• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

harlekin

Wish I wasn't serious:

Probably youtuber knows nothing syndrom mixed in as well.

Tom's Hardware had FPS charts of the Denuvo version on - which they seemed to have taken down, which painted the picture very well.
(Previous link I believe: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/cyberpunk-2077-performance-preview )

As soon as you activate raytracing based features, as usual - and as expected, game performance more than halves. So you are very much encouraged to pick up the difference by enabling DLSS.

I've seen reviewers out there that have no Idea what DLSS is, and that have spread false information on what it does, and reviewers that were astonished, that deactivating it reduces bluriness, and reviewers that blamed 'if you turn it to performance, the character model looks like its 360p" on "they still need to figure it out".

CDPR has combated that, by telling reviewers that "straying from presets" (high, ultra) can lead to 'unexpected performance issues - which is basically saying - we are confident, that you are too dumb to know about the impact of raytracing yet - dont blame it on us. ;)

Basic rundown is this. Raytracing features have very high impact. As in - with most of them (different types - in general, not talking about Cyberpunk 2077) turned on - even on top tier cards, you are expected to get 1080p60 performance at most.

This is where DLSS comes in. DLSS is a fancy shader (/"upscaler"), that allows a game to render in 1080p, but with edge enhancement, sharpening / selective blur... mixed in, so people have the 'perception of a game running higher res'. So - heavy post processing, but at almost no cost, because its done on the frame (image output) level rather than on the render level. Which also leads to some undesired artifacts (shimmering, increased bluriness at certain distance levels, ...)

"Single digit framecount - when you look into a mirror" is exactly what you would expect if 'super expert' has turned on "1440p or pfourK", jacked raytracing features to max - hasnt set DLSS, and now is playing at medium detail levels because they dont know what they are doing.

So there is a high likelyhood - of that stuff going on as well.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Hopefully Hardware Unboxed or someone will do an optimized settings review.

Anyone remember when Nvidia used to do a breakdown of settings in games and how it would effects the cards performance. I wish there are more of that for big releases. Gives you an idea of what to expect on your system.
these?

i hope we get one for Cyberpunk too!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
There is no excuse for Cyberpunk to not run well enough on base consoles.

Game went into full production in 2016 from what I read and was originally to come out before next gen consoles even launched.

If RDR2, gta v and the many huge open world Ubisoft games etc. are running well on those consoles so should Cyberpunk, otherwise they simply didn't optimize it enough.

Getting my ps4 copy tomorrow, hopefully it plays fine.
I played Dragon Age Inquisition on Xbox 360 when it was released as cross gen. Ran like poop. You cannot expect a game in 2020 run amazing on a console released 7 years ago.

Irobot82

these?

Exactly! The closest I have seen to this is Hardware Unboxed doing their settings but I loved these!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Exactly! The closest I have seen to this is Hardware Unboxed doing their settings but I loved these!
seems nvidia pick and choose what they want to do. the last one seems to have been in january this year.

if they do another one then i guess cyberpunk has a chance of being that game.

jaysius

Banned
Who is Karak and why should i pay attention to his reviews?

He's really peeling back all the bullshit that typical reviewers hide, and he's starting to talk about "taboo" "forbidden" topics in typical youtube review channels.

His reviews are honest, his rating scale is "buy/sell/ wait for sale".

Dries

these?

Yes, we need these for Cyberpunk! Along with those comparison screens where you could move the slider yourself.

Rayderism

On PS4, yes. My timer added on 13 hours. If it were to happen to you in the US and they returned to the officially marked times on the map they provided for everything outside of GoG, it would only be a 5 hour extension til 12am on Thursday morning.

Yeah, my pre-order added some hours (not sure how many) too. Originally, by the time listed, it should have unlocked on the 9th, but immediately after pre-loading the game it extended the countdown so it will be the 10th before it unlocks.

Played and finished it at launch

To me, it was already a masterpiece.

It struggled at crookback bog and novigrad, but it was such an amazing feat that I couldnt care less about the 20 fps

Inventory was also a mess, but apart from that, 10/10

Thats why I dont give a damn about bugs in Cyberpunk

I've finished Skyrim on the PS3 (and Fallout 3)

I've finished Minish Cap on a GBA emulator at 4 fps

People are spoiled these days
Cool story, and I played New Vegas day 1 with multiple restarts because of progression bugs I encountered. While I loved Witcher 3, I would rather be not chance the final boss just starring at me menacingly instead of attacking again and a few progression bugs in some side quests again for my first playthrough, but enjoy your 4FPS games buddy, I will stay spoiled!

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Sam is a great guy and all but man....I just can't watch him now that Ralph has left :/

Laymen was perfect for me, SkillUp is definitely still great, but yeah....gutted they ended doing videos together.
Yeah, Sam is definitely still getting his feet wet. He's getting better and better, but it's gonna take some time before he really gets it down. I admire him going all in though.

Them separating bummed me out as well TBH, I loved them doing things together, but I get it. I respect them for trying to do what they really wanna do, y'know?

Really looking forward to SkillUp's impressions. Loved that Ralph refused to partake in a review without being allowed to show his own footage. I would've done the same thing.

When the dust is settled, I really hope CDPR learns from this experience. Whatever their next game is gonna be, they really need to shut the fuck up, keep their heads down, and don't even announce the game until they're in the polishing phase. They really did themselves way more harm than good with the way they marketed the game, and announcing the release date too early. The hype for the game got way out of hand.

I wish they'd learned from FF vXIII aka FFXV. So much hype, for SO many years, and it turned out to be a boy band on a road trip. Ugh.

I have no doubt however that after the Day 1 patch and a couple tweaks it'll be g2g.

Irobot82

I wish they'd learned from FF vXIII aka FFXV. So much hype, for SO many years, and it turned out to be a boy band on a road trip. Ugh.

I have no doubt however that after the Day 1 patch and a couple tweaks it'll be g2g.
I just hope it's more fun than FFXV. I didn't not find it very fun. It was mostly a chore for me.

Irobot82

I tried and couldn't do it. I made it an hour or so in. The corny dialogue and *oh my god* bland environment killed it.

My biggest problem was just how empty the open world was. In Skyrim(I know dead horse) every nook and cranny had a reward for exploring. What this cave, oh neat new weapon. What's this town, oh neat new quests. When I played Skyrim it was like "You are the chosen one Dovakin." Cool story bro, and I went of frolicking into the wild. In FFXV, it was just EEEEEEMMPTY with nothing to explore and nothing to reward it.

I hope, in Cyberpunk, I can find something neat at every turn of the street corner. That for me will be the most exciting thing.

meech

I thought Mass Effect 2, at least for its time, was as good as it gets. Story wise in hindsight they wrote themselves into a corner, but that's neither here or there. I just know at the time that game was awesome.
Rose tinted glases. The main plot was a bad joke(see Shamus Young Mass Effect 2 retroperspective as good explanation why),biotics and tech powers nerfed beyond oblivion, no meaningfull skill progression or customization.Most loyality missions boring daddy issues etc. Game is completely overrated.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I thinks it's a good thing that CDPR have not allowed reviews to use their own footage and only use old cyberpunk footage. Majority of the reviewiers always spoil the games for buyers trying to be first.

I hope its something that should happen more in the future.

ultrazilla

As soon as you activate raytracing based features, as usual - and as expected, game performance more than halves. So you are very much encouraged to pick up the difference by enabling DLSS.

I've seen reviewers out there that have no Idea what DLSS is, and that have spread false information on what it does, and reviewers that were astonished, that deactivating it reduces bluriness, and reviewers that blamed 'if you turn it to performance, the character model looks like its 360p" on "they still need to figure it out".

*CLIP*

In my experience coming from playing a ton of Battlefield 5 with ray tracing, putting DLSS on is a MUST. It helps make up for the framerate loss big time. There's no reason *not* to use it IMO, especially if you want
to run ray tracing.

Battlefield 5 with ray tracing/dlss on at 1440p and 165hz refresh monitor, I'm getting well into the 70-low 80s frame rates with my Nvidia 2080 Founder's Edition.

Gonna play Cyberpunk 2077 the same way: 1440p ray tracing and dlss enabled and 165hz refresh. Hopefully performance is pretty steady.

Though there is talk of a few "big" patches hitting at launch. The main "game" was a 60 gig preload on Steam.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Yeah, Sam is definitely still getting his feet wet. He's getting better and better, but it's gonna take some time before he really gets it down. I admire him going all in though.

Them separating bummed me out as well TBH, I loved them doing things together, but I get it. I respect them for trying to do what they really wanna do, y'know?

Really looking forward to SkillUp's impressions. Loved that Ralph refused to partake in a review without being allowed to show his own footage. I would've done the same thing.
Yep SkillUps review will be great to watch - he nearly always mirrors my thoughts too, depends on how much the bugs affected his playthrough IMO.

Absolutely love hearing the story/writing/world building is sublime by nearly all reviewers except ol Gamespot (RIP), hoping this miraculous day 1 patch is some form of magic, I'm a bit sensitive to bugs myself....immersion break me.

MMaRsu

Banned
*CLIP*

In my experience coming from playing a ton of Battlefield 5 with ray tracing, putting DLSS on is a MUST. It helps make up for the framerate loss big time. There's no reason *not* to use it IMO, especially if you want
to run ray tracing.

Battlefield 5 with ray tracing/dlss on at 1440p and 165hz refresh monitor, I'm getting well into the 70-low 80s frame rates with my Nvidia 2080 Founder's Edition.

Gonna play Cyberpunk 2077 the same way: 1440p ray tracing and dlss enabled and 165hz refresh. Hopefully performance is pretty steady.

Though there is talk of a few "big" patches hitting at launch. The main "game" was a 60 gig preload on Steam.

Keep in mind that BFV barely uses RTX

Madflavor

Rose tinted glases. The main plot was a bad joke(see Shamus Young Mass Effect 2 retroperspective as good explanation why),biotics and tech powers nerfed beyond oblivion, no meaningfull skill progression or customization.Most loyality missions boring daddy issues etc. Game is completely overrated.

I mean those complaints were sounded off at the time, and most people include myself didn't let it ruin the experience for them.

In the end it really doesn't matter, because I don't care about Mass Effect anymore. The third game completely ruined the series for me. so even though I loved ME2 at the time, I don't feel the motivation to defend it.

MiguelItUp

Yep SkillUps review will be great to watch - he nearly always mirrors my thoughts too, depends on how much the bugs affected his playthrough IMO.

Absolutely love hearing the story/writing/world building is sublime by nearly all reviewers except ol Gamespot (RIP), hoping this miraculous day 1 patch is some form of magic, I'm a bit sensitive to bugs myself....immersion break me.
Yup, I feel the exact same about SkillUp as well.

As do I! I'm really excited. Bugs suck and can ruin immersion for me, but ultimately I can see passed them. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, haha. Maybe all the years of QA just made me numb, hahaha.

Hugare

Cool story, and I played New Vegas day 1 with multiple restarts because of progression bugs I encountered. While I loved Witcher 3, I would rather be not chance the final boss just starring at me menacingly instead of attacking again and a few progression bugs in some side quests again for my first playthrough, but enjoy your 4FPS games buddy, I will stay spoiled!
Point me a review where someone says that they werent able to finish the game due to a game breaking bug

"I had to load a savestate to correct a bug". Oh, the horror!

Havent seen anything quite like "multiple restarts because of progression bugs", but you can point me out some

Iorveth

Banned
I really wish they delayed this to 2021 quite some time ago. If this game gets a bad first impression, it will put a serious limit to lifetime sales.

Low initial sales = potentially smaller scope expansions.
It's also disappointing to read so many reviews that say it's a masterpiece yet only give it a 9 because of bugs. I hope the normies aren't devastated when they finally play it.

Also, that Gamespot review is just atrocious and I'm not talking about trans issues or their negativity. But the structure and criticisms are just so amateur. Why list some of the heaviest criticism in the "Cons" section at the end of a review, if you never even mentioned them in the body? Why do people complain that many of the systems are superfluous yet they never considered upping the difficulty? This is the "Quen - Light attack " issue all over again.

As for me, I am excited to, hopefully, get another Groundhog's Day-esque branching narrative similar to The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

Last edited:

Snaven Shake

Neo Member
She said "I wished the world felt more essential", based on that fact, she complained that you could not go shopping in the game.

She certainly is a good example of a "female stereotype".

Shopping!

They should release the "Shopping DLC" for the 1% of people out there that actually care.

To be fair this seems like a pretty consistent criticism across multiple reviews. Night City was positioned to be the star of the game, a living, breathing world, but it sounds more and more like the ways in which you can actually interact with it are limited. People encounter vendors that you can not make purchases from, for example. I know personally this is a bit of a disappointment for me as well.

That isn't to say anything about the quality of the rest of the review, but that particular talking point doesn't seem that out of line, and a relatively fair critique based on the type of expectations CD Projekt Red gave us.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
She said "I wished the world felt more essential", based on that fact, she complained that you could not go shopping in the game.

She certainly is a good example of a "female stereotype".

Shopping!

They should release the "Shopping DLC" for the 1% of people out there that actually care.

Didnt she say she didnt care about shopping? I mean the review is a turd but youve got it backwards

scalman

hey in the end everyone has their own opinion no ? review is just someones opinion, nothing more, and people thought they will get in this game like everything, all you could do in open world, in other games ,because you can.

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:
This can't be real.

The best part is after the video there's an impressions video where the guy talks about how meaningful and "like the main quest" the side quests are (one of her major criticisms was how they weren't meaningful).

I'll be honest; I am excited AF for this game and I'm not sure if the hype is getting to people, or the critics who dogged it or gave shit reviews just didn't "get" the game or enjoy it (which I can understand, I really didn't enjoy TW3, but that was more on me for not enjoying the combat and being bored with the fantasy setting overall).

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
40 pages in 24 hours. Well done!
tenor.gif

John2290

Polygon and Kotaku mentioned the words "trans" 23+ times in their reviews but the words "bug" and "Glitch" zero times. Lmao, I can't find the time stamp feature for embedding but the video has those sectioned things and Polygon/Kotaku start at around 8 mins. Love how these people can't even review the damn game, a 7/10, eh, that'll really stick it to the bigots like the 5/10 for Days gone secured world peace and gained Kellie Plagge resounding fame for going against the straight, white conventional male character and hetronormative relationship you're forced to play out.

Last edited:

luffie

So i guess in the end that reddit undercover developer was right? That the game is buggy & still needs month of polish?
Truly a pity for CDPR tho, they could have made even more impact if they didn't try to rush it so much.

MMaRsu

Banned
So i guess in the end that reddit undercover developer was right? That the game is buggy & still needs month of polish?
Truly a pity for CDPR tho, they could have made even more impact if they didn't try to rush it so much.

Its not got the day 1 patch so...

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I do not know if I am allowed but maybe Ailynn Ailynn can help you here. Sorry for tagging you into this.
Thank you very much for tagging me- I may have missed this otherwise!

fun story: i got banned from ResetEra for saying i wish i could be transgender but felt too scared to go through with it.

i wanted to (still do) transition to female. i spoke about how i felt like killing myself. but apparently i'm transphobic.
i'm transphobic i suppose because i was scared to go ahead with it. for having doubts. for fear of being bullied. unless you go into it with no questions, hesitation, or fears then you're transphobic (in their eyes) lol.

Stories like this absolutely break my heart. The lack of empathy you were shown is horrible, and I am so very sorry you were treated that way. :lollipop_crying:💔

I know all too well those exact fears - I buried those same worries deep inside out of fear of being bullied worse than I already was...for fear of losing all those who loved me, and because my strong Christian upbringing made me worry if I was an abomination in the eyes of God. It was a different time...and it ensured that not only did I feel like something was wrong with me, but that I was a horrible disgusting person because of what I felt deep inside. I forced myself to live as others expected me to, and eventually not only did I secretly hate my body...I started despising my very soul and eventually became very depressed, anxious, and suicidal.

I finally decided to transition at age 40 after realizing it would hurt those I love more if I was dead than if I told them the truth and live as a woman. Some were very surprised, others not so much...but I was shown love and compassion where my fears told me I would only find abandonment and exile. Upon medically transitioning, my horrific gender dysphoria mostly disappeared as well as my depression and want for suicide. My relationship with the Lord grew so much stronger...as I realized He knew my deeper feelings and struggles, and He loves me more than I will ever truly understand despite my shortcomings. ❤

(One year into transition, my family and I learned that I was caused prenatal sexual differentiation and birth defects by epigenetic exposure to a drug called Diethylstilbestrol.)

Anyway, what I'm saying is this...Your feelings of worry are founded in reality and nothing to simply wave away as "transphobic." Transition is a very difficult and expensive process...and what I would consider a last resort alternative to suicide. Most transsexuals do not celebrate being trans, and would wish to have been born their ideal sex at birth more than anything. The problem is that the so-called transgender "community" is being overrun with fetishists and/or people who became trans through porn addiction, people who suffer dissociative identity disorder brought on through sexual abuse as a child, and people who feel outcast in a number of ways and latch onto the trans umbrella to feel like they belong and may even simply wish to feel special in a way (like "Tucutes" and people who think you don't need gender dysphoria to be trans).

You are who you are, and there is some reason for that. It's healthy and medically recommended to seek help and search within oneself for answers on "Why do I feel this way?", "What is my best course of action?", and "What will happen if I make these life-changing decisions?" It is insane to think such worries and self-reflections are transphobic.

Please know that you are more than welcome here, and even though I can be poor at responding in a timely manner at times...please know you can message me privately with any questions or if you just want to talk. Thank you so much for sharing, and I wish you only happiness and blessings in your life. I will be praying for you and I'm sending you a big hug! ❤

Last edited:
Top Bottom