• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyborg Cast for Man of Steel Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Cyborg cool now or something? He was in the New 52 JLA, he was featured in Injustice... I don't think I remember him being a big character in the DC universe a few years ago (or before the big reboot at least).

Not having an origin for Wonder Woman would be ridiculous. She is already playing second fiddle to Superman and Batman in her first time in a live action movie. Not having an origin for her in the movie would marginalize her even more than she is already.

I don't know if there's room for a full-on origin story, but if she's appearing in costume, her backstory really does need to be explained in some fashion. Even if it's just a flashback montage or an expository speech.

Is Cyborg cool now or something? He was in the New 52 JLA, he was featured in Injustice... I don't think I remember him being a big character in the DC universe a few years ago (or before the big reboot at least).
They have been pushing him hard since right before the New 52 reboot.
Before he was just a Teen Titan really

G-Fex

I'm not sure how I feel about Cyborg.

Not sure if I like him. Only exposure to him for me has been Smallville.

Ashhong

I always thought it was weird that the first movie in a superhero series can get away with a very simple, one-villain cast (or in this case, one hero). Then the sequels have to escalate that, can't just have one villain! Name a superhero sequel that kept it super simple, I know there's got to be one.

Wasn't Spider-Man 2 just doc oc?

You need Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, The Flash, and Green Lantern before anyone else.

How are they announcing Cyborg already?

But again, they're following an obvious format that makes a lot of sense for DC. If Justice League comes after BvS, what do you think comes next? What do you do with all those superheroes that starred in such a mega blockbuster?

Maybe various solo and/or team films, maybe just Justice League 2, we'll see.

If WB was so shook by Green Lantern, we'd just be getting World's Finest movies and that's it. You wouldn't hear shit about Cyborg or a potential Justice League.

My argument is that WB doesn't think superhero IP other than the World's Finest are a sufficient box-office draw to carry films, not that they see said IP as actively repelling audiences.

BadAss2961

What? How? Superheroes can be effective without you knowing their origin first. It happens all the time. Chances are there are superheroes YOU like that you started liking from a place in their timeline that wasn't their beginning.
Batman '89 pretty much skipped the origin and I prefer it to Begins.

Teen Titans.

Omega

Banned
Okay let's be clear here. Yes, there are comic readers that totally just follow writers and artists and applaud those people. There are also comic fans that don't give a shit about that, only follow certain characters and companies and don't give a shit who writes or draws the things.

Both groups exists. It's not a fabrication to look at either one for the sake of an argument.

He tried to single out superhero fans as if only they're guilty of this.

Aside from books, I don't think the average consumer gives a shit who makes the movies/games/tv shows.

There are people that bought the Walking Dead: Survival Instinct because "it's the guys that made CoD making a Walking Dead game!"

Shaanyboi

Banned
You need Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, The Flash, and Green Lantern before anyone else.

We don't know that it's full-on Cyborg and not just Victor Stone, suggesting the character's existence.

There's no reason Martian Manhunter has to be part of the team.

There's no reason Flash or Green Lantern can't appear first in Justice League (or in Flash's case, be the same character from the TV show)

BadAss2961

Maybe various solo and/or team films, maybe just Justice League 2, we'll see.

My argument is that WB doesn't think superhero IP other than the World's Finest are a sufficient box-office draw to carry films, not that they see said IP as actively repelling audiences.
But how do you know this? They're two movies into the universe.

Give it a chance to breathe.

Shaanyboi

Banned
you forgot MJ

1355766806036.jpg

Could even be a post credits scene for all we know

I think throughout the movie there will be one-scene cameos for the ones that will appear in Justice League (so Cyborg, Flash, Green Lantern, and maybe Aquaman or Martian Manhunter) just so we know what's coming and who will be in it. Since WB didn't make the Cyborg announcement and aren't commenting on it I'm guessing they didn't want this to be revealed since the cameos would have been a surprise

ReiGun

They have so many more qualified and interesting black characters, but totally a discussion for a different day
Like I said, Static or Vixen would have been better choices. There's also Mr. Terrific, Black Lightning (or one of his daughters), Steel, or Firestorm (well...half of Firestorm).

He tried to single out superhero fans as if only they're guilty of this.

Aside from books, I don't think the average consumer gives a shit who makes the movies/games/tv shows.

There are people that bought the Walking Dead: Survival Instinct because "it's the guys that made CoD making a Walking Dead game!"
We're talking about superhero comics in a thread about a superhero movie. It's not so much "singling out" as it's "staying on topic."

Didn't stop them from doing Superman's again.
Batman's has been shown/coverd in games, multiple cartoon series and covered briefly and extensively in at least 2 movies in the last 20 years(Begins only 9 years ago).

Superman had 1 cartoon in the 90's, Smallville which wasn't a big deal and Returns which underperformed.

But how do you know this? They're two movies into the universe.

Give it a chance to breathe.

I don't know this for a fact, obviously; we just clearly disagree on how much benefit of the doubt WB has earned here.

The NYT reported in their Kevin Tsujihara profile that there are more DCU film announcements planned soon, so we should know more by SDCC. Could just be Superman/Batman's actual title and confirmation of a JL sequel, could be something much more ambitious. We'll see.

I don't know this for a fact, obviously; we just clearly disagree on how much benefit of the doubt WB has earned here.

The NYT reported in their Kevin Tsujihara profile that there are more DCU film announcements planned soon, so we should know more by SDCC. Could just be Superman/Batman's actual title and confirmation of a JL sequel, could be something much more ambitious. We'll see.

Probably an update on Flash it was talked about for 2016 but its been silent since Batman/Superman got pushed into 2016 as well.

Actually, with the way this movie is shaping up, I could see it as a very loose adaptation of Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, with Batman starting out on Lex's side rather than sticking with Clark throughout the whole movie. Using that mold, they could fit all the heroes and villains they want in a cameo capacity without overloading the film.

Liamario

Banned
I think all these sub characters just show warner bros lack of confidence in them. They should have made movies of them first. Instead they're just forcing them in there and not treating the characters nor the audience with the respect they deserve.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I think all these sub characters just show warner bros lack of confidence in them. They should have made movies of them first. Instead they're just forcing them in there and not treating the characters nor the audience with the respect they deserve.

Wonder Woman, sure. But we don't know how she'll be used in this movie, and Gal Gadot is atleast contracted for a solo movie.

But Cyborg? Dude sounds like he's a cameo appearance at most just to set him up for future movies (it's even suggested so by the press release), and it's not like he even has his own book. Why would he get his own movie?

BadAss2961

Like I said, Static or Vixen would have been better choices. There's also Mr. Terrific, Black Lightning (or one of his daughters), Steel, or Firestorm (well...half of Firestorm).
Nah... Cyborg's the best and most relevant fit. He can also translate to film well.

Cyborg probably rules out John Stewart -- you know how it goes... Especially if J'onn ends up in this universe... And then there's The Rock who's part black.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
They're gonna pull a reversed Avengers; first the assembled movie, and then everyone gets a solo-movie; Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Cyborg, Nightwing, Joker, Lex Luthor, Croc, Zod, Aquaman, Deathstroke, Deadshot, Bronze Tiger, Batman Beyond, Flash... EVERYONE.

except Wonder Woman, because it's too over the top for a mainstream audience

I want to see a Static Shock live action movie so bad.

I'd like for his show to come back too. It was quite good, and actually part of the DCAU as well. I'd just like the DCAU to come back.

As for Cyborg and the Superman Batman movie. I'll concede that there have been ensemble movies done well before. I just wish that they'd be confident to give these other DC heroes their chance to shine in stand alone movies away from Superman and Batman.

He's been a focus character. He's a non-white character who doesn't borrow his legacy from a pre-existing character, had some decent visibility from the Teen Titans cartoon, has powers that fill a unique niche in the JLA, and most importantly, he's one of Geoff Johns' favorites.

LaNaranja

The Hulk killed some soldiers and he broke Harlem but its okay cuz he killed some aliens too!

I am pretty sure he mentions trying to kill himself and feeling super guilty which is why he focused on helping people.

I hope we see some of that in World's Finest with Superman. He has to be feeling some sort of guilt after making Metropolis look like it was hit by a 10.0 earthquake.

I am pretty sure he mentions trying to kill himself and feeling super guilty which is why he focused on helping people.

I hope we see some of that in World's Finest with Superman. He has to be feeling some sort of guilt after making Metropolis look like it was hit by a 10.0 earthquake.

that wasn't him, it was the world engine. And it was a great way to show a legitimate alien threat, not that weak sauce that Avengers showed.

Pop

Well Cyborg was hinted in Man of Steel. I suppose he's already in Metropolis.

Is there an innovative way to do this? So far, all the suggestions for what WB should be doing boil down to "do what Marvel did."
I suppose. I just think it's funny when studios/company's see something take off and just make clones trying to profit from it's success, most of the time they come of as bad and cheap. (think COD in the gaming industry)

Oh well I'll still end up seeing it.

monome

What's his power?

Hybrid human-machine.

Gadgets + weapons + AI + superstrength

I have no idea how this movie is not going to break under its own weight.

The curse of Superman. Greatest super-hero who can hardly get great stories to appear in.

Fantastic news. Vic has been getting a great and well deserved push since the New52 as a full Justice League member.

Heck this latest issue was stellar and showed him as a backup to no one!

This movie is certainly shaping up well as far as world building.

Also great to see a hero of color without the embarrassing race swapping other films use.

I'd like to see her but I could definitely see WB not using her, especially after Falcon in Cap 2.

That would be one of the weakest reasons ever to not use a character.

She needs to make an appearance, if only to introduce the Thanagarians, who will go on to become the first big threat of a proper Justice League movie.

I actually think bringing Batman into the shared universe by putting him against Supes isn't such a bad idea. The question is just how people will react to "new" characters like WW and Cyborg. And whether the transition from the Nolenverse works as seamlessly as they hope.

Slayven

Don't know why folks want Hawk folks out of all the legit alien threats in the JLA history. Even in comics they Thanagar could only get into a fight with Rann, who's biggest tech achievement was a teleporter that only worked every other Tuesday.

Don't know why folks want Hawk folks out of all the legit alien threats in the JLA history. Even in comics they Thanagar could only get into a fight with Rann, who's biggest tech achievement was a teleporter that only worked every other Tuesday.

It'd make for an good first movie threat. Obviously they'd move onto much bigger threats in the sequels, but they'd want to start out small(ish) at the beginning as the movie would be partly about them coming together as the Justice League to defeat the Thans.

What? How? Superheroes can be effective without you knowing their origin first. It happens all the time. Chances are there are superheroes YOU like that you started liking from a place in their timeline that wasn't their beginning.

Just because the superhero was effective does not mean they do not deserve an origin. I can understand Batman and Cyborg not getting an origin but, Wonder woman has not been seen in anything live action since the 70's and that does not include the failed tv pilot. Huntress and Black Canary both in the last 14 years had at least two incarnations of their characters in live action. Wonder Woman has not been seen in live action in 35 years whether it be movie or tv show.

How does not being shown her origin story marginalize her in any way? Her characterization and actions will do that, not whether or not you get a flashback to how WONDER WOMAN BEGINS.

She is already being marginalized by being in the movie in the first place. Her characterizations and actions mean nothing in this context. Batman and Superman are the stars in the film. They did not get people hyped by announcing Superman, Batman and Wonder woman are in the film together they announced a Superman/Batman film. Her not having an origin and just dropping her in the film is treating Wonder Woman like she is Black Widow in the Avengers.

This is awesome.

Every news for this movie gets me more excited. Ben Affleck, Michael Cera, Wonder Woman and now Cyborg. Nothing is going to make me miss this incoming trainwreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom