• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

careksims

DMPrince said:
at first when they showed the QTE for Circle. I thought it was telling me to move the joystick up and down. :lol.

LOL I thought the same! I did enjoy the demo :D

Mega plus and day one for Wayne Barlowe digital art book.

TheFallen

Mrbob said:
So is the PS3 version getting another Batman treatment? I see the Divine Edition is up for purchase at EB, PS3 only. A bunch of extras included, and it is $59.99.
Well, with Batman we got additional in-game content. Are we getting that with the Divine Edition? Wasn't sure if the commentaries were.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the scythe combat feels super nice, but the story presentation is all over the place.

one second a boat randomly crashes, the next I'm talking to Death in a courtyard, then killing Death in a Vortex, the next I'm somewhere else. It's just not very cohesive, and completely negates the awesome cohesive world the God of War does so well.

Though, once we actually hit hell it might get better in that regard.

I appreciated the smooth 60fps a lot, though.

Mrbob

TheFallen said:
Well, with Batman we got additional in-game content. Are we getting that with the Divine Edition? Wasn't sure if the commentaries were.

The package says it includes some DLC for free which will be available in March.

Erebus

dralla said:
Does anyone from Visceral post here?

basically 2 things need to be changed..

1. an option to switch L1 and L2, blocking with L2 sucks.
2. make it easier to see what buttons I need to press during QTE's. square and circle looks almost identical.

and the beginning of the demo doesn't do the game any favor's. the combat with the staff and no cross isn't all that great. luckily it is short
Not only does it suck because of the trigger but I also caught myself instinctively pressing L1 to block, being accustomed to GoW's control scheme. I assume other people will have the same problem as well.

Mrbob

Whatever the PDLC pack is....off the eb page:

http://www.ebgames.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=270343

The Dante’s Inferno: Divine Edition comes with:

* Game
* Dark Forest PDLC pack FREE (available March)
* Wayne Barlowe Digital Art Book
* Developer Documentary
* Digital copy of the Longfellow translation of Dante’s Inferno
* 20 song soundtrack from the game
* Custom Divine Edition packaging

I'm guessing PDLC stands for Paid DLC. Paid DLC for free is basically the only DLC worth owning on consoles, so this is good.

Minamu

Multiplat AND 60 fps? Count me in. Downloading now :D Looks like I'll be getting the ps3 version if it's that good of a deal in Sweden as well. IF the demo is any fun that is.

Ricker

Awesome demo,even with the overdose of QTE'S...lenghty,nice cut scenes,great action,although some set pieces,like collapsing floors that kill you in one shot and forcing you to restart could get a little frustrating...overall though,good stuff.

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
Mashing O at the fountains is dumb. Annoying and tires your hand for no reason.

Seems like they forgot to rip off GoW2! In GOW1 you also had to mash R1 to open chests. :p

Junpei Heat said:
GoW does this and it's fucking stupid, I don't know why they'd put in their game too.

You just hold the button for GOW2 and GOW3. Funny that. :p

Junpei Heat

jett said:
Seems like they forgot to rip off GoW2! In GOW1 you also had to mash R1 to open chests. :p

You just hold the button for GOW2 and GOW3. Funny that. :p

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I got them confused lol

Little_Luke

Neo Member
Y2Kev said:
Mashing O at the fountains is dumb. Annoying and tires your hand for no reason.

I too found this mechanic tiresome.... and this is just the demo. It's something GoW does too with doors and such, but I just don't understand why the developers find it necessary to add these repetitive button presses to do things that should just be a one press and move on. It's mindless filler that I'm honestly surprised has remained a part of the gameplay for this long.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Minamu said:
Multiplat AND 60 fps? Count me in. Downloading now :D Looks like I'll be getting the ps3 version if it's that good of a deal in Sweden as well. IF the demo is any fun that is.

It's not. Both consoles are getting two versions in Europe (including Sweden) - the regular one and the "Death Edition". The second one costs 799 SEK, instead of the 649 SEK for the regular one (same for both consoles), at least at Webhallen. So, no cheap exclusive special edition in Sweden. I'm thinking about importing the "Divine Edition" instead.

jett said:

Uhm, no...? I just played through GoW I (GoW Collection), and I'm pretty sure you just hold R2 to open chests. The only change is that in GoW II you hold R1 instead. Mashing is just for opening doors (R2 in GoW I, Circle in GoW II). Or could I actually be remembering this wrong, even though I finished the game this week? Nah... pretty sure I'm right.

witness

I really enjoyed the CG work and the 2D movies, the combat feels fantastic, absolve or punish work well, my problem is that as someone who is religious I am far too disturbed by the imagery for the rest of the game (I read Dante's Inferno some years back while in college so I know what to expect) to purchase the game. I really did enjoy it for what it is but the 9 circles of hell content would really get to me, so I will stick with getting GoW 3 instead.

Hats off to EA and Visceral though, you guys have created the best GoW clone on the market.

Erebus

RoadHazard said:
Uhm, no...? I just played through GoW I (GoW Collection), and I'm pretty sure you just hold R2 to open chests. The only change is that in GoW II you hold R1 instead. Mashing is just for opening doors (R2 in GoW I, Circle in GoW II). Or could I actually be remembering this wrong, even though I finished the game this week? Nah... pretty sure I'm right.
I think you're right.

jett

D-Member
RoadHazard said:

You're right, I just replayed a little bit of GOW1 to confirm. These people can't even clone shit right! :p

BTW holy crap is GOW1 simple compared to the GOW3 demo. You just have so much more options and variety in the demo. Anyways...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Junpei Heat said:
GoW does this and it's fucking stupid, I don't know why they'd put in their game too.
It doesn't do this. It's just hold R2 to open chests.

