• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

Gilgamesh

Kind of bummed that it's still two weeks before the 360 demo, but I'm not exactly highly anticipating the game. It's weird they're pushing it so hard on PS3 with God of War III following the next month. I suppose they're trying to tap into its market and sell it to people who want to tide themselves over.

Neuromancer said:
Screw that plain English crap, Longfellow's translation is the best.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1004

Edit:
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Death going "No! No, please don't!" in that video was so weird and out of place. I mean... he's Death. That doesn't sound at all like something he would say.

FrankT

Ars impressions;

Poet, I beg you... give me strength: Dante's Inferno demo
We've played the demo for the upcoming Dante's Inferno, and this is the best version of God of War 3 you're going to get before you get... well, God of War 3. Our thoughts on the first level or two of the game.

By Ben Kuchera | Last updated December 10, 2009 2:33 PMText Size Print this articleLeave a comment The PR campaign for Dante's Inferno—which included such things as "acts of lust" perpetuated on booth babes and money being given to the press—has been incredibly obnoxious. The goal was to get us talking about the game, however, and that worked. An even better way, though, is to send us some content from the game itself. EA just delivered a disc with the demo of the game for the 360, and after playing through it a few times, it's clear the only sin here is... well, didn't we just talk about clones of existing, popular games?

That's not to say that Dante's Inferno is a bad game. Far from it. The controls feel great, the mechanics are all solid, and it's great fun to play and beat the hell out of the minions of hell. The game also doesn't make you wait for the goods; you'll see naked breasts within moments of playing the game. If you're 12 years old and don't care about Dante Aligheiri don't worry: this game won't force you to think very hard.

As I was punishing enemies by shooting white hot crosses at them from my crucifix, I couldn't help but reflect that when you try to take literature and move it into the world of gaming... gaming isn't going to look very good in comparison. The Divine Comedy is a classic work of art. Dante's Inferno simply wants you to feel like you're playing God of War 3.

But the name adds buzz!
Turning the Divine Comedy into a hack-and-slash game feels almost like satire, and has given the game publicity it wouldn't have enjoyed if the name were anything else. There is no subtlety on display here; we're painting in some very broad strokes when it comes to converting the story into video game form. It's time to kill some skeletons and save your topless girlfriend, bro.

You're granted a weapon—of variable length—that allows you to perform combos, which are counted on the left side of the screen, and of course you gain orbs from dead bodies which allow you to level up your attacks. You regain health and mana by tapping a button near fountains. Once you've hurt an enemy enough, you can hit a trigger button to activate a quick time event and rip them limb from limb. It's all very bloody, and I assume somewhere there is a focus group that thinks this sort of thing is shocking, but I couldn't help but feel as though I had covered all this ground before.

Sure, you can "Punish" or "Absolve" enemies and build up your "holy" or "Unholy" sides, and the burning crosses and religious iconography does add a little bit of flavor... but this seems more like a total conversion for God of War than it does it's own game. With the set pieces, the large-scale enemies, and the camera moving on its own... in the demo at least, Dante doesn't come up with a single original idea. As I said before, everything is executed well: the graphics are attractive, the animated cut scenes are depraved and eye-catching, and the controls are nice and tight. That just makes this a high class rip-off though, instead of a shoddy one.

Conclusion
If you can't wait for God of War 3, or you're an Xbox 360 owner, this looks to be a good buy. The production values are high, and I had a great time while playing. We only wish the game deviated from the formula the tiniest bit. This game is an easy punchline, and the concept and execution feel almost like a hyper-earnest Onion news piece, but at least it delivers what gamers want: action, action, action.

The demo should be live this evening on the PlayStation 3, and is coming to the Xbox 360 on December 24.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/12/poet-i-beg-you-give-me-strength-dantes-inferno-demo.ars

Gilgamesh said:
Kind of bummed that it's still two weeks before the 360 demo, but I'm not exactly highly anticipating the game. It's weird they're pushing it so hard on PS3 with God of War III following the next month. I suppose they're trying to tap into its market and sell it to people who want to tide themselves over.

Screw that plain English crap, Longfellow's translation is the best.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1004

Edit:

Death going "No! No, please don't!" in that video was so weird and out of place. I mean... he's Death. That doesn't sound at all like something he would say.
What do you want? Death giving Dante the middle finger?

DMPrince said:
testing.gif

animated!
Is that a power node in his pocket, or is he just happy to see us?

BeeDog

That new interview video on GT is awesome, certainly makes me hyped about the game. Gotta love these badass singleplayer action games. :D

Philthy

Jtyettis said:

Kind of a dull read to be honest. They beat you over the head that they perfectly copied a top tier franchise. Does this mean if GoW3 plays the same as GoW 1 & 2 and Dantes Inferno they'll write another four paragraph rant saying the same thing? Do they feel the same way about other genres?

I guess I don't understand, they are complaining an action fighter plays like an action fighter. So what?

Philthy said:
Kind of a dull read to be honest. They beat you over the head that they perfectly copied a top tier franchise. Does this mean if GoW3 plays the same as GoW 1 & 2 and Dantes Inferno they'll write another four paragraph rant saying the same thing? Do they feel the same way about other genres?

I guess I don't understand, they are complaining an action fighter plays like an action fighter. So what?
Well look at DMC and Bayonetta. Both have that medieval look to them wiht a bit of modern elements and are both about style and flash. Yet the two are so different in presentation that although they could exist in the same universe, they're different enough.

GOW and DI are like...so similar bro, those two could quite literally be confused with each other if you were just to play it. Personally I don't mind and am happy for it, but one can see why the comparisons are made.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
=O

nice, downloading now

ARRRGH I CLICKED ON HOME INSTEAD OF STORE FUCK EVERYTHING

shinshero

Ooooh....The box looks nice (not commenting on box-art). Liking the new cases + rebranded logo on Dante's Inferno box.

(I have yet to get a PS3 game with this new box..screw you SCEE)

shinshero said:
Ooooh....The box looks nice (not commenting on box-art). Liking the new cases + rebranded logo on Dante's Inferno box.

(I have yet to get a PS3 game with this new box..screw you SCEE)

What you didn't buy Singstar Take That or Eyepet?

Shame on you ;)

Ok from a total original perspective point, I can see how Dante's Inferno gets no credit. Yet to hear people claim this is a God of War rip off and honestly have a problem with that??? WTF! God of War is hands down the best sort of epic action hack/slash titles out there imo. If taking that formula and trying to copy it is a bad thing. Well shit, I don't understand. I don't hear anyone bitching how Bayonetta is copying Devil May Cry? Or what about Darksiders copying Zelda? Why is everyone so up on Dante's ass!? :lol

jett

D-Member
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok from a total original perspective point, I can see how Dante's Inferno gets no credit. Yet to hear people claim this is a God of War rip off and honestly have a problem with that??? WTF! God of War is hands down the best sort of epic action hack/slash titles out there imo. If taking that formula and trying to copy it is a bad thing. Well shit, I don't understand. I don't hear anyone bitching how Bayonetta is copying Devil May Cry? Or what about Darksiders copying Zelda? Why is everyone so up on Dante's ass!? :lol

Ehhhh Bayonetta is very different from DMC, it expands massively on it and takes the genre to new places. DI is an exact replica of GOW. If that's a good or bad thing well that's up to you, but it is what it is.

Some quick thoughts. Presentation is very slick, but there are way too many different art styles going on for cutscenes. You've got FMV, in-game, cartoon animation (which looks to be similar to the movie coming out), plus some different static art shots with narration. I can't remember what other game it was within the past year that had this same issue, but it's a little much.

Combat is as excellent as you'd imagine, plus there's a two-sided skill tree for unlocks. You spend the same 'white souls' currency for unlocking from either the holy or unholy side of the tree, so I can't figure out why there are these separate holy and unholy meters that are filled up by making a very Bioshock-type choice of whether to absolve or punish enemies after grabbing them. I never filled up either meter enough to see what happens as far as leveling that up goes. As similar as it is to a GoW title, that made it even more difficult to adjust to blocking; it's L2 now instead of L1 :lol

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Bayonetta takes the DMC crazy factor and multiplies it by a billion. Dante's Inferno just doesn't look to do anything really better than GOW from what they've shown of it so far. Nothing in it looks bad it just doesn't seem like there is anything to get excited about, IMO.

panda21

wow its really really good.

graphically, its not as good as GoW, mostly its very good and the art is really nice but theres a few things that look kind of shitty that spoil it a bit. seems locked at 60

it doesnt work at out GoW'ing GoW,
Eyes pulled out of live monsters - Dante:0 Kratos:1 Heads torn off of enemies - Dante:0 Kratos:1 Enemies torn in half - Dante:1 Kratos:1
but it does the style of the environments they have gone for very well.

definite buy!

Top Bottom