• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

Jinaar

°°ToMmY°° said:
jesus, that figure is ugly as sin!

Does it make you feel like this:

idys1l.gif

Paznos

Is it just me or are the controls exactly like GoW? was playing it earlier today for the first time and the seem the same or similar, still playing the demo but this game wasn't even on my radar but it definitely is now, too many games though! this comes out the same week as WKC?

jett

D-Member
Valkyr Junkie said:
As similar as it is to a GoW title, that made it even more difficult to adjust to blocking; it's L2 now instead of L1 :lol

Seems like they just took the 360 controls and put them over the PS3. Devs sometimes seem to forget the PS3's "triggers" are crap. :p

DMPrince said:
but it was recorded CG Boob! that turned iced blue/grey with veins!

game is worth a buy for the moaning naked chick.

Heh. It's not even that. It kinda kills the dramatic effect when you run over to where your dead lover is laying on the ground and one of her boobs is randomly hanging out of her dress :lol :lol

still hot

Valkyr Junkie said:
Heh. It's not even that. It kinda kills the dramatic effect when you run over to where your dead lover is laying on the ground and one of her boobs is randomly hanging out of her dress :lol :lol

still hot
i read that as you running over your dead lover and looking at her hanging boob :lol.

oh god. later on in the demo that's one ugly Chick model. thank god for the boobs :lol.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Controls well, but L1 and L2 need to be switched.
Graphics are nice, framerate is nice.
QTEs are hard to read, especially the square button.
Total GOW clone

I may pick it up as a precursor to GOW3 assuming they fix the L2 blocking issue.

Majmun

I loved it! The game plays great, runs smooth and looks pretty good. The CG sequences were beautiful, too

A total GOW rip-off, though. It even has slowmotion going on with that air move, just like in GOW :lol
But I liked it very much. They should change the buttons symbols during the QTE's. Sometime I could't see witch button I had to press.

Overall, I'm quite impressed.

Damn the Death edition sounds even better than the Divine edition.

Anyway, has it ever occurred to anyone complaining that it's a rip off that some people like the thematic setting? Depictions of hell are always interesting to me to be honest. Of course it will not be at all faithful to the poem, but at least they are including a digital copy. At least it won't have Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding Jr.

Who knows, maybe we'll see a take on Paradise Lost if this sells well.

It's a GoW ripoff, but it's a really good GoW ripoff if the demo is anything go by. The framerate is also silky smooth (except for some cutscenes, oddly enough). It's a definite purchase for me.

Erebus

Just played the demo and holy crap this game is a total GoW clone. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the demo: graphics are good, presentation is awesome but everything else like the controls, the upgrade system, the HUD etc reminds me of God of War. Even the enemies look like their GoW counterparts. :lol

okay. just finished the demo and watched the horribly compressed video at the end and noticed a female enemy whose attack is
vaginal clit tentacle attack
? WTF.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
GillianSeed79 said:
Anyway, has it ever occurred to anyone complaining that it's a rip off that some people like the thematic setting?

it's not the setting. It's the controls, QTEs, animation style.

anddo0

Total GoW clone, but a good one. I have to admit this is now on my radar, being a fan of action games this will be hard to pass up. I'm not sure if it's day one though. I'll need to play the demo a bit more.

I agree some of the QTE's are hard to read. The controls aren't as responsive as GoW. I prefer the evading in GoW, because you can cancel put of animations quicker. It controls much better than I imagined.

Not very good.

Graphics aren't very nice. It's lacking something... lighting, something. Possibly some of the worst water and fire effects I've seen in a while. The combat just didn't ever feel that satisfying. In fact it was borderline boring. The boss fights (grim reaper especially) were dull. They pretty much just stand there. Don't think they could have copied the health/magic bar any closer to GoWs... ok so magic is purple in this game and orbs are gold...

It lacked the satisfying combat and epicness of the GoW games. Even after going from GoW Collection to this, it looked ugly and was missing something. Not even to compare it to the GoWIII demo, which just blows it away completely.

A poor man's God of War. Not even good enough to fill the wait till GoWIII a month later. Damn I got better enjoyment from Conan than this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
As we expected, it's a total clone, but it's not bad. It's definitely at least competent. There are a few things I noticed right away that I liked or didn't like.

--The graphics are plainer and more angular than GoW3, but the framerate is on average higher and smoother. Of course, this demo is probably a bit newer, but still. The arenas are boxier and less detailed. We don't really get a taste at all for the kind of art that can be in this game with just what we see, but there is a LOT depicted by Dante in the Inferno and I have very high expectations. The environments are not particularly exciting to look at, but they're trying--things exploding in the background, ground shaking, and that kind of thing.

