• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curate the perfect retro console using only 2D indie games. Pick its games.

I'm on the worst internet right now, so I'll try to add pics later, or someone else can properly suggest, but folks, where the heck is FTL?

I think we also need more couch multiplayer party games too.

So..

FTL

xRfRKNph.jpg

Duck Game (if it hasn't been mentioned yet)

duck-game-1.jpg

CRAWL (early access, and I hate that, but this game is solid already.. Just needs more bosses, but a brilliant game game where winning means taking the role of the human player and going 1 vs 3 against your friends as they attempt to kill you with monsters and traps in order to take the human role themselves.)

Crawl-PC-Screenshot-2.jpg

Samurai Gunn

2530071-4045396482-samur.png

The Bug Butcher

BugButcher02.jpg

Skull Girls

skullgirls-2nd-encore-pc-screenshot-www.ovagames.com-5.jpg

I see people already mentioned FTL and others I was going to say, so let me point at the glaring elephant in the room: the lack of Locomalito's incredible (and free!) games.

Hydorah:
hydorah_02.png

hydorah_03.png

hydorah_04.png

hydorah_05.png

hydorah_06.png

Maldita Castilla:
maldita_castilla_03.png

maldita_castilla_04.png

maldita_castilla_05.png

maldita_castilla_06.png

maldita_castilla_07.png

maldita_castilla_08.png

Maldita%20Castilla12.jpg

Gaurodan:
gaurodan_04.png

gaurodan_05.png

gaurodan_06.png

gaurodan_07.png

gaurodan_08.png

The Curse of Issyos:
curse_of_issyos_01.png

curse_of_issyos_02.png

curse_of_issyos_03.png

curse_of_issyos_04.png

curse_of_issyos_05.png

curse_of_issyos_06.png

Wow! Those look great. Never heard of them!
I'd pay just to have them in my steam library.

Yeah, Broforce is pretty good. Lacks a little polish, but maybe they worked out the kinks since release. Still really fun!

Speevy

Banned
All right guys.

I added everyone's picks and fixed the formatting so all the images are now in quotes.

I don't know about Pac-Man Championship Edition. Someone mentioned that. Is that an indie game?

Please let me know if there are any more mistakes.

pmj

Are we being asked to imagine a PC and some nice PC games to play on it, with the only thing to set it apart from the devices you already own being that it's cheap?

I can certainly imagine a modern take on a 16-bit console but it would be nothing like this.

Speevy

Banned
Are we being asked to imagine a PC and some nice PC games to play on it, with the only thing to set it apart from the devices you already own being that it's cheap?

I can certainly imagine a modern take on a 16-bit console but it would be nothing like this.

No.

I'm asking to imagine an alternative universe where, in the year 2016, indie developers were able to get their own 2D console like the Super Nintendo.

16 bit is way too restrictive. I'd say it would have to be pretty powerful, enough to output HD graphics and 60 FPS.

I'm saying that these games, which currently exist mainly on download services, are instead given their chance to shine on a machine dedicated to them. Think of it as a big fish in a small pond scenario, instead of a small fish in an ocean which is what we have now.

It would be pretty hard to miss Sonic the Hedgehog if you bought a Genesis. Now imagine if it were equally as hard to miss Axiom Verge.

It's just a fun thread. Don't think about it too much,and list some games.

Wow! Those look great. Never heard of them!
I'd pay just to have them in my steam library.

You never heard of them because they're free. The two guys that make then (one makes the music, the other, Locomalito, everything else) do so solely for the art (they have day jobs) and feel that selling them would force them to tailor them to the market. Consequently, these games have zero exposure or marketing. I wholeheartedly recommend everyone to try them, they play every bit as good as they look.

Also glad to see them added to the OP. With all of those amazing games listed one after the other, one can't help but feel that the current age is a veritable renaissance for 2D gaming! Can't help but smile at that turn of events; a decade ago I was all but mourning its apparent demise. :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
A few indie-developed RPGs not on the list:

Yume Nikki
Ib
Americana Dawn
Aurian
Breath of Death VII
Cthulu Saves the World
Penny Arcade 3 and 4

Maybe even add RPG Maker and its various games to it? (the old RPG Makers got console releases!)

Gotta say this thread is amazing for hunting down good 2D indie games, I know 95% of the ones mentioned in the OP and they're almost universally good or great, but for example I didn't know about Downwell and its simple art style attracted me a lot. On checking it it seems like a vertical House of Dead Ninja which is awesome, and it's 1.50€ thanks to Steam's summer sale, so needless to say I just bought it.

Edit: Would Klei's games be eligible? I know they straddle the line between indie and non, and between retro and non. If they're eligible, I nominate Shank 1/2, but especially Mark of the Ninja and Invisible, Inc.

Apparently I've been living the dream playing low end games on my laptop connected to a big screen using steam big picture mode with a controller and I didn't even know it.

Actually I kind of did, I just wanted to point out that this exists for anyone who wants to experience the future and the past together at last.

No 20 dollar machine is going to run a lot of these games though. 100 dollars would be a lot more achievable.

Do games like top down soccer/football games fit within the 2d constraints, btw? There are a bunch of these in early access on steam that make me nostalgic for an era I didn't even witness.

For example, Kopanito All-Stars Soccer:

Kopanito%20All-Stars%20Soccer%203.jpg

Gotta say this thread is amazing for hunting down good 2D indie games, I know 95% of the ones mentioned in the OP and they're almost universally good or great, but for example I didn't know about Downwell and its simple art style attracted me a lot. On checking it it seems like a vertical House of Dead Ninja which is awesome, and it's 1.50€ thanks to Steam's summer sale, so needless to say I just bought it.
Downwell fucking rules! Killer way to waste time.

Speevy

Banned
Guys, I appreciate your enthusiasm for the Kickstarter indie game community, and I applaud anyone's effort to release a game.

However, let's try to limit this thread to games people can play right now, either by purchasing or free.

Top Bottom