• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D23 Expo Japan -- Kingdom Hearts Premium Theater

Famassu

The seven lights are more than likely:
Sora, Riku, Kairi, Ventus, Terra, Aqua, and Mickey.
Terra's end game might just be about him being saved from Xehanort's control, not really sure if he's gonna be "available" as one of the seven lights so soon that he'd be part of the final fight as a good guy (though he might help from within and fight Xehanort's control). If Terra is one, then Lea getting a keyblade has no relevancy. No, I think Terra's role is to be one of the baddies until the final confrontation and then he'll be saved in the end as they defeat Master Xehanort while maybe having some role in creating an opening in defeating one of the bad guys by fighting for control over himself with the Xehanort that took over his body.

I'd say the lights are most likely Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Ven, Aqua & Lea, though it is maybe possible some hijinks will go down with Sora and he becomes one of the baddies, in which case they'll need to figure out another light (which could be Terra but then MX would be down one of the 13 darknesses and that would need to be balanced out). The baddies are probably Master Xehanort, Young Xehanort, Terranort, Vanitas, Xemnas, Fake Ansem, Isa, Braig, a few other Org XIII members + maybe one or two surprises/new faces even (IIRC there's someone with MX's keyblade in Chi, maybe that's the first incarnation of Xehanort and will be part of the 13 darknesses)

Malyse

It's definitely a 2017 game since Nomura has run out of things to re-release after next year.

KH I.5 + II.5 + 2.8 = KINGDOM HEARTS 2.9 Road to Kingdom Hearts III Full Mix Final

With Playable 358/2 Days and Re:coded with full voice acting in all games.

wmlk

1446545422-image5.jpg
bungieshop.jpg

Malyse

Terra's end game might just be about him being saved from Xehanort's control, not really sure if he's gonna be "available" as one of the seven lights so soon that he'd be part of the final fight (though he might help from within and fight Xehanort's control). If Terra is one, then Lea getting a keyblade has no relevancy. No, I think Terra's role is to be one of the baddies until the final confrontation and then he'll be saved in the end as they defeat Master Xehanort while maybe having some role in creating an opening in defeating one of the bad guys by fighting for control over himself with the Xehanort that took over his body.

I'd say the lights are most likely Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Ven, Aqua & Lea, though it is maybe possible some hijinks will go down with Sora and he becomes one of the baddies, in which case they'll need to figure out another light (which could be Terra but then MX would be down one of the 13 darknesses and that would need to be balanced out). The baddies are probably Master Xehanort, Young Xehanort, Terranort, Vanitas, Xemnas, Fake Ansem, Isa, Braig, a few other Org XIII members + maybe one or two surprises/new faces even (IIRC there's someone with MX's keyblade in Chi, maybe that's the first incarnation of Xehanort and will be part of the 13 darknesses)
Sora is more likely a Darkness and the Goat Key isn't in chi yet.

So what're the chances KH3 releases in 2017? Not joking, I'm serious. While a late 2016 release date is possible, we've not seen much of the game to suggest it would release as early as 2016.

It's absolutely not a 2016 game. Kingdom Hearts is annual and we know 2.8 is the game next year. It's 2017 at the *earliest* assuming that 2.9 isn't coming (possibly as a collection of I.5 and II.5 on PS4). Plus FFXV is next year and I doubt this its out before July. They wouldn't drop both in the same six months period.

It will release late 2016

UE4 is saving Japan!!! Quicker development

/sarcasm

FrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozenFrozen!!!

(Mostly because it will make my wife happy, lol)

It's absolutely not a 2016 game. Kingdom Hearts is annual and we know 2.8 is the game next year. It's 2017 at the *earliest* assuming that 2.9 isn't coming (possibly as a collection of I.5 and II.5 on PS4). Plus FFXV is next year and I doubt this its out before July. They wouldn't drop both in the same six months period.

Right ...

Famassu

It's Kingdom Hearts. They'll find a contrived way to bring them back.
These games tend to end on a happy note. I doubt someone like Namine will be part of KHIII's storyline in a major way, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Nomura brought them back somehow. If Nomura is seriously going to bring Namine, Roxas & Xion back, then one way that might happen is maybe that Master Xehanort will succeed in summoning/whatever Kingdom Hearts, but then the good guys eventually win and then Sora will use the power of Kingdom Hearts to make Roxas, Namine & Xion into beings of their own (and revive Ansem), to get that happy ending for every good guy we've seen so far.

KHIII's development started in 2012. Though it took them some time to figure out development for more modern hardware, Osaka Team is a fairly efficient developer and they are using UE4 with strong support from Epic. Hard to imagine it wouldn't make it for 2017. Late 2016 sounds a bit too early considering FFXV & DQXI are already releasing in the second half of 2016, but anywhere from Spring 2017 to late 2017 sounds a bit more plausible.

Sora is more likely a Darkness and the Goat Key isn't in chi yet.
Ah, ok. Still, that hooded figure in Chi is probably connected to MX and could be one one of the 13 baddies.

I go to sleep so I can have all the info at once when I wake up only to find out that all we got was another timer. I expected we would have at least gotten more from people who attended by now since they can post about it.

Edit: Just checked KH13's Twitter. I guess we did get a lot of info from that, just not really the kind that a lot of people were looking for, also I have a potentially dumb question about the new Nobody. How are some people speculating it to be Marluxia's Nobody? Isn't he already a Nobody himself?

I go to sleep so I can have all the info at once when I wake up only to find out that all we got was another timer. I expected we would have at least gotten more from people who attended by now since they can post about it.

Well, they did pretty much describe everything showed.

But since we're not getting to see those videos, they are just some vague descriptions >.>

Yeah, I ended up editing and mentioning that. We did get told what was shown, it's just a shame that we can't see it for ourselves.

Yeah, I posted before I saw the edit =P

But duuuuude, I want to see that Aqua footage >.>

I'm so salty.

I hope at least the Axel scene they mentioned is in one of the trailers we'll get...

Edit: Just checked KH13's Twitter. I guess we did get a lot of info from that, just not really the kind that a lot of people were looking for, also I have a potentially dumb question about the new Nobody. How are some people speculating it to be Marluxia's Nobody? Isn't he already a Nobody himself?

It could be his uhh...Somebody? Is that the term we're going with? Or it could be a common enemy controlled by his uhh...Somebody.

Mortemis

Banned
Lmao, I actually fell asleep 10 min before info came out. Looks like I didn't miss much tho, seriously is the best they can do a couple screenshots and a promise for an extended e3 trailer a day later? Wow.

Falk

that puzzling face

Many (if not all) of Org XIII have generic nobodies that mimic their job/class/whatevs-it's-called.

Like those giant annoying claymore dudes whose claymores you can ride around taking after Saix.

That's probably what people are speculating it is.

Yeah, I posted before I saw the edit =P

But duuuuude, I want to see that Aqua footage >.>

I'm so salty.

I hope at least the Axel scene they mentioned is in one of the trailers we'll get...
I know, I really wish that we could see the entire Premium Theater event. I would even really be just as happy to see those live songs that they played as I would have for the new trailers and gameplay. I think it's cool that attendees get to see it first and in person, but the fact that other people can't see it at all..

Many (if not all) of Org XIII have generic nobodies that mimic their job/class/whatevs-it's-called.

Like those giant annoying claymore dudes whose claymores you can ride around taking after Saix.

That's probably what people are speculating it is.

Oh okay, then that makes sense. Gambler nobodies to represent Luxord and stuff like that.

Is it just me or does KH3 look like a PS3 game? Doesn't look that impressive for a next gen game.

It honestly has some of the worst looking character models I've seen in recent memory. Only Shenmue 3's can compete. They better get them to look as good as Sora's did in the first reveal trailer.

DKHF

It honestly has some of the worst looking character models I've seen in recent memory. Only Shenmue 3's can compete. They better get them to look as good as Sora's did in the first reveal trailer.
I agree that Sora's model has looked off/kinda bad since E3. I much prefer the D23 2013 Luminous model.

Is it just me or does KH3 look like a PS3 game? Doesn't look that impressive for a next gen game.

I feel like they need to make the graphics more cartoony too.

Just to make sure, but the only KH3 pic there is the first one.

In which case. No way, this looks way better than any PS3 game, on level of geometry alone.

Just happens that the artstyle of KH makes it so that you can see the polygon edges of anything unless they make it really round, which they are doing quite a good job of here, and specially in the E3 trailer.

edit: also, as for every game out there, KH shouldn't have this level of graphics in the first place. A PS3 version of the PS2 artstyle would be more than enough.

desmax

I think the Kingdom Shader is yet not fully implemented.

I'd wait another year, it should look better

wmlk

It doesn't look anywhere as good as Luminous, but that's a given. They know best, though. They weighed the pros and cons and UE4 was the best way to go.

Ray Down

Banned
So what're the chances KH3 releases in 2017? Not joking, I'm serious. While a late 2016 release date is possible, we've not seen much of the game to suggest it would release as early as 2016.