--I don't like the Dante character at all. Just gross. And his face is so strange. He has like buckteeth in half of the scenes.

--I failed one of the QTEs intentionally but it proceeded as though I had not.

--I'm not sure I like the idea of redeeming/punishing. Having to do that frequently (it takes a few seconds an enemy) is tedious, and having to mash O is annoying (on the redeem side). On top of that, punish can actually take out a few bad guys at a time. What's the point of redeeming or punishing regular enemies? This should probably be reserved for major encounters.

--The controls are suboptimal. Block being on L2 is nutso, and magic not using the dpad to select is also a little nutso. I don't think I touched the dpad in the demo, it should be used to select magic.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Really enjoyed the demo and plan on picking it up. Could care less if it's a GoW clone, since it's a good one.

"Damn I got better enjoyment from Conan than this."

ugh

Red

Matrix said:
Really enjoyed the demo and plan on picking it up. Could care less if it's a GoW clone, since it's a good one.

"Damn I got better enjoyment from Conan than this."

ugh
Brace yourself.

Well that was fun. :D

Visually the game looks alright, nothing in the gameplay areas for the demo were very interesting and there is a sort of blandness to the atmosphere. The CG scenes (though either compressed too much or maybe just a big grainy because I'm playing on a 1080p TV) were beautiful though. Didn't see any tearing and the frame rate seemed extremely solid to me. Pretty sure the game has some AA going on too.

So lets get the obvious out of the way, yea this game is very God of War. That said it feels a bit different (took me a minute to get used to the way/distance you dodge with the right stick). I also found it easier to dodge than in God of War games, and I mean that in a good way (typically I find dodging in god of war hit or miss, not sure what different here, maybe the frame rate?). QTE buttons were hard to see sometimes.

Overall the game feels solid, something I see myself picking up at some point.
Y2Kev said:
--The controls are suboptimal. Block being on L2 is nutso, and magic not using the dpad to select is also a little nutso. I don't think I touched the dpad in the demo, it should be used to select magic.
I like the magic placement, not having to remove your thumb from the analog stick (to the D-pad) to select magic worked really well IMO. L2 on block seemed fine to me as well.

Takes some getting used to, but I wouldn't call it suboptimal.

raviolico

Katana_Strikes said:
Not very good.

Graphics aren't very nice. It's lacking something... lighting, something. Possibly some of the worst water and fire effects I've seen in a while. The combat just didn't ever feel that satisfying. In fact it was borderline boring. The boss fights (grim reaper especially) were dull. They pretty much just stand there. Don't think they could have copied the health/magic bar any closer to GoWs... ok so magic is purple in this game and orbs are gold...

It lacked the satisfying combat and epicness of the GoW games. Even after going from GoW Collection to this, it looked ugly and was missing something. Not even to compare it to the GoWIII demo, which just blows it away completely.

A poor man's God of War. Not even good enough to fill the wait till GoWIII a month later. Damn I got better enjoyment from Conan than this.

i`m in the same boat except Conan.
played the GoWIII demo afterwards. its a league or two above.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
About what I thought. I wish the demo took place in Hell though and not the first level :(. The battle sounds are really, really good though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Played the demo, and liked it, but I almost laughed at how EXTREMELY similar to GoW it is. They aren't even trying to hide it. The camera is exactly the same, the controls are (almost) exactly the same, the QTEs are exactly the same, the souls are the orbs (which come in the exact same variety - except the red orbs are white souls - and do the same things), the fountains are the chests, etc, etc.

It's a very competent rip-off, but it's no GoW III.

roxya

Holy fucking shit. Wow.

Before the end of the first boss I was kind of "meh", combat felt rubbish. But when you get your real weapon.... and then your cross attack, the ability to upgrade, some magic.... punish or absolve!

Really, really loved it. As a big God of War fan :D Obviously doesn't look as good, but the graphics are still very nice, not anything to complain about.

Didn't like the QTE prompts, though I kinda got used to them.

Ardorx

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Played the demo, and liked it, but I almost laughed at how EXTREMELY similar to GoW it is. They aren't even trying to hide it. The camera is exactly the same, the controls are (almost) exactly the same, the QTEs are exactly the same, the souls are the orbs (which come in the exact same variety - except the red orbs are white souls - and do the same things), the fountains are the chests, etc, etc.

To be fair, God of War didn't invent orbs.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ardorx said:
To be fair, God of War didn't invent orbs.

Well, no, but this game handles them (and almost everything else) exactly the same as the GoW games, including the way the fountains/chests work (except you have to tap Circle instead of holding R1).

Ardorx

Banned
Which is fine though because the demo is good, meaning the game should be good. Visceral is being set up as a new breadwinner for EA.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ardorx said:
Which is fine though because the demo is good, meaning the game should be good. Visceral is being set up as a new breadwinner for EA.

