• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonShula

Robot hand touching R2 in the vision will end up being Rey's. Luke is already dead. "Stop taking my hand." Rey is Skywalker reincarnated.

Obi-wan saying "these are your first steps" is in reference to her literal first steps as a toddler.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

So assuming the awakening is indeed that particular moment, it sounds like Snoke is merely sensing Rey's presence in the force for the first time, which is no different from Qui Gon sensing Anakin for the first time ("I sense a vergence in the force" ... "located around a person?" etc.).
In that case why is Rey's existence significant? Is she something special like Anakin? And if so is Luke too far away to sense her too? Or does he just not care?

And if Rey is a special being birthed from the force is she a result of someone tampering with it like Plagueous/Sidious did or is there a different cause behind her awakening?

Basically what I hope to learn in the next films is whether Rey's power manifesting is the awakening in question (which makes her Space Jesus 2: Electric Boogaloo) or is she merely a symptom of a deeper event which is the actual awakening of the force.
I don't think the Force awakening has to be an explicit event, and is best described vaguely. The Force is like a large fluid medium that's been sitting still for a long time. The Force awakening is like a pebble (a disturbance, if you will) dropped in a still pond, creating ripples that radiate outward. Rey could be the pebble, or she could just be the first to hop on a surfboard as the ripples turn into waves. Maybe the lightsaber is just a metaphorical surfboard or a force sensitive compass pointing her where she needs to go.

Snoke doesn't explicitly know she is involved from the start, he just senses the ripples. Similarly, Luke probably sensed the ripples too, felt that something was coming on the waves, and that something was Rey.

The Force could be acting deliberately to make the wakes, or reacting to whatever disturbs it. Maybe Luke disturbed it, or maybe he is seeking the source of the disturbance. Or, perhaps he is simply seeking to better understand the hows and whys of the whole thing. He's clearly looking deeper than others have looked before. It's supposed to be vague. We'll find out.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Robot hand touching R2 in the vision will end up being Rey's. Luke is already dead. "Stop taking my hand." Rey is Skywalker reincarnated.

Obi-wan saying "these are your first steps" is in reference to her literal first steps as a toddler.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.

You may be on to something!
Rey is a replicant and everything from her entire childhood on Jakku up to the moment she meets BB88 is artificial memory implants. She literally awakens and takes her first steps in the physical world.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'd be down for Kenobi lineage, you know cause it rhymes, like poetry.

But otherwise I'd prefer, hope, she was just a random person. Unless it's really well done few instances of making everything and everyone interconnected works out well.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I think the Force awakening can be explained much simpler, and more vaguely. The Force is like a large fluid medium that's been sitting still for a long time. The Force awakening is like a pebble dropped in a still pond. Rey could be the pebble, or she could just be the first to hop on a surfboard as the ripples turn into waves. Maybe the lightsaber is just a metaphorical surfboard or a force sensitive compass pointing her where she needs to go.

Snoke doesn't explicitly know she is involved from the start, he just senses the ripples. Similarly, Luke probably sensed the ripples too, felt that something was coming on the waves, and that something was Rey.

The Force could be acting deliberately to make the wakes, or reacting to whatever disturbs it. Maybe Luke disturbed it, or is seeking the source of the disturbance. He's clearly looking deeper than others have looked before. It's supposed to be vague. We'll find out.

The bolded is what bugs me. We know almost nothing about the period between episode VI and VII. Who's to say the force has been sitting still over that time? That's a really important piece of exposition the audience would need to know in order for the awakening to live up to its name.

The bolded is what bugs me. We know almost nothing about the period between episode VI and VII. Who's to say the force has been sitting still over that time? That's a really important piece of exposition the audience would need to know in order for the awakening to live up to its name.
Why do you need exposition? The film is called The Force Awakens, the word "awakens" implying all you need. We all saw the last major disruption in the "balance" of the force snuffed out (the Sith and maybe the Jedi too). That doesn't mean the force was completely dormant, obviously Luke and Kylo were using it in the interim, but nothing as major as a Sith Emperor ruling the galaxy with his right hand man Evil Space Jesus. Now something new is happening for us to find out, next time on The Star Wars.

None of this needs to be explained or made explicit, though with Luke clearly planning on explaining things to Rey per the trailer, I'm sure you'll get something.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Why do you need exposition? The film is called The Force Awakens, the word "awakens" implying all you need. We all saw the last major disruption in the "balance" of the force snuffed out (the Sith and maybe the Jedi too). That doesn't mean the force was completely dormant, obviously Luke and Kylo were using it in the interim, but nothing as major as a Sith Emperor ruling the galaxy with his right hand man Evil Space Jesus. Now something new is happening for us to find out, next time on The Star Wars.

None of this needs to be explained or made explicit.

Wasn't Luke training new Jedi? That sounds more like business as usual than the force being partially dormant..

Wasn't Luke training new Jedi? That sounds more like business as usual than the force being partially dormant..
Doesn't the phrase "business as usual" imply some state of equilibrium? I never said the force no longer existed or, per the fluid analogy, people couldn't still swim around in it. Teaching a bunch of kids how to swim is hardly the same as a galactic Sith threat making waves in the pool. I'd be comfortable saying the Force went and layed down for awhile under those conditions. The Force was sleeping, maybe tossing and turning every now and then. it wasn't dead.

This analogy is getting out of hand.

JB1981

So assuming the awakening is indeed that particular moment, it sounds like Snoke is merely sensing Rey's presence in the force for the first time, which is no different from Qui Gon sensing Anakin for the first time ("I sense a vergence in the force" ... "located around a person?" etc.).
In that case why is Rey's existence significant? Is she something special like Anakin? And if so is Luke too far away to sense her too? Or does he just not care?

And if Rey is a special being birthed from the force is she a result of someone tampering with it like Plagueous/Sidious did or is there a different cause behind her awakening?

Basically what I hope to learn in the next films is whether Rey's power manifesting is the awakening in question (which makes her Space Jesus 2: Electric Boogaloo) or is she merely a symptom of a deeper event which is the actual awakening of the force.

Perhaps Luke performed a ritualistic awakening on the island ?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Doesn't the phrase "business as usual" imply some state of equilibrium? I never said the force no longer existed or, per the fluid analogy, people couldn't still swim around in it. Teaching a bunch of kids how to swim is hardly the same as a galactic Sith threat making waves in the pool. I'd be comfortable saying the Force went and layed down for awhile under those conditions. The Force was sleeping, maybe tossing and turning every now and then. it wasn't dead.

This analogy is getting out of hand.

I could definitely be reading too much into the title of the film, but compared with A New Hope or The Phantom Menace, TFA sounds like a monumental event. Anakin Skywalker's existence was supposedly so significant nothing like it had happened in millennia and Rey appears to be more powerful than him at the same stage.

I could definitely be reading too much into the title of the film, but compared with A New Hope or The Phantom Menace, TFA sounds like a monumental event. Anakin Skywalker's existence was supposedly so significant nothing like it had happened in millennia and Rey appears to be more powerful than him at the same stage.
Sure, Anakin was more or less called Space Jesus in the Prequels, but all Rey's been called so far is a nobody. I'd be wary of applying the Dragon Ball Z power level mentality to the vagary of the Force, especially when the only context you've been given is a few tricks, some ace piloting, and a successful fight against a mentally and physically damaged individual. Whether she is the awakening or a by-product of the awakening is a mystery to be explored at a later date.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Rey is actually related to the Emperor (he even has the accent). I don't know how, but that's how I'd want it to be in my head canon. Until of course Lucas Films sets me straight lol.

Rey is actually related to the Emperor (he even has the accent). I don't know how, but that's how I'd want it to be in my head canon. Until of course Lucas Films sets me straight lol.

Daisy said that she thought it was abundantly clear after TFA who who her parents were. This wouldn't make sense right?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Maz rules it out.

(go back to page 16 of this thread)

(Because this thread is a Choose Your Own Adventure now)

"Dear child. I see your eyes. You already know the truth. Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku... they're never coming back... But... there's someone who still could.

Rey: Luke."

Luke can't be her dad becaues Maz just said that the family she's waiting for on Jakku isn't coming back - and then SPECIFICALLY says Luke still could. Thus delineating between "your family" and "Luke Skywalker"

Luke Skywalker can't be her family because if he was that sentence would make zero sense.

Maz doesn't say her family though, she says whomever Rey is waiting for isn't coming back and then says the belonging she's looking for isn't behind her it is ahead, we don't know who dropped her off and she never really mentions it, maybe she doesn't remember. Personally I believe that line was really telling her to stop waiting around because no one is coming back for her there, she's wasting her time by wanting to go back and needs to move forwards in her life. She also suggests someone else can come back at which point Rey suggests Luke, Maz didn't say or suggest Luke, Rey did, and at that point Rey hadn't displayed any actual force powers.

I however really don't see the Obi Wan connection to be honest, in none of the films has it even been hinted at that he has some sort of family elsewhere in secret. All her visual visions had something to do with Anakin or Luke, her past and future, and the closest mention of the character is that Kylo was named after him. If Obi-Wan was a relative of hers I feel like her would have had more of a presence in the film.

The mainline Star Wars films have followed the Skywalker family, there have always been other characters, but the main one has always been a Skywalker. While Kylo is one by lineage, he isn't the main character we followed and the story revolved around.

But hey, I imagine they are either going to draw it out for another film or they are going to get it out the way quickly.

Maz doesn't say her family though

This is all covered on page 16 and 17, yes.

Maz is very obviously talking about Rey's family. She doesn't have to specifically say it, it's obvious who it is she's talking about. It's a conversation. And the conversation wouldn't make any sense if it weren't obvious who the principals were. She IS saying "Stop waiting" to Rey, she is saying "you need to move forward," that's not in question.

That Rey says "Luke" and not Maz doesn't really mean anything as a distinction, because that's exactly where Maz is leading her, just like you'd lead any student to an answer you know is the right one, but they haven't figured out for themselves just yet.

I however really don't see the Obi Wan connection to be honest, in none of the films has it even been hinted at that he has some sort of family elsewhere in secret. All her visual visions had something to do with Anakin or Luke, her past and future, and the closest mention of the character is that Kylo was named after him. If Obi-Wan was a relative of hers I feel like her would have had more of a presence in the film.

Why would it have been hinted to this point? It was also never hinted anywhere in Star Wars that Vader was Luke's dad.

And so far as Obi-Wan having a presence, he speaks directly to her at the end of the vision.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Why would it have been hinted to this point? It was also never hinted anywhere in Star Wars that Vader was Luke's dad.

And so far as Obi-Wan having a presence, he speaks directly to her at the end of the vision.

There were many things they did with Star Wars because they didn't know what would happen afterwards, I could be wrong but I believe the idea wasn't conceived at that point that Vader was his father. With how films are made now and with the story group I don't doubt for a second Rey's parentage wasn't known before filming TFA. Obi-Wan talking to Rey I see as nothing more than how he guided Luke to face his destiny.

The main problem I have with the theory is I don't see the story significance of her being a descendant of Obi Wan, it wouldn't do anything for the story as it currently stands. If she was, then what? she's apparently gifted with the force for some reason when we have this other family line that is supposed to be this powerful lineage of force users. None of her relatives are apparently still around which is why she has gone to Luke, now Star Wars film main character is Obi-Wan's granddaughter? I just don't see it.

I'm always willing to be wrong, we have another 7 months to go, but I just don't see that being Rey's backstory going forward.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

Maz is very obviously talking about Rey's family. She doesn't have to specifically say it, it's obvious who it is she's talking about. It's a conversation. And the conversation wouldn't make any sense if it weren't obvious who the principals were. She IS saying "Stop waiting" to Rey, she is saying "you need to move forward," that's not in question.

That Rey says "Luke" and not Maz doesn't really mean anything as a distinction, because that's exactly where Maz is leading her, just like you'd lead any student to an answer you know is the right one, but they haven't figured out for themselves just yet.

Isn't Darth Vader literally Dark Father in Dutch?

Lokimaru

Because she's connected to LUKE and through Luke Anakin, Hell Yoda speaks to her too. Obi-wan tells her what he told Luke, that these were her first steps (Into a Larger world). In her vision she appeared everywhere Luke had been in the past. You had Luke's Master and Anakin's Master telling there's more to her then she knows. Come on it's all right there.

Obi-Wan talking to Rey I see as nothing more than how he guided Luke to face his destiny.

That's different than saying there's no connection. What you're saying is you saw/heard the connection, you just don't LIKE the implications of it as presented by others. Which is fine! But to suggest there's nothing there at all doesn't make any sense. It's there, you just have your reasons for dismissing it.

The main problem I have with the theory is I don't see the story significance of her being a descendant of Obi Wan

I dunno, there's plenty of significance that could be found there. It's a matter of whether or not a) that's the route Johnson wants to take and b) whether he decided to dig that significance up and shine a spotlight on it for however long he chooses. Which still remains to be seen.

Because she's connected to LUKE

She doesnt' even know he's actually real until halfway through the movie.

Hell Yoda speaks to her too

No, Yoda simply speaks. Obi-Wan Kenobi is the only person in that vision to directly speak to her. There's a difference.

I don't speak Dutch but I know that the idea to make Darth Vader into Anakin Skywalker wasn't arrived at until sometime in 1978.

I believe "Vater" is Father. I'm pretty sure this story was just Lucas making his own IP seem more mythic. Anakin and Vader were two different characters initially. First draft of Empire has no mention of Vader being Luke's father.

Because she's connected to LUKE and through Luke Anakin, Hell Yoda speaks to her too. Obi-wan tells her what he told Luke, that these were her first steps (Into a Larger world). In her vision she appeared everywhere Luke had been in the past. You had Luke's Master and Anakin's Master telling there's more to her then she knows. Come on it's all right there.

Interpretation. You see things how you want to see them. Obi Wan was Luke's "Master" for like a week, tops and Anakin being redeemed means he's a force ghost as well. No reason for Obi Wan to speak to Anakin's descendant instead of Anakin himself.

Let's also be clear that there's no plot-driven reason for Rey's lineage to be intentionally obfuscated. This isn't a "I'm your father" type reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom