• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm seeing nothing yet so I'm guessing only for those who have the game? Not sure how that works.
i checked too but thought maybe it was taking a while to update the page or there was another way to download them (like through GFE)

review is in progress, for now 9 and maybe 9.6 after the day one patch.
oh i like that easter egg in the screenshot

don't want to post a spoiler.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Move on from the Gamespot review people, it’s fine to not engage with all aspects of a game before reviewing it.

If those aspects are critical to the game then it is not fine. It is an RPG not an FPS. You shouldn’t play a fighting game and complain about 3D or play a racing game and complain the character can’t get out of the car. She should be knowledgeable in the genre she’s playing.

Dr. Doak

Looks amazing with RT. Daylight is only accounted by the GI with Raytracing. In these scenes, daylight is coming in through doors from next to the vending machine and behind the player in the first comparison, illuminating the scene nicely. AO is also a lot better.

RT GI takes this game to the next level.
It looks way better without RT or is it just me?

If I buy the game now for Xbox Series S - I presume it would go as Xbox One version with backwards compatibility - will I get a get free update to next gen version?

Astorian

If those aspects are critical to the game then it is not fine. It is an RPG not an FPS. You shouldn’t play a fighting game and complain about 3D or play a racing game and complain the character can’t get out of the car. She should be knowledgeable in the genre she’s playing.
Considering she was able to finish the game without even bothering with them then I’d say they weren’t critical, as long as their criticism isn’t about the things they didn’t try then I don’t see the issue with giving their thought on everything else they’ve experienced.

Braag

Shame about all the bugs. I've played through TW3 like 5 times so I'll probably have several playthroughs of CP2077 as well. Some will be more bug free than others I hope. They need to do some serious bug fixing in the first couple of months.

kuncol02

Banned
all the light sources except the one at the far end are reddish hues. red, pink, purple. 3 of the posters are purple. 1 white and 1 green/blue/white. so it's not that surprising the entire scene looks like a darkroom.

honestly i don't get why the RTX on scene is so bright. there's not any white-ish light sources. the posters do emit a lot of light not enough to light the entire scene. the most vibrant are the neon lights above the posters.
To have red light you would need to have only light sources of red light. With no posters, no sun light, no white neon lights. Especially that hand is not red, that means there is white light behind player.

Great Hair

Banned
Is open critic supposed to give same weight to each review? I'm pretty sure metacritic uses weighted score

If you look at Demon´s Souls review (82 scored reviews, all 82 counted, have same weight). Why does this not apply to CP2077?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

No, but it's as much of a review as Giant bomb does these days.

If Jeff says it's too buggy to play, I believe it.
I'm sure there's some truth to that statement, at least from Jeff's perspective. But I agree with others that say Jeff just feels so incredibly sour these days. I legit can't remember the last time he was real positive or gushed about a release.

On that same coin people like Yong and Laymen (Sam), said their experience was awesome and enjoyable. Adding that though the bugs did bog down their experience, it didn't do it in such a way where they didn't enjoy their time in Night City.

Honestly I feel like it may just be a "your mileage may vary" kinda thing.

Reviewers aren't using the day 1 patch though, right? (Not that I expect this to transform everything)
Correct, they received a (I believe?) 49/50GB patch that addressed quite a bit. Problem is no one really knows what it fixed. Yong mentioned a few bugs disappearing when he started a new save after receiving it. But his previous save didn't see the fixes. Sounds like CDPR could've communicated things a bit better.

The day 1 patch is said to be heftier and fix more things, but we'll have to wait and see how that goes.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I'm pretty annoyed that 13 hours was extended onto the release, this is the second time they've lied now and I've cleared no less than five days because of this. I wish they'd stick to their shit and stop lying. Not that those days were esspecially important, they weren't but it really sits badly with me that I either have to get things back on track on Wednesday, wait until Friday evening to play it or be tired as fuck with a midnight release. I'm too old too be waiting up until 6am but fuck it, I'll figure it out.

Not sure what you mean by this. As far as I'm aware I have the steam version, and it unlocks at 7:00 p.m. on wednesday. Are you saying that got extended by 13 hours to 8:00 a.m. on Thursday morning?

John2290

Not sure what you mean by this. As far as I'm aware I have the steam version, and it unlocks at 7:00 p.m. on wednesday. Are you saying that got extended by 13 hours to 8:00 a.m. on Thursday morning?
On PS4, yes. My timer added on 13 hours. If it were to happen to you in the US and they returned to the officially marked times on the map they provided for everything outside of GoG, it would only be a 5 hour extension til 12am on Thursday morning.

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
I'm so glad that it's 91 on MC, really hope it will not go down and review bombed by so called "journalist".
All the world is suddenly "trans aware" and "trans expert", that's so ridiculous.
This game deserves a better fate than a SJW witch hunt.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Not exactly certain what version of the game reviewers are playing. This seems to indicate that there are two patches involved at this point. Pre-launch and launch.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-gets-large-pre-launch-patch

Of course, the launch patch is probably in the process of being continually updated to address more of the bugs referenced.
I got a second update for the Series X version yesterday and if I remember correctly, it's now at version 1.0.0.6 or something. I'll double check in a bit, not sure if that's the Day 1 patch though.

