• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

mcz117chief

Can I play as Kainé in the game? A biological female with both sexual organs?

Men and women tend to have very different tastes. A game that caters to both equally would be lacking in many, many ways for both genders.

Not necessarily, there are plenty of games that have parts that cater to both men and women in them. Japanese games are notorious for this. You got both sexy wifus and husbandos and you get to spend time with both equally in a lot of games.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Sure. But this game is not going to appeal to most female gamers its going to appeal to mostly bros people with more testosterone.

It is also not going to appeal to those who dislike futuristic games, cyberpunk games, first person shooters, or RPGs. So not sure what the point is focusing on "most female gamers" is all about. *Some* female gamers will probably enjoy it. Most? Heck, who knows? Making a blanket statement about a female reviewer and female gamers overall is is a bit too much generalization, don't you think?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I listened to the Giant Bomb Jeff & Jeff conversation about the game, and what I got out of it:
- (a) It's a bugfest (alright, too bad)
- There are issues with the English dub, mostly "that's not how people actually speak" (will go with the German dub anyway, as I'm playing with the wife and she prefers that; let's see how that goes)
- It's for people who want to "experience the world", and in that vein, it's doing great
- (b) There's lots of immature content, like dildos everywhere and shit like that (unneeded and unfortunate)
- Choice tree for solving quest beats is comparable to what Deus Ex Human Revolution did, for example
- The Johnny Silverhand arch is pretty good
- Sidequest quality varies; goes from generic fetch quests to more involved stuff
- Body upgrades seem unneeded
- The game favors stabbing and shooting to get shit done
- (c) Performance is still an open question in the wild

Altogether, that sounds alright! The points that annoy me are (a), (b) and (c), but I'll take it. It seems like their verdict is "not for everyone, but it's an OK game". Sweet.

I read multiple times that that conversation video was perceived as yet another Debbie Downer piece by Giant Bomb; I don't think so though. It seemed honest and to the point. This is the type of game talk I need to form decisions.

I'll pick it up about two weeks after release.

I think the point here is that games are not made for a specific gender and not made to cater to both genders either, games are made for people who like the genre/combat/gameplay etc regardless of what gender they are. Their gender doesn't enter the equation when making the game, or shouldn't, at least.

The idea of making a game for guys or for girls doesn't even make sense anyway, because everyone has different tastes for games within a gender group, as you've demonstrated with the example of your wife.
Simply not true.

Everyone has different tastes on an individualscale, but male and female brains are biologically different, and have broadly, and noticeably different tastes when taken as a whole.

When you're talking about an audience in the millions, patterns of taste and behavior quickly emerge that undeniably skew along gender lines.

That doesn't mean there aren't individuals that buck the trend, but they're an insignificant minority as you scale up your sample size. Basically human gendered behaviour is bimodal, with the vast majority having very uniform tastes, with fewer and fewer deviating away from these norms the more divergent you go.

If you make a game for everyone you have to take away elements that will appeal overwhelmingly to any one specific group, that is overwhelmingly not liked by others.

The easiest example for biological differences between the sexes you should be able to understand is height.

Line a hundred people, 50 men and 50 wen, up from shortest to tallest, and obviously the tallest 50 will be overwhelmingly male and shortest overwhelmingly female. That doesn't mean you can't get tall women and short men, but they're outside the norm.

The same is true for basically all human traits, including the structure of the brain and hormones, which directly influence tastes and preferences.

It's nice to imagine we're all unique individuals entirely governed by free will with limitless possibilities and universally equal and boundless potential, but the sad fact is we're all just apes, and we all have boundaries set by nature we conform to, especially on the macro scale, and gendered behavioral norms are one of those boundaries.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
too many dildos is such a bizarre criticism lmao I cant take that shit seriously
The whole dildos nonsense -- I've lived through lots of dildo-riddled games, like GTAs, Saints Rows, even Second Life. There's nothing funny or edgy about that. It's just in the way. Noone needs that shit. It's unclear how the game designers arrived at the conclusion that that brings anything to the table; I would pose that it doesn't. Yet that stuff still pops up here and there. That's what annoys me.

Like, do the game designers expect me to run around town, beating up hobos with dildos, giggling like an idiot? No. Who does that?

Saruhashi

Banned

That's actually an embarrassment.

There's a whole crafting interface but I only crafted one thing.
I barely upgraded my weapons.
I ignored emergent events and side activities because I didn't want to do them ("what if I don't want to help the cops?").

This is an Open World RPG though. You'd surely want to be engaging with the games systems and exploring them for your review?
Oh I tried the crafting once and ignored the emergent activities and didn't really bother upgrading my weapons.

This is a big problem with game reviewers where they really don't pay attention to genres and end up reviewing a game out of context.

Look, you could have called the people who would give this game a shitty review months ago and I feel like this lady would have been at or near the top of the list of shit reviewers "will produce a shitty review that exposes her shitty attitude more that it competently critiques the game".

There is basically no expectation of competency or basic common sense and it's unfortunate because people DO put a lot of faith in review scores and it can affect a products sales and success.

I think developers who have spent years working on a game at least deserve a fair review.

Developers: "So we've put in all these systems. Crafting, upgrading your weapons, customizing your look, emergent side-quests and events."
Reviewer: "Fuck all that. I didn't try any of it. Couldn't be bothered to be honest. I don't want to help fictional cops in a fictional game. 7 out of 10."

That's unfair, really.

There has to be a middle ground between outright shilling and vindictive negativity.

Kadayi

Banned
Next time she will review a game based solely on scrolling through the meny options and the splash screens...

Posted this in the review comments: -

You honestly should have let the guy who did the 16-hour preview review the game. The whole point of a review is to employ someone who actively engages with the game systems and world so they can offer us the viewer an informed opinion, not someone who seemingly shies away from them at every opportunity. Very disappointing Gamespot. If you genuinely feel it's a 7/10 game that's fine (there are clearly bugs) but you need to justify that score and frankly you're not doing it based on what's been said here. I hope you carry out a major reappraisal of this review once more of you have spent time with the game. This is the equivalent of letting someone review a racing game, who never gets out of first gear.

ChazGW7

The whole dildos nonsense -- I've lived through lots of dildo-riddled games, like GTAs, Saints Rows, even Second Life. There's nothing funny or edgy about that. It's just in the way. Noone needs that shit. It's unclear how the game designers arrived at the conclusion that that brings anything to the table; I would pose that it doesn't. Yet that stuff still pops up here and there. That's what annoys me.

Like, do the game designers expect me to run around town, beating up hobos with dildos, giggling like an idiot? No. Who does that?
Is there an actual dildo weapon though? My assumption was that there are just dildos on display in shops and such. I can understand criticism for making them a weapon - pretty lame. But elsewise, like where they are just in the environment? Doesn't bother me in the slightest personally.

Dunki

maybe because the world is overly sexualized by Corporations. That why ads a sexualized as well. . And I do not even see anyhting bad regarding dildos. If people want to use Dildos they are free to due so. It will probably not fit US Morals but as a German I do not really care.

Simply not true.

Everyone has different tastes on an individualscale, but male and female brains are biologically different, and have broadly, and noticeably different tastes when taken as a whole.

When you're talking about an audience in the millions, patterns of taste and behavior quickly emerge that undeniably skew along gender lines.

That doesn't mean there aren't individuals that buck the trend, but they're an insignificant minority as you scale up your sample size. Basically human gendered behaviour is bimodal, with the vast majority having very uniform tastes, with fewer and fewer deviating away from these norms the more divergent you go.

If you make a game for everyone you have to take away elements that will appeal overwhelmingly to any one specific group, that is overwhelmingly not liked by others.

The easiest example for biological differences between the sexes you should be able to understand is height.

Line a hundred people, 50 men and 50 wen, up from shortest to tallest, and obviously the tallest 50 will be overwhelmingly male and shortest overwhelmingly female. That doesn't mean you can't get tall women and short men, but they're outside the norm.

The same is true for basically all human traits, including the structure of the brain and hormones, which directly influence tastes and preferences.

