• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daniel Day Lewis in talks to reunite with PTA for 1950s fashion drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powercast

I'm gonna say that this many period pieces in a row disappoints me. I was hoping he would do another present day palate cleanser after all the period stuff. Did I miss something where he said he hates doing those now?
Yeah me too. I love PTA and TWBB is probably the best movie I ever saw but I wish he would do a present time movie, especially after seeing his new Radiohead video, brought some Magnolia memories back.

Ahiru77

So, Lewis finally returns eh? And with his winning director too. Marvelous.

Well I truly hope he actually gets treated like an Oscar king come his next nomination. Then I can finally see what that actually looks like for the first time ever.

People are such haters nowadays.
M7LywlE.gif

Look at this motherfucker, chewing up the scenery.

That's how you know he's not a good actor.

A) Mifune's best roles actually are the ones where he doesn't chew the scenery - High and Low, The Bad Sleep Well, Samurai Rebellion, etc., but B) the movies where Mifune most chewed the scenery were mostly pre-Brando Japanese period pieces where he played thieves and nuts, not literary but nevertheless realistic period dramas where some fidelity to reality is necessary to make the whole thing work. Setting aside how derivative it is, the thing about There Will Be Blood that works less and less the more you watch it is how very, very silly and over-the-top it gets.

And while his Lincoln was "soft-spoken", his performance in that movie was still all surface, no depth. Immaculately-polished surface, unlike, say, Leonardo Dicaprio, who always looks like he's playing dress-up, but still, surface. That's partially the script's fault, because it just sucks, but, y'know, he didn't have to do the movie with that script.

Fat4all

Banned
A) Mifune's best roles actually are the ones where he doesn't chew the scenery - High and Low, The Bad Sleep Well, Samurai Rebellion, etc., but B) the movies where Mifune most chewed the scenery were mostly pre-Brando Japanese period pieces where he played thieves and nuts, not literary but nevertheless realistic period dramas where some fidelity to reality is necessary to make the whole thing work. Setting aside how derivative it is, the thing about There Will Be Blood that works less and less the more you watch it is how very, very silly and over-the-top it gets.

And while his Lincoln was "soft-spoken", his performance in that movie was still all surface, no depth. Immaculately-polished surface, unlike, say, Leonardo Dicaprio, who always looks like he's playing dress-up, but still, surface. That's partially the script's fault, because it just sucks, but, y'know, he didn't have to do the movie with that script.

Give as much excuse as you want, I still find it to be bull.

tumblr_m4r3qpPk691qiz3j8o1_500.gif

Jokergrin

Aside from the ending, the Master is one of the best movies of the decade. PTA got amazing performances from every member of that cast.

The performance were top notch agree.

But for some reason the movie put me to sleep. Whereas TWBB has me on the edge of my seat everytime I watch it

kingocfs

Greenwood is scoring it and it will be out this year.

Jonny Greenwood will provide the score for a new Paul Thomas Anderson film, Focus Features has announced. The currently untitled project, which stars Daniel Day-Lewis and Lesley Manville, is due out later this year. Greenwood previously provided the score for three of Anderson’s films: 2007’s There Will Be Blood, 2012’s The Master, and 2014’s Inherent Vice. Anderson directed a documentary on Junun, Greenwood’s album with Shye Ben Tzur, and directed the videos for Radiohead’s A Moon Shaped Pool tracks “Daydreaming,” “Present Tense,” and “The Numbers.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom