• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Curleh Mustache Tournament Series 2 - UMvC3 Invitational

ReiGun

I was rooting for Marlin the whole time (cause I love watching him go in. Plus, I'm just so happy he finally learned how to block), but I respect the hell out of Chris G's lame play. Marvel is all about BS. That includes lame BS. Deal with it.

Neki

I think 3/5 suits zoning teams more than 2/3. I don't know if Chris G could get away with this as his main team in a regular tourney setting. If he loses Morrigan, he's basically lost the match 90% of the time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Great tournament, great experience. Not sure if it tops Curleh Mustache #1, I don't think so, but it was great. Lots of salt, lot's of bullshit, and that's what I like. Get hype for Curleh Mustache #3.

Beef going top tier?! D:

(My main team also uses Doom. Even if I don't actually know how to play him. Dem hidden missiles)

Maaaaaaaybe. I'll never ditch Joe on point, but if I go Doom anchor, then I lose my Frank/Ryu tatsu mixup, and I love that shit. But learning how to use Doom is also good for learning how to fight him, so I dunno yet.

Maybe players should stop practicing their wesker magic series combos and put some time into adapting to playstyles very far out of the norm.

That is what I want to see out of this game. The rushdown and the anti-rushdown. The lame and the anti-lame.
Just patch it instead. It's much quicker in the end.

#Kappa

El Sloth

Banned
This would be amazing now that I think about it. I don't know of any projectiles that come from above like hidden missiles, but there is no doubt in my mind that one will come eventually.

The best part is that you'll be able to set that move as an assist no matter what! :)
This is probably still my favorite part of that game. A character that you like doesn't have to have shitty assists! Thank you based Mike Z.

I'm now hoping hard that the 8th character or one of the first two eventual DLC characters has something like it. Umbrella's design makes me think she might lean to zoning...

Dahbomb

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I missed the hype due to time zone fuck up. :(

Catching up the archives now. (I feel sad to be not with my GAF brethren in the moment of hype. Marvel bingo was GODLIKE!)

svegis

Missed the last few hours, caught it in the archives, excellent tourney. Might not top the first one, but wasn't far off. Glad Marlin won too!

Dahbomb

Tournament/hype recap:

Yipes + Chris w/ curley mustaches = GODLIKE!!!

Unknown vs Moons: Moons has a very technical team and a very proficient Ammy/Taskmaster but he got clipped way too often by armored moves/slow moves due to lack of defense. His team didn't have the damage of Unknown's. Unknown played really solid especially with Nemesis, he always knew which button to press at what time. Moons is a technician with all his characters, love watching him play.

OmgitzAndre = DMG sponsorship

MarlinPie vs Alukard: Yea I forgot the history on this match. MarlinPie got eliminated against Alukard due to arriving late at Apex. THIS SET WAS GODLIKE!!! THANK YOU BASED MARVEL GODS!!!! MY DICK WAS ROCK HARD FROM THE HYPE CONTAINED WITHIN!!!! THANK GOD FOR AUTO CORRECT PROTON CANNON! But holy shit at MarlinPie he played his best game today including this set and the main tournament.

I have to say that I am disappointed that Alukard doesn't hit confirm off of the cr.M with the KrispyKreme combo. Twice he had the combo but opted to go for the Unibeam because he wasn't sure of the hit confirm. Also IRON PATRIOT COSTUME FOR THE WIN!

Oh and the Proton Cannon thing wasn't a glitch... that's one of IM's new changes. If you do Repulsor blast you do the motion for the Proton Cannon and it will come out no matter which direction the opponent ends up facing after Repulsor Blast. This is to prevent the Iron Avenger LVL3 from coming out if you wanted the LVL3.

Noel vs OMGitsAndre: YOU DON'T MESS WITH NOEL THE BEST THERE IS!!!! Dat troll team treatment. Noel brings the "best there is" play, calls out the win score before even playing the game like a true boss. OMG dropped the anti-Phoenix tech to lose the match.

NOEL BROWN WITH DAT DISRESPECTFUL POP OFF!!! THIS IS WHAT I WANNA SEE!!!!

ChrisG vs Demon Hyo: LMAO @ Demon Hyo popping off calling CHRIS GENIUS a FRAUD! GTFO of here son your Chun Li is ASS! Yea yea I know Chun isn't that good (and he just did it for the hype, there isn't actual beef between the two) but I have seen people play Chun WAY better than him and he has been playing that character since day 1 vanilla. You got some balls calling out Chris Godlike. Set was FREE as expected.

Off topic but I heard that ChrisG considers Morrigan top 5 in this game. That is a ballsy pick right there but hey at least he is backing it up.

Catching up on the rest of the tournament now.

rocK`

Banned
Tournament/hype recap:

Yipes + Chris w/ curley mustaches = GODLIKE!!!

Unknown vs Moons: Moons has a very technical team and a very proficient Ammy/Taskmaster but he got clipped way too often by armored moves/slow moves due to lack of defense. His team didn't have the damage of Unknown's. Unknown played really solid especially with Nemesis, he always knew which button to press at what time. Moons is a technician with all his characters, love watching him play.

OmgitzAndre = DMG sponsorship

MarlinPie vs Alukard: Yea I forgot the history on this match. MarlinPie got eliminated against Alukard due to arriving late at Apex. THIS SET WAS GODLIKE!!! THANK YOU BASED MARVEL GODS!!!! MY DICK WAS ROCK HARD FROM THE HYPE CONTAINED WITHIN!!!! THANK GOD FOR AUTO CORRECT PROTON CANNON! But holy shit at MarlinPie he played his best game today including this set and the main tournament.

I have to say that I am disappointed that Alukard doesn't hit confirm off of the cr.M with the KrispyKreme combo. Twice he had the combo but opted to go for the Unibeam because he wasn't sure of the hit confirm. Also IRON PATRIOT COSTUME FOR THE WIN!

Oh and the Proton Cannon thing wasn't a glitch... that's one of IM's new changes. If you do Repulsor blast you do the motion for the Proton Cannon and it will come out no matter which direction the opponent ends up facing after Repulsor Blast. This is to prevent the Iron Avenger LVL3 from coming out if you wanted the LVL3.

Noel vs OMGitsAndre: YOU DON'T MESS WITH NOEL THE BEST THERE IS!!!! Dat troll team treatment. Noel brings the "best there is" play, calls out the win score before even playing the game like a true boss. OMG dropped the anti-Phoenix tech to lose the match.

ChrisG vs Demon Hyo: LMAO @ Demon Hyo popping off calling CHRIS GENIUS a FRAUD! GTFO of here son your Chun Li is ASS! Yea yea I know Chun isn't that good (and he just did it for the hype, there isn't actual beef between the two) but I have seen people play Chun WAY better than him and he has been playing that character since day 1 vanilla. You got some balls calling out Chris Godlike. Set was FREE as expected.

Off topic but I heard that ChrisG considers Morrigan top 5 in this game. That is a ballsy pick right there but hey at least he is backing it up.

Catching up on the rest of the tournament now.

Can we just get one post in this thread without people throwing every single FGC fad comment at us?

I can't even read this shit.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Can we just get one post in this thread without people throwing every single FGC fad comment at us?

Then don't? I can see it from your perspective but the FGC is what it is. Take it or leave it.

So MP won. I went to sleep after the second match or so. What did Noel place?

The game is continuing to evolve so each tournament will bring something new.

Then don't? I can see it from your perspective but the FGC is what it is. Take it or leave it.

So MP won. I went to sleep after the second match or so. What did Noel place?

The game is continuing to evolve so each tournament will bring something new.

Noel got 4th.

The archives are totally worth watching. Marlinpie played amazingly all night. ChrisG brought an extra large shipment of the lame stuff. Grand final was magical.

Azure J

MarlinPie was totally the MVP of this shit. Those Doom combos proved once and for all that Doom is above mere natural phenomena like gravity... Or hitstun. :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Had to rewatch the MarlinPie Doom combo again, at 29:57 here: http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/306891413

Watching Doom go nuts like that is why he's been my favorite and why he was in my first team from the beginning - and if I was wasn't so lazy this weekend, I could have picked up UMvC3 on special for 24 bones, and now its too late.

Bed's still comfy right now.

MarlinPie was totally the MVP of this shit. Those Doom combos proved once and for all that Doom is above mere natural phenomena like gravity... Or hitstun. :lol

Yeah, at this point Marlin's Doom impresses me more than Clockwork's does. That might just be because Marlin is flashier, but damn that is some good shit to watch. It's like, "Doom can do that??? :O"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Had to rewatch the MarlinPie Doom combo again, at 29:57 here: http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/306891413

Watching Doom go nuts like that is why he's been my favorite and why he was in my first team from the beginning - and if I was wasn't so lazy this weekend, I could have picked up UMvC3 on special for 24 bones, and now its too late.

Bed's still comfy right now.
He did it multiple times throughout the tourney, and it was hype every time.

I remember seeing MarlinPie's Doom when he first picked him up and he couldn't do shit, it was beyond fraudulent. MarlinPie goes into hiding, comes out and has by far and away the best Doom of anyone. Oh and learning that ridiculous TAC combo from Ryan Hunter's stream helps too. He learned that shit in like a day, goddamn.

Neki

I wonder if Chris G could replace Akuma with Wesker using Jaguar Kick. Would make his team stronger. o_O

or even Ryu with Tatsu assist.

Dahbomb

I didn't even use SWAG in that post. /Kappa

For real... when people get hyped for Marvel they get HYPED! And this tournament was hype... still catching up on the main tournament and it has been a blast. Definitely agreed that you could see evolution in the level of play and tech displayed there. Hell EVEN Noel Brown aka "best in the world" had optimized his combos with Wolverine and Frank West.

I wonder if Chris G could replace Akuma with Wesker using Jaguar Kick. Would make his team stronger. o_O
Troll post? Tatsu assist is a major component of that team.

Neki

I didn't even use SWAG in that post. /Kappa

For real... when people get hyped for Marvel they get HYPED! And this tournament was hype... still catching up on the main tournament and it has been a blast. Definitely agreed that you could see evolution in the level of play and tech displayed there. Hell EVEN Noel Brown aka "best in the world" had optimized his combos with Wolverine and Frank West.

Troll post? Tatsu assist is a major component of that team.

Yeah but his Akuma is shit. If he loses Morrigan without doing any damage, he has nothing left besides foot dive doom.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Marlin 'Defense' Pie won? Awesome.
I only watched one match and Marlin Pie pulled one of the sickest CViper + Doom combos ive ever seen.

Best C. Viper in the Universe confirmed

On a side note, I am stoked that Yipes + ChrisMatrix will be the regular commentators for the Curleh Mustache series. Best duo in the business IMO. That was just wishful thinking when I put them on that bingo square.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
On a side note, I am stoked that Yipes + ChrisMatrix will be the regular commentators for the Curleh Mustache series. Best duo in the business IMO. That was just wishful thinking when I put them on that bingo square.
I wanna see Yipes play though against all these other killers :(

Yep. Matrix hit "Best Color Commentator" status midway through Grand finals last night. The level of disgust/respect he had for Chris G's lame tactics was hilarious...when the R&B medley started that shit turned legendary.

My list:

1. Yipes/Matrix
2. Rush Hour
3. UltraChen

Yep. Matrix hit "Best Color Commentator" status midway through Grand finals last night. The level of disgust/respect he had for Chris G's lame tactics was hilarious...when the R&B medley started that shit turned legendary.

My list:

1. Yipes/Matrix
2. Rush Hour
3. UltraChen

That's a good list.

rocK`

Banned

Not sure I agree - as someone who helped kick off the initial FGC in Long Island (more so SweetJohnnyCage/iloveu) and who has spent a considerable amount of time with Noel, Justin, Yipes, Andre, etc. my issue isn't with 'the FGC speak', it's how people are misusing it / overusing it.

Take for instance, this sentence:

you won't ever hear anyone say 'dat disrespectful pop off', there's no point to it, popping off is disrespectful, and you don't 'dat' pop off.

I think you get my point.

Dahbomb

you won't ever hear anyone say 'dat disrespectful pop off', there's no point to it, popping off is disrespectful, and you don't 'dat' pop off.
I was pretty much repeating what Yipes and co were saying on commentary. If it wasn't obvious already.

Seriously... analysing usage of FGC memes? I don't go out of my way correcting people for improper usage of the word "pringles" yet 90% of the people here use it incorrectly anyway.

El Sloth

Banned
I was pretty much repeating what Yipes and co were saying on commentary. If it wasn't obvious already.

Seriously... analysing usage of FGC memes? I don't go out of my way correcting people for improper usage of the word "pringles" yet 90% of the people here use it incorrectly anyway.

And for that matter people have also been misusing scrub for years now (me included).

rocK`

Banned

Why wouldn't you want to educate them? That doesn't make too much sense...

fyi: pringles - someone who is pringles means they have shitty defense [cant block left/right mixups, etc], so its easy to 'open them up', it's a shoutout to the slogan: once you pop the fun dont stop.

Duxxy3

swag swag swag

Seriously though - the only commentators that are serious are the ultrachen team. The others are there to hype up people watching the stream or because someone went to take a piss.

Top Bottom