• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

H09sXRt.png
jbwdcEcWG4uOKu.png

Hope's Peak Academy is a government-funded private high school recognized all across the nation as the cradle of hope and prosperity, providing a complete education for "ultimate" students of all stripes.

Thanks to a national lottery, one extremely lucky but otherwise ordinary student—Makoto Naegi—has been chosen to attend this prestigious institution.

But when Makoto arrives for his first day of class, he suddenly falls unconscious, and when he wakes up he finds himself in a classroom within the school—with the windows barred and the doors locked. As he explores the abandoned, dirty halls, it becomes clear that something is very wrong. He and his new classmates make their way to the gymnasium, where a demented robotic bear, calling himself Monokuma and claiming to be the school's headmaster, makes a declaration: "You're all going to be living here from now on. If you want to go free, your only choice...is murder."

And so...fifteen high school students gathered from across the country have been imprisoned. Their strength, their commitment, their very humanity will be tested time and time again. Why must they clash in these class trials? Who's the mastermind behind it all? And what is this shadowy figure really after? The battle against the looming, invisible enemy known only as despair is about to begin...

zzlayVM.png

j8kgxdJwihczL.png

Developer: Spike. Spike Chunsoft
Publisher: NIS America
Platforms: Vita
Release Date:
Japan: October 10, 2013
USA: February 11, 2014
EU/AUS: February 14, 2014
MSRP: 39.99 USD/ 29.99 GBP/ 39.99 EUR/
Packaging (Regular Edition/ NISA Limited Edition):

jA0mIiYEondSD.png

Daily Life:
  • Interact with characters, build relationships, collect Monokuma Medals, explore Hope's Peak Academy
Deadly Life:
  • Invesigate for evidence and clues to solve the murder
Class Trials:
  • Nonstop Debate: Use Truth Bullets to shoot down contradiciting evidence being brought up by your classmates
  • Hangman's Gambit: Shoot down letters to form an important clue
  • Bullet Talk Battle: Take part in a rhythm debate against another student
  • Closing Argument: Figure out what exactly happened by piecing together the clues
School Life:
  • A new mode exclusive to the Vita version where you can build relationships with your favorite character without no silly murder plot getting in the way
jbkW5xACIL3hDA.png

88tJke8.png
KBLg6Nq.png

1HG16s2.png
sil1cUy.png

7La39Z7.png
wpgdzHG.png

27XcOUG.png
GGtFhTR.png

dMDl2ME.png
cpeA4ae.png

yGxAOTV.png
4pTDpWP.png

ShvyiFL.png
NP1zSnV.png

xsIcXcV.png
rBXtLys.png

j2Kr9o2N5gup2.png

j3dC3Dq8Le0iD.png

Note: Trailer 2 have spoilers in them. Don't watch if you don't want to get hinted at plot developments.

jyq3m7tQuI29u.png

Gamesradar - 4/5
Gamingtrend - 85/100
Hardcore Gamer - 4/5
EGM - 9/10
ZTGD - 9/10
Game Informer - 8.5/10
PushSquare - 8/10
PSNStores - 5/5
Awesomegames - 9/10
ExpansiveDLC - 9.5/10
Twinfinite - 5/5
Japanator - 9/10
RPGFan - 90/100
RPGsite - 10/10
Destructoid - 8.5/10

jbsrXfI1jh9rL1.png

Didn't Japan get two games in their Vita release?
Yes, but they also got the two games originally on the PSP while the West didn't. Localizing two games for the price of one just wouldn't be smart.

So will Super Danganronpa 2 get localized?
Depends on the sales of this game!
NISA has already announced that they are localizing the second game as Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair and will be releasing this fall. This is how we should all be feeling now.

What's the difference between this game and the original Vita version?
Updated graphics, touchscreen functions and also School Life mode which cuts out the whole murder and despair from the game and lets you befriend your favorite characters instead.

Is there dual audio in this game?
Yep! Listen to whichever voices you want!

I see there's an anime of this. Should I watch it?
If you really want to fully experience this, the anime isn't a worthwhile to watch. It's more of a abridged cliff-notes version of the game that focuses nothing but on the plot.

Present Guide?
Present Guide! CONTAINS POST CHAPTER 2 SPOILERS

Upupupupupu?
Upupupupupu~

NOTE: PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE AND SPOIL TAG PLOT AND CHARACTER RELATED THINGS
A9VR036.gif

You wouldn't want Monokuma to get you for breaking a rule. upupupupu~

uJ3NZrY.gif

Monokuma also welcomes you to visit the sexy Monokuma approved spoiler thread for all your spoiling needs without black-bars.

Super Duper Thanks to Cha for making the banners better and color correct than before!

Rarutos

Great OT, dakku! Really hoping this does well in the west.

I like to describe this game as Ace Attorney + 999 in some ways, and the story and characters are just lovely!

I'll probably fix all those edges in the characters images and whatever else I messed up on tomorrow.

I only saw them when I was uploading them and I really didn't want to put 16 images back into photoshop.

I preordered at Gamestop because there's no room left on my memory card and I can't afford a 64gb right now. I'm really looking forward to it.

ramyeon

Hyped for this! Not long to go now.

I really hope people just refrain from discussing the game if they've played the PSP version. Spoiler bars aren't enough, just don't do it. Please.

Hurray the best title was chosen. I can't have the game because of it being for Vita, but I'll still be around here for the same reasons someone would lurk a Zero Escape or Ace Attorney thread long after beating the game. Other people's reactions are the best thing.

Also, god damn it, looking at just the first 40 or so seconds of trailer #3 they REALLY did not give a fuck about spoilers -.-

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
1376364006420.gif

Pretty hyped for this! Hope I'll love it as much as the zero escape games! :)

Anyone knows what size the game is?

Zeranium

Hoo yeah!
Got my LE preordered and everything. Already played the PSP version but am excited to go through it all over again and have some chuckles with the School Life

Cha

Nice OT. Title is pretty outstanding and makes it easy to find. This game is definately on my radar. I've already read up/watched the game in it's entirety a while back. But still, I can't wait to have a first hand go with it (when I gets some monies :/).

I'm glad this made first post.

Actual spoiler:
I think it's a Syo sprite? Or at least it reminds me of a specific moment in the final trial with her.

No, her genocider personality always has her tongue out.

Speaking of which, I hope it's spelled "Shou" instead of "Syo". The latter just looks weird.

Labrys

it looks like trailers 2 and 3 are the same exact trailer.

other than that, good OT. i'm excited even though i've already played the first game like 4 times, the English voices sound really nice.

i hope we get sdr2 over here as well, it's really good

Tizoc

Neat subtitle.
I've avoided as MUCH info as possible about the game and its setting. My friend and brother watched the anime, but I should get this by the end of the month or by the 3rd week of Feb.

Labrys

oh also! do not watch the second/third trailer if you're avoiding spoilers.

first 30 or so seconds reveals a plot point and later in the video while trying to emulate the japanese trailer they flat out reveal the first murder.

in the japanese trailer they just showed the demo footage, which had another character
(Yasuhiro Hagakure)
murdered in order to keep the legitimate murder hidden.

Really? What did they do then?

Genocide Jack. Jack is from Jack the Ripper, as Syo was from a Japanese serial killer.

nikos

Slept on the LE, unfortunately, but still in on day one! I'm not even sure what to expect from the game, but it really appeals to me.

Clov

Chihiro is love. Bless Chihiro.

Really excited to finally play this game! While I already know the story from the Let's Play, experiencing it first hand will be great. Plus I'll get to see those executions on the Vita's glorious screen. I'll get to despair all over again, and I can't wait!

oh also! do not watch the second/third trailer if you're avoiding spoilers.

first 30 or so seconds reveals a plot point and later in the video while trying to emulate the japanese trailer they flat out reveal the first murder.

in the japanese trailer they just showed the demo footage, which had another character
(Yasuhiro Hagakure)
murdered in order to keep the legitimate murder hidden.

Genocide Jack. Jack is from Jack the Ripper, as Syo was from a Japanese serial killer.

It really amazes me how they went at such lengths in Japan to avoid spoilers, even in the anime trailer, and here they are like "fuck it how many things can we spoil without people noticing".

Re: the spoiler
Huh, well it makes sense at least?

Huh? That's... odd. Did they temporarily forget that this game takes place in Japan or something? Why localize one name but not any of the others? It's not like they call Monokuma "Monobear" or something like that.

Labrys

I was a bit uh shocked at the change at first, but according to houk on the nisa forums all localization decisions (including dropping o and u from names and keeping monokuma's name) went through spike chunsoft before being implemented, so there's apparently good reason for it.

Hmm guys could you find some other thread to discuss spoilers a week before game actually releases ?

Some people haven't played fan translation/japanise orginals/watched anime yet.

Clov

Huh? That's... odd. Did they temporarily forget that this game takes place in Japan or something? Why localize one name but not any of the others? It's not like they call Monokuma "Monobear" or something like that.

Now that there's precedent, if they bring over SDR2 they can change Gundam Tanaka's name to Megatron Smith.

I'm sorry

Top Bottom