• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Next Xbox Event scheduled for April 26th

JNappula

Neo Member
I'm guessing you mean Ballmer because the person you're describing certainly isn't the J Allard I know. Either way, Ballmer gets way too much hate on GAF and the internet in general. He may not be Bill Gates, but he's certainly not the buffoon people think he is.

If he actually was a buffoon, he would not be running one of the biggest corporations on earth. He is also probably worth more (in investments) himself than what's the market value of Sony, or it's cash reserves.

Buffoons don't become multi billionaires...

Karak

jyUIipAMrDcW3.png

VG247 and The Verge have also had sources confirm to them an April unveil:

Interesting :)

Nice, looking forward to some more next-gen game reveals.

Interest for Microsoft is pretty low though, apart from Halo (specifically 3) and PGR I barely played my xbox, there isn't much else that interested me from them this gen.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Why is the majority saying that they need to announce sooner rather than later? E3 is the biggest stage for this information. They announce prior to E3 so I don't really understand all the concern.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Seems too close to E3 for me but whatever...

That is how it should of been done by Sony. It is much easier to keep up the hype for 5 weeks before E3 than it is for 3 months. That and late april makes sure it is clear of the samsung SG4 presser and the anual apple presser.

Hindle

Banned
I think they'll have a GI cover for one of thier exclusives not long after this conference. It would generate more hype.

Lol. You probably have more insider information than I do. I am just making an educated guess.

It's a good guess. Kinect was a huge success for Microsoft and it's a good impetus to keep consoles in the living room (rather than everything becoming cloud).

Late April is a reasonably good time to unveil a new console. You generate hype that continues into E3. The possibility of having a magazine cover of two is also a good way to continue that hype.

I applaud Sony for unveiling so soon, but the risk there is that mind-share is lost as months of little to no information pass by.

Biggzy

It's a good guess. Kinect was a huge success for Microsoft and it's a good impetus to keep consoles in the living room (rather than everything becoming cloud).

The funny thing with Kinect is that Microsoft are just as interested in its NUI application than its gaming application. Which is why I think the UI and the OS will be built around Kinect.

Just give me Shadow Complex 2 and Geometry Wars 3 and I'll be happy.

That'd be great. I absolutely loved Geo Wars 2. <3 Pacifism.

Actually, speaking on that topic, I really hope they put an increased emphasis on creating content for XBLA.

I really haven't been buying any games off of there in the past couple years. It feels like they have just been ignoring it.

I really haven't been buying any games off of there in the past couple years. It feels like they have just been ignoring it.

The reality is anything but. Some of the best games released on the 360 in the past two years have come from Live Arcade.

I'd seriously advise going through the releases.

That'd be great. I absolutely loved Geo Wars 2. <3 Pacifism.

Actually, speaking on that topic, I really hope they put an increased emphasis on creating content for XBLA.

Fez
Mark of the Ninja
Trials Evolution
Dust
Spelunky
Minecraft
Joe Danger 2
Alan Wake American Nightmare
Deadlight
Tony Hawk HD
Sine Mora

I mean sure you can go through the list and say you arent interested in those games but you not being interested is far different from saying they have been ignoring the platform. Those games are just from this past year, the list would be even larger if i went back for the past couple years as you say. And those are just games that were 360 console exclusives or released first on 360. There is a lot more good stuff from 3rd parties as well.

for better or worse im gonna get the new xbox.
nothing against the ps4, but xbox games appeal to me more (namely halo)
this is where I am too. basically have too much invested in the xbox licenses. while I have a PS3 I just haven't played it very much.

now I do think the next xbox needs a blu-ray player.

Biggzy

Fez
Mark of the Ninja
Trials Evolution
Dust
Spelunky
Minecraft
Joe Danger 2
Alan Wake American Nightmare
Deadlight
Tony Hawk HD
Sine Mora

I mean sure you can go through the list and say you arent interested in those games but you not being interested is far different from saying they have been ignoring the platform. Those games are just from this past year, the list would be even larger if i went back for the past couple years as you say. And those are just games that were 360 console exclusives or released first on 360. There is a lot more good stuff from 3rd parties as well.

You just needed to list that game, as it has been a huge coup for Microsoft.

Gorillaz

That is how it should of been done by Sony. It is much easier to keep up the hype for 5 weeks before E3 than it is for 3 months. That and late april makes sure it is clear of the samsung SG4 presser and the anual apple presser.

Depends Sony could be going for a slow burn using events like GDC leading up to a blow out at e3, while MS is looking to maintain the hype all the way up to E3.

They are both getting to the same place but taking 2 different paths

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what does this mean for GDC? I guess that means no MS tech discussions, no developers talking about it - any next gen developer discussions will be giving Sony free mentions all through GDC simply because its the only platform they can talk about

Karak

THIS is what I expect at the conference :)
Safe for Work New Xbox Intero :)

It's Time to Play the Game

Link

Followed by Mattrick coming out and throwing the X-pac's sign. In fact we need a gif of Mattrick on X-pac's body.
Or something like this would be nice for their new logo and boot sound.
link

deadlast

I really don't understand the 26th of April Date, post Sony announcement that is. I can see if MS was planning that time schedule, if they were expecting Sony to do an event in May.

If I was MS I would capitalize on the 2 events that are occurring at the end of March, PAX East & GDC (both event occur between March 22 - 29). If you do a coming out party between the 19th - 21st, you will have buzz at both events.

RoKKeR

That would be so huge.

Completely different games but Burnout Revenge came out on the PS2/Xbox in September 2005. It then came out on the Xbox 360 in March 2006. That's 6 months.

GTA V was originally set for March but it has been bumped to September. That's 6 months also.

Coincidence? More than likely. Wouldn't be surprised though if 6 months is all that's needed to give the game a bit more polish for a new console.

Some have said that MS is planning a September launch too. Very interesting either way.

Sorry to come back to an old post, but I was sleeping. Yes, I find the delay to be very interesting. Rockstar is known for delaying games, but it was a fairly significant one and puts the game in a time slot where a lot of interesting things are going to be happening with next gen.

New consoles will be launching within weeks of GTA's release, and it will undoubtedly have a large presence on them. Whether or not it is tied to one platform for a bit of exclusivity, I don't know, but it will certainly be a big game on both generations of consoles.

It's going to be an exciting year.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I might as well post it here also:

Rösti;48255452 said:
I just noticed that all event details (travel information is still there though) has been removed from https://www.startfy14.com. And the PDF file ekim linked (https://ustproduction.blob.core.win...5/START_FY14_Event_Agenda_and_Information.pdf) seems to have been taken down. Luckily I saved the file.

From the other thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515017&page=11

With Microsoft seemingly want to keep a tighter shift than Groom Lake Research Facility when it comes to Durango, the April 26 date for this Xbox Event seems more likely (especially after the change mentioned above). But though, skipping GDC makes very little sense. I suppose though if they have managed to keep it under wraps for this long, what difference does a period of about four weeks make?

Rösti;48259146 said:
I might as well post it here also:

From the other thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515017&page=11

With Microsoft seemingly want to keep a tighter shift than Groom Lake Research Facility when it comes to Durango, the April 26 date for this Xbox Event seems more likely (especially after the change mentioned above). But though, skipping GDC makes very little sense. I suppose though if they have managed to keep it under wraps for this long, what difference does a period of about four weeks make?

For anyone who's interested, here's a permanent copy of the .PDF files that were on MS's website:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/127281251/START-FY14-AttendeeChecklist

http://www.scribd.com/doc/127281260/START-FY14-Event-Agenda-and-Information

Interesting. MS ninjas are on the ball.

Well it did essentially confirm that MS is having an internal meeting about Durango...and I assume MS doesn't want to have public information about Durango up, so they reformatted the site.

Hope no one got fired over that.

Top Bottom