• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cringe at the idea of her being Obi Wan's granddaughter. Such a godawful geek fantasy idea!

She's a Skywalker. The Skywalker name isn't going to die off with these films. End of.

Obi Wan's daughter is just too much. He had kids? His kids had kids? What happened to his kids? Ridiculous and zero chance of it happening.

Tbf her comments pretty much confirm Luke is the father.

Daft_Cat

To me, the saber and the vision she gets makes it that it just has to be Luke. Its his fathers saber, passed on to his son, now passed onto his daughter.

After her comments, to me this is the most logical choice. Why else would Anakin and Lukes saber be "calling to her" in EP7? Aint no mystery to me.

Her ability? Her potential? The will of the force? The role she's to play in the fate of the galaxy?

All more interesting than "because her daddy is x".

Her ability? Her potential? The will of the force? The role she's to play in the fate of the galaxy?

All more interesting than "because her daddy is x".

Maybe, but her family is "strong" in the force, it wouldnt make any sense to have her be a Kenobi or any other family. Shes a Skywalker. SW (movies) is about that family.

It makes complete sense that Luke wouldnt mention it to anyone and try to "hide" her. He wants to avoid the drama that happened before and at the same time, try to protect her from being lured by the dark side. Everything fits.

I originally thought Solo was her father based on her intuitiveness operating the Falcon. But story-wise, how does that make sense (Solo doesn't know? Leia didn't seem to have any idea either...)

Luke being her father I guess makes more sense in that regard.

People surprised by Rey's ability to pick-up and use Force powers so easily, to me, was an indication she had training at a young age and was simply remembering.

Stealth edit:

Also, there was that early Force Awakens trailer with Luke saying, "The Force is strong in my family...My father had it, my sister has it, you have that power too..."

So either Leia's daughter or Luke's imo. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Daft_Cat

Maybe, but her family is "strong" in the force, it wouldnt make any sense to have her be a Kenobi or any other family. Shes a Skywalker. SW (movies) is about that family.

They are? Says who? That line from Return of the Jedi that played in The Force Awakens trailer? I'm not sure its placement there is meant to apply to Rey.

And let's not forget there are two generations of Skywalkers still at play in this new trilogy. That one is the franchise's current antagonist shouldn't undercut the fact that these films are still very much about the legacy of that family - with or without Rey being one of them.

They are? Says who? That line from Return of the Jedi that played in The Force Awakens trailer? I'm not sure its placement there is meant to apply to Rey.

And let's not forget there are two generations of Skywalkers still at play in this new trilogy. That one is the franchise's current antagonist shouldn't undercut the fact that these films are still very much about the legacy of that family - with or without Rey being one of them.

says George Lucas.

Daft_Cat

says George Lucas.

My bad. Assumed you were interested in actually discussing your theory and not just being flippant and vague.

People surprised by Rey's ability to pick-up and use Force powers so easily, to me, was an indication she had training at a young age and was simply remembering.

I'd agree - but couldn't that mean she was identified for her power, and then hidden away as the galaxy fell into turmoil? Isn't that more interesting to people than her just being someone's kid? I'd be much more interested in learning what it is about Rey on the inside that makes her this trilogy's new new hope. Not everyone can be somebody's kid, after all. It's been and done again in this franchise, and it takes away from Abrams' oft quoted "a hero can be anyone" approach to the characters of Rey and Finn.

I'm definitely in the "Rey's biological parents are characters we haven't met" camp. I think it provides the most interesting narrative possibilities.

My bad. Assumed you were interested in actually discussing your theory and not just being flippant and vague.

I'd agree - but couldn't that mean she was identified for her power, and then hidden away as the galaxy fell into turmoil? Isn't that more interesting to people than her just being someone's kid? I'd be much more interested in learning what it is about Rey that makes her a new new hope. Not everyone can be somebody's kid, after all. It's been and done again in this franchise, and it takes away from Abrams' oft quoted "a hero can be anyone" approach to the characters of Rey and Finn.

I'm definitely in the "Rey's biological parents are characters we haven't met" camp. I think it provides the most interesting narrative possibilities.

Ive already discussed my theory, look at my posts. There no way she aint a skywalker. No way.

And with her comments making it seem like it should have been "obvious", its pretty much a guarantee.

I guess her mom could've been acting without Luke's knowledge and dropped Rey off on Jakku for her own reasons.

Rey being dropped off on Jakku before Kylo Ren attacked Luke's academy really complicates her being Luke's daughter any other way.

Vengal

Cringe at the idea of her being Obi Wan's granddaughter. Such a godawful geek fantasy idea!

She's a Skywalker. The Skywalker name isn't going to die off with these films. End of.

Obi Wan's daughter is just too much. He had kids? His kids had kids? What happened to his kids? Ridiculous and zero chance of it happening.

Her being a Skywalker is also cringe, unless this series is about how Skywalkers are bad parents.

Her being a Skywalker is also cringe, unless this series is about how Skywalkers are bad parents.

She will be a Skywalker.

She's the main character of the trilogy following Anakin and Luke.

The Skywalker name will continue with her.

------

Just a random thought, there were absolutely loads of people on Star Wars forums who denied that Sidious was Palpatine. Hilarious looking back.

Daft_Cat

And with her comments making it seem like it should have been "obvious", its pretty much a guarantee.

Only if you take her comments at face-value. Personally, I think they rather cryptically suggest the opposite. That her parents are either unimportant, or characters not yet introduced in the story. I'm referring specifically to this quote: "I thought a lot was answered in ‘The Force Awakens’. Then after the screening I went for a drink with my agent and everyone, and we were chatting away and I realized that oh, in their minds it’s not answered at all!"

She didn't quite say that she thought her parents were revealed in the film. Just that she was surprised to see so many people still asking that question after all that happens in the film. I can see what she means... Personally, it wasn't a question I was asking myself coming out of Force Awakens. Don't get me wrong - had Ren not been the son of Han and Leia, I would've definitely been playing the "spot the Skywalker" game - but he was, so I wasn't.

At the time, it seemed more likely that she had been a student of Luke's when she was very young, and that Luke was also responsible for her abandonment on Jakku. If I was theorizing about her biological parentage at all, it was that they were either unimportant or characters not yet introduced. If she is a Skywalker, I hope they have a masterful reveal up their sleeves... because going back to that well for the third time borders on comedic.

Only if you take her comments at face-value. Personally, I think they rather cryptically suggest the opposite. That her parents are either unimportant, or characters not yet introduced in the story. I'm referring specifically to this quote: "I thought a lot was answered in ‘The Force Awakens’. Then after the screening I went for a drink with my agent and everyone, and we were chatting away and I realized that oh, in their minds it’s not answered at all!"

She didn't quite say that she thought her parents were revealed in the film. Just that she was surprised to see so many people still asking that question after all that happens in the film. I can see what she means... It definitely wasn't a question I was asking myself coming out of Force Awakens. If Ren had not been the son of Han and Leia, I would've definitely been playing the "spot the Skywalker" game - but he was, so I wasn't.

As for Rey, it seemed a lot more likely that she had been a student of Luke's when she was very young - with Luke also being responsible for her abandonment on Jakku. If I was theorizing at all about her biological parentage at all, it was that they were either unimportant or characters not yet introduced. If she is a Skywalker, I hope they have a masterful reveal up their sleeves... because going back to that well for the third time borders on comedic.

Its possible, but i just dont see it coming from Disney. I mean just look at EP7, all the secrecy surrounding it and ultimately we kinda just got a copy of EP4. I dont think its Disneys style to change things up, especially for their main SW movies. Id be stunned.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I have a hard time believing that Luke would dump Rey on Jakku as a child all alone where she had to scavege to live. Sure Luke was dropped off on a desert planet but he had uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (and Obi Wan was there) Except for him wanting to get off the planet, it seems like he lived a pretty happy life. And Leia became a freaking princess.

If Luke is her father, my guess is that he didn't know.

Personally, I hope her parents are nobody important but is seems unlikely.

Daft_Cat

I have a hard time believing that Luke would dump Rey on Jakku as a child all alone where she had to scavege to live. Sure Luke was dropped off on a desert planet but he had uncle Owen and Aunt Beru (and Obi Wan was there) Except for him wanting to get off the planet, it seems like he lived a pretty happy life. And Leia became a freaking princess.

Would explain why Lor San Tekka was there!

Paints a horrible picture of Luke if he did that and I would not be happy.

Eh. Depends on the context and what the alternative was. A rough, but anonymous life on Jakku as a scavenger (under the distant watch of Lars San Tekka) is better than being kidnapped, corrupted, manipulated, and/or slaughtered by Snoke.

Exactly my point. Paints a horrible picture of Luke if he did that and I would not be happy. Now if he didn't know then its a different story. I need a trailer for VIII already!

Exactly my point. Paints a horrible picture of Luke if he did that and I would not be happy. Now if he didn't know then its a different story. I need a trailer for VIII already!

Not necessarily though. I could totally see him being afraid of not being able to protect her against the dark side. And after he lost his training temple and Kylo ren turned on him, i could see why this "to him" could be kinda of a validation of why he did it.

Cause to him, its somewhat easy to sway children to the dark side. I totally see it.

Voras

Considering that Daisy Ridley thought it was obvious I feel like it has to be Luke. I'm sure there is some reasoning behind her getting left on Jakku that we'll see in Episode VIII. Plus how can they pass up the opportunity for Luke to do the whole "No, I am your father" thing.

Not necessarily though. I could totally see him being afraid of not being able to protect her against the dark side. And after he lost his training temple and Kylo ren turned on him, i could see why this "to him" could be kinda of a validation of why he did it.

Cause to him, its somewhat easy to sway children to the dark side. I totally see it.

Rey was dropped off on Jakku before Ren attacked his academy!

Considering that Daisy Ridley thought it was obvious I feel like it has to be Luke. I'm sure there is some reasoning behind her getting left on Jakku that we'll see in Episode VIII.

Probably, but it doesn't mean she is correct and they could always change it last minute. We won't know for sure for another year or 3

"Skywalkers live on sand".

Yeah but they hate it. It’s coarse and rough and irritating, and it gets everywhere. They prefer it when things are smooth.

Daft_Cat

But why would he do that when Rey was dropped off on Jakku before Ren attacked his academy?

Perhaps there was something about Rey that Snoke was determined to find or that Luke was determined to protect - even prior to the fall of Ren. Maybe Snoke's corruption of Ren was not just a deliberate attempt to kill Luke, but also to get to Rey. Who knows. The details are up in the air, but they haven't exactly written themselves into a corner.

What we do know is that someone left Rey on Jakku for whatever reason, and that, unbeknownst to her, a follower of the force and a friend of the Skywalker family lived nearby. That's enough to paint a basic picture, in my eyes.

Considering that Daisy Ridley thought it was obvious I feel like it has to be Luke. I'm sure there is some reasoning behind her getting left on Jakku that we'll see in Episode VIII. Plus how can they pass up the opportunity for Luke to do the whole "No, I am your father" thing.

lol

Rey was dropped off on Jakku before Ren attacked his academy!

yes but when it happened, he could have been thinking: See this is exaclty why i did it.

Considering he was swayed by vader, his father was swayed by palpatine, his nephew was swayed, and vader even stated to go after his sister if he didnt turn, why the hell would he feel like his daughter is safe after all that?

So he hides her and cuts ties. Makes sense.

graffix13

Rey is Luke's daughter, no question.

It just makes more business sense to have a female Skywalker. And at the end of the day, Disney is a business. Rey Skywalker will bring in more money through toys, future books, future shows, etc. than Rey nobody would. Maybe the die hards would care, but casual fans won't give a shit.

bill0527

People have been bringing up that final shot of The Force Awakens and the look on Luke's face when she tries to hand him the saber.

If she is Luke's daughter, then he should know it was her or feel her approaching through the force as she is getting closer to him. And IF she is Luke's daughter, I would expect Luke to have a much better greeting than the look he gave her when she showed up on his doorstep.

So yes, if Luke is her father, then the Skywalkers are the worst fucking dads of all time.

Rey is Luke's daughter, no question.

It just makes more business sense to have a female Skywalker. And at the end of the day, Disney is a business. Rey Skywalker will bring in more money through toys, future books, future shows, etc. than Rey nobody would. Maybe the die hards would care, but casual fans won't give a shit.

Maybe but at the same time, putting a woman and 2 minorities as the leads isn't your classic example of following the big money tropes for casting blockbusters. Plus if you recall that whole stink about Rey toys not being widely produced last year it would lend to the opposite of what you are claiming.

I think Luke is certainly still on the table with the twist being who her mother was, but I think the film most strongly points to some third party who are "never coming back". Parents who might have some greater significance to the universe, or none at all. Something to explore and provide context to Rey's journey, not unlike Ezra's parents in Rebels. Like discovering who her dead parents were and the part they played and why they abandoned her, and her finding a way to move forward. The Skywalker legacy could be passed down to her on a spiritual level, with the Skywalker line still tied with the fate of the galaxy via Leia, Luke, and Kylo.

The lightsaber calling to her may simply be the force choosing her and tying her fate to the Skywalkers. With the other parallels to Arthurian legend, the lightsaber could be a sword in the stone analogue, the lady in the lake passing it on to her and signaling her worthiness to inherit a legacy. The lightsaber travelling with her as a symbol to Luke of her importance, and not so much as a result of her blood.

holygeesus

Banned
I am a complete Star Wars noob but to me the flick always made it obvious she was Luke's daughter. All the way through there are nods to it, then you have the cousin fight at the end. Luke's daughter versus Leia's son, both apprentices in a way.

It is pretty clear cut.

Chumley

Banned
You guys are overthinking it. She's Luke's daughter. The only other possibility is Obi-Wan but that in no way could have possibly been hinted at in the movie, and there's no way Han and Leia are her parents.

You guys are overthinking it. She's Luke's daughter. The only other possibility is Obi-Wan but that in no way could have possibly been hinted at in the movie, and there's no way Han and Leia are her parents.

Yeah, 14 pages deep on a question that was quite obviously answered in the film's writing, direction, costume design (and arguably casting).

I'd honestly be furious if she WASNT Luke's daughter, I want me a Skywalker hero at the centre of attention all. SW. day.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Exactly my point. Paints a horrible picture of Luke if he did that and I would not be happy.

Worse than going off and listening to Linkin Park for years?

So on top of going into hiding and abandoning the Resistance when Kylo turns to the Darkside and the Empire makes a comeback, Luke is also a deadbeat dad? And maybe committed Force incest with Leia? I think I saw a few of his posts in the Confessions thread.

I don't know why people keep saying Kenobi. Kenobi died 34 years before the events of Force awakens. Unless his force ghost impregnated someone, Rey is not Kenobi's kid. It's not possible.

I don't know why people keep saying Kenobi. Kenobi died 34 years before the events of Force awakens. Unless his force ghost impregnated someone, Rey is not Kenobi's kid. It's not possible.

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

To be fair this IS the universe where some evil guys made a baby in some far off planet using the force apparently.

Could still be a Kenobi right? Him calling out to her is strange and Ben had the saber longer then Vader and Luke combined.

No. It would require one of two situations:

1) Obi-Wan and Satine (for those who haven't watched Clone Wars, a woman he loved whom he would have left the order for if she had asked) had a secret lovechild before the Clone Wars began and who was completely hidden away for decades and simply never referenced by anyone anywhere ever (even the two of them, to each other while alone), which is completely ridiculous. It would also put waaaaaaaay too much emphasis on Clone Wars as a must-watch for any of this to make sense, and Clone Wars doesn't even remotely hint at their relationship going that far anyway. It's implied Obi-Wan never actually broke any rules (especially to the extent of fathering a child), and that if he would have, he would have instead left the Order first. He loved her and she loved him, but they never acted on it.

Scenario 2) After his "brother" destroyed the entire Jedi Order, in large part due to his relationship with Padmé, Obi-Wan, an extremely by-the-books Jedi, one of the very last of his kind, who had watched the only woman he ever loved get murdered right in front of him not too many years before, decided to abandon the teachings of the Jedi Order, get in on with some chick, and father a child who again was completely hidden away for decades and simply never referenced by anyone anywhere ever, which is again completely ridiculous, only more so because now the mysterious lover also completely disappears before A New Hope and is also never referenced again by anyone anywhere ever.

Neither scenario makes any sense, is highly inconsistent with what we've seen, and is terrible. As far the rest of your post, you're reeeeally stretching to form a connection. Yoda also reached out to her, and it's possible Maz had the saber longer than anyone. Obviously she's not "Rey Yoda-Kanata".

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom