• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters
Sure. But this game is not going to appeal to most female gamers its going to appeal to mostly bros people with more testosterone.

What am I reading?

hemo memo

Holy shit the gamespot review, now inside that reviewer's brain :

Reminder, an RPG

• Barely ever crafted
  • Almost never changed gear
  • Did not do sidequests because one of them had cops and she does not like cops(?)
  • Ignored quests because she had more important things to do
  • Not interested in combat (ok, but might i reminder, you're a fucking reviewer? This ain't your couch session)
  • Used mantis blades once
  • Did not bother with gun attachments.
  • Did not understand what was in inventory, because she did not have time
  • Guns did not feel like Call of Dooty (duh) early on, because oh i don't know, again, RPG? (Deus Ex for fuck's sake?)
  • A depressing game by design (dystopia?), stuck in 80's style (cyberpunk?), she's disapointed (what did she expects?)
You can't make this shit up. My fucking girlfriend who can barely play Mario Kart even with assists because she sucks so much at videogames would have gotten more content out of this game than this Gamespot reviewer.

What a piece of trash review.

I want to become a food critic by just moving my fork through the plate, then give a bad review of the restaurant because i was not in the mood to try it.

So basically she rushed the game to get the review out and that’s why she scored it low. Very professional Gamespot.

BKNY84

Neo Member

Reminder, an RPG

• Barely ever crafted
  • Did not do sidequests because one of them had cops and she does not like cops(?)
  • Not interested in combat (ok, but might i reminder, you're a fucking reviewer? This ain't your couch session)
  • Guns did not feel like Call of Dooty (duh) early on, because oh i don't know, again, RPG? (Deus Ex for fuck's sake?)
  • A depressing game by design (dystopia?), stuck in 80's style (cyberpunk?), she's disapointed (what did she expects?)
You can't make this shit up. My fucking girlfriend who can barely play Mario Kart even with assists because she sucks so much at videogames would have gotten more content out of this game than this Gamespot reviewer.

I want to become a food critic by just moving my fork through the plate, then give a bad review of the restaurant because i was not in the mood to try it.

Gaming urinalists like her are fake news and a joke.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Sure, but there are definitely women who play games that will be into it as well. Lots of men reviewed Animal Crossing too.

I can't believe I'm really having this conversation lol. :messenger_weary:

Probably, but d00ds get more hyped up for violence and sex than females its easier for men to get into that zone than females. Testosterone. Sometimes its an advantage, sometimes its not. Its obvious the gamespot reviewer chick doesn't like this type of stuff and its not an odd reaction for her to have. 🤷‍♂️

harmny

Banned

Reminder, an RPG

• Barely ever crafted

yeah the video was embarassing. in my opinion you are exaggerating a couple of points but i think the overall thing to say is that is clear she didn't like the game because of political reasons so she didn't even care to explore many systems because at that point she had already decided the game was meh. it didn't help that the game was buggy as hell either.

at this point i'm wondering why they decided she was the best choice for reviewing this game. for the guy that did the 16 hour impression the most impressive thing about the game was the world building and mainly characters/writing but she says characters are offensive and the writing is not saying anything... (?)

she doesn't sound like someone who likes rpgs of this kind

Last edited:

Hugare

Sure. But this game is not going to appeal to most female gamers its going to appeal to mostly bros people with more testosterone.

How old are you, if you dont mind me asking?

C'mon, man

"Edgy" posts like these is the reason this place has a bed rep

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
If you count all the 36 review scores (opencritic) and calculate an avg. score, you get 82% not 91%. To get 91% you need an additional 320+ points, essentially 3x extra more reviews (100%).

Even ignoring the bad scores (6), will only improve the final score by 1%. Have to assume, that not every outlet (36 listed) count toward the final score.

#DRAMAOPENCRITICCANNOTBETRUSTEDSERIOUSLYSTAYAWAYAWAYAWAY!!!!111

12x 100%
4x95%
2x91%
10x90%
1x88%
3x80%
1x78%
1x70%
1x60%
2,964% : 36 = 82%

Edit:

Demon´s Souls Remake (82 counted scores)
7531% : 82 = 91.84% (still no polygon, kotaku, ars technica score given)

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
How old are you, if you dont mind me asking?

C'mon, man

"Edgy" posts like these is the reason this place has a bed rep

You’re just all kinda of dumb-fuck, aren’t you? 4Chan is over there...

?? ok make sure to hook up ur gfs/wives/sisters/moms with cyberpunk 2077 for their birthdays i'm sure they'll appreciate it so much

Last edited:
Good to know the reviews are doing well, but I'm more concerned on what steam reviews or user reviews from Gaffers say when it releases.

To me, what I want to know, is how much space does the game need on PC?

According to steam its 60 gigs, but with the day 1 patch, I'm really not sure if it stays that way or I need up to 100 gigs on my SSD.

Cause I'll need to clear a few things if so o.o

Wait, do you live outside of the western hemisphere?

If so, I would agree with your sentiment.

Most girls around the world would not play this game.

But girls who consider themselves as "gamers" and those that can be counted into that demographic, would more than likely play that Cyberpunk 2066.

Rayderism

Well, despite my distaste for first-person view, I went ahead and bought the game. I just can't resist the futuristic setting, not to mention all the praise it's getting regardless of the bugs/glitches.

My pre-load on PS4 Pro went live about 10 minutes ago and it says 102.417GB.

Hope it runs well enough. I can tolerate low frame rates fairly well and will be playing it in graphics mode for the best looking graphics, but of course I'll check out the frame rate mode once the game unlocks.

I know I'm probably pipe-dreaming, but shouldn't it have less bugs on a console, seeing as how it's fixed hardware? I mean, I know it will have worse framerates and weaker graphics than a PC, and RTX is obviously out the window with a PS4, but PC configurations vary wildly, wouldn't that leave them open to more bugs than a console?

Last edited:

Reminder, an RPG

• Barely ever crafted

One of the dumbess reviewers I have ever seen. Isn't she the same reviewer who came up with the "Too Much Water" meme when reviewing Pokemon third gen remake?

For God sake...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
i swear this guy says the same exact things as Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes

good-bad-ugly.gif

GenericUser

That drama is entertaining to some extend, but it becomes stale by now.

any reviews that tackle the following topics?

- difficulty
- gunplay/melee combat
- console performance
- role-playing capabilities
- gun customisation/crafting/"alchemy" in general?

I'm not in the mood digging through dozens of clickbait pseudo outrage bullshit articles, just to find one that talks about the gameplay in this videogame.

Last edited:

hemo memo

One of the dumbess reviewers I have ever seen. Isn't she the same reviewer who came up with the "Too Much Water" meme when reviewing Pokemon third gen remake?

For God sake...

Yeah same girl. I don’t have a problem with the negative review but the problem is that it is a bad review professionally. From writing to actually understanding the game mechanics.

Last edited:

hemo memo

That drama is entertaining to some extend, but it becomes stale by now.

any reviews that tackle the following topics?

- difficulty
- gunplay/melee combat
- console performance
- role-playing capabilities
- gun customisation/crafting/"alchemy" in general?

I'm not in the mood digging through dozens of clickbait pseudo outrage bullshit articles, just to find one that talks about the gameplay in this videogame.

I’ve never thought I get to say this but IGN review is among the best of them. I’ve been reading Tom impressions even before with the preview.

Reminder, an RPG

• Barely ever crafted

WTF. How can you fairly review a game when you don’t even engage with any of its mechanics or content. What a lousy “reviewer”.

who_me

Reminder, an RPG

• Barely ever crafted

LMAO, what a goddman disservice to the readers and watchers of the review. I'm sorry but it's times like these when there needs to be some competence when reviewing a game

regawdless

Banned
After my experience with Witcher 3, I've decided to play this game 3 months after release. I'm in no hurry, have plenty of other stuff to play.
Great reviews, can't wait to play it with a bunch of mods on PC when more bugs are ironed out.

I wrote, q-u-o-t-e,. " Implants are not "super cheap", as per the lore. "

Cyberpunk 2020:

"While cybernetics are still expensive, they are affordable by most of the middle class to some degree, and even by the poor in some situations. " (source)

I read a similar statement regarding Cyberpunk 2077 in-game cyberware not being cheap, which I can't seem to locate now.
It literally talks about on page 31 of The World of Cyperpunk 2077 book about how easy and cheap it is to acquire body mods. You can walk into a shop off the street and get light modifications like nothing. Modfying your body is as easy as getting a tattoo now. It compares more complex mods to going to the dentist. The point is that its easy and that this should have a profound effect on humanity. So clearly in the "lore" they are pretty cheap. You mistakenly only read that as cheap as simply money wise. Well per the lore they are and also if you read deeper which I feel you have a problem doing, cheap as in " widely available and easy". Country wide travel is pretty cheap today and has had a huge effect on life, even if cars or plane tickets can be expensive. It's still available to many people. Thats the point.

The point is which of the two worldviews reflects reality more closely? A rational person will always choose the worldview that comports with reality. My claim is the view I happen to endorse better reflects reality than her flawed model and, as such, she should relinquish it.

If she's not a rational person, though, the entire conversation is meaningless. There's no conversation to be had.
This is a pretty aragant remark to make. I don't think you get to say your opinion is better than anyone else or someone should drop thier opinion because it dosen't agree with yours. That's pretty childish and shows a lack of understanding in how opinions and reviews work.

Can you provide an example of the alleged mockery going on?
I'm not the reviewer dude. My point is that reviewer has every right to say what she "feels". Yes feels, because that's what a review is. It's someone giving thier feelings based on a work. They can bring whatever background, experince, worldview, or whatever to that review. That dosen't make it less valid. You are trying to mis-frame this as some rational vs irrational argument on a subjective thing, except for you the only rational logic is yours. But that's flawed because your logic is "well I don't think that exists so it dosen't". You're using awful fan logic here where "well the work doesn't have that, so if you're reading that into it you're wrong". Which is extremely dumb and also irrational.

You are trying to frame anyone who reads things you disagree with as "forcing thier view unto something", complete with logcail fallacies such as "well make your own work" or "well this is'nt your work, it's the creators how dare you tell them to do that". You are being intelecually dishonest and showing a complete lack of understand all while trying to say your view is the only correct one. That's not rational, that's insane. You actaully don't want a review. You don't want anyones thoughts on the matter.

She literally puts the primary example in the review. The mix-it up drink and ad. To which she recognizes the point is to show how possibly messed up the society has become sex-wise. Her point being that sense the game just drops things like that without ever dealing with it, it uses trans imagry as simpley and asthetic with no nuance. That botherd her. It dosen't borhter me, I've always thought that was a lame critizism sense this 80s cyperpunk atmosphere is based on the crass over-sexualised ads of the 80s and the point is how worse society has gotten. While I'm sure her viewpoint is that in 2020 we now are more aware of the trans experince and what it's like, it makes less sense to have something that seemingly cheapens the idea of changing genders. That's me assuming and not something I agree with because I'm not trans and have no perspective on trans issues. But you telling someone they are wrong because this is based on feelings is highly dumb as if your own views are not based on your own persepective. Which you can try and sugar coat as being based on logic and being rational, by not letting your feelings effect the creative vision. But in reality it's just your feelings or pespetive to not care about those other things. That's it, you're not so high and mighty.

Because that's hardly a defense. Ok so the creator did'nt intend that. It correctly reflects the tone and atmosphere of the work. And? That dosen't mean someone is'nt allowed to voice that they still think it's in poor taste or effected thier enjoyment.

"Oh not everything has to be everyone"

Ok, well now thanks to the review mentioning it a person who has that perspective can not make a more informed choice and skip this game if it bothers them. Or they can think about what it means to them as well.

Give me a concrete example of an idea, theme or message you'd like Cyberpunk 2077 to convey.
I like it when cyperpunk stories talk about the nature of being human and what that means even if you have no body. I like it when cyperpunk stories talk about how society adopts to crazy internet technology. I also like it when they have crazy baddass characters and sights.

But I know you are trying to frame this as "You want them to make it to pander to you" which is dumb. I mean lets be honest, you are defending it because you think it panders to you. But no I'm not looking for the work to pander to me, I'll take the work and see if it vibes with what I like and go from there. Then I'll give my own review, which is excactly what the Gamespot reviewer did. Maybe you don't agree with her perspective. Ok and? The issues with Trans stuff has lame to her and worthy of taking a few points. That's it, you don't like it, tough.

And here we get to the bottom of the problem.

You apparently "feel" all points of view are valid.

Not true. Invalid points of view exist.

You apparently think as long as someone genuinely feels something that validates their point of view.

It doesn't. People can be genuinely wrong, even though they feel in their heart of hearts they're right. That's where rationality comes into play.
Except.....we are talking about reviews on media which are based on feelings and ones own point of view. You're being pretty disingenuous ere by trying to frame this as "oh well since you are accepting of this persons feelings you must be accepting of everyone's feelings, so if she said something completely stupid like the game is actually some anti-Christ conspiracy I guess you'd take that".

Ok well nuance I guess lost here, but you and I know that's not what's being said. There is nothing out there about the persons review. You simply just don't like the perspective she brings and it upsets you for whatever reason.

No, you can look at it as a piece of dystopian fiction set in the year 2077, based on Mike Pondsmith's take on the cyberpunk genre.
Except it's being made now.

Like you're logic eventually leads to a problem where nothing is allowed to ever be talked about because you can always use a lame argument. Cyperpunk 2077 is based on a genre and a work with roots from a diffrent time, so of course it will have some reflections of that, but it's not presenting it self as a historical document. It's not presenting itself as being really reflective of the problems of that era. And if it is, then someone can argue that it dos a bad job or that it shows itself as being really dated in 2020. Hell, just looking at how the World Book describes and satires police, it's pretty obvious it's commenting an American police issues from the 90s and now. So it may have some commentary and todays culture. But I guess according to you we shouldn't use a modern lens to look at that. But that dosen't even make sense as humans will always look and reflect on works with modern lens for good and bad.

The game is not trying to endorse a certain kind of society. When the game depicts, hypothetically speaking, racism it is not endorsing racism. If the game has a stereotypical Latino character, the game is not making the claim Latinos are like that. And so on and so forth.

How about that?
But that's the argument. The reviewer thinks otherwise. She thinks that since it leaves certain ethnicities at the stereotypes and offers up no alternatives it dumbs them down to those stereotypes. Is she right? Is that a problem even? I don't know, but those are questions that can be asked. Personally I don't think its a problem as I've personally seen this game as a send-up to Cyberpunk troupes and culture. So it using certain styles and troupes and leaving them at the door is fine to me as it's trying to create and replicate that atmosphere. If someone disagress well I have no problem with them talking about that.

You are judging fiction as though it were an endorsement.
A film about rape is not an endorsement of rape. A game, supposedly, about shallow people doing shallow things is not a claim about real-life people.
I'm not judging anything. I haven't played the game. I'm saying if someone has a certain reading of a work, thats fine. I guess I have to say a reading within reason.

Again, provide an example of what you want "your" fiction to say.
Like quite honestly this is bullshit how you try to frame this. If something is'nt to my liking then I can dislike it, regardless what you think. That's it. I'm not telling you you can't like it or that the creator had to make it this way. Just that i think they were wrong or maybe something offended me and I think the work is bad because of it. You want to frame disagreements like that, but at the sometime are not self-aware when it comes to comments like "I have the correct reality". Please.

Maybe you should write "your" dystopian fiction, in order to make sure it says what you want it to say.
Basicly, people are never allowed to disagree with a work....if you like it.

This from someone who seems to think all points of view are valid.
Yeah I'm an actual adult, so I can handle people's opinions.

I want a competent non-fallacious review.
No what you want is something that aggress with you. What you probably want is no one to mention woke things. What you want is someone to not bring up issues you don't agree with or care about. You don't want a review.

It's nothing short of bonkers you would think "the LGBTQ community" would have a consensual or even unanimous opinion on anything. Millions and millions and millions of people, different people, different backgrounds, different political affiliations, different worldviews, different philosophies, cultures, etc., all conveniently holding the exact same opinion for to you reproduce here.

Complete bonkers.
It's pretty bonkers that you are trying to pull a lame "you are actually the bad person" card when I simply said I don't speak for any gay person and I'm not gay so I don't have that perspective on that work.

Again, I eagerly wait you providing an example of a theme or a message you'd like Cyberpunk 2077 to convey.
I don't even know what your point is. You are trying to frame this as someone forcing thier view on a work when that did'nt happen anywhere. I have no interests in continuing to argue with someone so childish.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
we are talking about reviews on media which are based on feelings and ones own point of view.
That so much of review culture these days is this subjective diary type stuff is one of the main turn offs for me tbh. Often it feels like they don’t even bother trying to meet the game half way.

Feelings and one’s point of view will certainly come into it no matter what but imo a good critic would look at the media of its peers, it would look at the genre, the history of the company, etc. with a sense of objectivity. Too many reviewers these days throw that out the window and just use games to talk about their own personal pet issue. Good for serving themselves but bad for serving the community.

When I see a critic who refuses to engage in RPG elements in an RPG game then her bona fides come into question. If she doesn’t want to put in the bare minimum effort why should I listen to anything she has to say? Just because she has a job writing about games does not make her qualified. If I want an opinion on metal music I will not ask a classical music fan who will just complain to me about how loud it is. I will listen to someone who has a working knowledge of metal. Someone who likes it.

Just because someone is a critic doesn’t make them worth listening to.

Last edited:

Shmunter

So you just looked at the score for PCGamer and assumed it was "ideologically skewed?" Do a word search for "trans" on PCGamer and see how often it comes up. The Gamespot review has exactly one paragraph related to MIXITUP and representation in general and it comes well within the review and isn't particularly unfair.

. . .fine to criticize reviews that are reviewing ideology and not the game but at least focus on those that are and not just kneejerking it.
Not that simple. If ideology rues your life like a religion.....

images

hemo memo

Holy shit,IGN Japan review

2012年にCD PROJEKT REDが『サイバーパンク2077』を発表したときのインターネットは、まだ、いまよりは明るい場所だった。YouTubeは収益化に着手しておらず、Twitterは子供のけんかの場ではなく、Twitchは存在すらしていなかった。だから8年前の「サイバーパンク」という言葉の響きは、どちらかというと温故知新なもの、80年代に流行したあのムーブメントを懐かしむ感じをもっていた。当時はまだ無人ドローンによる爆撃も、暗号通貨のやりとりも、SNS上の話者による分断の扇動も行われていなかった。は爆発していないし、マリヤ・タケウチの楽曲群は情報の海の底で眠っているし、TSMC(台湾の半導体メーカー)の時価総額はいまの5分の一以下で、『ブレードランナー 2049』は発表すらされていなかった。

しかし私たちは、あの当時から8年を経て、私たちのサイバー空間、そして物理空間の文化的背景が急激に変化したことを知っている。人と人との繋がりの有り様がここまで変わってしまった今日の日に、未来の資本主義経済や社会の姿を示唆する本作が、こんにちの芸術のうちもっともデジタルなメディアムであるビデオゲームで発表されたことの意義は、あまりにも大きい。そして作品が訴えかけたメッセージが、明示的でもなく単一でもない、渋味のある、複雑な、複数な、豊かな人間味を湛えたものであったことは、なお喜ばしい。

50年前のあの日、ジョニーがアラサカタワーを核爆弾で吹っ飛ばしてもなにも変わらなかったように、あるひとつの革命によってそれまでの問題がすべて解決される、などということは起こりえない。そう、ナイトシティと同じか、あるいはそれ以上に複雑なこの世界を泳ぎ切るには、Vやジョニーがおずおずと、時に傷つけ合いながらそうしたように、他人との覚束ない共同作業のなかで、協力しながら、何とかやっていくほかないのだ。そして、そうしたときに助けになるのは、世界そのものへの尽きぬ興味――この作品が再燃させてくれた、好奇心の熾火にほかならないのだ。

Deepl translate

When CD PROJEKT RED released Cyberpunk 2077 in 2012, the Internet was still a brighter place than it is today: YouTube hadn't even started to monetize, Twitter wasn't a place for kids to fight, and Twitch didn't even exist. So eight years ago, the word "cyberpunk" sounded rather warm and fuzzy, a nostalgic nod to that movement that was so popular in the '80s. Back then, there were still no unmanned drone strikes, no cryptocurrency exchanges, no incitement to division by speakers on social networking sites, and the term "cyberpunk The first Blade Runner 2049 hadn't exploded, Mariya Takeuchi's songs were sleeping at the bottom of a sea of information, TSMC's (a Taiwanese semiconductor manufacturer) market capitalization was less than a fifth of what it is today, and Blade Runner 2049 hadn't even been announced.

But we know that in the eight years that have passed since then, the cultural context of our cyber and physical spaces has changed rapidly. In a day when the nature of human connections has changed so much, the significance of this work, which hints at the future of capitalist economy and society, is too great to be presented in the most digital medium of today's art: video games. And it is even more gratifying that the message it conveys is neither explicit nor singular, but austere, complex, plural, and richly human.

Just as fifty years ago, when Johnny blew up the Alazaka Tower with a nuclear bomb on that day and nothing changed, it is unlikely that a revolution will solve all the problems of the past. Yes, the only way to navigate this world, which is as complex as, or even more complex than, Night City, is to work together, in the same way that V and Johnny did, sometimes unwillingly and sometimes hurtfully, in a precarious collaboration with others. And it helps to have an insatiable interest in the world itself - a spark of curiosity that the film has rekindled.

Wow.. IGN Japan

tenor.gif

Top Bottom