• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 on PC. Safe to get now?

IanH

Neo Member
Hi. Running it on my O/C i5 8600k @ 4.8 ghz + GTX 1070 ti and based on digital foundry settings @ 1080p is running pretty good. Admit only played first 10 hrs and delighted also influencing me to rewatch original classic Blade Runner x 3 times!! What a movie all versions including spine tingling Soundtrack. Now searching for 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep’ book too...So far ahead of its time. Incredible.

Komatsu

Now searching for 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep’ book too...So far ahead of its time. Incredible.

It's a great book but if you're looking for a cyberpunk fix, I'd go with Neuromancer

Last edited:

IanH

Neo Member
It's a great book if you're looking for a cyberpunk fix, I'd go with Neuromancer
Cheers for that info. Just googled it and see why you recommend. I've only just bought blu-ray Blade Runner 2049, would you recommend I view the movie or read Necromancer first ?
Bearing in mind am aware that the novels are always superior...

Komatsu

Cheers for that info. Just googled it and see why you recommend. I've only just bought blu-ray Blade Runner 2049, would you recommend I view the movie or read Necromancer first ?
Bearing in mind am aware that the novels are always superior...

Watch 2049 then go with Gibson - he and Mike Pondsmith are the granddaddies of the genre so it'll be interesting to see where Villeneuve and the 2049 writers got a lot of their concepts.

b0uncyfr0

the ai is as brain dead as the ai in the witcher 3.

Here's a crazy idea that some people just dont grasp ; most people don't care about random npcs on the street in narrative driven games
Braindead AI, 5 years after their last game with no improvement, seem's pretty bad no? But you are 100% right ; it may not matter as much with a story driven RPG.

Ill spare the thread, i dont want to link the 5+ articles i found 30 seconds after googling about CDPR running their mouth's; talking complete BS. This game was not marketed as a story driven RPG only - it was meant to be a living breathing open world. That's why i will say it is a shit tier open world-game (in its current state), and not worth the price until its completely patched up(if that's even possible)

Last edited:

EDMIX

Oh, you seem touchy....is that...is that your review? I''ve seen the "average combat, meh story and boring characters" bit tossed around by the cretins of Reddit (who don't respond) and I'll ask you the same question. What are these mythical perfect open world games? I'd actually like to play them.

Why don't you and the other complainers just....move on from the game? Why do you keep paying attention to something you say is "average" at best? We know why "thousands" of videos have been made and it's all been for $$$. Hell, many of these videos just straight up steal clips from Reddit and monetize them.

Watch Dogs Legion...lol. Remember Watchdog 1 and the downgrade meltdowns? Same old shit. People expected Cyberpunk Simulator: San Andreas for some weird reason. Check yourself and do your homework next time before you pre-order a game and spare us all these tears. Cyberpunk and CDPR will be fine.

These arguments just go in circles and I don't have time for this shit. Fingers crossed to hear about all these better open world games with everything polished to perfection. Truly.

Yet Legions is playable and has car chases and smarter NPC. So shit I agree that game is average as fuck, but what the fuck does that make CP2077 that lacks those features?

Watchdogs 1 downgrade was bad, but the team let people have a demo of the game before release, they didn't just hid reviews, lie to consumers etc.

This shit is beyond Watchdogs 1 downgrade bud lol I'd be happy if it was JUST that in fact. Simply a downgrade, not a fucking out right lie about a laundry list of features.

People expected Cyberpunk Simulator: San Andreas for some weird reason
I know right, where would they get that idea.

Check yourself and do your homework next time before you pre-order a game

I know right, let me check with the developer to see if the game would run fine.

These arguments just go in circles and I don't have time for this shit.

Its hard to defend this stuff bud. Its really, really hard when you have the developer basically saying the opposite of what you are saying... we didn't just fucking make up what this game was going to be. They made those statements, lied, walked it back, got sued.

Soooo I own the game day 1, that doesn't mean I'm going to fucking shill for the company and ignore just a long list of lies and then blame gamers for their actions or something. I don't know how anyone would know this shit before release when the developer themselves literally hid reviews, stopped people from showing their own footage and then lied about removed features and the condition of the game to the point of being sued.

Who the fuck is going to know that before release other them CDPR themselves?

So nothing wrong if you like the game man, but the community needs to be honest about what happened here instead of finding hundreds of excuses for cut content, hiding reviews and lying about the condition of a game.

I enjoyed many aspects of the game, as I do many games, but I don't lie for fucking games bud. If something is wrong, even if I fucking like many things about a game, I must voice that instead of shilling man. I did the same thing for Red Dead 2 and in hindsight those issues are fucking minor compared to this. Its basically a different game.

Closer to Borderlands then anything tbh.

Last edited:

EDMIX

There are so many better designed open world games that Cyberpunk 2077. But none of them made be as attached to the world and it's characters as Cyberpunk has.

I've aired my complaints about the game before in the past but truth be told, getting real fucking tired of seeinflg this game get trashed all the time. Yeah it deserves to get trashed for the state it was in at launch, and their management team deserves to be thrown in the dumpster in the back of the studio. There are problems, but there's too much beauty and brilliant moments in the game, that are being overlooked and drowned out by the anger and bug memeing.

I just really hope CDPR can turn this game around and improve it over the next couple of years, along with the modding community doing some amazing things.

Agreed. I love the design of the world and the characters. Its what makes this flop so hard. If this game just even met Watchdogs 1 AI and design it would be a home run. Riding trains, cop chases etc all would really make that world feel alive.

Even with the gangs. You do something wrong, gangs should hunt you down, shoot up your apartment. None of this is some new idea either, all of this is from shit from like 20 years ago.

I just feel like I'd rather have this done by another team. Keep the artist and writers, get rid of everyone else, outsource it to a different team, sell the IP, something...

Agreed. I love the design of the world and the characters. Its what makes this flop so hard. If this game just even met Watchdogs 1 AI and design it would be a home run. Riding trains, cop chases etc all would really make that world feel alive.

Even with the gangs. You do something wrong, gangs should hunt you down, shoot up your apartment. None of this is some new idea either, all of this is from shit from like 20 years ago.

I just feel like I'd rather have this done by another team. Keep the artist and writers, get rid of everyone else, outsource it to a different team, sell the IP, something...

What 20 year old game had gangs hunting you down and attacking your home besides in story sequences?

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
It's still buggy as shit. I finished fighting a gang 20 levels higher than me (took about an hour), and at the very end, I got stuck on an object in the crouch position. I still managed to kill the last ones like that, but I ended up having to switch to the katana and do a jumping backwards attack to get out of it.

Last edited:

Aggelos

Current state of the game on PC, is it safe to get and play now, or are we still in a wait and hold pattern till the 1st big January patch?

I would say you oughta wait for the February patch.
It all boils down to your tolerance levels - how much can you tolerate having bugs and glitches "on your table".
And since you're asking (by means of starting a thread) that's probably an indication that your tolerance levels are relatively low.

Last edited:

EDMIX

What 20 year old game had gangs hunting you down and attacking your home besides in story sequences?

In GTA many gangs would shoot you when you enter their area on the PS2.

The whole attacking your home was simply my take on what they could do.

A lot of that could have been done in CP2077. It simply feels like they are "gangs" in name and story only, their AI and behavior simply doesn't support it and it really breaks the narrative.

Last edited:
In GTA many gangs would shoot you when you enter their area on the PS2.

The whole attacking your home was simply my take on what they could do.

In Cyberpunk entering there territory will set them off, they will tell you to get lost, you've got a short grace period to do so before they start firing.

Rikkori

Haters gonna hate, playas gonna play

wnAZDXF.gif

EDMIX

In Cyberpunk entering there territory will set them off, they will tell you to get lost, you've got a short grace period to do so before they start firing.

Not really. I've walked all of Pacifica and they didn't do anything to me, NPCs literally just kept saying the same things over and over. Only when you directly walk up to the gangs directly do they do anything, but thats the same broken AI with the police.

It can be better and on the level of GTASA. Its clear they have a lot to work on and I think they simply need a bigger team that has experience with this type of thing.

If we are going to be angry at the management for anything, be angry they are trying to have a team of 500 do the work of 1000 or more. Some of theses concepts are not brand new ideas and if one is going to make a game about gangs, crime, cars etc in a city, clearly the ability for them to drive and shoot at you randomly or have different levels of AI is needed to push that narrative further.

Last edited:

rob305

Just finished the game on the Series X, had an absolute blast. Clocked around 65 hours, did a lot of the side quests (but not the side gigs). If you have a powerful PC go for it, I didnt have any major bugs on the xbox

Not really. I've walked all of Pacifica and they didn't do anything to me, NPCs literally just kept saying the same things over and over. Only when you directly walk up to the gangs directly do they do anything, but thats the same broken AI with the police.

It can be better and on the level of GTASA.

It depends on if you're entering specific gang territory or not. The mini-map will indicate it's a hostile area. The gang members are literally everywhere, it'd be weird if any time you saw one they attacked you or some shit. Though, I am fine with the idea of a gang reputation system where with enough grievances against such a gang they'll be on your ass... but GTA doesn't have that either so I don't get your point.

EDMIX

I am fine with the idea of a gang reputation system where with enough grievances against such a gang they'll be on your ass... but GTA doesn't have that either so I don't get your point.

My point is many games do this and the feature exist. Its not saying it needs to be GTA, its saying Fallout New Vegas, Saints Row, Shadow Of Mordor etc have some systems set up for respect, territory, tagging, rival gangs, nemesis etc. So GTASA doesn't have that, but shit GTASA also came out in 2004.

The point is simply one would expect a team even making such a game to meet and beat such concepts if they are even making a game in city about gangs and crime. So yes, GTASA doesn't have that, but that doesn't really answer why CP2077 doesn't when its the 2020 game, GTASA is a game from 2004.

I feel the team could have implemented many of theses things as bits and pieces of what we are talking about exist in many games that have come out over the generations. Even if I didn't expect what you where saying, I at the least expected the gangs chasing me in a car, me killing a gang member closing a quest I could have done as a street kid etc.

When the sequel comes out or the updates and they say they are going to add this, you can't really tell me you'd be mad or you'd question it being in the game. All of this only helps push that narrative further.

Hezekiah

Banned
It's all random. can have 10 bugs or 10k bugs.
The game is kinda bad anyway...

Not sure how people can watch videos like this and still call the game a masterpiece. The AI sounds really disappointing, the skills/abilities look way too limited or broken due to time constraints.

I'll wait for the GOTY edition in a year's time. No idea what's going to happen with the multiplayer component.

Yet Legions is playable and has car chases and smarter NPC. So shit I agree that game is average as fuck, but what the fuck does that make CP2077 that lacks those features?

Watchdogs 1 downgrade was bad, but the team let people have a demo of the game before release, they didn't just hid reviews, lie to consumers etc.

This shit is beyond Watchdogs 1 downgrade bud lol I'd be happy if it was JUST that in fact. Simply a downgrade, not a fucking out right lie about a laundry list of features.

I know right, where would they get that idea.

I know right, let me check with the developer to see if the game would run fine.

Its hard to defend this stuff bud. Its really, really hard when you have the developer basically saying the opposite of what you are saying... we didn't just fucking make up what this game was going to be. They made those statements, lied, walked it back, got sued.

Soooo I own the game day 1, that doesn't mean I'm going to fucking shill for the company and ignore just a long list of lies and then blame gamers for their actions or something. I don't know how anyone would know this shit before release when the developer themselves literally hid reviews, stopped people from showing their own footage and then lied about removed features and the condition of the game to the point of being sued.

