• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

DedValve

Banned
Are there any Splinter Cell HD boxarts in here? The current one is so ugly, was hoping for one that just had Sams Goggles or something cool. So far I only found Conviction boxarts.

Zajora

Are there any Splinter Cell HD boxarts in here? The current one is so ugly, was hoping for one that just had Sams Goggles or something cool. So far I only found Conviction boxarts.

I could give it a try, but first..

is this the game you're talking about?

tom-clancys-splinter-cell-trilogy-ps3.jpg

DedValve

Banned
I could give it a try, but first..

is this the game you're talking about?

Yeah thats the one. I really don't like the whole 3 pictures things most of these HD collections has like DMC and the Ico collection. The Sony collections was pretty nice with the titular character and the gold emblem but I loathe the random white backgrounds.

I think Hitman had the best HD boxart by far, I think it was fanart? Either way it looked incredible. More HD collections should strive for that (hell more boxarts in general).

Also this clean look is amazing, I never realized how much better the vomit green box on Xbox games look really good when it doesn't have white banners (same goes for all the other consoles). I wish it was official especially since minimalist is the current trend right now.

Zajora

Yeah thats the one. I really don't like the whole 3 pictures things most of these HD collections has like DMC and the Ico collection. The Sony collections was pretty nice with the titular character and the gold emblem but I loathe the random white backgrounds.

I think Hitman had the best HD boxart by far, I think it was fanart? Either way it looked incredible. More HD collections should strive for that (hell more boxarts in general).

Also this clean look is amazing, I never realized how much better the vomit green box on Xbox games look really good when it doesn't have white banners (same goes for all the other consoles). I wish it was official especially since minimalist is the current trend right now.

Okay, well here's my first attempt:

I tried to recreate just the goggles, but I couldn't get it to look authentic. :<

Edit:

I was bored, so I thought I'd mess around in photoshop for a bit. I've never really done any web design before, so I have to imagine this breaks every convention ever, but hey.

iJbrBWn7bI24b.png

This is kind of what I envisioned for a gallery to easily browse the covers, since there's no way we'd be able to have previews for them all on the forum itself.

Clicking the preview would link you to a page with a larger preview as well as a link to the downloadable version of the cover. Perhaps a link should be in the little summary box, too. Oh well.

I'm not even sure we'd be allowed to use the Neogaf logo/name, but meh. This is just to show what I think the ideal unattainable solution might look like. :)

(and yes, I know I made the boxes too small/the text too big, and that things aren't aligned, etc)

Edit:

I was bored, so I thought I'd mess around in photoshop for a bit. I've never really done any web design before, so I have to imagine this breaks every convention ever, but hey.

This is kind of what I envisioned for a gallery to easily browse the covers, since there's no way we'd be able to have previews for them all on the forum itself.

Clicking the preview would link you to a page with a larger preview as well as a link to the downloadable version of the cover. Perhaps a link should be in the little summary box, too. Oh well.

I'm not even sure we'd be allowed to use the Neogaf logo/name, but meh. This is just to show what I think the ideal unattainable solution might look like. :)

(and yes, I know I made the boxes too small/the text too big, and that things aren't aligned, etc)

Looks pretty good. I don't really think the boxes are too small/text is too big. The only thing for me is the text box size. The longer the title, the smaller the font. But other than that it looks pretty good.

Zajora

Looks pretty good. I don't really think the boxes are too small/text is too big. The only thing for me is the text box size. The longer the title, the smaller the font. But other than that it looks pretty good.

