• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Hope vs Dis Bear ( ´º)

Labrys

apologies, to be completely honest most of my discussion was just explaining a name change and naming who got offed in the trial version

nothing incredibly too big but anything even slightly spoiler-y will be spoiler tagged by me

Now that there's precedent, if they bring over SDR2 they can change Gundam Tanaka's name to Megatron Smith.

I'm sorry

With their letter policy so far we'd literally get a character named "Soda" so that wouldn't be too out of place

Honestly, if you watched all of the trailers in the first post you're more spoiled than if you had clicked anything spoiler tagged so far in here tbh

But really, everyone has to be careful with spoilers here.

ss-hikaru

Nice! Subscribed, will be buying a vita to play this.

PLEASE everyone who posts any spoilers MAKE SURE you spoiler tag and check that they work >.< Not happy with some people stuffing up in the Bravely Default OT.

Those are some really out there character designs... XD

I'm just gonna say that I'm excited for this game. And now I'll stay away from this thread as there are already too many black spoiler bars.

so uh if i like ace attorney this should be up my alley right? what's the difference between this and the PSP fan translation?

Domstercool

Fans of 999 and Phoenix Wright should have a great time with this game.

I spent 29 hours (finished it last night) with the game and enjoyed it all. I really hope we get the sequel!

I heard the anime wasn't all that great, but I'm going to watch it now that I've played through the game.

GamerJM

Banned
I am hyped. Haven't played the fan translation so it'll be all new for me. I need more Ace Attorney/Zero Escape-style game goodness in me!

so uh if i like ace attorney this should be up my alley right? what's the difference between this and the PSP fan translation?

The fact that it's not a fan translation. =P

But seriously, English VA, a sort of "bonus" chapter (the "School Life" thing mentioned in the OP), and a few other additional features.

Best girl.

Nope

5%2899%29.png

Labrys

in theory, yes. they're both text-heavy murder mystery based games with investigation involved.

differences:
dual audio in the vita version
HD art in the vita version
School Mode exclusive to vita version
buying vita version ups the chances of us getting the second game

fan translation keeps "proper" names (kyouko instead of kyoko, etc)
translation/localization differences

Oh right, almost forgot this obligatory gif
tumblr_inline_n0gq435sp01qgdj69.gif
This is how I feel right now.

I REALLY hope NISA starts shipping the copies tomorrow.

Yeah, any Ace Attorney fan should gobble this right up.

This version has new Vita interface controls, better looking visuals and a brand new mode that unlocks after completing the game, where you get to interact with all the characters in an alternate "what if" scenario.

The fact that it's not a fan translation. =P

But seriously, English VA, a sort of "bonus" chapter (the "School Life" thing mentioned in the OP), and a few other additional features.

in theory, yes. they're both text-heavy murder mystery based games with investigation involved.

differences:
dual audio in the vita version
HD art in the vita version
School Mode exclusive to vita version
buying vita version ups the chances of us getting the second game

This is how I feel right now.

I REALLY hope NISA starts shipping the copies tomorrow.

Yeah, any Ace Attorney fan should gobble this right up.

This version has new Vita interface controls, better looking visuals and a brand new mode that unlocks after completing the game, where you get to interact with all the characters in an alternate "what if" scenario.
cool thanks. may look into the PSP version since I'm kinda absent of a vita :p

EDIT: and social links?! the thing that's the best part of persona? oh god I need to find a way to play this

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
Go buy this game, SDR 2 needs to get localised!

EDIT: and social links?! the thing that's the best part of persona? oh god I need to find a way to play this

The social aspect is pretty poorly implemented imo, don't expect anything substantial out of it.

Started this last night (bought the Chinese/Japanese Asia version), finished the prologue and enjoying the game so far.

I was a bit hesitant about buying this at first since I knew nothing about it, but I couldn't resist after seeing Gaffers comparing it to Ace Attorney (which I adore). Also bought Zero Escape: VLR (another title I knew nothing about) based on you guys' recommendation, can't wait to play it after I finish Danganronpa. Any more similar games on the Vita/PS3/PS4?

If the "social links" are what is most appealing to you, I would suggest getting the Vita version. The "School Mode" was introduced just so people could play through them all without having to worry about any characters getting bumped off.

How does she keep her hair like that?
5%28187%29.png

Getting such a tsun vibe from her.
tumblr_inline_mmt0tc6tVL1qz4rgp.png

Never played an Ace Attorney game, so this might be a treat.
Damnit Aytrial, you beat me to it.

ramyeon

Although I don't doubt names have been changed, there is no difference between Kyouko and Kyoko in this case, it's just the way they've chosen to romanise it.

For example the way Kyoto is written in Japanese characters should technically be romanised as Kyouto but the romanisation system now most widely used has it as Kyoto. It's mostly because it looks more natural and is easier for people to say.

Labrys

The social aspect is pretty poorly implemented imo, don't expect anything substantial out of it.

SDR2 does it much much better. there's honestly a lot of guesswork involved in the first one's freetime events, the sequel makes it much clearer

Although I don't doubt names have been changed, there is no difference between Kyouko and Kyoko in this case, it's just the way they've chosen to romanise it.

For example the way Kyoto is written in Japanese characters should technically be romanised as Kyouto but the romanisation system now most widely used has it as Kyoto. It's mostly because it looks more natural and is easier for people to say.

ah, i apologize, i wasn't quite aware of that. i was just pointing out something people have been having issues with, when it turns out it's just romanization.

Go buy this game, SDR 2 needs to get localised!

If the "social links" are what is most appealing to you, I would suggest getting the Vita version. The "School Mode" was introduced just so people could play through them all without having to worry about any characters getting bumped off.
):

i need a vita TV release date

mollipen

My opinions on the game are already linked to in the OP but seriously man I loved Danganronpa. I was so afraid this might be another case of "I really wanted this game to come over from Japan, but when it did I kind of regretted campaigning so hard for it," but nope.

I'm notorious about having this problem where if I'm playing a game for work, I want to do anything with my time but play it. And yet, there wasn't once in the 25 hours I spent getting through the main game that I didn't want to keep playing. I just don't sit down on weekends and play games for 6~8 hour stretches anymore, but that's exactly what I did here.

The best part, by far, is the characters. There wasn't one that I didn't enjoy when the game ended. (I was certain that'd be impossible, as I went in sure that certain character types would be types that I typically just do not like.)

YESSSSSSSSSS! Been counting down the days till this OT went up! This is gonna be a really fun thread to read and post in.

I just wish the title would have been this one: DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc |OT| Zero Escape: Trials and Tribulations.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
SDR2 does it much much better. there's honestly a lot of guesswork involved in the first one's freetime events, the sequel makes it much clearer

I just had a really hard time getting attached to the characters based on those events. The conversations during your free time always felt bland and superficial, talking to them was more like a necessity in order to gain more skills for the upcoming trials.

The main plot does a much better job with the character development though.

Cody_D165

Banned
The first time I've wished I owned a Vita. Will be keeping tabs on this thread anyway since I loved the fan translation of the PSP version.

Also bought Zero Escape: VLR (another title I knew nothing about) based on you guys' recommendation, can't wait to play it after I finish Danganronpa. Any more similar games on the Vita/PS3/PS4?

Unrelated to Danganronpa, but if you've never played Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, PLEASE do yourself a favor and wait to play Virtue's Last Reward. The experience of playing VLR is intensified tenfold if you've completed 999 first.

I'm sure other GAFfers would agree with me on this point. Even if you don't own a DS, it's worth hunting down a cheap used one just to play 999.

Squire

Banned
My opinions on the game are already linked to in the OP but seriously man I loved Danganronpa. I was so afraid this might be another case of "I really wanted this game to come over from Japan, but when it did I kind of regretted campaigning so hard for it," but nope.

I'm notorious about having this problem where if I'm playing a game for work, I want to do anything with my time but play it. And yet, there wasn't once in the 25 hours I spent getting through the main game that I didn't want to keep playing. I just don't sit down on weekends and play games for 6~8 hour stretches anymore, but that's exactly what I did here.

The best part, by far, is the characters. There wasn't one that I didn't enjoy when the game ended. (I was certain that'd be impossible, as I went in sure that certain character types would be types that I typically just do not like.)

Man, this is great to hear! I'm in the same boat. Games so rarely hook me and a compelling cast is what I look for.

Unrelated to Danganronpa, but if you've never played Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, PLEASE do yourself a favor and wait to play Virtue's Last Reward. The experience of playing VLR is intensified tenfold if you've completed 999 first.

I'm sure other GAFfers would agree with me on this point. Even if you don't own a DS, it's worth hunting down a cheap used one just to play 999.
Well shit... I don't own a DS myself, I can borrow it off my friends but there lies the problem, I live in Hong Kong and AFAIK the DS is region locked, all my friends have the Japanese DS which presumably can only play the Japanese version of 999, unfortunately I don't speak Japanese.

How about just watching a YouTube playthrough of 999? Would that be enough?

Sorry for going off-topic.

Well shit... I don't own a DS myself, I can borrow it off my friends but there lies the problem, I live in Hong Kong and AFAIK the DS is region locked, all my friends have the Japanese DS which presumably can only play the Japanese version of 999, unfortunately I don't speak Japanese.

How about just watching a YouTube playthrough of 999? Would that be enough?

Sorry for going off-topic.
The regular DS is not region locked, only the 3DS is. (Unless ones made in Hong Kong differ somehow.)

And watching it would not be a good idea IMO. There is something very intrinsic about playing this yourself on a DS, for reasons I can't explain without getting into spoilers.

Top Bottom