• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D3 Publisher announces Idol Death Game TV for PS Vita

x9ptZF3.jpg
gYIFEcC.jpg

D3 Publisher has announced Idol Death Game TV, a “battle for center death game action adventure” due out for PS Vita (with PlayStation TV support) in Japan on October 20.

Idol Death Game TV is developed by The Irregular at Magic High School: Out of Order studio Witchcraft, and features character design by Metawo Ueda, and script and supervision by Shoujiro Endo.

More details are due out in the July 24 issue of Weekly Famitsu, which will release on July 7.
Gematsu
Official Site

Famitsu Preview
Enhanced:

2NUulGO.jpg

That looks like dynamite strapped to her, yeah.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201607/04109981.html

More details
The game centers around an unscripted event called “Dream of Dreams,” set within a desolate old mansion, where a center idol is to be decided from the members of a popular idol group called “Project 47,” including the year’s low ranking members. Within Project 47 are units, such as “Team Happy” and “Team Smile,” and in total the group has over 200 members. The player will choose to play as one idol from those appearing, and the story will change accordingly.

There are exploration, judging, and “Death Concert” elements. During exploration, you’ll look for items throughout each stage as well as exchange information with idols. And it seems that it’s important to both raise your own spirits while lowering those of your opponents. During judging parts, you’ll be judged on your dancing and performance. And during “Death Concerts,” the idols that didn’t make it through to the final judging are killed. However, it seems that by clearing the trials of Doripaku (voiced by Kappi Yamaguchi), a costumed character with pink hair who leads the event (and while cruel supposedly values human life), the defeated can somehow be revived.

The magazine introduces some of the game’s appearing idols, including:

• Mariko Kamata (voiced by Azumi Asakura) – Rank 88. A comforting idol part of the first graduating class who has a 10-year career.
  • Chiharu Chigasaki (voiced by Emi Uema) – Rank 5. An orthodox idol who puts in great effort.
  • Shirase Tsubaka (voiced by Yurika Kubo) – Rank 15. A mood maker and younger sister-type idol who adores Mariko and Chiharu.
  • Ayaka Tennouji (voiced by Yu Serizawa) – Rank 6. The leader of Team Smile and a woman with a strong sense of justice.
  • Rito Karasuma (voiced by Asuka Nishi) – Rank 43. An air-headed idol talented in acting who admires Ayaka.
Development on the game is currently 69 percent complete (hehe). It features illustrations by Metawo Ueda, script and supervision by Shoujiro Endo, and is produced by Yujiro Usuda.
Gematsu

Famitsu Online Preview
h8Tq2yu.jpg
Joo96qB.jpg

PrNpBQY.jpg
pWHzYuG.jpg

“Dream of Dreams,” or D.O.D. for short—a competition to determine the center for popular idol group Project 47.

But the big event this year was shrouded in unusual circumstances. It is an obscure and unscripted event with mysterious selection standards where even low ranking members are included in the popularity ranking.

With everything in question, the live television broadcast began.

What fate awaits these idols filled with anticipation and anxiety…!?

Players can choose to play as one of the idols that appear in the game, and enjoy the story from their point of view. When deciding which character to play as, the mascot-esque Doripaku will explain the judging details. After that, the life-or-death battle for center position will begin. The characters that survive will change based on the player’s actions, so Idol Death Game TV will be playable many times over.

Gematsu
Famitsu

kadotsu

Banned
I hope the twist is that they are trapped in a video game so they can go for the shit light novel triple whammy.

FluxWaveZ

Ideally, this would be about idols having to kill each other in a twisted, publicly broadcast game show.

It's not gonna be that, though...

This is the most "cash in on popular shit" thing I've ever seen.

Well, Neptunia has Neptunia PP. A lot of things have been trying to follow this idol bullshit in a bullshit way for a long time now.

Heck, even Project Diva X now has some "Cool & Sexy" "Beauty" whatever labeling that they got from, I dunno, Idolm@ster?
If they wanted some funny tags, why not get some Niconico, which would have been more in the spirit of the first few Project diva?

Even Macross is all about idols now. With Dancing VFs and shit.

Only one group (Love Live) did really good at following the idol "trend" (you could even say they are the leaders in the "fictional" space), and that's mainly because instead of going for "a thing about idols", they actually sold idols (or pseudo-idols/virtual idols/whatever).

Heck, even my friend who would never cosplay girls do female cosplay now. And the latest one was Love Live.

Exactly what is thr gameplay of this title? What genre is it?

It's ADV. You press Circle to go to the next dialogue. Sometimes, you're given a choice to select which timeline to follow coz parallel worlds.

Apparently, it's "action ADV", whatever the fuck that means.

FluxWaveZ

This is what I want and expect. Do we know for sure it isn't that?

It could be but, you know, too good to be true and all that.

Title reminded me of Caligula and its "could you kill an idol?" tagline. The beginnings of Japanese niche entertainment shifting towards the destruction of idol culture (not really).

W-00

Ideally, this would be about idols having to kill each other in a twisted, publicly broadcast game show.

It's not gonna be that, though...

It has to be that, though. That is clearly what the title promises, and not delivering on a premise that spectacular would be cruel and unusual!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So......is this Battle Royale or Danganronpa or Zero Escape, but with idols as the participants?

.....because I would totally be fine with that. Each song they sing could be their last.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm hoping for a Danganronpa Idol Killing Game Despair.

just watching the trailer for Bullet Girls made me feel like vigerously washing my eyes with soap and water. I'll bet I'll feel real yucky just for sharing space on the same planet as this game once more gets, um, revealed.

Dangit, D3, you used to be better then this.

just watching the trailer for Bullet Girls made me feel like vigerously washing my eyes with soap and water. I'll bet I'll feel real yucky just for sharing space on the same planet as this game once more gets, um, revealed.

Dangit, D3, you used to be better then this.

Yeah, I miss the good old days of D3 when they only made classy games.

Like Demolition Girl.

hqdefault.jpg

And Fighting Angels.

gfs_72502_2_174_mid.jpg

And Paparazzi.

2686036-_-paparazzi-ps2-_.jpg

And Party Girls!

89009-party-girls-playstation-2-screenshot-whoa-losing-balance-press.jpg

yeah, those PS2 games are crass and exploitative of the female form, yeah, no denying that. Even the more recent Onechanbara games (or all of them, really) are guilty in that regard.

But they're also so patently ridiculous and cheesy that their more prurient content doesn't pack quite the same punch as Bullet Girls does for me. There's sketchy and there's just plain wrong. I know where my line is, but other people of course are free to have their own line wherever they please.

Also, D3 gave us Zombies vs. Ambulance, I miss that kind of wacky.

More details
The game centers around an unscripted event called “Dream of Dreams,” set within a desolate old mansion, where a center idol is to be decided from the members of a popular idol group called “Project 47,” including the year’s low ranking members. Within Project 47 are units, such as “Team Happy” and “Team Smile,” and in total the group has over 200 members. The player will choose to play as one idol from those appearing, and the story will change accordingly.

There are exploration, judging, and “Death Concert” elements. During exploration, you’ll look for items throughout each stage as well as exchange information with idols. And it seems that it’s important to both raise your own spirits while lowering those of your opponents. During judging parts, you’ll be judged on your dancing and performance. And during “Death Concerts,” the idols that didn’t make it through to the final judging are killed. However, it seems that by clearing the trials of Doripaku (voiced by Kappi Yamaguchi), a costumed character with pink hair who leads the event (and while cruel supposedly values human life), the defeated can somehow be revived.

The magazine introduces some of the game’s appearing idols, including:

• Mariko Kamata (voiced by Azumi Asakura) – Rank 88. A comforting idol part of the first graduating class who has a 10-year career.
  • Chiharu Chigasaki (voiced by Emi Uema) – Rank 5. An orthodox idol who puts in great effort.
  • Shirase Tsubaka (voiced by Yurika Kubo) – Rank 15. A mood maker and younger sister-type idol who adores Mariko and Chiharu.
  • Ayaka Tennouji (voiced by Yu Serizawa) – Rank 6. The leader of Team Smile and a woman with a strong sense of justice.
  • Rito Karasuma (voiced by Asuka Nishi) – Rank 43. An air-headed idol talented in acting who admires Ayaka.
Development on the game is currently 69 percent complete (hehe). It features illustrations by Metawo Ueda, script and supervision by Shoujiro Endo, and is produced by Yujiro Usuda.
Gematsu

CamHostage

Idol Death Game TV is developed by The Irregular at Magic High School: Out of Order studio Witchcraft, and features character design by Metawo Ueda, and script and supervision by Shoujiro Endo.

That's the studio of Wild Arms creator Akifumi Kaneko Witch Craft founded (but stepped down from running it in 2015, may or may not still be involved?)

I'm not too familiar with playing any of their games as far as I can tell from the credits list since none of Witch Craft Games's works appear to have left Japan. They did an Ippo PS3 game called The First Step, the Tiger & Bunny and Nanoha PSP games, some 3DS sentai games, Drakerider games on iOS. I remember talking about that studio in some other thread but I can't recall the game (maybe it was IMHS/Mahouka on Vita), the most recognizable game on their docket for me is Heroes Fantasia, which was a PSP RPG that crossed over a number of anime characters like Keroro and Lina Inverse.

Witch Craft Works also worked on the anime Senki Zesshō Symphogear, which was a different idol story who become magical girls in space battles or something or other.

(maybe it was IMHS/Mahouka on Vita),

They did indeed develop Mahouka for Vita (I reviewed it here), which was a cheaply made anime cash-in but there was nothing inherently wrong with it.

I can't imagine D3 Publisher would give them much more budget but they have funded things like Bullet Girls/Natsuiro High School which seem bigger in scope than Mahouka was.

Top Bottom