That was actually what I was trying to say by boxes (Though it does make more sense to interpret that as being the cover-boxes :p)

A different take on it:

iA8CeFP4hdpT1.png

Misc ideas:

• This grid-style of page would be used to display covers in most (all?) situations. Perhaps there could be some kind of text-only version like the existing OP.
  • The grid's size would be changed depending on screen size, so a 1920x1080 monitor would probably see a 5-wide grid.
  • "Cover" in the navigation bar would have a dropdown menu with links to each system's covers. The listings have the option to be sorted alphabetically or by some kind of popularity measure.
  • "Templates" links to a page with download links for both the printable-template and 3D-box files.
  • "Submit" would be for adding covers. Ideally they would be hosted on Dropbox and there would be some kind of program watching the folders (the local versions on my PC) that would run the Photoshop actions to create the 3D previews. I have no idea how realistic that is, though. The benefit would be that it probably wouldn't be too difficult to simply re-do all the previews if the template was changed. EDIT: Maybe this isn't such a good idea, since it would open it up to non-gaffers submitting covers, which would kind of defeat the purpose. It'd also mean that we'd have to take people on their own word about who they were, which could lead to people impersonating others. I'm thinking instead there could be some way of tagging links in the thread on GAF that would let a script download the files automatically.
  • Covers can be discovered by searches, the cover navigation, or by clicking the game/creator name of a viewed cover.
  • The 3D preview is always a link to the full size printable version of the cover.
  • Should there be separate pages or should it just load more covers as you scroll down? Perhaps a combination of both? I'm not sure how many images you'd have to load for there to be an issue (assuming you scroll down at a reasonable pace)
  • Section for pictures of printed covers (under "about" section?)

Zajora

The Okami cover is gorgeous. Then again, most things Okami are.

Thanks!

Changed a few things with the mockup. Not sure I'm loving the icons, but I made an "i" for info (a popup with maybe upload date, comments, etc) and a heart to favourite a cover, which will be the basis of sorting by popularity.

iFMfx7aMYGMVM.png

TheFalconPunch

Neo Member
Huge thanks for creating that archive! I may have to print some of these covers just to laminate or frame as posters :p Beautiful work everyone!

Thanks!

Changed a few things with the mockup. Not sure I'm loving the icons, but I made an "i" for info (a popup with maybe upload date, comments, etc) and a heart to favourite a cover, which will be the basis of sorting by popularity.

iFMfx7aMYGMVM.png

Zajora

I was trying to make a cover for the Club Nintendo 3DS Game Card Case. Turned out to be more difficult than I expected to get the little "window" guidelines aligned since there are apparently no other custom covers or even full size scans to base it off of. This was just what I was using to try and get the template working correctly:

3DS%20Card%20Case%20Template.jpgsmall.png

I don't want to do any real covers until I've got everything lined up properly. (Also, the dimensions are different from regular 3DS game covers, which means the 3D box template has to stretch the image a bit. It's pretty close though)

I've been thinking about buying another case on eBay, since it seems like NoA doesn't plan to do another run. They're going for about $30, which isn't that bad, I suppose.

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. 99% done with the pen tool (fonts were not custom).

nanq.png
That looks fantastic. Any chance we could get a download link to the printable size?

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Thank you. If anyone wants the printable: link I don't know if it's big enough... it should be though.

All I ask is for any of you not to steal it by passing it off as your own.

Zajora

Thank you. If anyone wants the printable: link I don't know if it's big enough... it should be though.

All I ask is for any of you not to steal it by passing it off as your own.

Well, it looks like that image is 940x631 pixels, while for a Gamecube game you'd want something like 3240x2175. (In other words, this is about 8cm by 5.5cm versus the cover size of about 27.5cm by 18.5cm)

If you did everything in a vector format you may be able to resize it without too much quality loss.

Of course, you're not obligated to provide a printable form. :)

vvise

I was unhappy with my LA Noire cover so here's an alternate. I hope you have plenty of black ink :)

Left this one console unbranded.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
Well, it looks like that image is 940x631 pixels, while for a Gamecube game you'd want something like 3240x2175. (In other words, this is about 8cm by 5.5cm versus the cover size of about 27.5cm by 18.5cm)

If you did everything in a vector format you may be able to resize it without too much quality loss.

Of course, you're not obligated to provide a printable form. :)

I'll see what I can do, I'll PM you.

vvise

Just made two Atelier Rorona covers, plain and with b/g. Not sure which one I will print. I don't like "busy" covers. At least the option is there, I'll probably go with the b/g one.