Edit:
9tb9kyb.jpg

Last edited:

SullaFelix

Neo Member
Reviews look to be pretty good across the board with a few exceptions. The bugs obviously don't help, but as long as I don't need to deal with New Vegas level crashing I can live with it. I've got some time off over Christmas and should be able to bang out a playthrough or two.

Who is Karak and why should i pay attention to his reviews?

Hes a fellow GAFFER Karak Karak and can be found roaming our forum threads every now and then.

But notably, he is considered one of the few least bias game reviewers and his reviews are always more in depth than the large number of outlets.

I'll post a review from him and you can give it a watch and see if you liek his approach.

Of all reviewers we take note here, Karak is one many pay attention to and take considerable notes on his perspective.

I've followed his channel since he first started in the early days and referred to his channel as "Angry Centaur Gaming" up until now.

Biggest review I've thought was a miss to me from him, was AC Unity, other than that, he's been pretty darn good.

GHG

Gold Member
Ridiculous.

At 1080p no less.

It's 100% clear why certain reviewers (who do deep dives into performance) didn't get review copies, only B-roll allowed and no console reviews allowed.

Lets see what the weekend brings. If I need to refund it on Steam I will, no harm done.

oagboghi2

Seems reviews have been very kind to this game. It could have been "Day's Goned" but it hasn't. Then again exclusives vs. big third party multiplats are not judged the same: Valhalla got a pass too. The shenanigans regarding the console versions is quite intriguing. Shipping an early access game it feels like. For me personally that won't be an issue as I won't buy this game until the next-gen patch is out there and everything settles down (patches etc) - sufficient time, with a sufficient backlog on PS5. Game definitely has good elements to it with the way reviews read. Looking forward to reading what Gaffers have to say.

Alt boys can't cry foul here considering the current review meta.

The culture war is a double sided coin tho.... so not surprised to see SJW circles going after it. Just like alt boys went after TLOU II.
What is with these retarded takes. “Current review meta”? 😂
There is also a lot of mixed reporting about this. Gamestar for example has explicitly stated that the bugs they encountered were mostly minor bugs (animation issues, floating items, AI buggy or the odd T-pose). No game breaking shit that stopped you from finishing a quest or anything. They had two reviewers with the same experience in that regard.

LegacyKilla said in his review that he had only one crash and only one quest that bugged for him which he couldn't finish. Besides that he also said the bugs/glitches were minor.

I wonder why there are so many differences here, or if some people are just exaggerating the minor bugs into something more while other reviewers downplay them.

I personally don't really care about that either way, all games come with bugs. Watch Dogs Legion made consoles overheat and shut down, AC Valhalla is bug ridden, Demon's Souls had game breaking bugs that let you finish the game in 20 minutes, Spider-Man with the rest mode and lamps... even TLOU2 had quite some game breaking bugs.

It becomes a concern when game breaking things aren't fixed quickly, but they usually are hence I can understand why reviewers are typically lenient when it comes to bugs.
no, you are just part of the “cult” apparently.

At 1080p no less.

It's 100% clear why certain reviewers (who do deep dives into performance) didn't get review copies, only B-roll allowed and no console reviews allowed.

Lets see what the weekend brings. If I need to refund it on Steam I will, no harm done.
😂😂😂

people are reaching

Last edited:

Dampf

That is how dark places look to me, so, shrug.
It looks way better without RT or is it just me?
The place is not supposed to be dark. There is daylight coming in, presumably from behind the player in the first, and next to the vending machine in the second comparison through doors or windows.

The Raster-Only GI is not accounting daylight, so the scene appears darker.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Hes a fellow GAFFER Karak Karak and can be found roaming our forum threads every now and then.

But notably, he is considered one of the few least bias game reviewers and his reviews are always more in depth than the large number of outlets.

I'll post a review from him and you can give it a watch and see if you liek his approach.

Of all reviewers we take note here, Karak is one many pay attention to and take considerable notes on his perspective.

I've followed his channel since he first started in the early days and referred to his channel as "Angry Centaur Gaming" up until now.

Biggest review I've thought was a miss to me from him, was AC Unity, other than that, he's been pretty darn good.

I appreciate the thorough response. I will check his channel out. I would like a non biased reviewer without politics dripping off of every piece of content.

Needed to play on medium to get 60fps on a 2070 :/

R u serious?

If that's the case my 1660ti wouldn't survive this game at all :|

Definitely going to assume that I'll try it out for 2 hours on my PC, and if performance is trash on my rig, I'll refund and uninstall.

GHG

Gold Member
What is with these retarded takes. “Current review meta”? 😂

no, you are just part of the “cult” apparently.

😂😂😂

people are reaching

Reaching how?

Where are the console reviews?

Why couldn't reviewers make videos using their own footage?

Why did certain well-known reviewers not get a copy while people who aren't even reviewers got sent a backpack full of goodies along with a chair?

Say what you want but they have 100% controlled the narrative here. The Steam reviews wont be so kind.

Top Bottom