That said, walking around that area on the PC yesterday shows that a lot of textures are actually pretty poor even on the PC.

Really? I don't remember that, but then I probably didn't spend much time looking at spare tires. It looks like ass.
It's not about looking at the tires, rather, a demonstration of the interactivity Crysis affords. You can do things like blow off individual tires (including the spare you see there). If you take out a tire on a moving vehicle, for instance, it impacts the handling. The entire game is loaded with small details like that which is one of the things that makes it so impressive.

Here's that surface on the PC. As you can imagine, if you display this in a massively compressed video, the subtle details will be lost here and it will appear flat. The texutres in the 360 version are clearly lower resolution overall, however, but I'm sure the quality varies throughout.

ScreenShot0020.jpg

Mrbob

I still think this is a dumb comparison, because we aren't even looking at the same engine powering each version. It wasn't just PC gamers who were shouting Crysis couldn't be done on consoles. It was Crytek themselves saying it for a long time. Obviously this changed with CryEngine 3. If there ended up being a Cryengine 3 version of Crysis on PC, it is safe to think the difference would be a minimum of what it was between Crysis 2 with consoles and PC. Unfortunately, I have a feeling the reason they aren't bringing it over to the PC is they don't want people to see how much better it'll look and run. They are trying to sell the console versions to a market which hasn't had the game before.

I think I have like 800 space bucks in my account. Might buy another 800 to check it out. Kind of curious how the game plays now with the modified suit powers.

Red

Stallion Free said:
I won't lie, I'm happy there is no multiplayer because that means they can't make shitty multiplayer achievements and I will actually try to get 1000/1000.
I hadn't thought about that, but yeah it's a good thing.

Reuenthal said:
We shall see. The big 'ace' of this new engine in comparison to the previous one seems to be the fact that in practice Crytek has provided multiplatform titles instead of PC only. There is also what you mentioned about the different environments but it seems like a less important factor for the lack of adoption of Cryengine 2 to me.

The sales staff at Crytek outright told me that was the reason behind people not adopting the engine.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm definitely interested to see if someone is going to do an in-depth analysis of this compared to Crysis 2 on consoles. It would be cool to see what is different between the versions of the engine, if anything.

DarkChild

Banned
RoboPlato said:
I'm definitely interested to see if someone is going to do an in-depth analysis of this compared to Crysis 2 on consoles. It would be cool to see what is different between the versions of the engine, if anything.
They added POM, occlusion culling( should help with performances). Everything else seems to be pretty much the same.

Kibbles

The Janitor said:
Well...

crysisconsole.jpg

lol a screen-cap of a streaming flash video that isn't even running on the HQ flash stream, not that it makes it much better.

Nizz

DarkChild said:
They added POM, occlusion culling( should help with performances). Everything else seems to be pretty much the same.
Could you explain this a little more? I'm not too familiar with the term. But you mentioned it should help performance and I perked up immediately. :)

DarkChild

Banned
purple cobra said:
Could you explain this a little more? I'm not too familiar with the term. But you mentioned it should help performance and I perked up immediately. :)
That means that the object behind other objects, that are not visible from where player is standing are culled(hidden, "removed") so hardware doesn't have to render it. It speeds up performances, Crytek said they added it and that they didn't have time to do so before( they mentioned it in leaked CE3 documents).

EDIT.

Here is part from interview with guy from Crytek.

We refined the Occlusion Buffer we use to detect which objects we do not need to render since they would be occluded from other objects that are in front of them and used Reprojection methods to predict where the player might look next in order to avoid objects popping suddenly into place.

Truespeed

purple cobra said:

It prevents things from being drawn that you can't see either because they're not visible on the screen or it's behind something.

Nizz

DarkChild said:
That means that the object behind other objects, that are not visible from where player is standing are culled(hidden, "removed") so hardware doesn't have to render it. It speeds up performances, Crytek said they added it and that they didn't have time to do so before( they mentioned it in leaked CE3 documents).

EDIT.

Here is part from interview with guy from Crytek.

Stallion Free said:
Great explanation of it here: http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/Occlusion Culling.html

Better than I could explain it really. The technique has been around forever though...

Truespeed said:
It prevents things from being drawn that you can't see either because they're not visible on the screen or it's behind something.
Thank you all! I really hope the game benefits performance-wise. It would be awesome to get a more stable framerate this time. A stable 30fps would be pretty great.

Even with the dips in the PS3 version I played of Crysis 2 I still loved the game. I'm so glad I get a chance to play the first part now.

StevieP

Banned
angular graphics said:

It's clear that texture resolution has taken a massive hit in many regards, but the CE3 lighting improves some scenes (and makes others oversaturated). Pop-in is also more prevalent, but it's a necessary evil. The fact that it's even running on the hardware that it is, is a testament to the CE3 and its multiplatform optimization.

Top Bottom