• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 HDR is Broken on PS5 & Xbox Series X Regardless of HDR Settings

Which one is more useless, hdr or ray tracing? Cause if you need to calibrate these settings every single time you play a different game it's more annoying and irritating than exciting.

Burger

Because it was obvious that it was not CDPRs intention to make this game look washed out in HDR

Show me the receipts. Prove it.

Otherwise the image wouldnt look so different in SDR, or they wouldnt outright try to fix HDR with a patch

HDR * LOOKS * DIFFERENT * TO * SDR * BY * ITS * VERY * NATURE
But you can keep up wth the mental gimnastics if you want tp justify a problem that the developer has already tried to fix

It's Gymnastics.

And there is 1 note so far in terms of fixes, which is they have added some 'warmth' - their words not mine. If you think CDPR are running around trying to figure out how they could have messed up HDR so badly - in a game that runs on a custom engine that supports ray traced graphics - and they don't have anyone in the building that understands HDR. Christ.

Last edited:

Hugare

Show me the receipts. Prove it.

It's Gymnastics.

And there is 1 note so far in terms of fixes, which is they have added some 'warmth' - their words not mine. If you think CDPR are running around trying to figure out how they could have messed up HDR so badly - in a game that runs on a custom engine that supports ray traced graphics - and they don't have anyone in the building that understands HDR. Christ.
I'm not a native English speaker. Dont know why that is relevant to the discussion, since I misspelled one letter only, but thanks for correcting me.

Since you're so intelligent, wanna discuss in Portuguese, my native language? To see if you can keep up? Would be interesting

"If you think CDPR are running around trying to figure out how they could have messed up HDR so badly - in a game that runs on a custom engine that supports ray traced graphics - and they don't have anyone in the building that understands HDR. Christ."

They are running around right now trying to make the game WORK. But yeah, they couldnt have messed up with HDR.

There's no point in discussing if we dont get proof that it was their intention or not, so

If you enjoy playing it in HDR while looking like shit, go ahead.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

One would expect that HDR simply extends the PQ curve from the tonemapped SDR one. The HDR version should ideally look very similar to the SDR version in the darker parts of the image as tonemapping often don't affect shadow tones.

The HDR isn't that badly messed up, it's only the darker parts of the image that lacks contrast and makes it an eye strain in dark scene compared to SDR. Despite having great programmers and artists, it's not uncommon for people to still mess things up.

YCoCg

Which one is more useless, hdr or ray tracing? Cause if you need to calibrate these settings every single time you play a different game it's more annoying and irritating than exciting.
That's what HGIG is meant to solve! Calibrate the console once and then the games use those settings read from the console, but only a handful of games use it, which is hilarious really.

vpance

One would expect that HDR simply extends the PQ curve from the tonemapped SDR one. The HDR version should ideally look very similar to the SDR version in the darker parts of the image as tonemapping often don't affect shadow tones.

The HDR isn't that badly messed up, it's only the darker parts of the image that lacks contrast and makes it an eye strain in dark scene compared to SDR. Despite having great programmers and artists, it's not uncommon for people to still mess things up.

Eh, I think it's badly messed it up. Either by mistake or misguided understanding of how to implement it.

Once the black level is raised, midtones get compressed too and a large amount of contrast is lost.

They linked black level and highlight level to the same slider. Everyone is likely to see something different on their own panel. There's no consistent artist intent going on there.

On series X I turned my brightness way up in game cause stuff was lost in seas of black. But even cranked up, theres so many areas in the game where an NPC is standing 3 feet in front of me and I see nothing but blackness,. So many areas of the game feel like I can't see shit.

Burger

That is how HLG works essentially, not HDR10. HDR10 and Dolby Vision have a metadata component.

People need to understand that HDR was not developed for videogames, which is why you are presented with 2 sets of calibration controls (game and TV).

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

What I don't get is why anyone needs to calibrate. The best looking games with HDR I have never needed to calibrate anything other than maybe an initial brightness set-up page.

Almost all Sony games have great HDR. I don't know why third parties struggle with this.

What I don't get is why anyone needs to calibrate. The best looking games with HDR I have never needed to calibrate anything other than maybe an initial brightness set-up page.

Almost all Sony games have great HDR. I don't know why third parties struggle with this.

I've wondered the same thing. I feel like I am always fiddling with settings with 3rd party titles but Last of Us 2 looked absolutely amazing right out of the box with no fiddling around.

That's why this whole hdr /ray tracing experience has been so frustrating. It also depends on the TV panel. Some TVs, like the oleds aren't as bright as leds and you always need to calibrate. What a pain in the arse.

Top Bottom