Who the fuck is going to know that before release other them CDPR themselves?

So nothing wrong if you like the game man, but the community needs to be honest about what happened here instead of finding hundreds of excuses for cut content, hiding reviews and lying about the condition of a game.

I enjoyed many aspects of the game, as I do many games, but I don't lie for fucking games bud. If something is wrong, even if I fucking like many things about a game, I must voice that instead of shilling man. I did the same thing for Red Dead 2 and in hindsight those issues are fucking minor compared to this. Its basically a different game.

Closer to Borderlands then anything tbh.

Everything in that trailer is true and in the game as much as I have seen. Feel free to give me a breakdown what is false in the trailer.

A+ post until I get called a shill for calling out the dishonest discourse that has been plagued with lies, fairweathet Youtubers who were all in on the hype but quickly turned once they didn't get advanced review copies and smelled dollars in the water.

Yet again, someone wants gamers to shirk all semblemance of personal purchasing responsibility, like what adults do all the time, because the big bad game company "lied" to me. No one is saying the NPC or PD AI is up to snuff and never has. I never said it either. Also, that 1000 NPC article is actually false and a mistranslation. As I said before, the source in that article is a fucking Reddit post. For real? That''sNice try but y'all can stop posting it now.

Homes? 2020 article, instead of a 2018 article, says you unlock homes via progressing the game.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ga...unk-2077-can-you-buy-apartments-or-houses?amp

Acid rain? Seen it in game. It's been posted before in the LowSodium subreddit. Next.

Before and shortly after launch? Yeah my sympathies went out to console players. Now? I don't give two shits. People finished the game and got refunds. Get the refund and put some fucking pressure on Sony to change their highly anti-consumer refund policy that doesn't allow refunds. That article isn't technically wrong either and entirely subjective.. 30fps and under and shit resolutions have been the accepted norm for multiple console generations now for that "cinematic" feel, whereas I always felt like console framerates for most games were a fucking travesty yet we all put up with them. Thankfully, people finally seem to understand how much better 60fps+ is than the previous dogshit game performances.

As I've said before, stop lying. Stop making stuff up. Stop pre-ordering. Stop posting Youtube merch stores fronting as news and reviews sources. Have an honest discussion about the game. Talk about what you wish was there, what features you think would benefit the game. Talk about the story, quests, and characters, the main reason most of us bought it in the first place. Talk about what you hate or dislike but explain your reasons, as we have done in the spoilers thread. If you hate the game, cool! Move on. Go play something better. Why waste energy on a "broken and buggy" game?

Lol at mentioning CDPR getting sued. Really? Afaik, and I've never worked for a corporation so someone correct me if wrong, this isn't some freak occurence and happens from time to time. You just never heard about it because now it's about a company you know and the story is a juicy clickbait article like the "70% of the Cyberpunk audience has DROPPED the game on Steam. Watch these two non-skippable adds to find out!"

Not sure how people can watch videos like this and still call the game a masterpiece. The AI sounds really disappointing, the skills/abilities look way too limited or broken due to time constraints.

I'll wait for the GOTY edition in a year's time. No idea what's going to happen with the multiplayer component.

Not sure how people can take "reviews" from a dude with a merch store and fucking bandcamp links seriously. Didn't source his own footage, very misleading statements stated as fact, doesn't discuss the actual meat of the game, etc. The GamerzRizeUp! crowd threw a colossal hissy fit and started a crusade to "cleanse games journalism" a few years back because some chick blew a games journo or something. But this is acceptable?

My point is many games do this and the feature exist. Its not saying it needs to be GTA, its saying Fallout New Vegas, Saints Row, Shadow Of Mordor etc have some systems set up for respect, territory, tagging, rival gangs, nemesis etc. So GTASA doesn't have that, but shit GTASA also came out in 2004.

