• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curate the perfect retro console using only 2D indie games. Pick its games.

Speevy

Banned
So here it is.

Please skip down to the bottom past the quoted text if you don't want to read all these words. They're really not that important, unless you have a complaint. Then by all means, read these boring words.

Everyone loves the Super Nintendo. Whenever a thread asks what their favorite console is, the Super Nintendo wins out over all other 2D consoles, and many times it wins over the 3D ones too.

So I was thinking about all the strides independent developers have made to bring classic gameplay to the modern age. I would argue that there is a variation of every classic gameplay type that one can imagine, and there are plenty that were just invented in the last 10 years or so. It's amazing.

I'll give an example in Axiom Verge. This game pays its respects to Super Metroid in many ways, but in other ways, I prefer it to Nintendo's classic. Now that might sound like blasphemy, but I don't mean that it's a better game. It just makes that gameplay more accessible to me right now. And that's the whole point of it, I think. These developers remember classic game types fondly, but they know they need to be updated with some tweaks for modern sensibilities while still retaining depth and challenge, and even retaining those classic graphics.

There are so many great examples of pixel art and retro-like art styles out there. There are games that look like NES games. There are games that look like Atari games. There are games that look like SNES games. There are even games that favor the Playstation's capabilities of 2D graphics. Beyond that, the ability to play many games in HD has greatly enhanced our enjoyment of these titles.

But the Sonics and the Marios had a console for people to enjoy. We celebrate the captured nostalgia of "generations" that we'll never see again. I can play Sonic the Hedgehog on Steam or a current console, but it will never feel like it did in 1991.

That made me think of indies. Imagine if there was a console with just 2D indie games. Since computers exist, let's say this game comes with a killer OS with tons of fanfare and artwork. There's a handheld and HDMI version of this machine. It runs great, and costs just $19.99. That's settled so the first person doesn't tell me they already have that. So does everyone. I'm imagining "the SNES of indie gaming", but much more powerful.

Controllers: All USB and wireless, including the Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, and Bluetooth

Online: Cross-play with PC

Distribution: Physical and digital, prices vary by game, bundles frequently offered.

Storage: 1 TB hard drive

I imagine losing a shitload of money on this console, but I just wanted to tackle your inevitable questions before I get to the most important question.

WHAT GAMES ARE ON THIS DAMN THING?

That's up to you, but they have to be 2D indies.
Any and all genres, but this console is the "indie dream system" so only good stuff makes the cut.

Now a good system has something in the neighborhood of 15% of its library that is actually worth playing, but we're shooting for 100% here since we have such a huge number of games to choose from.

So here's what I want you to do. Post games you want on this system with a picture of the game. That's it. I'll keep track of the library. Please, only good 2D indie games.
It doesn't matter how old the indie game is.

140ss2.png

1001 Spikes

Affordable Space Adventures

And Yet It Moves

Axiom Verge

Aviary Attorney

Ballpoint Universe

The Binding of Isaac

The Binding of Isaac Rebirth

Braid

Breath of Death VII

The Bridge

Broforce

The Bug Butcher

Castle Crashers

Castle In the Darkness

Cave Story +

Chiptune Champion

Chronicles of Teddy

Cosmic Star Heroine

CRAWL

Crimzon Clover: World Ignition:

Crosscode

Crypt of the Necrodancer

Cthulu Saves the World

The Curse of Issyos

Dex

Downwell

Duck Game

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Dustforce

Electronic Super Joy

Elliot Quest

Enter the Gungeon

Environmental Station Alpha

Escape Goat

Escape Goat 2

Fez

Flywrench

Freedom Planet

FTL - Faster Than Light

Full Bore

Gaurodan

Guacamelee:

Gunpoint

Hohokum

Hotline Miami

Hydorah

Hyper Light Drifter

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

Invisible Inc.

Jamestown

Kentucky Route Zero

Knytt Stories

Knytt Underground

Kopanito All Stars Soccer

La~Mulana

Limbo

Lovers in Dangerous Spacetime

Maldita Castilla

Mark of the Ninja

Mighty Switch Force HD:

The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom

Momodora 3

Monster Boy

Mutant Mudds Deluxe

Nidhogg

Not A Hero

Odallus: The Dark Call

Olliolli

Olliolli 2

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition

Outland

Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 1-4

Read Only Memories

Retro City Rampage

Rogue Legacy

Runbow

Samurai Gunn

Savant Ascent

Scram Kitty and His Buddy On Rails

Secrets of Grindea

Shank

Shank 2

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse:

Shovel Knight

Skull GIrls

Snakebird

Snapshot

Soft Body

Sound Shapes

Spacechem

Spelunky

Steamworld Dig

Steamworld Heist

Stardew Valley

Stealth Inc. 2: A Game of Clones

The Sun and Moon

Super House of Dead Ninjas:

Super Meat Boy

Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe

Swords and Soldiers II

Tales from Space; Mutant Blobs Attack

Terraria

Thomas Was Alone

Titan Souls

Toki-Tori 2

Towerfall Ascension

Transistor

Undertale

VA-11 HALL-A

Vanguard Princess

Velocity 2X

Velocity Ultra

Volgarr the Viking:

VVVVVV

Wizorb

World of Goo

Xeodrifter

Xydonia

Yatagarasu

You Have To Win The Game

Yume Nikki

Towerfall, Enter the Gungeon, Shovel Knight, Terraria... I could probably spend a good 10-15 minutes rattling off 2D indie games with good reputations and compelling gameplay.

On mobile which means I'd probably end up posting broken image links
really, I am that helpless
, but I felt compelled to offer up a few titles until I realized how many I'd want on this imaginary platform.

Interested in the "final" list (assuming there's going to be discussion/argument over certain titles).

Speevy

Banned
This existed last gen with 360 live arcade. RIP.

Stardew Valley easily 1st pick.

No, XBLA and PSN both have much more than this. This is not a digital distribution service. This is the idea of the indies having their own retro console, like a topsy turvy alternate universe.

Just go with me and don't threadshit.

That picture of Super Meat Boy needs to go. Isn't that a prototype image of what Super Meat Boy on mobile might look like?

Here's a better pic:

maxresdefault.jpg

edit:

Adding Jamestown

14072847601_e712f0d323_b.jpg

A lot of my choices have already been posted. 1001 Spikes, Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, La Mulana EX, Enter the Gungeon, Jamestown+, Odallus, Undertale, Hotline Miami etc.

I'll add:

Cosmic Star Heroine
Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Cave Story+
Retro City Rampage (probably upcoming Shakedown Hawaii)
Electronic Superjoy
Olli Olli 1 & 2

Maybe Fullbore, Dustforce, Escape Goat 1 & 2? Kind of a different look. I don't think of flash, but if Super Meat Boy and Spelunky are on it, then I need Behemoth's games too.

Speevy

Banned
I think I've added pretty much everything that has been suggested so far.

I might be approaching the image limit, so I'll have to group some images together before too long.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The number of indie games that I feel actually capture what made 2D games great in the '90s is extremely small, but I would suggest the following, in addition to what's in the OP:

Volgarr the Viking:

volgarr_screen_02.png

Crimzon Clover: World Ignition:

81JvQa3iRoL.jpg

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse:

WUP-N_BSXE_gameplay_2.jpg

VA-11 HALL-A (hey, if Undertale and Stardew count, this counts):

2.png

Mighty Switch Force HD:

large.jpg

Super House of Dead Ninjas:

deadninja3-620x.jpg

Guacamelee:

ss_0ae81d50f72066713315c972f5a62c4111a75023.600x338.jpg

Hmm

I'll limit myself to 10 games, with a justification for each.

Shovel Knight - Would basically be the mascot game of the platform, and the easy-to-access platformer.
Undertale - Can't go wrong with Undertale!
Cave Story - A nice solid shooter title, good balance between story and gameplay.
Crypt of the NecroDancer - A great arcade-style music game.
World of Goo - A great puzzle game (gotta have at least one).
Spelunky - Excellent game for single player and multi-player
Guacamelee - Gotta have a beat 'em up.
Cosmic Star Heroine - Got bored of coming up with justifications, it's good
Aviary Attorney - Great adventure game.
Odallus: The Dark Call - For that classic Castlevania action.

Speevy

Banned
I have added everyone's up to this post I think.

Bear in mind I haven't played every game here, so when I search for pictures, I just grab one. Sometimes the game I grab isn't the game you listed. That's the only reason I asked people to link pictures lol.

I'm a sucker for physical game cartridges. If this was a console and these games were all on cartridge, I'd buy the heck out of it.

Top Bottom