• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

YES !

Thank you !

Glad you like it. It was the first time I really put a good amount of effort into one.

So I modified the PS3 and the multi template to add a PS3 style logo for the PS2. Using my Klonoa 2 box as an example:

Normal Size:

PS3 Size:

Now, I've never really cared much about logos, except my somewhat dislike for the original PS3 logo, but i really dig the PS3 Slim style logo over the old Playstation logo.

Well, the font really.

kuYuri

Decided to try making a Blue Dragon cover for you to go along with the Lost Odyssey ones:

I've never played Blue Dragon so I don't know if that croco-drago-dino thing on the back is important, but hey.

Edit: Slight variation:

Funny that you chose that, since I was inspired by that as well. I wanted to remake it in a vector format so I could scale it at will, but the result was pretty terrible. I looked for a higher res equivalent but wasn't able to find one, so I gave up. :(

Well, I made two Lost Odyssey covers and posted them on the last page of this thread:

Furthermore, this cover was made awhile ago by someone else in this thread (not sure who, sorry):

Awesome stuff dude! Didn't notice the other one that was posted.

I dunno if that blue thing on the back is important either (I'm only like 5-6 hours in), but front cover is pretty much perfect.

And covers for the other two I recently bought.

Manhunt

PS3 Style

PS3 Size

Narc

This was really just an editing of the original box since there really wasn't crap for things I could use.

PS3 Style

PS3 Size

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just made two Atelier Rorona covers, plain and with b/g. Not sure which one I will print. I don't like "busy" covers. At least the option is there, I'll probably go with the b/g one.

http://i.imgur.com/fMbbEz5.png

http://i.imgur.com/jvkIQdg.png
Oh man these are really awesome! Could you please make similar covers for atelier totori + for vita?

Dragon' crown really needs a better cover the official one is plain bad, could you please make vita versions(at least the first one)?

Grief.exe

I don't have the standard Template Script working yet, but here are all of the covers I have made so far.

A couple of them I took from others and changed the logos for the Steam version. Like the Deus Ex: HR cover by DarkGiygas which also inspired my Original Deus Ex cover. The Mass Effect and Dark Souls covers were from this thread as well, looking for the owners.

Here is my minus account for the full size covers http://z46.minus.com/m82ebMgeogdpK

ib0GLhTz4ancdP.png

Oh man these are really awesome! Could you please make similar covers for atelier totori + for vita?

Dragon' crown really needs a better cover the official one is plain bad, could you please make vita versions(at least the first one)?
Is there a vita template? If there is I'll try later or tomorrow.

I didn't make it, but here is one I had saved in my template folder. :p

(It was probably made by someone else in this thread)

that template doesn't seem to work, say it isn't a valid photoshop document.

Got a vita template to work and added some guide lines to it but somehow screwed up my psd files for a couple of the Dragon's Crown ones, and the first one I'll have to remake. I'll try to get Vita versions done as soon as I can.

Zajora

Got a vita template to work and added some guide lines to it but somehow screwed up my psd files for a couple of the Dragon's Crown ones, and the first one I'll have to remake. I'll try to get Vita versions done as soon as I can.

Hmm. What version of Photoshop are you using? If you're using an older version, I assume whoever made it didn't save for compatibility.

Here, I re-saved it for compatibility. See if that works.

RedSwirl

Just did another check, yeah there is almost no suitably high res Dragon's Crown artwork out there, ironically. The backgrounds and character renders are it, and they aren't quite large enough for box arts in my opinion. I'm probably gonna have to wait until more art book scans show up, or I make my own if I get the art book.

Hmm. What version of Photoshop are you using? If you're using an older version, I assume whoever made it didn't save for compatibility.

Here, I re-saved it for compatibility. See if that works.

Yeah that works. I'll probably use this one since the template I found has the "Only on Playstation" banner.

I am using CS5, I believe

Edit: Zajora, while doing the Vita versions for the Dragon's Crown covers, I redid the first PS3 one. I noticed some of the characters had a jaggy white line around parts of them. The new one should be cleaner. Can you replace the one in the centralized dropbox with the new one?

kuYuri

Some minor imperfections aside, I managed to print out Lost Odyssey (and Blue Dragon) as a test at my local Staples. Came out decent.

xhX2VKf.jpg

Zajora

Some minor imperfections aside, I managed to print out Lost Odyssey (and Blue Dragon) as a test at my local Staples. Came out decent.

xhX2VKf.jpg

That's awesome! I think you're the first person who has printed a cover I made, or at least, the first who has posted a picture. :D

Does anyone have working links for these Xillia covers? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30477855&postcount=34

Unfortunately they went down before I started to do the backup, so I don't have them. However, Demosthenes and I (mostly him) went through the covers in the OP and sorted the broken links, and I believe he should have already PM'd everyone that wasn't banned that had posted covers that now have broken links. I haven't heard whether he has received the replies yet, but it's possible.

Kuro

Unfortunately they went down before I started to do the backup, so I don't have them. However, Demosthenes and I (mostly him) went through the covers in the OP and sorted the broken links, and I believe he should have already PM'd everyone that wasn't banned that had posted covers that now have broken links. I haven't heard whether he has received the replies yet, but it's possible.

okay, thanks anyway!

Zajora

okay, thanks anyway!

Hmm.. Well, I did some more searching, and I think I found those same covers hosted on another site (some kind of Spanish custom cover website?)

Anyway, I'm not sure if these are the originals - if they are, they're probably too low-res to print properly, which might be why the download links were removed. :(

Tales of Xilla: [1] [2] [3]

Kuro

Hmm.. Well, I did some more searching, and I think I found those same covers hosted on another site (some kind of Spanish custom cover website?)

Anyway, I'm not sure if these are the originals - if they are, they're probably too low-res to print properly, which might be why the download links were removed. :(

Tales of Xilla: [1] [2] [3]

Thanks again

Zajora

Thanks again

I'm quoting you again!

I was bored, so I started making a Tales of Xillia cover.

I've never played the game (or any Tales games, for that matter) but still had some fun:

I'm guessing the reason salromano used such low-res art (assuming the ones I found were his original resolution) is that there doesn't seem to be any good Xillia art at a high res. I couldn't find any, so I went a different route. I have a version with the original logo style, but the fuzzy-white-blue color scheme doesn't really fit well.

hurzelein

Nice to see the Thread got reactivated! Was busy in the last few months, hope to contribute some new things in the next weeks.

Bought some digital games in the PSN sales like Starhawk.. will see if I can find decent artworks for that.

Do you think you could make the covers in bitmap format ? It has better quality than jpgs.

Zajora

Do you think you could make the covers in bitmap format ? It has better quality than jpgs.

It's pretty unlikely you'll ever be able to notice the quality difference between jpeg and a lossless format when it's in print and at 300 dpi - maybe if you're dealing with only smooth gradients or sharp edges or something, but the covers you're talking about don't really fit that description. Even if you did want to go with a lossless format, I'd recommend png over bmp, since bmp is generally uncompressed.

Anyway, I decide to make a version of my Tales of Xillia cover with the regular logo:

RedSwirl

Once again I got nothin' on Tales of Xillia. My main gripe with Tales box arts is that the US used to always get the standard CG anime box arts while Japan got the something that looked more hand-drawn. For the last two games though we've been getting the same box art as Japan. Might do a quick clean version of that one day.

Once I get my laptop re-set up I'll upload bmp versions plus the vita versions.

Also is there a 3d template for vita boxes and non 360 colored cases?

Edit: Dragon's Crown (Vita)
#1 with banner
#1 without banner
#2 with banner
#2 without banner
#3 with banner
#3 without banner
#4 with banner
#4 without banner
#5 with banner
#5 without banner

Dragon's Crown (PS3 BMP)

Also, if I may make a request, could someone please make a Romancing SaGa for PS2 cover. I'm not too happy with how the one I made came out and maybe someone else could do better.

Dragon's Crown (PS3 BMP)

thanks a lot. I really like this one. :)

Alright, I have been scouring the Internet for the past hour in search of Red Alert 3 concept art. I've been having a real hard time. The most I've found are on CNCGames.com and I'm sure it's missing some stuff as there are wallpapers made with art that I've not found stand-alone on the net. I don't know where you guys find your shit, but I hope you can find more stuff than me.

I request a custom cover of Red Alert 3 for PS3 (and PC, if you will), as there isn't even one. I would like it to mainly display the Japanese Empire, since they are the new faction; I would also accept something portraying all three sides, but with the Japanese (or Yuriko) at the forefront. Here's the stuff I found.

The two images above have good indicatives of what I'm looking for. The first image shows one of the two ideas I want to see, that is, having the three factions being displayed, with the Japanese in the center. The rest of the image I don't like though; the colors are ugly and there's way too many things being displayed. I think we are all looking for something minimalistic or close here on Gaf.

The second image has a perfect style to it. Lots of red, Yuriko and it's minimalistic. It wouldn't make a great cover though, as the image is horizontal, the title displays "Uprising" (which I do not want, as it's the name of the expansion), and the elements are not optimally-placed. But it basically shows what I want, so you may take it as inspiration.

That's my request. I would be grateful if some of you artists would work your magic on a beautiful Red Alert 3 custom cover. Thanks.

edit: when printing these things, do I have to specify the dimensions ? Last year I went to a store to have about twenty or so printed; most of them printed just fine but some had the image zoomed in and with not the right dimensions. Properpropaganda's cover for Dragon Crown is in 3225x1752; will it print fine or do I have to do something beforehand ?

edit: when printing these things, do I have to specify the dimensions ? Last year I went to a store to have about twenty or so printed; most of them printed just fine but some had the image zoomed in and with not the right dimensions. Properpropaganda's cover for Dragon Crown is in 3225x1752; will it print fine or do I have to do something beforehand ?

When I want to Office Depot since they couldn't do borderless printing and the image printed normally was slightly cropped, They did a fit to paper and it made the print size slightly smaller but hardly noticeable. Granted these were on 360/Wii covers, but they might be able to print a few to show how they come out.

I would bring in a PS3 insert and tell them you need it as close to the same size as possible. The image itself should be the same dimensions as a normal insert.

Also, does anyone every try to do inside art for their inserts?

These are really good. I have a request, I think and I and many others are displeased that Ace Attorney 5 is digital only. Is there anyone out there who can redo the Japanese box art in english?

Zajora

Alright, I have been scouring the Internet for the past hour in search of Red Alert 3 concept art. I've been having a real hard time. The most I've found are on CNCGames.com and I'm sure it's missing some stuff as there are wallpapers made with art that I've not found stand-alone on the net. I don't know where you guys find your shit, but I hope you can find more stuff than me.

I request a custom cover of Red Alert 3 for PS3 (and PC, if you will), as there isn't even one. I would like it to mainly display the Japanese Empire, since they are the new faction; I would also accept something portraying all three sides, but with the Japanese (or Yuriko) at the forefront. Here's the stuff I found.

The two images above have good indicatives of what I'm looking for. The first image shows one of the two ideas I want to see, that is, having the three factions being displayed, with the Japanese in the center. The rest of the image I don't like though; the colors are ugly and there's way too many things being displayed. I think we are all looking for something minimalistic or close here on Gaf.

The second image has a perfect style to it. Lots of red, Yuriko and it's minimalistic. It wouldn't make a great cover though, as the image is horizontal, the title displays "Uprising" (which I do not want, as it's the name of the expansion), and the elements are not optimally-placed. But it basically shows what I want, so you may take it as inspiration.

That's my request. I would be grateful if some of you artists would work your magic on a beautiful Red Alert 3 custom cover. Thanks.

I was bored tonight, so I gave it a shot...

If you like it, I can make a PS3 version.

You shouldn't have to specify dimensions, assuming it's not being scaled at all. If some of them printed incorrectly I'd guess that they were made with the wrong resolution - some people make covers that aren't printable.

These are really good. I have a request, I think and I and many others are displeased that Ace Attorney 5 is digital only. Is there anyone out there who can redo the Japanese box art in english?

Well.. I didn't redo it, per se, but..

If you're set on the Japanese boxart I could try remaking it if you want.

I was bored tonight, so I gave it a shot...

If you like it, I can make a PS3 version.

You shouldn't have to specify dimensions, assuming it's not being scaled at all. If some of them printed incorrectly I'd guess that they were made with the wrong resolution - some people make covers that aren't printable.

THANK YOU IT'S GORGEOUS ! And yes, please do a PS3 version !!

Thanks again !!!

Would you mind telling me where you got your assets ? And if you used the ones I provided, how did you modify them ? What you've come up with is very professional. It would pass for an official box art.

Zajora

THANK YOU IT'S GORGEOUS ! And yes, please do a PS3 version !!

Thanks again !!!

Would you mind telling me where you got your assets ? And if you used the ones I provided, how did you modify them ? What you've come up with is very professional. It would pass for an official box art.

I'm glad you like it. :)

Here are both versions (with correct links):

..and because I accidentally put the PC version in the PS3 Dropbox folder, fixing it made it look like you already quoted the PS3 Version! :p

The only assets I used were two of the pictures you posted - the logo and the girl with pigtails. I made a custom shape for the Japanese symbol, and the rest of it is just gradients, layer styles, etc.

I'm glad you like it. :)

Here are both versions (with correct links):

..and because I accidentally put the PC version in the PS3 Dropbox folder, fixing it made it look like you already quoted the PS3 Version! :p

The only assets I used were two of the pictures you posted - the logo and the girl with pigtails. I made a custom shape for the Japanese symbol, and the rest of it is just gradients, layer styles, etc.

Thanks again. Could I ask for a little modification ? If it's too much work then don't bother, but I'd like to see something. Could you take out the white symbol on the front cover and replace it with the "C&C Red Alert 3" title that is currently at the bottom, and make Yukiko a tad bigger with her skirt and thighs entirely visible ? (yeah, yeah; I know).

Again, thanks. What you've done is already great.

Zajora

Thanks again. Could I ask for a little modification ? If it's too much work then don't bother, but I'd like to see something. Could you take out the white symbol on the front cover and replace it with the "C&C Red Alert 3" title that is currently at the bottom, and make Yukiko a tad bigger with her skirt and thighs entirely visible ? (yeah, yeah; I know).

Again, thanks. What you've done is already great.

She was already at the largest size I could find without losing quality by scaling, but here you go:

hurzelein

I once knew a site where one guy presented his collection of old Videogames with custom made covers for Gameboy, Nes, N64 etc.

He had links to a site where they sold plastic-boxes that were specifically designed fo this purpose. Lost the link.

Want to make some boxes/covers for my original gameboy games. They should be maybe half the size of todays Ps3-boxes, near the size of the original Gameboy-Artworks, like this:

Verpackung_SML.jpg

Can anybody help? Or do you know boxes that would fit for this purpose?

Well.. I didn't redo it, per se, but..

If you're set on the Japanese boxart I could try remaking it if you want.

Damn that is pretty nice. I would be torn to using this or the original JPN one. This one reminds me of US Ace Attorney 1 box art but having a translated AA5 boxart would like nice with the other releases. I and I know other Ace Attorney fans would greatly appreciate it.

Top Bottom