It's nice to imagine we're all unique individuals entirely governed by free will with limitless possibilities and universally equal and boundless potential, but the sad fact is we're all just apes, and we all have boundaries set by nature we conform to, especially on the macro scale, and gendered behavioral norms are one of those boundaries.

Your response doesn't have any relevance to my statement. I didn't say you make a game for everyone, I said you don't make a game that's designed to target a gender at all. You make a game which is designed for people who like the genre/gameplay you're going for and you don't care what the gender of person who is interested in it is. If it happens that your audience ends up 90% male and 10% female, cool, but it would be ridiculous if a game company sat down and said, we are making a cyberpunk game, and our number one concern is that it is targeted to males.

You make the game that you want to make and the game that you think will be good, not one that is targeted to a specific gender, nor one which tries to specifically attract all genders.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Not exactly certain what version of the game reviewers are playing. This seems to indicate that there are two patches involved at this point. Pre-launch and launch.

YouTuber DreamcastGuy, who has an Xbox copy of Cyberpunk 2077, posted a screenshot to Twitter of the apparent update (see above). Interestingly enough, CD Projekt Red's Fabio Mario Döhla commented on DreamcastGuy's tweet and let everyone know that pre-launch (or "day zero") update is definitely happening. However, Döhla went on to state that it isn't the patch that's been planned for Cyberpunk 2077's launch day.

We don't know what the day zero update brings to the game. IGN reports that, at the very least, you won't have to download two separate patches; the day zero update will likely come with the initial download for the game. In any case, get ready for this year's most anticipated title because Cyberpunk 2077 drops this week for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Google Stadia.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/12/07/cyberpunk-2077-gets-large-pre-launch-patch

Of course, the launch patch is probably in the process of being continually updated to address more of the bugs referenced.

Saruhashi

Banned

Oh no. Someone might have a bit of a laugh during the game!

There's nothing funny about it. To you.

The game designers, I assume, put something like that in the game for a laugh.
If it can easily be ignored then ignore it.
If it makes you giggle then great, have fun.

Gaming is not some somber endeavor where we must sit down in front of our consoles and be serious about things and make sure to look out for things to criticize.

It's OK to just have fun.

aries_71

I'd like to see the little, sad faces of the Neogaf members that were spouting 70-75 meteoritic scores just 24h ago.

Ohhh boy, here's the double ration of raw crow.

aries_71

That's actually an embarrassment.

There's a whole crafting interface but I only crafted one thing.
I barely upgraded my weapons.
I ignored emergent events and side activities because I didn't want to do them ("what if I don't want to help the cops?").

This is an Open World RPG though. You'd surely want to be engaging with the games systems and exploring them for your review?
Oh I tried the crafting once and ignored the emergent activities and didn't really bother upgrading my weapons.

This is a big problem with game reviewers where they really don't pay attention to genres and end up reviewing a game out of context.

Look, you could have called the people who would give this game a shitty review months ago and I feel like this lady would have been at or near the top of the list of shit reviewers "will produce a shitty review that exposes her shitty attitude more that it competently critiques the game".

There is basically no expectation of competency or basic common sense and it's unfortunate because people DO put a lot of faith in review scores and it can affect a products sales and success.

I think developers who have spent years working on a game at least deserve a fair review.

Developers: "So we've put in all these systems. Crafting, upgrading your weapons, customizing your look, emergent side-quests and events."
Reviewer: "Fuck all that. I didn't try any of it. Couldn't be bothered to be honest. I don't want to help fictional cops in a fictional game. 7 out of 10."

That's unfair, really.

There has to be a middle ground between outright shilling and vindictive negativity.
Totally agreed. Even though everybody is entitled to have an opinion, this person lacks professionalism and has no business doing reviews.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Is there an actual dildo weapon though? My assumption was that there are just dildos on display in shops and such. I can understand criticism for making them a weapon - pretty lame. But elsewise, like where they are just in the environment? Doesn't bother me in the slightest personally.
Yeah that wouldn't bother me either.
maybe because the world is overly sexualized by Corporations. That why ads a sexualized as well. . And I do not even see anyhting bad regarding dildos. If people want to use Dildos they are free to due so. It will probably not fit US Morals but as a German I do not really care.
German hi 5

I don't see anything bad regarding dildos as world-building elements either, was just talking about them as clubs because I got that from the conversation.
Still, a high emphasis on them to get that point across -- like, that's not really working as intended for me. There are more interesting ways to convey that. I hope they're doing more with that aspect than just plastering ads, hookers and dildos everywhere and letting you fuck on occasion. Because it just seems lazy. Remains to be seen.

Saruhashi

Banned
Totally agreed. Even though everybody is entitled to have an opinion, this person lacks professionalism and has no business doing reviews.

With stuff like this you can kind of understand why publishers would shy away from giving reviewers codes for their games when they can give the codes to "influencers" and get a better end result.

Why would you want to give a review code to a professional reviewer when there is a chance they will actually not be professional and even openly admit to not playing your game properly while putting a great big dirty "7" or "6" into the review aggregator to bring the perception of the game down.

llien

RT on vs off (first screen is always on):

5cde0457-f3ca-5fef-a202-07a1e90a8e64
5546291d-4dfa-5029-b0a5-71bf94663084

e8849057-63c2-5de1-8a2c-195430cb9722

29641e93-d26c-542a-97d0-e220344dbe35

39227480-b15b-5f1d-8a2d-1c87e8fdd326

d0b5b0db-b8e0-5489-964c-d313f47d0dca
3bfb403f-3afe-5161-a5e0-0f9ec42dd872
bea35145-eb2f-5a36-8408-d8207be3e78c

source (dtf.ru, in Russian)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, if dildos are random clutter that shows up anywhere then indeed it's immature and destroys the atmosphere, this isn't saints row. But if they're in sex shops, apartments, in bedrooms and drawers and where it makes sense for the person (could be laying about wherever for some too, just not everyone, it's neither the norm nor hygienic) and every person in the world doesn't have the fetish to find the more ridiculous sizes and shapes just laying about everywhere it's fine, obviously. But to even notice enough to comment on them probably means there are way too many around.

Edit: er, why do some of those colored lighting areas completely lose the color with RT on? Is that what they originally intended there? Surely they could put less intense colored lighting to begin with so that the non RT look matches the intent more closely if that's the case? Seriously, what?

Edit again: this just in, by gaf experts (who apparently also think dildos are so dirty) Deus Ex (1) and Blade Runner (1) among other great shit are not good cyberpunk because they don't constantly put dildos in your face, eye sockets, ears, nose, butthole and every other hole you may have!

Last edited:
Your response doesn't have any relevance to my statement. I didn't say you make a game for everyone, I said you don't make a game that's designed to target a gender at all. You make a game which is designed for people who like the genre/gameplay you're going for and you don't care what the gender of person who is interested in it is. If it happens that your audience ends up 90% male and 10% female, cool, but it would be ridiculous if a game company sat down and said, we are making a cyberpunk game, and our number one concern is that it is targeted to males.

You make the game that you want to make and the game that you think will be good, not one that is targeted to a specific gender, nor one which tries to specifically attract all genders.
That's a dumb example.

If your product already has a ratio of 10% females to 90% males, then it oviously already does cater to men's tastes more than women's.

As such, leaning into that existing preference bias, with even more focused content, will create a better product for 90% of your audience, likely more so because the 10% of women you reach must have more masculine tastes as well, to like a product that skews so heavily in favour of a male audience.

Knowing your target audience and catering to it properly will leave you with more satisfied customers, and grow that audience. Trying to appeal to multiple different audiences can work, but more often than not ruins what was the main draw of the product, particularly when trying to mix oil and water like tastes such as with male and female skewing ones.

What's more, there's nothing wrong with focusing on a single audience. Everything does not need to appeal to everyone, and is more often than not better off not trying to.

Last edited:

Dunki

Yeah that wouldn't bother me either.

German hi 5

I don't see anything bad regarding dildos as world-building elements either, was just talking about them as clubs because I got that from the conversation.
Still, a high emphasis on them to get that point across -- like, that's not really working as intended for me. There are more interesting ways to convey that. I hope they're doing more with that aspect than just plastering ads, hookers and dildos everywhere and letting you fuck on occasion. Because it just seems lazy. Remains to be seen.

Hello fellow German.

I do not think there are in for a joke like in Saints Row or Even Yakuza like a Dragon. but rather there are everywhere because of sexual open this world is. I mean you can just transplant a dick and go for it. Bodyculture also means very sexual. But yeah it will be seen how it is presented. I have nothing aginst sexshoops etc all over the place. I just would feel like on the Reeperbahn :p

Ricky_Bee

Banned
Why would you want to give a review code to a professional reviewer when there is a chance they will

It isn’t a chance. You *know* activist reviewers at kotaku and polygon are going to put the boot in to anything they get the impression is even thinking about crossing them.

GenericUser

too many dildos is such a bizarre criticism lmao I cant take that shit seriously
I agree. I'm all for more dildos and other weird shit. It's fucking cyberpunk after all. The world needs to feel dirty and perverted....
People don't seem to get that sex is something that plays a HUGE part in many peoples life and has a very high importance to society in general. So of course, in a world with no morale and where survival of the fittest is the norm, sexual references, images, movies, dildos whatever should be very very visible.

I don't understand how someone could criticize this. What do you want? Teletubby flagship stores?

Last edited:
Not sure why people are dissapointed with bugs when thats not even the day one patch
If you think a single patch is going to fix all of these issues then you haven't been paying attention to AAA games over the past 7 years. Most of these unfinished products takes months and months to have their problems worked out. Cyberpunk will be no different. Finish the game next time before shipping it. Absolutely ridiculous for a game that has been worked on as long as this one has.

That's a dumb example.

If your product already has a ratio of 10% females to 90% males, then it oviously already does cater to men's tastes more than women's.

As such, leaning into that existing preference bias, with even more focused content, will create a better product for 90% of your audience, likely more so because the 10% of women you reach must have more masculine tastes as well, to like a product that skews so heavily in favour of a male audience.

Knowing your target audience and catering to it properly will leave you with more satisfied customers, and grow that audience. Trying to appeal to multiple different audiences can work, but more often than not ruins what was the main draw of the product, particularly when trying to mix oil and water like tastes such as with male and female sewing ones.

What's more, there's nothing wrong with focusing on a single audience.

I didn't say the game in the example doesn't cater to men's taste more than women, I said the creator doesn't SET OUT specifically targeting a gender when they develop their game, they make the game they want to make, the game they think will be great and the gender of the player doesn't enter the equation during the creative process. They also don't lean into the bias during the creative process and say "ok, I'm going to guess 90% of my players will be male, so we should put lots of specifically masculine stuff in there!", I would have serious doubts any credible AAA game director has ever done that. In marketing, that's exactly what you do, but not in the creative process. In the creative process, you put the content in there which you think will make the game the best it can be according to your vision, regardless of what demographics that ends up catering to when all is said and done. The marketing is where you lean into the demographics and target your audience appropriately.

I'm saying that gender doesn't enter the equation in the creative process, not that games are or should trying to appeal to everyone or appeal as broadly as possibly, which is what you seem to think I'm saying, judging by your post.

No, there is nothing wrong with focusing on an audience, but I think you are misunderstanding completely what I'm saying, so I'll leave it at this and we can just agree to disagree.

Ricky_Bee

Banned
If you think a single patch is going to fix all of these issues then you haven't been paying attention to AAA games over the past 7 years. Most of these unfinished products takes months and months to have their problems worked out. Cyberpunk will be no different. Finish the game next time before shipping it. Absolutely ridiculous for a game that has been worked on as long as this one has.

There are limits but... the number of bugs here are related to the ambition of the game. Things like Fallout 3 and Skyrim and this are buggy messes *because* there are so many plates spinning.

It is a choice. Ambition or polish.

Inviusx

Either it was a massive mistake for CDPR to allow reviewers access to a buggy build or they know that patch 1 will not fix most of the issues anyway.

Just seems kinda weird that they would allow 3 straight days of nothing but influencers ragging on the game about bugs and affecting review scores only to magically fix everything after reviews are out.....

German side of Eurogamer has been loving it, says it's a "genre defining game".

Oh and Gerstmann's issues with sound bytes/speech missing? Might be because his PC can't keep up with the streaming.

He's the PR guy, so take it with a grain of salt, but that would explain why some reviewers had less issues with bugs than others.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Gaming is not some somber endeavor where we must sit down in front of our consoles and be serious about things and make sure to look out for things to criticize.

It's OK to just have fun.
Sure it's OK to just have fun, and I'm not looking for stuff to criticize, I'm just saying what I feel: Dildo plastering / dildo clubbing action is eye-roll material. If others have fun with that, I'm not going to piss on their doorsteps.
I do not think there are in for a joke like in Saints Row or Even Yakuza like a Dragon. but rather there are everywhere because of sexual open this world is. I mean you can just transplant a dick and go for it. Bodyculture also means very sexual. But yeah it will be seen how it is presented. I have nothing aginst sexshoops etc all over the place. I just would feel like on the Reeperbahn :p
Reeperbahn is my Kiez, actually. (Or rather was -- too old for this shit.)
But great example. There you are with what I'd expect, and wouldn't go like "alright, here we go again": You've got some sort of district where redlight activities are, and you've got the dildo action concentrated there. That's believable to me.
I agree. I'm all for more dildos and other weird shit. It's fucking cyberpunk after all. The world needs to feel dirty and perverted....
People don't seem to get that sex is something that plays a HUGE part in many peoples life and has a very high importance to society in general. So of course, in a world with no morale and where survival of the fittest is the norm, sexual references, images, movies, dildos whatevery should be very very visible.

I don't understand how someone could criticize this. What do you want? Teletubby flagship stores?
Dildos aren't weird shit. There's nothing dirty or perverted about them. And they don't scream "survival of the fittest + sex" at all. Using them that way is just lazy.

Has nothing to do with what I want, too.

I don't think that's the mountain to die on. Sure you've got the dildos, but not everywhere. That's just ridiculous.

I need some fucking Cyberpunk dildo report. Can't we somehow troll Era to make an in-depth video about dildo overuse in CP77?

II_JumPeR_I

Meh i like that the game isnt super serious. If i want such crap i will play Boredom of Us 2.
I freaking loved the dildo weapon in SR3.

Im playing games to have fun.

Ricky_Bee

Banned
”ok, I'm going to guess 90% of my players will be male, so we should put lots of specifically masculine stuff in there!", I would have serious doubts any credible AAA game director has ever done that.

They used to literally say just that on message boards before Anita and co showed up and made it clear they would destroy the lives of anyone who did.

It’s not a guess either. They *know* who buys and plays their games (again not a guess, they used to say it). And for something like CoD or probably this it is *overwhelmingly*, 95% Male.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
RT on vs off (first screen is always on):
source (dtf.ru, in Russian)

1. in the hallway #1 shot i actually think the RTX Off looks better. RTX ON looks really dull and flat.
2. the biggest difference with RTX ON is of course the reflections from the water on the ground. the sidewalk has some glow from lights but otherwise I prefer RTX OFF again.
3. afterlife bar with RTX ON is significantly better. the glass on the ground and the chrome skin on the woman is the most striking difference. with RTX OFF the scene looks a bit dimmer. i prefer the RTX ON shot.
4. hallway #2 the walls look a bit better than the first hallway shot. the lighting in the umm...dildo shelves look better with RTX Off. so i'd say OFF wins again.

John2290

As soon as the game downloaded (or randomly just at the same time) the timer extended by 13 hours here on ps4, so it went from an unlock at 11-am on the 9th to 12am on the 10th. Guess it's gonna be a cold release night.

They used to literally say just that on message boards before Anita and co showed up and made it clear they would destroy the lives of anyone who did.

It’s not a guess either. They *know* who buys and plays their games. And for something like CoD or probably this it is *overwhelmingly*, 95% Male.

I'm talking about AAA narrative-driven/focused games, not long established, regularly releasing multiplayer shooters or sports games. I'm not sure what the other part of your message is referring to, tbh.

Top Bottom