• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas - Fort Worth |OT| The Big D & Cowtown

Oh, can anyone explain why everyone goes like a max 60 in all lanes on US 75 even though it is a 70mph road through downtown and basically up through Plano?

Like does nobody know that 70mph is the speed limit? I don't get it. Even in the left lane people are going under the speed limit. Why? I see the signs. Do they? And yeah, this is in clear, beautiful weather conditions.

And DNT, once it hits 70mph, people still kind of go under that. Although there are some intense curves that are at least justifiable for going under. None of that on 75.

Oh, can anyone explain why everyone goes like a max 60 in all lanes on US 75 even though it is a 70mph road through downtown and basically up through Plano?

Like does nobody know that 70mph is the speed limit? I don't get it. Even in the left lane people are going under the speed limit. Why? I see the signs. Do they? And yeah, this is in clear, beautiful weather conditions.

And DNT, once it hits 70mph, people still kind of go under that. Although there are some intense curves that are at least justifiable for going under. None of that on 75.

Drives me insane. They continue doing it even after passing a speed limit sign. Drivers have just gotten really bad in Dallas recently. Not sure what's causing it.

Drives me insane. They continue doing it even after passing a speed limit sign. Drivers have just gotten really bad in Dallas recently. Not sure what's causing it.
Illegal immigration. It's almost impossible to get pulled over on 75, there's no room. George Bush has all the troopers.

I'm generally a defensive, careful driver. Driving for 8 years now and zero crashes or tickets in both FL and TX. But I've been driven to being that aggressive person. Like sarcastically passing people going under the speed limit by 10-20mph. Weaving in and out aggressively to get around people going 60. And otherwise doing my best in pointing out just WTF behavior.

I feel dirty. Ugh.

NR1

Bill Clinton will be in Dallas stumping for Hillary on Monday. No details on when and where yet. Could be a fun opportunity to at least meet a former president even if you're not a Hillary supporter. I imagine Jeb and George will be holding events too soon for Texas' March 1 primary.

$2700 for a backstage visit will Bill and a photo op. According to the campaign, he will be in Laredo until 11:30 AM that morning so…The backstage portion of the event will take place directly before the public rally. This will be a small group (about 50) and each person will have a moment to shake hands, greet President Clinton and ask a quick question. Everyone will also have a photograph opportunity. They have also requested a private VIP section for the participants in the general rally, but this is not confirmed at this time.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/events/tickets/1735919/?raiser=112322

Cagey

Banned
Assuming final clearance comes through, my wife and I should be moving to Dallas in the next few months. We've taken turns looking for places that fit what we want from commute, budget, size, all of that, but a couple questions kept popping up.

What's the best time to actually look for an apartment in Dallas? How far in advance do places rent, is there typically high demand or high supply?

What we're used to is the almost no supply available, 30-45 days in advance of move-in sweet spot from NYC.

Pagusas

Elden Member

the DNT changes speeds from 65 - 75 depending on what part you are on. (Hell right now around Plano/Frisco its set at 60 i believe around the construction near Willow Bend) I get more annoyed at people who do 75 through the construction zone than those that dont do 75 in that area. Its a speed limit, not a speed minimum (which I believe the minimum on the DNT is 45)

Assuming final clearance comes through, my wife and I should be moving to Dallas in the next few months. We've taken turns looking for places that fit what we want from commute, budget, size, all of that, but a couple questions kept popping up.

What's the best time to actually look for an apartment in Dallas? How far in advance do places rent, is there typically high demand or high supply?

What we're used to is the almost no supply available, 30-45 days in advance of move-in sweet spot from NYC.

What area will you be working in? We started out our Dallas move by living in Valley Ranch (Far North Irving) and it took 1 month for our appartment to be ready. we paid $1080/month for a 1 bedroom for 1 year before we bought a house. Depending on your budget and city of desire the availality and time table will be different. Around me in North Frisco you can get get a 3 Bedroom available now for 2k a month, or a 2 bedroom for around 1.5/1.6 also available now, very nice apts.

Cagey

Banned
What area will you be working in? We started out our Dallas move by living in Valley Ranch (Far North Irving) and it took 1 month for our appartment to be ready. we paid $1080/month for a 1 bedroom for 1 year before we bought a house. Depending on your budget and city of desire the availality and time table will be different. Around me in North Frisco you can get get a 3 Bedroom available now for 2k a month, or a 2 bedroom for around 1.5/1.6 also available now, very nice apts.

I'll be working in the downtown area, she'll be working from a home office.