Yes, the demo is good, I really enjoyed it. I was just surprised (even though I knew it would be similar) to how extraordinarily like GoW it was.

Norml

RoadHazard said:
Well, no, but this game handles them (and almost everything else) exactly the same as the GoW games, including the way the fountains/chests work (except you have to tap Circle instead of holding R1).

The orbs kinda suck though because the light from them doesn't light up the environment.

Not bad... not as great as I was hoping though. Liked the gameplay, good framerate and animation. Liked the scythe (the poleaxe sucked). Is Beatrice going to be naked in the whole game? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the naked corpse bit was odd... and then her ghost (?) moaning on the altar, it was just hilarious. I still don't like the look of the character... the helmet makes his face look squished. Also, the death of Dante was so ridiculous, he just killed like 20 guys and then one random dude just runs up, stops, and stabs him. And why was Death a pussy? He shouldn't be begging, I mean... he's Death. And Dante's just wandering the countryside with the scythe? Also, trying to grab health was frustrating while fighting that giant monster rider thing.

With all that said, I still kind of look forward to this game. I am really hoping that they have crafted a good storyline, so far it's ok, not great, feels a bit wacky. And why is Dante British...? He's from Italy... and so is Beatrice. AC2 pulled off Italian accents with aplomb, DI could've done it as well. Though, I do like the presentation, the cartoony flashbacks are neat, and the FMV videos are cool.

Anyways... still looking forward to it. I wasn't that impressed with the visuals, but that's cause I was playing on an SD tv and I couldn't even read the text. I'll hook up my PS3 to my parents' HDTV, it'll probably look a ton better.

tzare

nice try, but this ain't no gow. Even GOW collection looks 'better' considering they are ps2 games.
It lacks personality, it lacks visuals , you put gow3 demo and your are blown away. You put this demo and you aren't. Maybe dante's inferno 2.

Kifimbo

RoadHazard said:

This, basically. It could have been a real hit if it was launched at the start of 2009. Now, with GoW III a month later (or two), I don't know how it's gonna do.

dralla

Does anyone from Visceral post here?

basically 2 things need to be changed..

1. an option to switch L1 and L2, blocking with L2 sucks.
2. make it easier to see what buttons I need to press during QTE's. square and circle looks almost identical.

and the beginning of the demo doesn't do the game any favor's. the combat with the staff and no cross isn't all that great. luckily it is short

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
They definitively should have picked another section for the demo. The Halberd section is very tame. At the end when you have the Scythe, cross, magic and a few upgrades the combat is very, very good and waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than at the start. It also didn't show off any of their versions of the 9 circles of hell. I assume that's what everyone wanted to see, not Dante's house :lol.

dralla said:
1. an option to switch L1 and L2, blocking with L2 sucks.
2. make it easier to see what buttons I need to press during QTE's. square and circle looks almost identical.

Yep these were my only two complaints as well. Demo blew my mind, I was definitely skeptical but the game has fantastic art direction and extremely fun gameplay. If I seriously feel like I'm actually fighting my way down the various circles of hell and it gets more demented as it goes, this will be one of my favorite games of next year.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This is a straight God of War clone(even the ogre-riding sequences were ripped off excellently) with some Infamous(Good/Evil skill trees) sprinkled in. Pretty awesome demo and this game is now definitely on my radar. The only problem is that I might be burnt out on this type of game by the time it comes out because Bayonetta and GoW3 are must buys, pending reviews so will Darksiders. Then with all the triple A games coming out in these first three months, I don't know if I'll have the time OR the money to play this. Here's to hoping though.

Mrbob

So is the PS3 version getting another Batman treatment? I see the Divine Edition is up for purchase at EB, PS3 only. A bunch of extras included, and it is $59.99.

Hey, if they are gonna rip off a game at least did a fantastic job in doing so. Very impressed with the demo, the combat near the end of the demo was a lot of fun and 60fps is always awesome.

Mrbob said:
So is the PS3 version getting another Batman treatment? I see the Divine Edition is up for purchase at EB, PS3 only. A bunch of extras included, and it is $59.99.

Titled "Dante's Inferno - Divine Edition," this new package is exclusive to Sony's console, and will replace the regular game sku at retail for the same $59.99 price tag. The pack includes developer commentaries, a Wayne Barlowe digital art book, the soundtrack to the game, and a digital copy of the complete Longfellow translation of Dante Alighieri's Inferno.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/105/1053922p1.html

Mrbob

I guess being in third place has its perks. This is the strangest generation of all. No matter to me since I have both systems, so I'll grab it for PS3 if I get it now.

Looking forward to playing the demo when I get home tonight!

Top Bottom