• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D&D Age: 4.0 Is Coming - Official Thread of Nerdom and Mother's Basements

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
sk3tch said:
As a first time DM do you guys think Keep on the Shadowfell is a good one to start on?
I wouldn't bother. Instead, use the little mini-adventure at the end of the DMG. That should be enough to jumpstart you.

shoplifter

There is that, I had forgotten. Still, KotSF should last them for several sessions, so it'd give him time to homebrew some things while running that. I'd assume what's in the DMG is only enough for a session?

If 3rd parties were able to have material out this week, I'd be recommending the free adventure from Necromancer Games.

Piscopink said:
I played a druid back in the AD&D days.

Now in every MMO/fantasy video game I play the class I choose is druid. It seems they are a no-show in 4.0, which is pretty sad.

I guess they died and went to Concordant Opposition.

Replace "druids" with "gnomes" and you've got my situation.

In your case, I imagine that druids are handled somehow with this new prestige class system that folks are talking about. Cleric or Ranger goes Druid later maybe?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
platypotamus said:
Replace "druids" with "gnomes" and you've got my situation.

In your case, I imagine that druids are handled somehow with this new prestige class system that folks are talking about. Cleric or Ranger goes Druid later maybe?
Gnomes are playable; their listing is in the Monster Manual, along with a bunch of other races.

While I was planning on doing some DMing anyway with an epic gnome-based campaign to make up for their lack of playability...

awesome.

shoplifter

Then think of them as rules expansions.

\/\/\/\/ Yeah, I have no doubt that'll be a fine product. Ari does good work and Clark and Bill won't put out garbage.

Vagabundo

Druids, gnomes, bards, barbarians are all being released in a necromancer product in Oct, Advanced players handbook or something.

Mouseferatu from enworld was the freelancer who designed it, it should fill in any holes for people looking to play those races.

Vagabundo

sk3tch said:
As a first time DM do you guys think Keep on the Shadowfell is a good one to start on?

Having DMined DND for a long long time I think KotS may be a little overwhelming for a first time DM. There can be a lot for the DM to keep track of in 4e and that is without trying to tell a story and keep things flowing.

I'd wait for the DMG to be released and start small with a few combat encounters and a basic story. There is a basic adventure in the DMG.

shoplifter

Nothing 'gives' access. Until they get everything up and running in a few months, DDI is going to be free to everyone (or at a reduced price).

Gattsu25

Banned
shoplifter said:
Nothing 'gives' access. Until they get everything up and running in a few months, DDI is going to be free to everyone (or at a reduced price).
Really? Now that's something I flat out never considered.

justchris

shoplifter said:
It's completely sensical if you take a world where magic is common to its logical conclusion. I'd say it's much more reasonable to have everburning torches lining streets, trains powered by magic, and all the rest of it than having Wizards just hole themselves up and never use any of their magic for the public good. It's really a case of "building the world around the rules" rather than "building the rules around the world".

With the huge number of wizards in FR one would think they'd have developed at least some of that stuff instead of filling out forms in triplicate in Elminster's tower.

I'll give you that maybe you don't like the feel of Eberron, but it *does* have an internal consistency that most other D&D settings don't, mostly because they're shoehorned into the d&d rules or built small and then bloated like FR.

No, I wasn't talking about that. The basic premise of Eberron makes sense, yes, and the Warforged are great, but if you look at a lot of the city and world designs in the Eberron settings books, there are a lot of things that don't make any sense, and other high magic constructions that are effectively useless.

The idea of Eberron is great, the excution is what I have a problem with.

Of course, it may just be a problem in some of the Eberron adventure books.

shoplifter

^^^ Ah cool, I haven't read the modules. Sharn makes sense to me, at least in the 'well this is why it's built UP and not OUT' way. I don't recall reading anything that really made me scratch my head, but it's certainly possible I missed it.

Schema sort of had me at first, but I eventually warmed up to them.

justchris

shoplifter said:
^^^ Ah cool, I haven't read the modules. Sharn makes sense to me, at least in the 'well this is why it's built UP and not OUT' way. I don't recall reading anything that really made me scratch my head, but it's certainly possible I missed it.

Schema sort of had me at first, but I eventually warmed up to them.

It's a lot of things that don't make sense, and kind of make the whole thing fall apart. I'd like to see the setting redone more coherently with 4th ed rules.

I haven't gotten to the DMG yet, still reading through the PH, but I like what I see so far. I like that Paragon Paths don't take away from leveling your base class the way Prestige Classes often did.

Gattsu25

Banned
5lnuy0.jpg

Wow!

The "Daily Art Preview" has some spectacular creature designs

Vagabundo

sorryaboutdresden said:
The art in the monster manuel is phenomenal

The art in general is very good, the new layout is a blessing. I'm very happy with it. :D

Dragona Akehi said:
I really wish there were people to play with here. I miss D&D.

THAC0 :(

There is DND insider; it should allow you to play paper DND online. But I'd probably let it mature a little, the alpha/beta will open with the books this weekend. I'd guess close to Christmas it will be usable and bug free.

elbkhm said:
Well, sure, all 30 levels are in the book. But to my knowledge, your character _has_ to take a paragon path/epic destiny at levels 10 and 20, and there is of course a limited selection of these in the core books. Further, they seem pretty specific, and are roughly equivalent to prestige classes from 3.0/3.5.

You dont have to take a Paragon path at 11, you can multiclass if you like.

The epic desinties are suppose to be exits from the game, story ending stuff and are vague enough that you could reuse the ones included for many character without it feeling the same.

However, if you were doing a lot of adventuring at the 20+ level you would probably want to get some of the extra splat books. I'm happy with the content per tier ratios in the book, probably 3/2/1 for heroic/paragon/epic.

bigswords

Hmmm Human's get lesser stat point then the other races :( (Previously when there was an addition to a stat , there's a minus to another one to balance stats).

Of course extra feats are awesome as usual.

Vagabundo

EviLore said:
I don't play P&P D&D, but I'm always interested in the PC RPG implications when a new edition hits. Unfortunately, I'm not sure who would even make a 4E game. I doubt Bioware has any interest, Obsidian is full on projects right now, and Troika is dead.

I believe there is already something in the works, I'll have to do a little digging to find it.

I believe the brand manager Scott Rouse has had some meetings with an unnamed dev house about the game, I think FR was mentioned.

From a business perspective they really arn't leveraging DND brand enough. They need to be pushing content to all the console/PC platforms and using it as a advertisement for the PNP books. The games (computer and PNP) should feed off of each other.

Vagabundo

bigswords said:
Hmmm Human's get lesser stat point then the other races :( (Previously when there was an addition to a stat , there's a minus to another one to balance stats).

Of course extra feats are awesome as usual.

Humans get flexibility:

Code:
Ability Scores: +2 to one ability score of your choice
Languages: Common, choice of one other
Bonus At-Will Power from your class.
Bonus Feat: You gain a bonus feat at 1st level. 
Bonus Skill: You gain training in one additional skill from your class skill list.
Human Defense Bonuses: +1 to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will defenses.

I think it is pretty cool, although because of the way abilities are generated the +2 to any stat doesn't give much additional flexibility.

Even using the standard array I dont think human will be behind the curve too much, there are more stat boosts in 4e (like at 11 you get a +1 to all your stats).

Vagabundo

Teknopathetic said:
Good, good. Supposedly the D&D insider beta should be starting this week too. A sneak peek at some of the rules perhaps before everyone can get their hands on the books?

Unfortunately some doorknob in the publishing house released a torrent of the books online, so tons of people no have the full rules.

I really doubt that it will affect purchases, if your going to game PNP you need the paper, who is going to to print out a 1000 pages of rules (3 books!!).

sk3tch

Vagabundo said:
Unfortunately some doorknob in the publishing house released a torrent of the books online, so tons of people no have the full rules.

I really doubt that it will affect purchases, if your going to game PNP you need the paper, who is going to to print out a 1000 pages of rules (3 books!!).

Exactly. I highly doubt there will be much affect on sales. About the only thing I could see would be people bringing their laptops to the table or something. So they'd sit there and access the rules on their laptop as everyone else games pen & paper. :lol

I look at it positively...in that it will create buzz (people "previewing" the content online can see just how well-done the 4th ed. books are) and supplement those that end up buying the physical books (I, for one, would love to have a searchable online version of the books along with my hardcopies).

Vagabundo

sk3tch said:
Exactly. I highly doubt there will be much affect on sales. About the only thing I could see would be people bringing their laptops to the table or something. So they'd sit there and access the rules on their laptop as everyone else games pen & paper. :lol

I look at it positively...in that it will create buzz (people "previewing" the content online can see just how well-done the 4th ed. books are) and supplement those that end up buying the physical books (I, for one, would love to have a searchable online version of the books along with my hardcopies).

Well wizards are hoping to end-run this issue, if you subscribe to DDI you get access to a searchable rules database, it contents everything they have published on 4e (all splat books and online stuff).

You could run a game from a laptop like you mentioned and never buy any of the books. Still, personally, I want the books, I don't like laptops at the game table.

Endnote: I have seen some members on Enworld who have ordered after downloading the leaked PDFs, they were still on the fence about it.

I took a look at the PDFs (I already ordered the set) and really, it just makes me want the books more now. Hope amazon ships them with some semblance of rapidity, so I have them in hand before the middle of next week.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dragona Akehi said:
I really wish there were people to play with here. I miss D&D.

THAC0 :(
Was there ever a GAF D&D game?

sk3tch

Halycon said:
Was there ever a GAF D&D game?

There is this thread in the Online / Matchup Forum. That covers all pen & paper games. I'm guessing the GAF D&D stuff will kick-off again once everyone has familiarized themselves with the 4th ed.

Damn, I need to get this stuff on order. My group broke up about a year back, and I've been waiting on a buddy of mine to finish up a campaign so I can join up. The plus side? The group that broke up played 2.0 rules, so no more THAC0 for me.

And I'm about to start re-modeling my den too. There might just need to be a nice, long table in there....

Omegasquash said:
Damn, I need to get this stuff on order. My group broke up about a year back, and I've been waiting on a buddy of mine to finish up a campaign so I can join up. The plus side? The group that broke up played 2.0 rules, so no more THAC0 for me.

And I'm about to start re-modeling my den too. There might just need to be a nice, long table in there....

THAC0 :lol

Xater

I always wanted to play D&D but I know nobody who would play it with me. :(

Can someone link me to this online stuff so I can take look at it (or at least get soem infos)? I can't find it on the D&D website.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone that says they don't have anybody local to play with, you may try meetup.com. There are a couple of D&D groups in my area, you may be able to find something as well.

I haven't played P&P in probably 5 or 6 years, but I'm thinking about getting back into it with 4th edition.

shoplifter

Vagabundo said:
The epic desinties are suppose to be exits from the game, story ending stuff and are vague enough that you could reuse the ones included for many character without it feeling the same.

Epic Destinies strike me as the most 'well these don't work for every game, so design something that fits your character and game' thing in the PHB.

Totally pumped for this, even though I probably won't have the money to pick up a PHB until this weekend.

I was able to play one of the RPGA adventures this weekend at a-kon, here are my impressions:

-The game is real easy to pick up and play. Granted, I'm a 3e veteran, but I get the feeling a lot of new people will take to 4e a lot easier since there seems to be less technicalities to remember. Spellcasting will be a lot easier.

- Combat is smoother, and deadlier. People who think that healing surges and the general increase in hp will create invincible PCs are in for a rude awakening.

- Critical Hits are natural 20 only. No need to confirm, and your attack will do max damage instead of double the roll.

- Missing with your daily sucks.

- Skill challenges are going to be a lot of fun. The new system will allow for more dynamic non-combat encounters.

- Playing at 1st level was fun again.

So yeah, I'm hyped!

sk3tch

According to this thread on Amazon.com - people placing an order today on Amazon.com are getting a July shipping estimate! Also, people changing their shipping methods are being dumped to the back of the queue (unsurprisingly) and finding their orders set for July as well.

My set still hasn't shipped. I was hoping they'd ship it off today so I could have it on Friday, but it looks like their June 9th estimate is going to stand! (I pre-ordered on May 29).

Vagabundo

shoplifter said:
Epic Destinies strike me as the most 'well these don't work for every game, so design something that fits your character and game' thing in the PHB.

Your going to get some good epic destinies from 3rd parties and WotC themselves, but by that stage of the campaign I think player input into the characters end story is really important. 30 levels is a lot of time with a character, there should be some emotional investment.

Not sure from your comment if you were
being negative about them or not?

sk3tch said:
According to this thread on Amazon.com - people placing an order today on Amazon.com are getting a July shipping estimate! Also, people changing their shipping methods are being dumped to the back of the queue (unsurprisingly) and finding their orders set for July as well.

My set still hasn't shipped. I was hoping they'd ship it off today so I could have it on Friday, but it looks like their June 9th estimate is going to stand! (I pre-ordered on May 29).

I'm going to cry if I don't get my books soon. According to Amazon I'm still set to ship tomorrow..

shoplifter

^^^ ack! my phb came today and my 2 phb/dmg/mm boxsets are coming tomorrow from Amazon.

Vagabundo said:
Your going to get some good epic destinies from 3rd parties and WotC themselves, but by that stage of the campaign I think player input into the characters end story is really important. 30 levels is a lot of time with a character, there should be some emotional investment.

Not sure from your comment if you were
being negative about them or not?

Totally a good thing, something like that is better left to the player. Sure, use the ones there as breeding ground for ideas, and what kind of stuff is 'appropriate' but I think I'd prefer my players to come up with their campaign 'win' strategy on their own.

4e to me seems like they're (thankfully) going back to an almost 1e-like sense of 'do whatever you want, they rules are yours to bend or break' rather than the strict interpretation of 3e. Obviously combat is more fleshed out, but in terms of general feel. It's as if they took a 'modern' set of rules and applied old-school logic to it.

CPaladino

Xbox Community Team
Lonesome_Raod said:
Really, really miss the days of playing d&d. Had many years with 2nd edition, a couple with 3rd edition then the group sort of went seperate ways.
Same here, LOTS of D&D 1st and 2nd edition.

Was heavy into Shadowrun, Star Wars (d6), and Hero System (Champions/Fantasy Hero) also.

With growing up comes lack of time. We're more inclined to play Descent or Settlers of Catan now (or video games).

sk3tch

Do any of you guys have recommendations for a collaborative online virtual tabletop (as a bonus, it'd be nice if we could use it offline, as well - i.e. when we play local we could update via laptop)?

I found the following programs:

OpenRPG

PCGen

They both look promising...but ideally I'd like to host the game, etc. on my website so we could all play from there. With the tools above, does everyone have to run it and everyone has to update it manually (if we're all remote)? EDIT: I now see that you can host your own OpenRPG server. This looks promising...but it'd be even better if we all could do it via a website! I know...I want it all. :D

I'm finally starting to "give in" on the fact that most of my friends and I are rarely going to be able to meet. Even shooting for two times a month is going to be a stretch. I'd love to do pure pen & paper at the tabletop but I think that will pose a challenge. It'd be nice if I could run a game both online and offline so we could play online when necessary and offline when we have time. It's still all about getting together with friends! :)

CPaladino said:
Same here, LOTS of D&D 1st and 2nd edition.

Was heavy into Shadowrun, Star Wars (d6), and Hero System (Champions/Fantasy Hero) also.

With growing up comes lack of time. We're more inclined to play Descent or Settlers of Catan now (or video games).

D6 star wars was the shit back in the day. I'd still love to play that game

sk3tch said:
Do any of you guys have recommendations for a collaborative online virtual tabletop (as a bonus, it'd be nice if we could use it offline, as well - i.e. when we play local we could update via laptop)?

I found the following programs:

OpenRPG

PCGen

They both look promising...but ideally I'd like to host the game, etc. on my website so we could all play from there. With the tools above, does everyone have to run it and everyone has to update it manually (if we're all remote)? EDIT: I now see that you can host your own OpenRPG server. This looks promising...but it'd be even better if we all could do it via a website! I know...I want it all. :D

I'm finally starting to "give in" on the fact that most of my friends and I are rarely going to be able to meet. Even shooting for two times a month is going to be a stretch. I'd love to do pure pen & paper at the tabletop but I think that will pose a challenge. It'd be nice if I could run a game both online and offline so we could play online when necessary and offline when we have time. It's still all about getting together with friends! :)

I'd be down for an online GAF game if people are interested.

Vagabundo

shoplifter said:
^^^ ack! my phb came today and my 2 phb/dmg/mm boxsets are coming tomorrow from Amazon.

Totally a good thing, something like that is better left to the player. Sure, use the ones there as breeding ground for ideas, and what kind of stuff is 'appropriate' but I think I'd prefer my players to come up with their campaign 'win' strategy on their own.

4e to me seems like they're (thankfully) going back to an almost 1e-like sense of 'do whatever you want, they rules are yours to bend or break' rather than the strict interpretation of 3e. Obviously combat is more fleshed out, but in terms of general feel. It's as if they took a 'modern' set of rules and applied old-school logic to it.

Totally agree, I feel they have put the wonder back into DND. 3e was a little too dry I think. Also since they have flatten the power curve I think there is more flexibility in the rules, character may find some broken stuff but it wont make a huge difference in play. Unlike my power gamers sorcerer-rogue who just fireballed everything to bits<sigh>...

sk3tch said:

I think the key is to have weekly meetings, if it is regular and organised my email, you would be surprise how many games happen. We have a three man rule (exclusing me as DM), so a minimum of three players must sign in on the weekly gmail thread. There are occasions when a few weeks go by without a game happening, but I find it works out well. Can't beat face to face gaming.

Top Bottom