A lot of places we've looked at have availability immediately, which is encouraging if it's typical and will be like that in a few months time. How much notice does a renter need to give before not renewing a lease? Given it's 30 days in NY and 60 days in NJ, that dictates apartment availability 30-60+ days out.

Pagusas

Elden Member

A lot of places we've looked at have availability immediately, which is encouraging if it's typical and will be like that in a few months time. How much notice does a renter need to give before not renewing a lease? Given it's 30 days in NY and 60 days in NJ, that dictates apartment availability 30-60+ days out.

my last apartment it was 30 days before the final rent billing (which realistically meant 45 days as the final rent billing was done 15 days before due). 60 days is best practice.

Glad to hear you are finding things, careful of your neighborhood choice, especially if you are living near downtown. People on here should be able to steer you in the right direction.

akileese

We live in Cambria at Coyote Ridge in Carrollton. It's right by 121 and 35E and very close to the DART as well. Our 3 bedroom was quoted for a new term at $1472 (but we're giving up as we're moving into a house in Fort Worth instead for less money and more space). We love it here but just needed more space. I highly suggest checking this place out and even if you can't find a place here, there are like 15 different complexes in a five mile radius all around the same price.

Most places in Carrollton require 60 days notice as far as I can tell. I've never seen a place with 30 around here and even the house we're renting requires 45.

the DNT changes speeds from 65 - 75 depending on what part you are on. (Hell right now around Plano/Frisco its set at 60 i believe around the construction near Willow Bend) I get more annoyed at people who do 75 through the construction zone than those that dont do 75 in that area. Its a speed limit, not a speed minimum (which I believe the minimum on the DNT is 45)

Uhhhh would I hope someone going anywhere near 45 on DNT for no legitimate reason gets their license nuked. They'd deserve it. Insanely dangerous to be going that speed for no legitimate reason when the normal posted road speed is 70 or 75. Even 60.

And yeah speed limits vary, but that's any road. And I of course understand construction speed limits. That's not the problem. It's the driver's responsibility to pay attention to road signs and adjust their speed as speed limits change.

It's when the road is not in a construction zone and conditions are clear, people going well below the posted speed limit in all lanes. So that means the left one too. That is not normal or acceptable.

Iorv3th

I don't run in to too many slow drivers. Though I am on 35 more and that's 75. Traffic can suck though. Will be glad when they finish making it 6 lanes on each side.

Depends on how nice of a place it is and area. I lived in an apartment in lewisville (north of dallas) and 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment with water included was 750 a month. That was 8 or 9 years ago though.

There really isn't a moving date like in Boston or other areas. It's just whenever there is availability. You probably won't have trouble though with that. Probably be good to start looking a month or two before hand just to be sure if you can. That way if someones lease is expiring they can move you in.

Raven117

I don't understand this either. Im originally from Houston, and freeways are 80mph+ affairs. Dallas . .. 60.

NR1

I'm going to be up in the Denton area. I don't know if this affects your answer.

I love Alamo here in Houston. So great!

Denton is a good ways north of Dallas. There are 2 Alamo's currently (Dallas and Richardson), with a 3rd soon in Irving.

Not too much closer, but damn fine nonetheless and worthy of mention, is the iPic Theater in McKinney/Fairview. I go there about twice a year--- expect to pay no less than $25 for a basic seat or $30 for a premium seat. Its a fun treat.

And legal immigration from idiot Californians.

nahhhh

I am back now from my visit (been back actually just didn't get a change to post).

And If I remember correctly, I drove on the 75 South coming from Richardson into Dallas, and yes everyone was driving so slowww. I thought that's just how yall folk drive so I joined in on the grandma speeds

My favorite part of the trip was just walking around the city. I really only walked from the Reunion Tower to the aquarium but it was a great walk. I love how a lot of the buildings are made of brick. A nice change, as everything in San Fran/Oakland is industrial.

I got a "CityPass" (a mistake really).

I went to the Perot Museum, Arboretum, Reunion Tower, the Aquarium and a Mavs game. All were OK, but I really didn't feel like I was in Dallas.

Overall an ok trip but if I ever go again I'm definitely skipping the touristy things and just exploring the city.

Oh also, are there more Thunder fans than Mavs fans in Dallas? It sure felt that way.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Denton is a good ways north of Dallas. There are 2 Alamo's currently (Dallas and Richardson), with a 3rd soon in Irving.

Not too much closer, but damn fine nonetheless and worthy of mention, is the iPic Theater in McKinney/Fairview. I go there about twice a year--- expect to pay no less than $25 for a basic seat or $30 for a premium seat. Its a fun treat.

There is an Alamo being build right now 5 minutes from me In Frisco/Little Elm, at 423 and Main. The foundation is already laid and they've started structural construction. If it goes as fast as others it'll be up by summer.

https://drafthouse.com/news/alamo-is-bringing-big-things-to-little-elm-tx

Anybody late for work, raise your hands! Lol.

I'm seriously sitting here in my room fully dressed and everything, but fnck leaving the house right now lol. My co-worker just said it's a shit show in Las Colinas right now so I'm chillin' haha.

It's rain, you'll live. Not sure why we turn into California at the first drop these days.

Tbh I'm more concerned about the strong winds and flooding since I've got a tiny and lowered car.

Looks like it's about to get done though, I'm just hoping an 18 wheeler doesn't flip on PGBT(like it has in a few highways) so I'll probably head out in a bit.

Anybody late for work, raise your hands! Lol.

I'm seriously sitting here in my room fully dressed and everything, but fnck leaving the house right now lol. My co-worker just said it's a shit show in Las Colinas right now so I'm chillin' haha.

dat work from home status, idgaf.

wait wat

akileese

Bad weather rolling through tonight. Be safe DFWgaf. First storm since moving to Fort Worth. It's awesome to not have to worry about who gets the covered spot now that we have a two car garage.

E: Had to get into the downstairs bathroom! Sirens were going off from Trophy Club and (I think?) Woodward springs..or something, which is the giant subdivision we live in. Never got the all clear but the warnings are over. Very violent winds and the possibility of hail so be safe all!

Still dry out here in the Arlington/Grand Prairie border.

My car is in the garage but we've got 3 other cars outside... really hoping the hail threat lessens.

Stay safe y'all.

Edit: And as if on cue, 10 mins after I said it was dry... the rain's here... yay.

First bit of rain in the downtown Dallas area. I'm sure I'll sleep like a baby!

Edit: Hopefully there actually isn't hail, though. Being from FL, I'm not used to that. I don't want my car hurt. :(

akileese

Plenty of people on facebook posting pics of golf ball sized hail, but none of the potential tennis ball sized hail that WFAA said could come.

All in all a pretty nasty fucking night of weather.

Pagusas

Elden Member
up in North West Frisco we were ok, but alot of our coworkers in Plano have major roof and car damage from the hail last night. One person is getting their whole roof replaced because of this!

It was okay over here too, just some pea sized hail. Even up in the Coppell/Irving/DFW Airport corner was fine, my dad's car didn't get any hail damage at all and everyone on TV was saying that the hail over there was gnarly.

akileese

up in North West Frisco we were ok, but alot of our coworkers in Plano have major roof and car damage from the hail last night. One person is getting their whole roof replaced because of this!

So I popped by the old apartment today as my wife and I are still emptying it out. I noticed 4 broken windshields. This was in Carrollton by 121. Feel bad for everyone but glad we lucked out here.

Sounds like we have the potential for another stormy day. Everyone battening down the hatches?

Ugh.

Been looking at the sky all day and kinda shit my pants when the sun was shining bright as fnck over Las Colinas a few hours ago lol. Everyone's been saying that if the sun is out, we're in for a rough afternoon.

But it looks like everything's firing off west, here's hoping that stuff doesn't make it out here.

So I saw that another gun store was broken into in Arlington where over 40 guns were stolen on the news.

http://www.fox4news.com/news/118781880-story

Didn't this happen not too long ago in Plano where a gun shop had over 100 weapons stolen.

Do these stores have zero regulations in regards to security? I mean how hard is it to add shutters. Or possibly lock away all display weapons in the back in a cage instead of leaving them in glass display cases. Who cares if it takes employees an extra hour to close. This is ridiculous and should be easily deterred, instead it's like freaking Detroit in Robocop when Red from that 70s show stole those guns.

Cagey

Banned
Thanks for the advice and answers from the posters above. Wife and I settled on a place and we're moving to Dallas at the end of May.

Is Time Warner Cable in Dallas as incompetent, overpriced, terrible, and possibly evil as it is in NYC?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Thanks for the advice and answers from the posters above. Wife and I settled on a place and we're moving to Dallas at the end of May.

Is Time Warner Cable in Dallas as incompetent, overpriced, terrible, and possibly evil as it is in NYC?

Eh, I used them in Valley Ranch while I was there, not a single down day or trouble. Suddenlink on the other hand... terrible. ATT is known for terrible service here too, though their new fiber network seems pretty good.

Top Bottom