Zajora

Just to let everyone know, I've been adding all the newly posted covers to the Dropbox. I'm assuming nobody has an issue with that, but if you do I can remove your covers.

Anyway: Luigi's Mansion was actually one of the reasons I tried making covers to begin with, since I didn't have a cover for the game. About time I got around to making one!

The box converter isn't actually for GC which is why there is a bit of a strange line on the back, but it's close enough. :p

kuYuri

It's been about a year and a half, figured I'd make this request again.

Anyone got any high-res alternate covers for 360 Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey? Preferably the Japanese covers would be great, but anything other than the terrible NA covers would do.

Grief.exe

Thanks, I wanted one with the "PC DVD ROM" logo but I just ended up adding it in myself.

Heres the PC cover

DOWNLOAD

VdKNt.png

alright here's the PC version

u can download through my deviant-art page or
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=86f9mdg9cjz8mjf&thumb=4

I'm new to this thread, just discovered it today!

Where are people getting the PC template? The one in the OP is GFW, which I really don't want to use. I would rather use just the standard PC one like bathala has here.
I'm thinking about putting some custom covers together, printing them out, and putting them in DVD cases. All of my PC games are digital, but I would like to have represetations of my favorite ones next to my DS, GBA, SNES games.

Zajora, you should PM a mod and have them add in your Dropbox link to the OP. Amazing work.

EDIT: Actually found a template on Deviant Art http://aymankom.deviantart.com/art/Windows-Games-DVD-Cover-psd-Template-291861328
EDIT2: The template I found doesn't have transparency for the logos like some of the others do. Still looking for suggestions.

EDIT3: Still looking for some PC Templates. Here is my first couple tries, don't add these to the Dropbox yet because I need some suggestions and criticisms.

The Dark Souls one I actually found inside the dropbox, but only had PS3 and 360 versions.

EDIT4: Kind of like the Steam Logo

Zajora

IDK if these goggles would work, but its from Splinter Cell Blacklist promotional materials

EDIT: Quick and dirty. I wish I could find a higher resolution render of those googles

Funny that you chose that, since I was inspired by that as well. I wanted to remake it in a vector format so I could scale it at will, but the result was pretty terrible. I looked for a higher res equivalent but wasn't able to find one, so I gave up. :(

Anyone got any high-res alternate covers for 360 Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey? Preferably the Japanese covers would be great, but anything other than the terrible NA covers would do.

Well, I made two Lost Odyssey covers and posted them on the last page of this thread:

Furthermore, this cover was made awhile ago by someone else in this thread (not sure who, sorry):

I'm new to this thread, just discovered it today!

Where are people getting the PC template? The one in the OP is GFW, which I really don't want to use. I would rather use just the standard PC one like bathala has here.
I'm thinking about putting some custom covers together, printing them out, and putting them in DVD cases. All of my PC games are digital, but I would like to have represetations of my favorite ones next to my DS, GBA, SNES games.

Zajora, you should PM a mod and have them add in your Dropbox link to the OP. Amazing work.

I made a combo Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 and PC template. The dimensions are technically slightly different for each one, but the difference is so small as to be unnoticeable. Having them all the same size simplifies things a lot.

Here is a link to the Multi-Minimal Template. It's hosted on Mediafire instead of drop box because I want to emphasize that it's not what I'd call a finalized version - it's just what I made to make my own covers. Edit: Just realized the horizontal guides will probably be confusing. They're there to help centre the spine text, where each guide gives an equal space to the console logo it applies to. The order from top to bottom is the same as the order of the folders: PC, Wii, Wii U, X360.

Also, Demosthenes (the OP) and I have been talking about redoing the first post, but that might be a bit far off. It might be a good idea to add a link to the dropbox just temporarily though, since that way it can be used until a more elegant browsing solution is implemented.

Zajora

Decided to try making a Blue Dragon cover for you to go along with the Lost Odyssey ones:

I've never played Blue Dragon so I don't know if that croco-drago-dino thing on the back is important, but hey.

Edit: Slight variation:

I made a combo Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 and PC template. The dimensions are technically slightly different for each one, but the difference is so small as to be unnoticeable. Having them all the same size simplifies things a lot.

Would it be possible to expand this to include Playstation 2? I just bought a few games from Gamestop and they had no cases. Or is there a PS2 template somewhere?

Also, if it is not too much trouble, would it be possible to add a PS2 logo in the same style as the PS3/4 logo? Would like to see how it comes out.

Grief.exe

Here is a link to the Multi-Minimal Template. It's hosted on Mediafire instead of drop box because I want to emphasize that it's not what I'd call a finalized version - it's just what I made to make my own covers. Edit: Just realized the horizontal guides will probably be confusing. They're there to help centre the spine text, where each guide gives an equal space to the console logo it applies to. The order from top to bottom is the same as the order of the folders: PC, Wii, Wii U, X360.

Also, Demosthenes (the OP) and I have been talking about redoing the first post, but that might be a bit far off. It might be a good idea to add a link to the dropbox just temporarily though, since that way it can be used until a more elegant browsing solution is implemented.

Thanks for the information!

Your dropbox link is perfect for browsing. Click on the system, cntrl + f, and you type what you need.

damn love that deus ex one

Ya that one is gorgeous.

Zajora

Would it be possible to expand this to include Playstation 2? I just bought a few games from Gamestop and they had no cases. Or is there a PS2 template somewhere?

Also, if it is not too much trouble, would it be possible to add a PS2 logo in the same style as the PS3/4 logo? Would like to see how it comes out.

Sure. Here is the link to the Multi Template, now with PS2 alongside PC, Wii, Wii U and X360.

Thanks for the information!

Your dropbox link is perfect for browsing. Click on the system, cntrl + f, and you type what you need.

Yeah, it does work as a stopgap solution, but what I really want is something like this:

iFMfx7aMYGMVM.png

The only problem is that I don't know anything about web design, so that's probably far off into the future, if it ever does happen. :<

nonnocere

Just made two Atelier Rorona covers, plain and with b/g. Not sure which one I will print. I don't like "busy" covers. At least the option is there, I'll probably go with the b/g one

I like the second one best myself. Not busy, but the first one seems vacant.

Zajora

Zajora, how do I make the 3d boxes from your template?

Also, where are good places to get art assets from?

For now, I would recommend using the converters that other people made that are listed on the current first post. I believe they were all made by Rengoku, and have instructions included in the download. I'm not sure whether his converters require a precise size, but if they do any covers made using the multi-template I made may need to be scaled.

I do have my own versions of the box converters (based on Rengoku's) that I used to make the previews seen in the Dropbox, but they're not very user-friendly as of yet, and require two different scripts as well as the action and PSD template itself.

I find most of the art I use on Google images by using the advanced search settings to specify things like images over a certain size.

Zajora

Don't know if these are good enough for you but...

/URL]

And a dude version just to not be sexist. lol

[URL="https://www.dropbox.com/s/jij0lyibijoshwm/dragon%20crown%203b.jpg"]

Also a Klonoa 2 cover I quickly put together for a copy I just bought without a case

Hey, it looks like you might have copied the wrong links.

I did the same thing when I started using Dropbox, too. The link you need to get is the public one. Right click the name of the file, and click "copy public link". That's the one everyone will be able to see.

To see what I'm talking about, try signing out of dropbox (or just viewing your post in a different browser)

Hey, it looks like you might have copied the wrong links.

I did the same thing when I started using Dropbox, too. The link you need to get is the public one. Right click the name of the file, and click "copy public link". That's the one everyone will be able to see.

To see what I'm talking about, try signing out of dropbox (or just viewing your post in a different browser)

Everything should be good now. Took me a while to figure out I had to create a "public" folder.

Top Bottom