100% 2017.

Nomura said there would be a Kingdom Hearts game every year until KH3, Chi is the 2015 title and since its reveal 2.8 is the 2016 title.

Besides 2016 is already packed for SE with: DQ:B, DE:HR, SO5, Hitman, FFT0 Online, KH2.8, World of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Heroes 2, Nier and possibly Project Setsuna. And thats just off the top of my head.

Plus Square is releasing two big jrpgs next year: Dragon Quest 11 and Final Fantasy 15. Those two titles will probably be there big fall/winter games, throwing Kingdom Hearts 3 in there along with them to market is nuts.

Early/Mid 2017 is when KH3 will release.

Soriku

Just to make sure, but the only KH3 pic there is the first one.

In which case. No way, this looks way better than any PS3 game, on level of geometry alone.

Just happens that the artstyle of KH makes it so that you can see the polygon edges of anything unless they make it really round, which they are doing quite a good job of here, and specially in the E3 trailer.

edit: also, as for every game out there, KH shouldn't have this level of graphics in the first place. A PS3 version of the PS2 artstyle would be more than enough.

For a next gen game it looks really flat and undetailed.

I think DQ XI looks much better on UE4.

Also which world is that in the first shot?

For a next gen game it looks really flat and undetailed.

I think DQ XI looks much better on UE4.

Also which world is that in the first shot?

Well, this is as detailed as it gets, KH doesn't have the kind of artstyle that allows you to see the pores on people's faces. It's a mix of 2D disney and 3D disney/pixar.

And the first shot would be Yen Sid's Tower (from Fantasia).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Its just you. The graphics are as cartoony as they need to be IMO.

Compared to the base rendering engine we've been stuck with since KH1, the UE4 version looks like a great upgrade, but they are still trying to make it a simple art style without much realism.

Nah, IQ seems pretty stellar, though Square Enix has certainly released super clean shots of KH games in the past, so it could all be marketing bull shots.

The style seems a pretty close approximation of their CG scenes, as well.

Famassu

Is the bottom shot even supposed to be used as a comparison? Like..why would you even do that?
I just image-googled one comparison with a more man-made environment and another with outdoor environments that are somewhat similar. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do agree that Sora's face does still look a bit weird in comparison to the E3 2013 announcement vid & previous non-in-game models. It doesn't quite look like Sora, something's a bit off with the face. Still, from a graphics quality POV KHIII is the clear winner when compared to DQXI. Though it's not a bad looking game at all either.

Inuhanyou

Why are we comparing DQ11 and KH3 to begin with? They both look absolutely ridiculously amazing and great.

The real question is, what are those disappointed expecting otherwise from the visuals?

Ican understand not liking specific things like facial design, which can be modified slightly, but the graphics themselves look very good IMO. Very clean and colorful.

I think KHIII looks pretty great, for what we as seen of it till now, but I really don't understand why SE has released the screen that is in this thread: it's awful under every aspect, from composition, with Goofy (?) completely hidden and Donald largely so, to model, with very ugly hand for Donald and Goofy, an unconvincingly car and one of the worst pose for Sora that I have yet seen. I mean, every game can have some kind of ugly screens, but usually you don't use them as promotional material.

Soriku

No way. DQXI looks worse than KHIII.

Not even going to comment on the second comparison, but you realize that DQ XI shot is notably sharper than the KH3 shot? Though obviously KH3 would look better on an actual TV screen...but this is a poor comparison.

Its just you. The graphics are as cartoony as they need to be IMO.

Compared to the base rendering engine we've been stuck with since KH1, the UE4 version looks like a great upgrade, but they are still trying to make it a simple art style without much realism.

I compared DQ XI and KH3 because they both run on UE4.

DQ XI has a more (and better IMO) cartoony look so not true. Going by that battle shot it has the appropriate amount of detail and lighting that is missing from the KH3 shots. The character models like Riku and Kairi's are too realistically shaded compared to the other KH games. Life is Strange also has a better style (not comparing detail in models here; just the cartoony aspect of the art style. LiS has more impressive lighting though IMO.)

I think KH3 looks better in brighter areas (the vegetation also looks good in the Twilight Town and Tangled shots), but something about the detail and lighting still seems off.

Piers

The real question is, what are those disappointed expecting otherwise from the visuals?

I think they were expecting something on par with the announcement trailer -- particularly since KH2 looked great for its time. I think the generation skip also raised expectations. It's somewhat like people who expected Donkey Kong Country Wii / U to succeed the super realistic graphics of the SNES games.

Inuhanyou

I compared DQ XI and KH3 because they both run on UE4.

They are two distinctly different art styles, what is the point of comparing them? DQ is far more cell shaded in nature than any of KH games by default, which arent cell shaded to begin with for example.

DQ XI has a more (and better IMO) cartoony look so not true.

What "isn't true?" I said KH3 has an art style that is as cartoony as the developers want it to be for their style, they aren't looking to replicate Akira Toriyama's style.

Going by that battle shot it has the appropriate amount of detail and lighting that is missing from the KH3 shots. The character models like Riku and Kairi's are too realistically shaded compared to the other KH games. Life is Strange also has a better style (not comparing detail in models here; just the cartoony aspect of the art style. LiS has more impressive lighting though IMO.)

I think KH3 looks better in brighter areas (the vegetation also looks good in the Twilight Town and Tangled shots), but something about the detail and lighting still seems off.

I'm not sure what your referring to with the referral to LIS which has nothing to do with this game and also a completely different style. And the Kairi and Riku shots are not KH3, but KH 2.8 shots.

Just a strange comment over all.

Inuhanyou

I think they were expecting something on par with the announcement trailer -- particularly since KH2 looked great for its time. I think the generation skip also raised expectations. It's somewhat like people who expected Donkey Kong Country Wii / U to succeed the super realistic graphics of the SNES games.

Announcement trailer? You mean the E3 trailer with Sora on the beach, on a PC that obviously wasn't running in an in game environment?

That's SE's flub for sure, showing that tech demo level stuff and selling it as something they can achieve in real time for cutscene models, but its also nothing new for SE, showing of Agni's philosophy like 3 times and then not even having the engine ready for game consumption outside of its first title.

This is in addition to having KH3 on that engine before realizing they could not even spare the engineers to get it running for KH3, having to switch to UE4 while deep in development thus holding up even more time.

For Tai Yasue, the guy actually trying to make a shippable multiplatform product with an engine that is proven, i think he's made the right decisions in regards to reigning in the scope and over ambition that has always been SE's Achilles heel.

The fact of the matter is people overestimated SE once again in that regard. But the actual outcome is far from a disaster and still looks amazing considering that as you state, we did skip a generation.

Soriku

They are two distinctly different art styles, what is the point of comparing them? DQ is far more cell shaded in nature than any of KH games by default, which arent cell shaded to begin with for example.

What "isn't true?" I said KH3 has an art style that is as cartoony as the developers want it to be for their style, they aren't looking to replicate Akira Toriyama's style.

I'm not sure what your referring to with the referral to LIS which has nothing to do with this game and also a completely different style. And the Kairi and Riku shots are not KH3, but KH 2.8 shots.

Just a strange comment over all.

Uh...let's take this slowly.

DQ and KH have different art styles yes, but they are both anime/cartoony games and both DQ XI and KH3 are running on UE4. But besides art style, I'm more impressed by the detail in DQ XI than in KH3, at least in screenshots. I think DQ XI has struck a better balance between a nice cartoony art style and good detail. It doesn't mean anything that they are different games.

You said the graphics are as cartoony as they need to be...in your opinion. I don't agree. I think DQ XI is immediately more cartoony looking than KH3/0.2 even if both are colorful. Don't get too caught up in the artists.

Again with LIS you're getting too caught up with the different art styles. IMO from looking at the three games mentioned, DQ XI and LiS have a more cartoony feel than KH3. The Kairi and Riku shots are from 2.8 which run using KH3 graphics, it doesn't matter.

Uh...let's take this slowly.

DQ and KH have different art styles yes, but they are both anime/cartoony games and both DQ XI and KH3 are running on UE4. But besides art style, I'm more impressed by the detail in DQ XI than in KH3, at least in screenshots. I think DQ XI has struck a better balance between a nice cartoony art style and good detail. It doesn't mean anything that they are different games.

You said the graphics are as cartoony as they need to be...in your opinion. I don't agree. I think DQ XI is immediately more cartoony looking than KH3/0.2 even if both are colorful. Don't get too caught up in the artists.

Again with LIS you're getting too caught up with the different art styles. IMO from looking at the three games mentioned, DQ XI and LiS have a more cartoony feel than KH3. The Kairi and Riku shots are from 2.8 which run using KH3 graphics, it doesn't matter.

I'm pretty sure that the DQ XI uses cel shading in it's characters while KH III don't.

Astral Dog

That particular screenshot might not be the most flattering, but there is no doubt KH 3 is a real upgrade and they are still working on it, E3 Trailer should be enough proof.

Top Bottom