• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas Mayor Says He’s More Fearful Of Armed White Men Than Syrian Refugees

Status
Not open for further replies.
The average law abiding gun owner due to the accidental nature of gun violence is still note dangerous than these refugees. When you factor in the angry oath keeping white militant factor, then it becomes scary.

Statistically it's not even debatable. The chances of being killed by an actual ISIS terrorist, let alone an innocent Syrian refugee, pale in comparison to the chances of being killed by run of the mill gun violence in America.

I don't think using statistics to combat irrational fear really works all that well. It's like how anti-vaxxers ignore actual science.

Toa TAK

Banned
Holy shit, I never thought I'd see the day, but the man is spot on. Quoted scripture and all. Good on him. Set the right example, man.

giphy.gif

I've been making the same arguments when I was replying to some racist BS on my facebook feeds from otherwise sympathetic individuals with other liberal views (I am gay so most of my friends are LGBT too but many of them are apolitical beyond the usual LGBT causes so I just chalk it up to ignorance).

Glad he isn't afraid of the backlash he will no doubt receive. Good on him.

Doubt it. Big cities tend to be bluer and Democratic. There is actually a trend that while Democrats are losing state and other smaller local elections, they are gaining ground in big cities

What he's saying probably isn't even controversial, particularly on left-leaning GAF. In fact, I'd say the shocking part is "Mayor of Dallas Texas is a Democrat."

Most big cities are now controlled by Democratic mayors, even in otherwise very red states. Salt Lake City, for instance just elected an openly lesbian mayor.

Henkka

Banned
That's good stuff, but I don't think lines like

are actually all that helpful, for anyone.

That said, he's 100% correct here

Hmm. While I support taking in Syrians, I still don't think it's right to use religious justification for policy decisions. Even when it's policies we happen to agree with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
99% of the time someone says "welp" it means "wow I can't believe this guy said this ballsy, completely incorrect thing"

Doubt it. Big cities tend to be bluer and Democratic. There is actually a trend that while Democrats are losing state and other smaller local elections, they are gaining ground in big cities.

Yep. People should be more worried about Sherrod Brown, an unabashedly liberal senator facing a midterm electorate in 2018 Ohio, saying something similar a couple of days ago.

But no one will probably care three years from now.

Futureman

U.S. mayor says what any rational American is thinking.

I mean you can be worried about Syrian refugees and cautious about our immigration/refugee policies but it's way more likely that some nut with a gun will kill you at a movie theater.

Henkka

Banned
Right-wing white terrorism death count in America almost doubles the jihadists since 9/11.

Well... No shit. White people make up around 70% of the US. Tiny, tiny portion of those people are violent white supremacists. Muslims are 0.6% of the US. Tiny, tiny portion of those people are violent jihadists, so almost no one.

All I'm saying is if someone says "White people commit more terrorism in the US!" like it's some kind of revelation when white people make up 70% of the population, that person is dumb as a bag of bricks.

Malyse

Well... No shit. White people make up around 70% of the US. Tiny, tiny portion of those people are violent white supremacists. Muslims are 0.6% of the US. Tiny, tiny portion of those people are violent jihadists, so almost no one.

All I'm saying is if someone says "White people commit more terrorism in the US!" like it's some kind of revelation when white people make up 70% of the population, that person is dumb as a bag of bricks.

Naw, dumb as rocks would be wanting to register and track all the Muslims in America.

01ebe20fab1558ebb9d8e66adefc133d.500x372x25.gif

dabig2

You would be surprised on just how much of a revelation that is to your average American. Also, it's used not as a revelation but for perspective. Too many people fear-monger Muslims, foreign or home-bred, while also doing everything they can NOT to address the very real problem of home grown terrorism (when you're white).

ezrarh

I agree with this man - it's what I've been saying. Armed Americans have killed more Americans than any Muslim terrorists have. You can count the deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan and it still wouldn't even be close.

Downhome

This isn't shocking. Dallas is the second most liberal city in Texas, just behind Austin I do believe. I'd be more shocked if he didn't think like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom