• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead Release Window: Mid 2017

Its very hard to understand. Dont announce something until its close to being ready, you just annoy people when this happens. Duke Nukem, Last Guardian, etc. Next comment, this isn't Last Guardian.......
Yeah, indie games aren't like that. Indie game dev tends to be very transparent from the start. Go check out the Game Dev thread on GAF.

And either way, it doesn't matter. It's okay to not be hyped for something from the moment of announcement to the release. You can be patient. It's not hard. There are countless other games to distract you in between, and movies, and tv, and books, and music, and podcasts, and so on

Teeth

Skullgirls?

Not really. Each of their frames is more detailed than ours (they have full shading and gradienting on curved surfaces and more individual lines for the most part) but we run at a higher frame rate.

An attack by a Skullgirls character appears to take 8-12 frames, ours would probably take around 20 or more for the same thing. It's a different style of animation; all our stuff is done on ones, which basically no one does anymore.

RAM doesn't care about detail of frames for the most part (we're both ostensibly running at full colour depth), just the size and amount.

thelastword

Banned
remember when this was revealed at E3 2014 and it said "coming in 2015!"

remember when they showed it at E3 2015 and said "Coming 2016!"

remember when its October and said "Coming 2017!"

also remember when fuckin' idiots asked for platforming so they added a bunch of boring ass platforming sections so the game can delayed even further

good job, everybody invovled
Cuphead delayed again, by the time it releases whatever got people excited about it would have waned significantly. They had a vision with boss rush mode, people complained it didn't have traditional platforming, they tried to implement platforming which has not looked all that great....

It's always a dangerous thing to offset your vision on whims and fancies. They should have released their original vision of a game when all the hype existed, and by now should have been working on cuphead 2 maybe with platforming from the ground up. I'm not sure they will be in a good position when this eventually releases. I think alot of the hype for this game has subsided, so i'm not at all optimistic for sales or even great reviews...

Not really interested in it. I was when the first reveal seemed to be, to quote a gaffer on P1, looks like Megaman with early Disney animation graphics, I Was really interested. But then when the devs released info about the gameplay I was less interested. I'm not into schmups. I hope the game is good for people who are into them though.

Its very hard to understand. Dont announce something until its close to being ready, you just annoy people when this happens. Duke Nukem, Last Guardian, etc. Next comment, this isn't Last Guardian.......

I mean... Cuphead was announced in 2014, and the release is targeting 2017, and it was a small indie team doing the development. 3 years from announcement to release is still a pretty long time.

Duke Nukem Forever was announced in 1997. It was released in 2011. 14 years.
The Last Guardian was announced in 2009, it's targeting a 2016 release. 7 years.

Cuphead is not comparable.

I mean... Cuphead was announced in 2014, and the release is targeting 2017, and it was a small indie team doing the development. 3 years from announcement to release is a pretty long time.

Duke Nukem Forever was announced in 1997. It was released in 2011. 14 years.
The Last Guardian was announced in 2009, it's targeting a 2016 release. 7 years.

Cuphead is not comparable.
2-3 years is pretty common for larger scale indie games. Some of the more ambitious projects are in development for much much longer (6-10 years)

Teeth

I want to remind people what Cuphead looked like when it was announced:

EarlyCuphead_zpsob9rh3za.jpg

Teeth

For comparison

The game has come a long way, and it already looked impressive back then

Man, I wish I could show you more recent stuff. That Blob was the first boss animated. It's closer to that initial picture than stuff we have now.

I thought they came out and said there was more than just boss rushing in this game.

It is more than just boss rush. There are levels, a Mario style world map, shops to buy new weapons, places to gain new abilities.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Take the time that's needed to make it all work as intended. I was perfectly happy with it being a boss rush that made the focus as polished as possible.

Now that it's grown into more, I hope that "more" is polished to be just as grand.

I don't understand all the complaints about it's release time or pushbacks. If gaming showed that the big pros are rock-solid with these things, and only poor little indies mis-managed or under-estimated, that'd be one thing... but that's not the case at all.

I'm thankful for the communication, I'm glad the game continually has new things to show every once in a while, and I'm glad we know the kind of things that are keeping it held up. I find all of that to make the wait a lot less frustrating than it could be.

Hopefully, it'll get the promotion and discussion it needs upon release. I feel like a lot of downloadable games these days gets swept under the crazy amount of cross-posted multi-plat stuff that is constantly coming out on consoles now. Good old Summer of Arcade made the biggest DL game events feel like an awesome, focused release of high caliber stuff. Now, when something like Inside, Viking Squad, a PS4 Arcade Archive, or LASTFIGHT release on a console, I feel like barely anyone knows, or talks about any of it. It's really like there's much too much releasing all the time, and people focus on what comes out much less than they used to. Sony's PLAY events are the closest, but even thy feel like they don't generate as much noise as I'd expect.

So yeah, no rush. Though I'd love to see some promotion as we get closer and closer to the date. Not even big website interviews or such... daily screenshots and factoids would even be nice.

Not quite. It's modestly demanding on the RAM/VRAM.

There is a hell of a lot of frames. I'm not even sure which other game I can point to as a comparison.

This is what I have? Can I pull it off?

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

Report Date: Tuesday, October 11, 2016
Report Time [hh:mm:ss]: 9:41:14 PM
Operating System: Windows* 10 Home (10.0.14393)
Default Language: English (United States)
Physical Memory RAM: 8 GB

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Processor Speed: 2394 MHz
Processor Graphics in Use: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

pixelation

I honestly think that the CA effect does not fit the aesthetic that this game is going for, i remember watching old ass cartoons and don't remember them having CA issues. It makes the game look cheap somehow IMHO, i hope we can toggle it off.

Still looks dope though.

Noogy

Not quite. It's modestly demanding on the RAM/VRAM.

There is a hell of a lot of frames. I'm not even sure which other game I can point to as a comparison.

I would love to develop a 2D game with modern console memory. That said it's not unlimited, would be hell with those bosses.

Cuphead looks awesome. I've played it for five minutes and love the art style.

However, its focus on bosses and its great difficulty may turn me off.

Cuphead looks awesome. I've played it for five minutes and love the art style.

However, its focus on bosses and its great difficulty may turn me off.

It has an easy mode.

I've played the game twice now and loved it both times. As long as the core experience (the wonderful boss fights) remains intact, I'm there day 1.

malfcn

One last E3?

The expectations for this game are going to be hard to live up to. And the price may be tricky if it's got all this new production and been in development for many years.

One last E3?

The expectations for this game are going to be hard to live up to. And the price may be tricky if it's got all this new production and been in development for many years.

Regarding price, I'm sure Microsoft knows what they're doing. This isn't running on a AAA budget.

Ultimadrago

Oh man, I was looking so much to this game earlier this year...and still am!

I really hope it sticks to mid-2017, but I'm sure they'll only release when it's damn ready at this point. Assuming Microsoft isn't squeezing the brakes too much on them, of course.

psyfi

Banned
One last E3?

I wouldn't worry about overhype. There's plenty of people (like me) who've been curiously awaiting this game but aren't expecting it to be perfect.

Hale-XF11

That's great news actually. When it was first announced as just a boss rush mode, I was turned off. But with the scope and scale it has now, I'm totally on board again.

notacat

Will it remain an xbox exclusive forever? or like Tomb Raider, will it eventually get a PS4 release?

Really looking forward to it, such a unique look to it.

Sorry for the bump but Studio MDHR just put up a new FAQ that has some interesting facts.

Main takeaway is that its still coming mid 2017, its going to be around 25% platforming and 75% bosses, the platform levels we've seen have been are not indicative of the final game - they were missing final assets and all sorts.

http://studiomdhr.com/faq/

I thought this came out like last year, it's still not released?

Eh, I can wait to be honest, platformers aren't my favorite even if this one looks pretty unique.

The art is amazing, blows me away the way they have captured classic animation styling and character movement.

Gestault

The ratio of platforming to boss battles is actually encouraging for me. I was afraid there might be the impulse to stuff filler stages to make the content "longer," and it makes sense because of the design doc they were going with for most of development.

Top Bottom