OchreHand

Played the demo. Graphics are decent and the controls seem fine for the most part. But i'm not a fan of the main character design. His face reminds me of a goofy Russell Crowe.

Also I'm cautiously optimistic the environments in Hell are more elaborate, since I thought the environments in the demo were just average.

Just played this. Me likey. Stylish action just like DMC and GoW, but not everygame has to be like NG. The video at the end showed some impressive scenes and bosses. Might buy, probably rent.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
you still have to mash circle to open doors in God 2, but that's not quite as bad

Minamu

RoadHazard said:
It's not. Both consoles are getting two versions in Europe (including Sweden) - the regular one and the "Death Edition". The second one costs 799 SEK, instead of the 649 SEK for the regular one (same for both consoles), at least at Webhallen. So, no cheap exclusive special edition in Sweden. I'm thinking about importing the "Divine Edition" instead.
Hmm, but Gamestop has a trade-in deal which is really sweet. Trade in 2 games & buy it for 1 SEK. I think I'll do that if the contents are similar across the globe. Will try demo tomorrow (3:35 AM now).

I found the button cues kind of difficulty to see. I like the approach being used in GoW3 where the button is on an edge of the screen so I can make it out without losing focus on the action.

The game looks pretty sweet but it's last on my action game list for Q1 behind GoW3 and Bayonetta.

panda21

they need to make the colours of the X/O/triangle/square on the QTE buttons brighter because as it is its very hard to see them, a few times i didnt even notice the button was there until it disappeared.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
YuriLowell said:
Enviornments are bland, combat is average.

There is nothing standout about this game.
They're just so square. I dunno. I agree that the IQ is impressive, but the actual design is really plain.

Chromax

Yeah, those QTE's are so hard to see. Now I really appreciate GoW3's directional QTE. Still will most likely pick this game on day 1 though.

Ardorx

Banned
OchreHand said:
Also I'm cautiously optimistic the environments in Hell are more elaborate, since I thought the environments in the demo were just average.

They get a lot better. Trust me.

Tigletx

Banned
witness said:
I really enjoyed the CG work and the 2D movies, the combat feels fantastic, absolve or punish work well, my problem is that as someone who is religious I am far too disturbed by the imagery for the rest of the game (I read Dante's Inferno some years back while in college so I know what to expect) to purchase the game. I really did enjoy it for what it is but the 9 circles of hell content would really get to me, so I will stick with getting GoW 3 instead.

Hats off to EA and Visceral though, you guys have created the best GoW clone on the market.

religion... it makes me laugh. I highly doubt there will be anything worse in this game than GOWIII, just ripping the had of helios proves this.

In this game when you cut someone in half he bleeds fire...

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
played it

the Good:
Presentation, great CG and 2D animation cut scenes.
The demo runs VERY smooth at 60fps, great graphics.

the Bad:
Combat is pretty brainless. Its like they dumbed down God of War's gameplay...
the enemy designs are meh
The moves and the QTE actions are pretty boring

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hah, that was the most nudity I've ever seen in a demo before. :lol

You know, maybe it's because I just finished both games in the God of War collection, but this demo was absolute junk. It seems to do everything GoW does, but not nearly as interesting. At least with Greek Mythos you could go over the top with powers and weapons...but here it just seems silly. "Do battle for the lord with your SPECIAL ICE POWERS!" :p

I really loved Dead Space so I was ready to give this game a chance but...man, it just wasn't happening for me. I did like the very end though- that part was a lot of fun. But no thanks.

my problem is that as someone who is religious I am far too disturbed by the imagery

Yeah, it was pretty disturbing. It was mostly being disturbed by the way the dev team handled all of those story situations than the actual content. It's like they went out of their way to be shocking.

Barakov

soldat7 said:
I'm afraid to try this after Bayonetta, but I'm on an action game kick as of late so I hope it delivers...

Just go in and expect a straight up GoW clone. The demo was pretty fun for what it was.

FLEABttn

Banned
Very much enjoyed this - but - the demo had nothing very puzzle like. Does anyone know if GoW-esque puzzles will be in the retail game?

TheFallen

Well, I went into the demo very excited. I don't mind GoW clones at all. (if you love something, more of the same is a good thing). However, something about it didn't feel right. I had no idea what was going on in the beginning of the game. Was any of the early portions cut due to it being a demo? As for other flaws: The QTEs are definitely obnoxious, to the point where I couldn't see a few. The textures are a little strange, almost too grainy, especially the beginning. It was a strain on my eyes. Which is a surprise, I was loving all the gameplay videos. Environments had looked amazing, but this didn't translate well to my screen. Still, if there's room for another action game in my schedule come release, I'll definitely check it out.

Wallach

KibblesBits said:
Isn't the first stage limbo?

Why would it be exciting?

Hmmmmm?

Why?

Anyone who has read the works knows why it isn't.

I have a feeling the original works have only the slightest bearing on this game... :lol

jett

D-Member
FLEABttn said:
Very much enjoyed this - but - the demo had nothing very puzzle like. Does anyone know if GoW-esque puzzles will be in the retail game?

From what I've seen, it has lever-based puzzles just like...yeah...

Well, consider me completely shocked. Ive never seen much more than a screen shot(of which I cant even remember) of this game, so I just downloaded the demo for he hell of it. Wow, I cant believe it turned out this nice. If only GoW could run this smoothly...

Edit: Oh yeah, Jesus, GoW clone, blah blah, two back flips and a split. But yeah, its easy to see where the inspiration came from with this one :lol

Top Bottom