• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Renpatsu

First impression is that you aren't leaving enough space between the edges of the spine where you will surely lose the detail on the left and right hand sides due to the slight curve in the fold. Unless you're specifically going for that look I'd suggest leaving a space of approximately 2mm on either side (or 1mm if you're feeling the tight positioning).

Other than that looking good. Obviously the header depends on what you add to it, but if it's just the Steam logo and logotype it should be solid.

What do you guys think of this spine for my physical boxes? Totally preliminary here, including a lower resolution Steam logo. Completely open to suggestions here.

Original design here for comparison http://z46.minus.com/mTlsRB5rUUcMG
What kind of box is it going on? it looks like the spine may be too thick to fit on a DVD case

It seems a little cramped, I think it may be a good idea to use the new Steam universe symbol (as it takes up less space), kind of like I did for one of my Steam template variations. Not bad though.

That looks rather neato! Any chance you could link a template to it? I'd love to use it.

Muzy72

Banned
Could someone please make a box art for the first Bayonetta on Wii U that looks like an official box art (meaning ESRB logo and all that stuff). NOA is putting both discs in one case so it'd be nice to have a case for the first Bayo!

If anyone wants to take the offer, I'll compensate you with a $5 Steam game! (Nlot much, I know, but better than nothing :B).

V23mWNV.jpg

Grief.exe

It seems a little cramped, I think it may be a good idea to use the new Steam universe symbol (as it takes up less space), kind of like I did for one of my Steam template variations. Not bad though.

That looks really good actually, can you send me the high resolution asset for that logo?

We should come up with more possibilities.

First impression is that you aren't leaving enough space between the edges of the spine where you will surely lose the detail on the left and right hand sides due to the slight curve in the fold. Unless you're specifically going for that look I'd suggest leaving a space of approximately 2mm on either side (or 1mm if you're feeling the tight positioning).

Other than that looking good. Obviously the header depends on what you add to it, but if it's just the Steam logo and logotype it should be solid.

I'll keep the advice in mind, thanks.

Low resolution and imgur compression renders means it won't be viable for printing.

Koppai

Is it possible for someone to just take the European cover art for Bayonetta since they get separate cases for Bayonetta 2 and the first game? I really want the official art as a case.

Grief.exe

I'm liking VisceralBowl's logo so much, I think I am just going to run with that one. The problem with the original Steam logo was so horizontal that the logo really doesn't have much of a presence on the shelf.
This new logo increases the size, but still keeps the minimal aspect that I was originally going for with these covers.

Only problem is, how can I use it with that phenomenal FFXIII cover above?

Better host to use? Please and thanks

Minus or abload.

hurzelein

Hi folks, created a perfectly sized, clean Vita & PSP template in the size of the original Vita boxes. It's perfectly sized (several testprints). To keep it that way print it directly from photoshop or go the detour through a pdf (that's btw also a general tip).

Logo, spinebrand, frontbrand and border can be combined black and/or white. You can see the 4 main combinations on the image. You can also just use the logo and brands without the blue banner and borders (that way it looks like the "Ultra clean style" that started this thread.

It has no other elements than the front and spine banner, I like it clean.
Used Photoshop CS6, should work with other versions too.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/prbfbk39w3r38uz/Vita_PSP_Template.psd

69sgltpd2t9zjvh6g.jpg

Don't worry the weird looking "V" in Vita, it's just a weird bug in the preview image and not in the template itself.

I finally got a hold of some original Vita boxes and have some images of printed covers coming in the next weeks.

hurzelein

Low resolution and imgur compression renders means it won't be viable for printing.

I second that, please focus on printable versions. Mockups are also cool, but the focus should stay on a printable size.

I'm liking VisceralBowl's logo so much, I think I am just going to run with that one.

It really is great!

Not enough XBox One love here. I could use a little help with the spine on this one. Made it too big to post a preview on the forum.

Don't know what you need help with exactly. If you are not sure about the grey color of the spine etc., here is a pretty good looking template. Haven't checked it for size etc. though, I don't own a Xbox case.

http://vgboxart.com/resource/8558/xbox-one-template/

If your iploaded image is too big you can put it in quote tags. You can also just use Mediafire. Under the sharing options you can set the size of the preview image and just copy it in here. I normally use 800x600 or smaller.

Grief.exe

Not enough XBox One love here. I could use a little help with the spine on this one.
Made it too big to post a preview on the forum.

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Looks good, I did a similar style for the cover on the Witcher trilogy

Don't use imgur, it will compress the large image and make it effectively useless.

I really want to find this Game informer cover in high-resolution and use that one for the back, but I do really like yours.

Grief.exe

Did we ever get a high-resolution version of the Ground Zeroes game informer cover?

I would like to do something like to do a PC case.

Grief.exe

This is the reversible art for Ground Zeroes that was only released in Japan.

I might use this for the Phantom Pain and the Game Informer art for Ground Zeroes.

That is really good. Looks like an upscale though, here is the highest resolution one I could find from Tora the Konami rep on GAF http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=104403690&postcount=828

For anyone who asked for the printable version of the Final Fantasy cover earlier in this thread, sorry for taking so long. Here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ki5xh5xor9a5xcp/printable.png

You already sent one to me, but thanks again!

JDHarbs

Sports games don't get as much love here as the rest and I never want to forget this season so I started Royals cover variant for MLB 14: The Show. Lots of problems left to fix and I'm still fiddling with the concept, but this is what I've got so far. Just PS3 for now, but once I've got something finalized I'll be making a PS4 version as well.

hurzelein

Sports games don't get as much love here as the rest and I never want to forget this season so I started Royals cover variant for MLB 14: The Show. Lots of problems left to fix and I'm still fiddling with the concept, but this is what I've got so far. Just PS3 for now, but once I've got something finalized I'll be making a PS4 version as well.

15589804792_d1521788cb_o.png

Overall combination looks good. Spine font looks a little big to me, don't know how it looks in 2D view. The crop on the front-player obviously need work. What tools did you use up to now, magic wand I guess? When I get home I'll search for a video that helped me a lot with making the edges look smoother and an overall better result of blending it in the background. Shouldn't be too hard with a little practice!

Edit: Sorry I'm not able to find the video I meant. Shouldn't be too hard to find a similiar one on youtube

patcrazystar64

Neo Member
I can personally verify that it was in the US as well. I'm pretty sure it was on European copies as well. Every copy of the game has a reversible cover I think.

Good to know, I've waiting for a price drop to pick it up. I completed it with Redbox rentals. I figured the price might drop even more when Phantom Pain comes out.

Hikami

Thanks for the Vita .psd template, hurzelein.
Tried to make a cover for Freedom Wars since the default cover is just an in-game screenshot basically..
There isn't much quality art to work with either though.
Compressed previews, Download links are below.
6yr4dtvnwycsgcefg.jpg
GCHJCJB.jpg

Download Links
Male
Female
PSD if anyone wants to mess around with it.

Arc07

I hate to request something on here but can someone do a Wii U version of Bayonetta with the original cover art? I have an extra Wii U case and was gonna seperate the games.

hurzelein

There isn't much quality art to work with either though.

Yeah it's a shame. Looked into it a few days ago myself, but lost interest after I didn't find anything that really popped with me. Saw your effort in the psd file trying different things. I hope there will be another batch of artwork when it releases in the west. Will probably use your protagonist-crop if that's okay, it's pretty good!

Koppai

I hate to request something on here but can someone do a Wii U version of Bayonetta with the original cover art? I have an extra Wii U case and was gonna seperate the games.
Yes this please. Something in high quality so I could take it to Fedex and print high quality lol. What paper do y'all recommend?

patcrazystar64

Neo Member
The UK First Print Edition for Bayonetta 2 came with two cases with coverart for each game. Hopefully a scan comes out soon for the Bayonetta 1 art.

Son Of D

Okay, I'm a few months late on this after I promised that I'd make this cover, so here is Bayonetta 1+2 double pack:

Was unsure what to do for the back cover so I just did the same as the front but with the "rival" character.

Seik

Banned
A dual cover for us poor North Americans who couldn't get one of those two case packs.

Bayonetta & Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
trlr2rvn3d331zw6g.jpg

As Rodin would say: Beautiful! :D

Anyone made a case for Bayo 1 alone? I'd like to give the game its own case.

I asked a friend to make one but I never managed to get someone to scan the back of their First Print Edition version of Bayo 1, so we're stuck there. I wanted to have something that gives a really OG, official/retail feeling.

Something exactly like this, but at a better resolution so I wouldn't see any kind of compression on the final product.

bayonetta_custom_wii_u_box_art_by_banjorulez22-d82vpbx.png

hurzelein

I asked a friend to make one but I never managed to get someone to scan the back of their First Print Edition version of Bayo 1, so we're stuck there. I wanted to have something that gives a really OG, official/retail feeling.

One of the thousands Cover rip sites out there?

Top Bottom