• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupraab

Neo Member
I think she is a female clone from lukes hand that Darth Vader has cut him off. At the same time, the Blue Light Sword lost by Luke, which now reappears in TFA.

walei

Since Bail Organa raised Leia and we know that he has contact with Ben between Episode III and IV, I assume that Leia knew of Kenobi before IV.

Mostly likely was told stories of Kenobi while being raised aand stuff since her adopted father was present during the clone wars,

Well yeah definitely both Han and Leia knew of Obiwan, he was even on the millennium falcon en route to the Death Star. But him being a war hero or a mentor to Luke weren't personally experienced by Han and Leia. They probably heard about his greatness second hand but was he really important enough for them to name their only son after his hermit persona?

Probably it's just crazy uncle Luke named him, and it must've killed him that he's named after the man who deformed his beloved grandpa lol.

It's Snokes. Gotta have that "Rey, I am your father" moment in Ep VIII.

(It is totally Luke and honesly don't know why they didn't just do that in VII already).

otm, they are slavishly re-creating the OT and the big revelation goes in the second "darker" movie. bc repeating Empire's structure is the safest thing to do, that's what they will go with.

Faiz

The parents of rey aren't important to the overall storyline. They are prolly nobodies, I mean who leaves their child with Unkar Plutt?

Doesn't Maz say she must look ahead?

I think she will adopt the Skywalker name at the end of the trilogy.

They weren't even her parents. It's been said but bares repeating; she never even acknowledges them as such. Just "my family". That can't be accidental.

Surfinn

She read each draft, worked on the film, provided ADR, spoke to the writer/director regularly, has seen the finished film, and knows what the script for Episode 8 entails... and maintains TFA pretty much reveals who Rey's parents are.

In other words, she's flat-out saying that Episode 8 doesn't have a big reveal or twist re: her parentage.

So unless she's lying, Rey isn't a Kenobi. Or a nobody. Because why would she even bring it up if she was a nobody. It has to be something heavily implied in TFA, and that essentially leaves it as Luke. Which makes sense given the way TFA ends, and the fact it'll be addressed within the first few minutes of Episode 8 in a 'the parentage isn't the point, where it goes from there is the point' way.

As for it not satisfying, I don't know what to say to you. The weird backlash towards TFA and where the story is hinting towards going is one of the most unpleasant things I've come across online fandom wise.

There's a few things to note here. Yes, she knows what's going to happen but it's possible she misspoke and we have no idea whether she's saying "I thought it was revealed she's Luke's daughter" or "Kenobi's grandchild". That still leaves the door wide open. If I were a betting man I'd definitely put my money on her talking about Rey being Luke's daughter, but again, this is inconclusive.

Another thing is, and this is why I'm feeling like she misspoke, TFA was specifically designed to NOT reveal who Rey is, otherwise they would have outright confirmed it in the film. It makes no sense if they designed it as "if you think hard enough, you'll reveal it!", because that's just bad storytelling and writing. This film was meant to have people talking and forming theories until EP8 and possibly even EP9. I thought that was very clear in the film, especially after seeing it like 15 times.

As for your last comment.. nowhere did I say it wouldn't be satisfying (if she ends up being a Skywalker), but with the information we have as of now, I feel like it could be the MOST satisfying route to take, if done right. JJ said in an interview before that he always felt as though anyone could be strong with the force and that it shouldn't have to depend on which family you were born into. I agree with him and this is one of the most crucial pieces of evidence in regard to forming theories that revolve around Rey being "no one". Again, I think they could still make her Luke's daughter and create a strong narrative. There is no "backlash", here, so I'd be a little more careful about how you go about reading posts/throwing judgments around.

I agree, it's not 100% sure, but on a personal level I think it's 100% certain (it's not even about being right or wrong for me, I just love to speculate about these kinds of things).

On the her vision, I do find it interesting that Obi-Wan is calling her out. Specifically mentioning 'Rey'. Yoda has a more generic (re-used) line for example same as Luke. Then there is the whole theory that her Force vision has some overlap with a vision that Kylo has about 'a girl'. And he's shown holding what looks like Obi-Wan's lightsaber in the vision:

The theory (origin of the theory) is that Rey has a vision about Kylo upon touching Anakin's saber and Kylo has a vision about a girl left on Jakku upon touching Obi-Wan's saber. Couple that with the tweet that went out on the official Star Wars twitter a while back:

It's looking like that it's going to be a plot point in future films. And finally I think Kylo's real name being Ben is going to have a more emotional pay-off then it just being his name, from a story point of view.

Interesting post, thanks for this. It's worth noting that Obi-Wan's "Rey" is actually reused dialogue in itself; I believe it comes from his "don't be afraid" line from ANH and is cut to sound like "Rey". However, a much stronger piece of evidence that I would mention in regard to your theory is how they SPECIFICALLY recorded new dialogue delivered from Ewan McGregor ("These are your first steps.."). That seems a little more convincing to me and less likely to be used as a red herring. However, I personally feel like the "steps" line was more foreshadowing Rey literally walking up the steps to get to Luke, referencing her future journey in both a literal and figurative way (taking her first step into a larger world). Though I'm 100% certain Obi-Wan is returning in this story in a huge way either in EP8 or EP9.

FeD.nL

She read each draft, worked on the film, provided ADR, spoke to the writer/director regularly, has seen the finished film, and knows what the script for Episode 8 entails... and maintains TFA pretty much reveals who Rey's parents are.

In other words, she's flat-out saying that Episode 8 doesn't have a big reveal or twist re: her parentage.

So unless she's lying, Rey isn't a Kenobi. Or a nobody. Because why would she even bring it up if she was a nobody. It has to be something heavily implied in TFA, and that essentially leaves it as Luke. Which makes sense given the way TFA ends, and the fact it'll be addressed within the first few minutes of Episode 8 in a 'the parentage isn't the point, where it goes from there is the point' way.

As for it not satisfying, I don't know what to say to you. The weird backlash towards TFA and where the story is hinting towards going is one of the most unpleasant things I've come across online fandom wise.

Except she's been implying there will be some sort of twist in the same interview:

So does she think people are going to be surprised when they find out the truth? 'I'd love to see the look on people's faces,' she says.

In an interview with ET around the release of TFA Blu Ray she was pretty open about the fact that Han Solo isn't her father.

Daisy Ridley said:
So people were like, well like you're Han Solo's daughter. And in my head I was, how do you know, like have you seen the film? Clearly not because I wasn't.

There was also this clue she gave in another interview pre-release for Japanese television:

Daisy Ridley said:
I'm not sure how much I can say. I guess because I said that I'm solitary that's how I begin. That is probably a big clue as to what, uhm, what it is.

Coupled with the fact that in yet another interview with Vulture she had this to say when an interviewer asked her about a Kenobi connection:

Another possibility is that Rey is related to Obi-Wan Kenobi. This theory is supported by her Kenobi-like costume, dexterity with Jedi mind tricks, and love of solitude. What does she think about that? ”We will see in a year," Ridley said. ”Just sit tight on that question."

The general idea is that she's Luke Skywalker's daughter, so why would she love to see the look on people's faces?

Daisy has been shown to be pretty open (as she can be), basically debunking the Han Solo is her father theory.

That brings us to the last statements, that she starts out solitary is a big clue. Both Anakin and Luke didn't start out solitary when they were introduced to the audience, they were both surrounded by family and had their friends. The only other character that gets introduced to us as someone in solitude is Obi-Wan.

You're doing great work collecting all that FeD.nL.

All aboard the Kenobi train!

dHoshAJ.gif

Kathleen Kennedy said the mainline movies were about the Skywalkers. Put that darn thing to rest.
It makes no sense.

ubique

That brings us to the last statements, that she starts out solitary is a big clue. Both Anakin and Luke didn't start out solitary when they were introduced to the audience, they were both surrounded by family and had their friends. The only other character that gets introduced to us as someone in solitude is Obi-Wan.

Well that's a clue in the opinion of that Vulture journalist. It looks to me like a really desperate attempt to find poetry that rhymes in the franchise. You know who else starts out solitary? Elan Sleazebaggano

Frankly if we're just gonna try to dissect the replies of an actress who's contractually obligated to be vague about these things, we might as well hire a psychic

FeD.nL

Well that's a clue in the opinion of that Vulture journalist. It looks to me like a really desperate attempt to find poetry that rhymes in the franchise. You know who else starts out solitary? Elan Sleazebaggano

Frankly if we're just gonna try to dissect the replies of an actress who's contractually obligated to be vague about these things, we might as well hire a psychic

Well the clue was given by Daisy herself in the interview for Japanese television, that happened around the release of TFA.

Her response to the Vulture journalist happened a year later around the release of the documentary 'The Eagle Huntress' for which she provides the VO.

So it's not a desperate attempt to find poetry by the journalist. It's basically Daisy giving the clue in an interview. And a journalist following up on it nearly a year later.

ubique

Well the clue was given by Daisy herself in the interview for Japanese television, that happened around the release of TFA.

Her response to the Vulture journalist happened a year later around the release of the documentary 'The Eagle Huntress' for which she provides the VO.

So it's not a desperate attempt to find poetry by the journalist. It's basically Daisy giving the clue in an interview. And a journalist following up on it nearly a year later.

Oh, okay. Well, in that case I apologize for saying she might be related to Sleazebaggano and I withdraw my suggestion to hire a psychic

Alienous

They really can't have an "I am your father" moment with any character other than Luke, can they? And considering how unoriginal the direction for Episode 7 was they're bound to have an "I am your father" moment.

Emarv

Whatever it is, I have a decent amount of trust in Rian Johnson to at least write it in an interesting way. I like to think his script will avoid too much pandering to Empire tropes. Of course, I'm a pretty big Rian Johnson fan.

phanphare

Banned
Kathleen Kennedy said the mainline movies were about the Skywalkers. Put that darn thing to rest.
It makes no sense.

people keep bringing this up and I'm not sure why

kylo ren

not to mention luke himself is in episode 7 and 8, at least

plus if this kenobi theory isn't correct the force awakens will have been the first mainline star wars movie not to feature a kenobi

it makes perfect sense

I'm sure this has been discussed in the thread, but how does Rey being a Kenobi work? I mean, because of her age they'd have to explain how she is his granddaughter, so you'd have to get into when Kenobi had the time to betray Jedi code (during clone wars behind the scenes maybe, or as a bored old hermit on Tatooine) and hook up with someone, and then at least touch upon what happened to his offspring and how that led to his grandkid being left on Tatooine 2.0. I like the idea of her being a Kenobi, but it seems like it would be a bit inelegant to explain.

frontieruk

However, a much stronger piece of evidence that I would mention in regard to your theory is how they SPECIFICALLY recorded new dialogue delivered from Ewan McGregor ("These are your first steps.."). That seems a little more convincing to me and less likely to be used as a red herring.

Or you know as with everything else in TFA it could just be mirroring the scene between Obi and Luke on the Falcon where Obi gets Luke to feel the force on demand for the first time and tells him "you've taken your first step into a larger world"

Rey having seen the past and the future in her vision could be seen as different 'steps'.

As Obi trained Anakin, he trained Luke it would make sense that his spirit would would reveal itself to another Skywalker about to embark on the path of the force, perhaps even influencing the vision to help Rey choose the path of light?

dHoshAJ.gif

It makes no sense.

Her being a Kenobi while Kylo is an evil Skywalker is like poetry... it rhymes.

I'm sure this has been discussed in the thread, but how does Rey being a Kenobi work? I mean, because of her age they'd have to explain how she is his granddaughter, so you'd have to get into when Kenobi had the time to betray Jedi code (during clone wars behind the scenes maybe, or as a bored old hermit on Tatooine) and hook up with someone, and then at least touch upon what happened to his offspring and how that led to his grandkid being left on Tatooine 2.0. I like the idea of her being a Kenobi, but it seems like it would be a bit inelegant to explain.

Long before Clone Wars they hook up, her position as the future ruler of Mandalore and Obi-Wan with the Jedi order they take the kid and hide it away(thus why it isn't directly mentioned in Clone Wars).
Would also make sense with a group like Deathwatch around and having it out for her.
They legitimately had a history it isn't just fan shipping and such.

But hey its just the theory.

platakul

Banned
It would be inelegant to explain in ep8 yea, but the idea of Obiwan falling in love in his exile years would be a good story. Especially since he'd likely be hesitant given what love had done to Anakin

Sex isn't against the Jedi Code. They're discouraged from having attachments. So no relationships. But quite a lot of them have secret ones anyways.

Aside from that, they don't have to get into specifics at all in this movie. They certainly didn't when they reveal Luke and Leia to be siblings. Simply say he had a child and that child was Rey's parent. They could leave it at that or go into specifics at another time or in another format.

Pizza

i actually hope she's a weird reincarnation of Vader

A second force-baby to bring balance to the force again. I could dig it more than her being someone's spawn like a soap opera. Her and Luke are connected through the force rather than a physical lineage and I think that's more interesting

But she'll be Luke's kid and kylo will realize "oh I should be a good guy" and Change his mind.

I'd actually prefer to see kylo succeed in being evil though, because his idol is his head canon version of Vader and he wants to be evil SO BADLY. Like, let the guy succeed

My impression walking out of the theater was that she was OB1's granddaughter. I even texted a die hard fan and he told me that I was crazy. Something about Luke's music playing when Rey was using The Force. Anyway, I came across this youtube video explaining the connections:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OstlcHLRHg8

I checked out at the Joan of Arc stuff, but really like the end of this video where he talks about the visions and how Kylo had visions of a younger and or masked Rey.

There are a lot of things I didn't know (animated series stuff) or notice, but there were enough things for my subconscious to trigger a strong connection between the two.

I highly doubt they're going to draw from that Clone Wars relationship to explain Rey's origin :p

If its Obi-Wan it doesn't really matter, they will have to explain it to half the audience anyway.
Now if it was some bullshit like Rebels showing Luke with a girlfriend on Tatooine who ended up as the mom...

Honestly though lately Lucasfilm doesn't care if you are informed on things or not.
Just look at Rogue One and the galaxy situation in TFA, they expect people to look elsewhere for answers.

Gotchaye

I mean, the main reason to doubt it's Obi-Wan is just that that requires a lot more boring exposition for not much gain. It's not that it's hugely weirder for Obi-Wan to have had a secret kid who had a secret kid who was abandoned on Jakku than for Luke to have had a secret kid who was abandoned on Jakku, but if you're the one writing the story this seems like malpractice.

Having Rey be Luke's (or for that matter Leia's) kid is a lot easier to explain because of course we don't know what Luke's been up to since Episode 6, and Luke is right there. Obi-Wan hasn't even been a real character since Episode 4 - you have to explain why he's important - and then people who remember him are going to need an explanation for why this kid of his never came up in the original trilogy. And then you're going to need someone to explain this who has to explain how they know about it in the first place. It also then becomes a lot harder to link her to other characters in significant ways. "I am your father" and "I am your aunt" and "I am your cousin" instantly establish relationships in ways that "Your grandfather was my first teacher" and "I saw your grandfather die and apparently he helped me escape the Death Star but I never spoke to him" and "Yeah wasn't he like some old guy my parents met once and then for some reason they named me after him?" just don't. This is Spaceballs.

Obi-Wan having a kid with Satine would ruin his character. And come out of no where within the films.

Yeah and it would have to be a granddaughter, so it's not as simple as "obi wan and satine from that show most of you didn't see actually had a secret kid". I'd be fine with it, but I don't see it happening because of it appearing as too complicated of a plot thread. Unless they dedicate a Kenobi anthology movie to it, I guess.

My guess is still that she is Luke's kid. I hope I'm wrong!

Edit: explained better above. Huge props to Rian Johnson if we get a convoluted "I am your great-aunt, Rey" scene somehow though. *crosses fingers*

kenobi having a secret lover who had a secret kid who hooked up with another secret person who had rey is dumb and so is rey somehow being just obi wans kid

why would you want to overcomplicate this

Star wars is supposed to be getting simpler

The kenobi thing has merit as to why they wont do a film on him yet..makes sense to get a big reveal in episode 8 or 9 then make a kenobi side film about how that all went down

kenobi having a secret lover who had a secret kid who hooked up with another secret person who had rey is dumb and so is rey somehow being just obi wans kid

she will be simply a reincarnate kenobi like the dalai lama. that's just the simplest solution and fits virgin born anakin. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Where is all this "secret kid of a secret kid" stuff coming from? I feel like people who don't like the idea are over complicating it.

Obi Wan has had romance in his storyline before. All it would need to be is Satine, discovering she's pregnant decides not to tell Obi Wan. Their lives already have them barely in contact with each other and with Obi Wan's decision to watch over Luke as he's raised, he wouldn't look for her either.

Satine's child would be raised openly as her child. The kid grows to be an adult and has their own relationship and child. That child is Rey.

None of it is secret secret hush hush like the Skywalker twins. It's just not made known to Obi Wan and Satine doesn't talk about who her child's father is.

Doesn't even have to be Satine, she's just conveinent because the nature of her relationship with Obi Wan leans towards believeably not telling him.

How is it an overcomplication,
Obi-Wan is really the only one that matters.

Satine is irrelevant (unless they want to do some Mandalore shit.)
Satine however makes Obi-Wan's side in all this better.

Gotchaye

Where is all this "secret kid of a secret kid" stuff coming from? I feel like people who don't like the idea are over complicating it.

Obi Wan has had romance in his storyline before. All it would need to be is Satine, discovering she's pregnant decides to tell Obi Wan. Their lives already have them barely in contact with each other and with Obi Wan's decision to watch over Luke as he's raised, he wouldn't look for her either.

Satine's child would be raised openly as her child. The kid grows to be an adult and has their own relationship and child. That child is Rey.

None of it is secret secret hush hush like the Skywalker twins. It's just not made known to Obi Wan and Satine doesn't talk about who her child's father is.

Doesn't even have to be Satine, she's just conveinent because the nature of her relationship with Obi Wan leans towards believeably not telling him.

This is really complicated!

Who is this Obi-Wan guy? Who the hell is Satine? Why did Obi-Wan not know anything about his kid? Why is this the least bit significant? And then why did Rey's parents abandon her on Jakku?

You need someone to explain all of this, and no existing character can report on all of this stuff as first-hand knowledge. Maybe this is worth doing if it opens up new storytelling opportunities but this doesn't. Who cares if she's Obi-Wan's granddaughter? You could have just had her be some random force-sensitive orphan, and then you save minutes of runtime in Episode 8. Or if you're wanting to do this so that she's got a relationship with other characters then obviously you should make her Luke's kid instead.

Who is this Obi-Wan guy? Who the hell is Satine? Why did Obi-Wan not know anything about his kid? Why is this the least bit significant? And then why did Rey's parents abandon her on Jakku?

You need someone to explain all of this, and no existing character can report on all of this stuff as first-hand knowledge. Maybe this is worth doing if it opens up new storytelling opportunities but this doesn't. Who cares if she's Obi-Wan's granddaughter? You could have just had her be some random force-sensitive orphan, and then you save minutes of runtime in Episode 8. Or if you're wanting to do this so that she's got a relationship with other characters then obviously you should make her Luke's kid instead.

It's not complicated and you don't need to have all of this explained anymore than people needed to know how Luke and Leia could be twins and not know while also not knowing that Vader was their father.

And the sillyness of "Who is Obi-wan?" After he's been in 5 of the 7 movies and the entirety of The Clone Wars is a perfect example of trying to make everything seem more complicated than it is. Anyone who goes to watch Star Wars Episode 8 is going to either be familiar with the mainline movies or at the very very VERY least understand that they're jumping into an established universe late and will not understand everything.

Rey's grandmother could be Satine or it could be someone else. Being Satine makes it a nice nod to The Clone Wars and makes sense though. They're going to have to explain why Rey was abandoned anyways, so that doesn't change. And they will have to explain why Rey is significant to Luke and Kylo already as well.

"Who is this Obi Wan guy" is a silly question, he's been seen on screen played by an actor (or animated/voiced), in every single Star Wars incarnation (six movies, Clone Wars, Rebels) except VII, and there he was still present as a voice. A main character is named after him, his continued presence is felt and I can almost guarantee his space ghost didn't float off into the ether after ROTJ.

Details on Satine or his relationships are unnecessary in the context of the film. Did we ever see Padme in the OT? Her relationship to Vader was never explored because it didn't matter. Rey's parents are still a mystery, one as easy to handwave as "evil galactic space Historian Snoke found out that the Kenobi lineage continued and may constitute a secondary threat after Luke, so her parents hid her away to protect her. He found them and killed them, now Rey has motivation to defeat Snoke." As far as revealing her lineage for newbies to TFA "Rey: Did you know my parents? Luke: No, but I knew your grandfather. He was a great jedi and a dear friend [echo OT]. Would you like to meet him?"

Honestly, this is way simpler than however the hell Anakin's saber ended up with Maz, one which was handled with the convenient "another story for another time".

frontieruk

It's not complicated and you don't need to have all of this explained anymore than people needed to know how Luke and Leia could be twins and not know while also not knowing that Vader was their father.

And the sillyness of "Who is Obi-wan?" After he's been in 5 of the 7 movies and the entirety of The Clone Wars is a perfect example of trying to make everything seem more complicated than it is. Anyone who goes to watch Star Wars Episode 8 is going to either be familiar with the mainline movies or at the very very VERY least understand that they're jumping into an established universe late and will not understand everything.

Rey's grandmother could be Satine or it could be someone else. Being Satine makes it a nice nod to The Clone Wars and makes sense though. They're going to have to explain why Rey was abandoned anyways, so that doesn't change. And they will have to explain why Rey is significant to Luke and Kylo already as well.

You're assuming that TFA isn't going to be be some people's first exposure to Star Wars, or did you miss all the explanation of well established characters throughout the movie explaining who they are and their importance to the story? (Which btw Obi Wan wasn't one of, so the vocal appearance is more a nod to fans than a hint I'd say)

Apologies if this has already been mentioned in this thread (27 pages is too much to backread), but whenever the theories about Luke being Rey's father come up, I'm reminded of Maz's lines in TFA. I haven't seen TFA in a while, so my memory is hazy, but I thought after Rey touches the lightsaber and has her visions, Maz says something to the effect of "your old family abandoned you, but you have a new family waiting for you, a.k.a. Luke." I'm definitely paraphrasing, and maybe I'm adding too much of my own interpretation, but I do remember thinking that Maz's lines implied that Luke was not Rey's old family. Am I totally misremembering what Maz said in that scene?

Anyways, if I'm remembering Maz's lines correctly, that evidence combined with Daisy Ridley's quotes here make me think that Rey is a nobody.

If she's Obi Wan's grandkid they might as well put a "Find out their story in the Obi Wan: A Star Wars Story trilogy!"ad in the corner during the reveal.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned in this thread (27 pages is too much to backread), but whenever the theories about Luke being Rey's father come up, I'm reminded of Maz's lines in TFA. I haven't seen TFA in a while, so my memory is hazy, but I thought after Rey touches the lightsaber and has her visions, Maz says something to the effect of "your old family abandoned you, but you have a new family waiting for you, a.k.a. Luke." I'm definitely paraphrasing, and maybe I'm adding too much of my own interpretation, but I do remember thinking that Maz's lines implied that Luke was not Rey's old family. Am I totally misremembering what Maz said in that scene?

Anyways, if I'm remembering Maz's lines correctly, that evidence combined with Daisy Ridley's quotes here make me think that Rey is a nobody.

It was:

Dear child. I see your eyes. You already know the truth. Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku...they're never coming back. But there's someone who still could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom