• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead Release Window: Mid 2017

Sorcerer

The funny thing about MS money is one second you think its an infinite drip and then it abruptly ends.

I think its enough for MS to soley keep it on their console. The dev probably thinks going with MS will guarantee some premium advertising for their game, in addition to the cash to add those platforming levels.
But look how MS abandoned D4 and left it for dead on release.

FStop7

Banned
2016: The Year of Delays

-Final Fantasy XV
-The Last Guardian
-Gravity Rush 2
-South Park: The Fractured But Whole
-Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
-Fate/Extella

And now we welcome Cuphead to the club.

Did I miss any other delay?

No Man's Sky is still delayed

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Gotta feeling this will be a game that by the time it comes out, no one will care anymore. For the studios' sake I hope that doesn't happen.

I know I lost all interest when I found out it was a boss rush shmup. But hopefully the platforming parts can be good. You have to wonder, MS is putting money into this, given the potential for all hype dissipating for this game, maybe they should launch it GwG?

Chris1

Are they adding actual stages? It was basically a boss rush type game before right?

They added those a while ago, they looked pretty rough compared to the boss stages.

But look how MS abandoned D4 and left it for dead on release.
Referring to the release out of nowhere? That was Swery's doing, not MS.

Gotta feeling this will be a game that by the time it comes out, no one will care anymore. For the studios' sake I hope that doesn't happen.

I know I lost all interest when I found out it was a boss rush shmup. But hopefully the platforming parts can be good. You have to wonder, MS is putting money into this, given the potential for all hype dissipating for this game, maybe they should launch it GwG?

It's not gonna launch GWG with the hype behind it. But I do agree with you, honestly I kind of forgot about it already until this post. Can only imagine it being worse next year, if it even comes out then.

It is not really a problem.
I would have liked the chance to play it earlier of course, but adding extra shine and making it as good as possible is all that matters at the end of the day.

game development takes time? The game was significantly smaller in scope so they announced it with that in mind, but then they got funding from MS

it's not really that hard to understand

Yep...

I don't understand people getting up in arms, or massively deflated, when a game is delayed. Disappointed, sure, but later game, usually means better game. I've seen games before they get pushed back, and trust me, it's for the best. Big games, small games.

I've seen indie games that didn't have the room for a delay, that came out half baked.

RowdyReverb

I'm really glad that they are taking their time with this. More time in the oven can only help

this will be like no mans sky sadly... all this hype, it comes out and everyone going to be disappointed
Except this game hasn't created unrealistic expectations. The big reasons people are interested in the game are for run 'n gun gameplay and its unique art style, and we've seen both of those things in several demos now. NMS had much loftier ambitions that it couldn't reasonably deliver upon.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

-Final Fantasy XV
-The Last Guardian
-Gravity Rush 2
-Fate/Extella

A lot

Persona 5
Squadron 42
Nier: Automata
Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Sea of Thieves
Akiba's Beat
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yooka-Laylee

All of those were supposed to come out in 2016 (or 2015, for some) and are now all scheduled for 2017.

MrBS

I remember playing this game a year ago, its going to be interesting to see what the final build ends up being. Reserving my hype for when actual release date is announced.

Lijik

How is anyone's "interest" "going away"?

Did something else even remotely like it come out?
People couldnt drive by shitpost about how they "lost interest" because they somehow missed it was just a boss rush anymore so they latched onto a new excuse

Justinh

My interest in this is going, going....GONE.

Yeah, I'm still really looking forward to this game but the delays are really, really trying my patience. This and Below feel like they were showed off like, 3 or 4 years ago and it always seems like a "next summer" thing.

I really want them to take all the time they feel they should need and release the game they want to release, but damn, man...

eso76

It was basically a boss rush type game before right?

It hasn't been for a while, but the run and gun levels shown so far looked extremely basic.
They are probably going to flesh those out.

Edit: late.

I would have thought a better course of action would be release cuphead 1 as the boss rush it was supposed to be, while the hype was still strong, and THEN work on a sequel with a more ambitious structure.
Hope the game does well sales wise, but the novelty of the art style, which was the main (only ?) appeal of the title has started to wear off.

Jigorath

Banned
Feels like it's lost a lot of hype with these delays. I think they should have stuck with their original vision for the game and released it in a timely manner.

this will be like no mans sky sadly... all this hype, it comes out and everyone going to be disappointed

This is nothing like No Man's Sky. We know what this game is and how it plays. We've even seen how disappointing the platforming seems to be, so most people dialed back their hype months ago.

Purest 78

-Final Fantasy XV
-The Last Guardian
-Gravity Rush 2
-Fate/Extella

Horizon,Crackdown,Halo wars2, also I think Scalebound and Sea of thieves.

This game is the new Below, even as Below is still Below...

There's no evidence this game IS going to be released...

This saddens me and also makes me lose interest.

Not that I like the practise at all but I'm surprised they didn't go the "Early Access" route and sell the game as a boss rush while working on adding the platforming levels.

I'll take the delay over supporting that model.

Spaghetti

That's disappointing.

I thought it would be out by the end of the year seeing how it made its debut two years ago, but I'm sure we'd all rather have it finished properly rather than rushed.

naitosan

Good, I'm all for it plus I'm already have too many games I need to finish.

2017 is going to be amazing year, with Project Scropio underway. Can't wait.

People need to understand that making games takes a long time, especially something as painstakingly animated as this.

Hopefully this follows in the footsteps of indie games like Fez and Inside and really delivers after a long dev cycle.

jholmes

Really bummed. Very disappointing that this game seems to perpetually be a year away.

However, when it does show, I will be ready.

ThisOne

Yeah i went from very interested to meh.

Yeah, was gonna say the same thing. Don't really care much at this point which is maybe a good thing since my expectations will be kept in check. If it ends up being mediocre, then whatever. But if it's great, then I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Dev: *Shows trailer*

Internet: OMG Steamboat Willie Megaman gimmie!

Dev: Actually it's a boss rush shmup

Internet :Boo hiss!

Dev: Fuck!

remember when this was revealed at E3 2014 and it said "coming in 2015!"

remember when they showed it at E3 2015 and said "Coming 2016!"

remember when its October and said "Coming 2017!"

also remember when fuckin' idiots asked for platforming so they added a bunch of boring ass platforming sections so the game can delayed even further

good job, everybody invovled

Amazing.

messiaen

Are they adding actual stages? It was basically a boss rush type game before right?

Yeah, that's why it was delayed out of last year. Too many people were asking for platforming levels that they decided to add them.

-Final Fantasy XV
-The Last Guardian
-Gravity Rush 2
-Fate/Extella

Below was delayed out of summer.

Top Bottom