The point is simply one would expect a team even making such a game to meet and beat such concepts if they are even making a game in city about gangs and crime. So yes, GTASA doesn't have that, but that doesn't really answer why CP2077 doesn't when its the 2020 game, GTASA is a game from 2004.

I feel the team could have implemented many of theses things as bits and pieces of what we are talking about exist in many games that have come out over the generations. Even if I didn't expect what you where saying, I at the least expected the gangs chasing me in a car, me killing a gang member closing a quest I could have done as a street kid etc.

When the sequel comes out or the updates and they say they are going to add this, you can't really tell me you'd be mad or you'd question it being in the game. All of this only helps push that narrative further.

Why are you stuck on San Andreas? Most open world games don't have reputation systems with different gangs.

I wouldn't be mad about new features added to the game, no.

Because we've played the game and know that video doesn't really touch on anything that truly matters. You watched a youtube video, I played the game for 200+ hours... not sure you're in a position to question how someone could call it a masterpiece.

This was never a game about gangs. V isn't CJ, he/she isn't a gangbanger or even a former gangbanger. V is a merc, a hitman, a thief, a gun for hire. I did kill a gang member that closed a quest in the boxing quests. It didn't fail either and all I got was a text from the coach saying "heard some shit went down" and quest portion completed.

I do agree I wish more studios copied the Nemesis system. I thought it was a briliant mechanic and was the only reason I ever completed those games. Looks like not enough people felt the same.

Self

Because we've played the game and know that video doesn't really touch on anything that truly matters. You watched a youtube video, I played the game for 200+ hours... not sure you're in a position to question how someone could call it a masterpiece.

Happens all the time mate.
Same thing happend to TLoU Part 2.
Some people just don't bother to play the actual game, when it's enough to watch frivolous YouTube clips and summaries.

A game can be masterpiece for several different reasons.

Hezekiah

Banned
Why are you stuck on San Andreas? Most open world games don't have reputation systems with different gangs.

I wouldn't be mad about new features added to the game, no.

For every one of you, there are a hundred PC gamers that say the opposite. I know which side I am banking on for a reliable opinion.

Rikkori

The game just feels good to play. They nailed the movement and shooting, which is super important for a first person game.

At least with KB+M controls. I honestly am not a fan of how it feels with a controller outside of driving.
Absolutely. Playing it with a gamepad is playing handicapped. It's a whole 'nother experience for M&KB. It's a fluid, very responsive, fast-paced first person game with all sorts of abilities and timings. It's just awful to experience it on a gamepad outside of being a pure netrunner.

MangalaX

Neo Member
I finished the game. I played on 3700x and 3080. The game looks gorgeous at times but the city is dead, there is no interaction, no fun, no choices, everything is fake or meaningless.
Some quests had fun story but only that.
The game made me realize that Days gone have much better open world than this. Even fallout 4 world is better.
The game is fine but it's a bad rpg, bad shooter and bad open world. It just looks good and some story bits are cool.
There is no open world gameplay, there is no ai, no police, no dynamic encounters. Just go to quest 1 then got o quest 2, fake choices along the way... stats are broken...
AND THEN all the bugs on top of that which are way worse than any fallout. Fallout 4 might have shit story but open world was super fun to play

YZYN0m7.png

Edit: Before You comment on my playtime. I finished a lot of side quests too. If the game is shit by hour 54... it's not gonna get better.
Yeah totally agree with you....Fallout just needed a liiiiitle better story, and the dialogue options were terrible too, but everything else was amazing....The crafting in fallout is miles ahead of this game, totally dissapointed....

EDMIX

This was never a game about gangs. V isn't CJ, he/she isn't a gangbanger or even a former gangbanger

I'm not really too sure about that because of how the game has changed with Keanu Reeves being included I believe the game prior was more open because even the trailer makes this argument that you could make it from rags to riches and why even have multiple life paths if you're trying to tell me the character is some specific thing? It makes being a corporate or a street kid or Nomad completely irrelevant.

So I don't disagree with you that that is what the game currently is simply that it seems to go against its own ideology by even having those life path in the first place let's be honest here if they completely removed all of that shit you probably are still going to have the same experience especially if you're just telling me he's a Hitman for hire then it sounds like you already have a life path set up for this guy what's the point of giving us any option at all?

So if anything my post is not saying what the game is as much as it's trying to say what I wish it was based on the earlier Concepts that they were showing us. V needs to be allowed to be whatever the fuck we want him to be as this is still an RPG why remove that option from us and then give us some option for life path or to create a character? That sounds kind of meaningless if they're just going to have some pre-written person.

So I have no problem with RPGs that have a set person but I believe the criticism being made is completely Justified because they are the ones that even open the door with such a create a character and life path only to tell us the person is a hit man or he's this or that. It gives an illusion of choice while forcing a specific character.

So because the game is already about gangs and different factions I want to see that fleshed-out. that's probably not going to happen with any of the updates but I do hope that ends up happening with a proper sequel.

Because its one of the best examples for what this game could do with such a system. So yes, most open world games don't have one, but this game could. Its all speculation on what they could do with a sequel. I would argue most games not having that is even more of a reason why they should aim to be that different if they really want to make the next generation of open world design. I want to see them fight to do more, not less features. I don't know who that helps.

I hope those are all things they add in the sequel btw as I believe it would be a greatly missed opportunity. All the pieces exist to make that work in this series.

Kadayi

Banned
The game just feels good to play. They nailed the movement and shooting, which is super important for a first person game.

At least with KB+M controls. I honestly am not a fan of how it feels with a controller outside of driving.

I like a lean-back experience and have been playing using a controller on PC and I found it perfectly fine. The only time I used M&K (or just M tbh) was the shooting competition for Wilson because...goddamn it Rudy is hard to beat (though I recommend using a Lexington as well as it requires less reloading).

Also, I know he has me on Ignore ( because he''s a fragile bitch) but I do have to Marvel as WEETABIX continuing to bemoan that CP2077 isn't GTA despite the developers never once implying it would be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Woggleman

I have tried using a keyboard during the brief time we had Stadia and I don't know how people do it. A controller just feels right to me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I like a lean-back experience and have been playing using a controller on PC and I found it perfectly fine. The only time I used M&K (or just M tbh) was the shooting competition for Wilson because...goddamn it Rudy is hard to beat (though I recommend using a Lexington as well as it requires less reloading).

I don't know, I found there was some really weird acceleration going on when looking around with the right stick. It looks like you can adjust it, but I'm not trying to bother with that stuff.

I also really don't like navigating the interface with a gamepad. Just feels really cumbersome.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
If you want to play 1440p with a decent framerate and all of the graphical doodads that make the visuals worth seeing you'll need a high end PC with at least a RTX 2080 Super. If you can't swing that then I'd say no, wait until they patch this thing up. I love the game, its visuals, and other presentation-related things, but it's honestly optimized like shit. For example, without DLSS I think the game barely looks current gen at times, let alone next gen.

For 1080p without any of the bells and whistles it seems like people with middling systems are doing fine.

mxbison

I've almost finished it and love the game, but if you managed to resist the launch hype might aswell wait a little longer.

You'll definitely get a better game in ~6 months.

aries_71

No, its not ready yet. I've played the game in Stadia, which is basically a medium PC build, and there's too many bugs not related to performance that would spoil the experience. It's many little things that constantly kills the immersion.

Wait 6-12 months. There's plenty of stuff.

Though, I am fine with the idea of a gang reputation system where with enough grievances against such a gang they'll be on your ass... but GTA doesn't have that either so I don't get your point.
Someone has never tried to drive around Saint Mark's after assassinating Salvatore Leone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom