• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Zajora

Damn that is pretty nice. I would be torn to using this or the original JPN one. This one reminds me of US Ace Attorney 1 box art but having a translated AA5 boxart would like nice with the other releases. I and I know other Ace Attorney fans would greatly appreciate it.

Wasn't sure exactly which cover you meant (Google returned several different ones) but took a stab at it:

Any good ones for Elder Scrolls III Morrowind?

Thought I'd try making a cover:

Wasn't too sure which way to to with this, so not especially happy with the result. I might try something else tomorrow.

Here's another cover that somebody else made. (No small version, sorry)

Grief.exe

Thought I'd try making a cover:

Wasn't too sure which way to to with this, so not especially happy with the result. I might try something else tomorrow.

Here's another cover that somebody else made. (No small version, sorry)

Those are gorgeous, can't wait to see what else you come up with tomorrow.

Mind uploading them without the PC DVD logo?

That other Morrowind one was actually done by me :)

Squalliczek

Neo Member
Hello, this is my first post on the site. I have to admit that all the covers on the site are outstanding. Congratulations to the authors. I appeal to deprive the authors of these three covers. If there was a possibility that I would really ask for minor changes. Thanks in advance.

NFS: HP --> Removing Logos PSN (Front and Back) and Region Code
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?af1t3l38e1abfjj#

Batman: AC --> Removing Logos PSN (Back), and Logo Batman on the side and alignment string
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vsfbmci5bxmncfc#

Batman: AA --> Removing Logo Batman on the side and alignment string
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48309513/Cover%20Art/Batman%20AA/Batman.jpg

Looking for a cover to NFS Shift 2: Unleashed :)

Thank you.

Regards :]

Zajora

Hello, this is my first post on the site. I have to admit that all the covers on the site are outstanding. Congratulations to the authors. I appeal to deprive the authors of these three covers. If there was a possibility that I would really ask for minor changes. Thanks in advance.

NFS: HP --> Removing Logos PSN (Front and Back) and Region Code
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?af1t3l38e1abfjj#

Batman: AC --> Removing Logos PSN (Back), and Logo Batman on the side and alignment string
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?vsfbmci5bxmncfc#

Batman: AA --> Removing Logo Batman on the side and alignment string
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48309513/Cover%20Art/Batman%20AA/Batman.jpg

Looking for a cover to NFS Shift 2: Unleashed :)

Thank you.

Regards :]

How's this?

Those are gorgeous, can't wait to see what else you come up with tomorrow.

Hmm.. This isn't quite what I had hoped (I was hoping I'd be able to make the embossed parts more realistic):

Zajora

Wow That looks amazing.

My only knock against it is you can't really see the logos, especially the one on the spine.

Hmm.. You might be right. It's definitely hard to see in the small version, but I figured it was visible enough in the full. Alright, updated it to be a lighter color. (I replaced the file directly, so the version you quoted is now the lighter one)

..though I did actually change the name of the full version, so here's the working link:

Grief.exe

Hmm.. You might be right. It's definitely hard to see in the small version, but I figured it was visible enough in the full. Alright, updated it to be a lighter color. (I replaced the file directly, so the version you quoted is now the lighter one)

..though I did actually change the name of the full version, so here's the working link:

That looks gorgeous.

Would you mind uploading one without the PC/DVD on the spine? Thanks.

That Morrowind cover is magnificent.

I request a custom cover for Final Fantasy XIV for the PC. There isn't one and the official cover is basically a mugshot of a dude. Didn't Amano make some official logo for this game ? If yes, then the game is in need of an old-school Final Fantasy cover of that logo on a white background. I'd also like to see another one with some beautiful and lush landscape covering all the cover, both front and back. Something that portrays the world the player is about to set foot in, you know ?

Thanks, Gaf.

edit: the game will also be released for PS3 and PS4, so maybe make such versions in advance ? From what we've seen, PS4 game cases seem to be the same size as the PS3 ones. I'm not sure about the font though.

edit2: yup, both logos use the same font. See here for PS4 and here for PS3.

Zajora

That Morrowind cover is magnificent.

I request a custom cover for Final Fantasy XIV for the PC. There isn't one and the official cover is basically a mugshot of a dude. Didn't Amano make some official logo for this game ? If yes, then the game is in need of an old-school Final Fantasy cover of that logo on a white background. I'd also like to see another one with some beautiful and lush landscape covering all the cover, both front and back. Something that portrays the world the player is about to set foot in, you know ?

Thanks, Gaf.

edit: the game will also be released for PS3 and PS4, so maybe make such versions in advance ? From what we've seen, PS4 game cases seem to be the same size as the PS3 ones. I'm not sure about the font though.

edit2: yup, both logos use the same font. See here for PS4 and here for PS3.

Here are some variations:

Zajora

Just quoting this because I've been looking for it and it's beautiful.

Hah, well you did have quite a positive reaction last time you saw it..

Sweet baby goddamn. Sweet mother of holy fuck.

FUCKIN GOLFHAM

ffffathththth

Who made this?

Also, just incase you didn't know and are interested in finding more covers without having to look through the thread for the ones that aren't listed on the index in the first post, I made a Dropbox that I uploaded a copy of all the covers into. You can easily browse by console, or search for games by name. Click here to view the public folder.

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to make a custom cover for the original Mass Effect(PS3 Version). Basically I want the cover just to be like the European box art for ME1 that came with ME Trilogy but with the US ratings and logos. I want my copy of ME to match the other ME games.

I was able to find these examples but couldn't find the link to download the cover or the cover was too low resolution for printing.

Something like this

or this

Thanks

hurzelein

Trine 2

I love that there are a mass of artworks/big screenshots available on the internet, love when studios publish these, there are games where I can hardly put together a cover because I can't find usable artworks.

Worked with this, it's also available in higher resolution, but just want to give you an impression here:

Edit: Realized not only I posted a smaller picture here before but also that there is an even bigger one available than the one I used.

wallpaper_trine_2.jpg

I wanted the three guys to be on the front side, so the used artwork was much too small. Had to fake a lot of content to make it fit. The "Fill based on content"-Photoshop-function is sometimes such a great tool for this. Sure it doesn't work in every situation an you always have to put a lot of effort in afterwards to fix objects/details (Vegetation, rocks, trees) and make it look good, but just to create some background you can work with it's great!

Click for high resolution

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Just chiming in to say this is one of my favourite threads on the forum. I love grabbing specific images and forwarding them to friends who worked on the games in question. Keep it up.

Zajora

Decided to make an Oblivion cover just for completeness (Let's pretend Arena/Daggerfall don't exist)

Trine 2

I love that there are a mass of artworks/big screenshots available on the internet, love when studios publish these, there are games where I can hardly put together a cover because I can't find usable artworks.

Worked with this, it's also available in higher resolution, but just want to give you an impression here:

trine-2-01_182635-480x360.jpg

I wanted the three guys to be on the front side, so the used artwork was much too small. Had to fake a lot of content to make it fit. The "Fill based on content"-Photoshop-function is sometimes such a great tool for this. Sure it doesn't work in every situation an you always have to put a lot of effort in afterwards to fix objects/details (Vegetation, rocks, trees) and make it look good, but just to create some background you can work with it's great!

Wow, that's pretty amazing. Did you actually draw the details by hand? I wouldn't think the content aware fill would be capable of anything approaching that.

hurzelein

O boy, realized I put in the wrong picture, edited it above. Still, faked/Fixed a lot of detail with the content aware Brush and Patch-Tool (dunno how it is really called in the english version) and put some details in it with the "Darker"-Tool.

But no, I can't do things like that little lantern by myself, that would be awesome :D

Changed it again but now it's my final version.

hurzelein

Shame there are so few 360 ones, I'd love to do this for my whole library but so many (big) games are missing.

Zajora did a great job in reviving the thread, now get on board people!

I never used Photoshop before I started this hobby. I probably don't know 1% of the stuff possible but to get better in it it really paid off also in university etc.!

@Zajora: I'd be really interested how you get this "used" look on a lot of your covers. The black stains on the Morrorwind one for example.

Zajora

Shame there are so few 360 ones, I'd love to do this for my whole library but so many (big) games are missing.

If any covers aren't available in a format you're looking for, you can always just ask for a version made for your system. Best case scenario is that the original creator is still around and can just do a quick swap, or someone else could make a similar cover for your console.

Otherwise you can always just request a cover. I'd be happy to help, or someone else could if they'd be willing.

Zajora did a great job in reviving the thread, now get on board people!

I never used Photoshop before I started this hobby. I probably don't know 1% of the stuff possible but to get better in it it really paid off also in university etc.!

@Zajora: I'd be really interested how you get this "used" look on a lot of your covers. The black stains on the Morrorwind one for example.

Aww, thank you. :)

Generally, the used look is a combination of layers set to overlay/multiply. Usually I've got a solid colour, under a texture (adjusted with curves/contrast/etc) set to overlay, which is under a gradient layer on multiply. I also use the dodge and burn tools to add some variation in textures that are too plain.

ekim

Thanks!

Changed a few things with the mockup. Not sure I'm loving the icons, but I made an "i" for info (a popup with maybe upload date, comments, etc) and a heart to favourite a cover, which will be the basis of sorting by popularity.

iFMfx7aMYGMVM.png

Are you actually doing this site or is this is just a mockup? If you need any help designing/implementing the site, PM me. :)

Zajora

Are you actually doing this site or is this is just a mockup? If you need any help designing/implementing the site, PM me. :)

Well, I started but unfortunately I don't know anything about web design or databases so I had to kind of start learning it. If you'd like to help that'd be wonderful, but I don't want to raise expectations or anything - I have to imagine that for this to work properly it would require a lot of work, which might not actually end up happening.

I think that we'd need the front end site to act as a gallery, as well as some kind of database to use for associating the images (preferably hosted on dropbox to save on bandwidth) with their metadata (game, cover-maker, creation date, etc). Since I believe this should be NeoGAF member exclusive so as to distinguish itself from sites like vgboxart, there would need to be some way for ensuring random people couldn't start submitting random things. Either there would be some kind of code that would be embedded in an email tag on GAF that would need to be entered to submit covers to the site, or perhaps there could be some kind of script that would check the thread for posts matching a format to indicate that a cover was contained.

These are some of my thoughts from an earlier post:

Misc ideas:

• This grid-style of page would be used to display covers in most (all?) situations. Perhaps there could be some kind of text-only version like the existing OP.
  • The grid's size would be changed depending on screen size, so a 1920x1080 monitor would probably see a 5-wide grid.
  • "Cover" in the navigation bar would have a dropdown menu with links to each system's covers. The listings have the option to be sorted alphabetically or by some kind of popularity measure.
  • "Templates" links to a page with download links for both the printable-template and 3D-box files.
  • "Submit" would be for adding covers. Ideally they would be hosted on Dropbox and there would be some kind of program watching the folders (the local versions on my PC) that would run the Photoshop actions to create the 3D previews. I have no idea how realistic that is, though. The benefit would be that it probably wouldn't be too difficult to simply re-do all the previews if the template was changed. EDIT: Maybe this isn't such a good idea, since it would open it up to non-gaffers submitting covers, which would kind of defeat the purpose. It'd also mean that we'd have to take people on their own word about who they were, which could lead to people impersonating others. I'm thinking instead there could be some way of tagging links in the thread on GAF that would let a script download the files automatically.
  • Covers can be discovered by searches, the cover navigation, or by clicking the game/creator name of a viewed cover.
  • The 3D preview is always a link to the full size printable version of the cover.
  • Should there be separate pages or should it just load more covers as you scroll down? Perhaps a combination of both? I'm not sure how many images you'd have to load for there to be an issue (assuming you scroll down at a reasonable pace)
  • Section for pictures of printed covers (under "about" section?)

I like to pretend Skyrim doesn't exist.

Well, the only two TES games I've played are Oblivion and Skyrim, so I can't really compare the past entries. :p

Grief.exe

Well, the only two TES games I've played are Oblivion and Skyrim, so I can't really compare the past entries. :p

Morrowind is the best of the series in terms of story, atmosphere, setting, and depth. One of the best WRPGs of all time and one of my favorite games of all time.

Oblivion had good quests, but you could see they started to dumb it down. Skyrim just drove it off a cliff with the amount of streamlining.

Morrowind can still look quite gorgeous with mods. Interestingly enough, all three games actually run on the same engine.

Zajora

I also offer my help for random stuff that need to be done for this to happen.

Any help would be appreciated. On that note, if anyone is interested in signing up for Dropbox, if they use this link to do so, it would be much appreciated. Each referral adds 500mb of extra space. Currently, the Dropbox is hosting 1931 files (a portion of which are the 3D previews of the covers) taking up 4GB of the available 4.38GB. I've been compressing some of the larger covers to save space (sometimes going from a 20MB PNG to a ~800KB JPG with no noticeable quality loss) but eventually it will run out of space.

I was thinking that maybe if Dropbox doesn't end up working we could use Amazon S3 instead. The downside is that their free tier has limited get/put requests which would mean we'd probably have to use one of the paid plans, which just makes this whole thing more serious. :p

Morrowind is the best of the series in terms of story, atmosphere, setting, and depth. One of the best WRPGs of all time and one of my favorite games of all time.

Oblivion had good quests, but you could see they started to dumb it down. Skyrim just drove it off a cliff with the amount of streamlining.

Morrowind can still look quite gorgeous with mods. Interestingly enough, all three games actually run on the same engine.

I got Morrowind in a Steam sale awhile back. I started it but didn't get too far, maybe because it was pretty ugly. I think I started to try some mods but ran into problems and gave up. (Too lazy :3)

WHAT

This thread is amazing! Love what you guys are doing... keep up the great work! Also:
Just chiming in to say this is one of my favourite threads on the forum. I love grabbing specific images and forwarding them to friends who worked on the games in question. Keep it up.

:O

hurzelein

One suggestion, if a site is really going to happen someday (No pressure :D):

Upload with Printables only. The thing I hate about vgboxart is that there are so many talented guys, that really know how to use Photoshop professionally, and all they do is to create some mockups and present them. Sure, they don't want people to copy their work and mark them as their own, but c'mon.

Zajora

One suggestion, if a site is really going to happen someday (No pressure :D):

Upload with Printables only. The thing I hate about vgboxart is that there are so many talented guys, that really know how to use Photoshop professionally, and all they do is to create some mockups and present them. Sure, they don't want people to copy their work and mark them as their own, but c'mon.

That was my plan. The only ones I've added to the Dropbox have been printable sizes, though some people have designed covers at strange resolutions that are unlikely to print well. (This is why that neat Wind Waker art from a page or two ago isn't there :d)

Zajora

This one is the best and could use a PS3 and PS4 cover. It'll be the one I use when the game comes out on PS4.

On a note: I think you'll be the first one to create a custom cover for a PS4 game; on the planet ! :)

Alrighty. I think that was my favourite of the minimal ones, too.

Also: I noticed that for some reason the font has a disproportionately small "X" which was noticeable on the back, so I fixed the PC version as well. If you've already saved a copy you might want to replace it.

Re PS4: Haha, I'm sure someone else has beaten me to it. In fact, we've already had a PS4 cover made in this thread! Well, at least now it'll have company.

So I got inspired and I thought I'd do a little PhotoShopping myself. Need to break in a new tablet anyway. My hope is that I can do some good and trusted PC games some justice.

First off was FTL, came out alright. Hope it's cool that I just took a few screenshots and threw some stuff together.

Not sure which to do next, but I plan on another if people like this one.

As an aside, that script is awesome.

RedSwirl

Alrighty. I think that was my favourite of the minimal ones, too.

Also: I noticed that for some reason the font has a disproportionately small "X" which was noticeable on the back, so I fixed the PC version as well. If you've already saved a copy you might want to replace it.

Re PS4: Haha, I'm sure someone else has beaten me to it. In fact, we've already had a PS4 cover made in this thread! Well, at least now it'll have company.

Hmmm... I'm getting ideas...

Think we could do this for the other FF games on PS3?

Zajora

So I got inspired and I thought I'd do a little PhotoShopping myself. Need to break in a new tablet anyway. My hope is that I can do some good and trusted PC games some justice.

First off was FTL, came out alright. Hope it's cool that I just took a few screenshots and threw some stuff together.

Not sure which to do next, but I plan on another if people like this one.

As an aside, that script is awesome.

It looks like you might have copied the wrong Dropbox link. Make sure you're copying the public link. Try viewing your post from a different browser or sign out of dropbox and you'll probably see what I mean.

Hmmm... I'm getting ideas...

Think we could do this for the other FF games on PS3?

Do you mean make PS4 versions, or to make PS3 boxes in that particular style?

Miles X

If any covers aren't available in a format you're looking for, you can always just ask for a version made for your system. Best case scenario is that the original creator is still around and can just do a quick swap, or someone else could make a similar cover for your console.

Otherwise you can always just request a cover. I'd be happy to help, or someone else could if they'd be willing.

Awesome, thanks, wasn't sure we could request. I would love a Viva Pinata and Bioshock Infinite Xbox 360 cover :)

RedSwirl

It looks like you might have copied the wrong Dropbox link. Make sure you're copying the public link. Try viewing your post from a different browser or sign out of dropbox and you'll probably see what I mean.

Do you mean make PS4 versions, or to make PS3 boxes in that particular style?

PS3 boxes in that style.

I think that worked, thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it.

Zajora

Awesome, thanks, wasn't sure we could request. I would love a Viva Pinata and Bioshock Infinite Xbox 360 cover :)

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't mind doing requests.

Someone else made a pretty awesome Bioshock 1 cover, so I probably don't need to make one of those:

I think that worked, thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it.

Yeah, I can see it now. It looks great!

PS3 boxes in that style.

Alright, I can give it a try.

Looking at Wikipedia, for FF games on PS3:

XIII, XIV, XIII-2, Lightning Returns XIII-2..

Should the XIII-2 and the Lightning Returns versions get their own covers? Final Fantasy naming schemes are so confusing.

Well, here's XIII at least:

Wow, I hadn't realized how many covers have been made for FF13. :eek:

Grief.exe

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't mind doing requests.

I was addicted to it for a while there.

The only thing that brought me out of it is this string of amazing games I have been playing Dishonored, Swapper, Papers Please, and Spelunky.

Too much indie goodness...and Dishonored.

Top Bottom