• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daedalic CEO: PS5 Will Be Huge; I Think Microsoft Is Doing Some Things Better Than in the Past

Daedalic, the German studio known as a developer for Deponia and Blackguards and as a publisher for, recently snatched a multi-game deal with the Tolkien Estate to make games based on the Lord of the Rings novels, the first of which will be focused on Gollum.

In a featured article published on the latest EDGE magazine (February 2020, issue 341), a few Daedalic revealed plenty of juicy details on the Gollum game. They also shared brief comments on the big topic of the industry: Microsoft's and Sony's next-generation consoles.
Daedalic CEO Carsten Fichtelmann said:

I think Microsoft is doing some things better than they did in the past. And the PS5 will be huge.
Daedalic Game Designer Martin Wilkes went a little more in-depth with his comment, explaining how the specs of the Xbox Series X console will positively influence level design for instance.

I’ve only heard rumours about the [Xbox Series X] specs, and it’s huge – very fast Flash memory. Which excites me, of course, but I don’t think that’s relevant to this project, because we’re aiming for PC as well. Especially for level designers, though, that’s a dream come true, because we don’t have to concern ourselves with streaming corridors any more. I think that’s sometimes really painful – to squeeze down these otherwise beautiful, stunning environments because we need another corridor here.
It seems like the lips of game developers are slowly unsealing on PS5 and the Xbox Series X; Jonathan Blow recently shared a very brief comment, too. After all, we are now about eleven months away from the likely release dates of both consoles (the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One both launched in November 2013).

According to the latest rumors, in case you missed them, the PS5 could be targeting 9.2 teraflops while the Xbox Series X may be even more powerful at 12 teraflops. If that's indeed the case, it is fair to expect the Xbox Series X to be pricier than the PS5, while another low-end console (Xbox Series S?) could be priced more aggressively.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Of course PS5 will be huge, Microsoft’s tight lipped on price and launch date because they need every advantage they can on Sony. The last thing they want to give is a week head start and $100 again.

Daedalic > Hellpoint
LividConsciousCondor-size_restricted.gif

Tarkus98

Big chunk of flash memory confirmed?

“I’ve only heard rumours about the [Xbox Series X] specs, and it’s huge – very fast Flash memory.”

Top Bottom