• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin announced for PS4/XBO/PC - April 2015

Arafo

Nope. Legit copy bought at the store.
My retail copy does not appear in my Steam list and I have no idea what to do except waiting until 2025 to receive an answer from the support team.

It will show up when the game is released. This thing happen because the game is not yet available on the store.

Kezen

Banned
Oh, then it's probably not gonna be visible in your library until it's up on the Steam storefront, I wouldn't be too worried if I were you, especially since it's a retail copy, worst case scenario you'll have to email shots of the box to someone or something, box+key+disc

It will show up when the game is released. This thing happen because the game is not yet available on the store in your region.

Okay thanks guys. While I'm at it I hope I have bought the DX11 version (since both DX9 and DX11 versions of Scholar of the First Sin exist). System requirements at the back are DX11 only.

Orayn

Do we know if the game is running at 60fps? Also, what are the "enhanced graphics" exactly? Potential PS4 buyer here...

Digital Foundry preview showed the PS4 version running at a nearly locked 60. Enhancements over the PS3/360 versions are resolution (1080p), improved textures (mostly the same as the PC version), and an improved lighting system. (More dynamic light sources, better shadows, better normal maps, dark areas that are actually dark.)

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Digital Foundry preview showed the PS4 version running at a nearly locked 60. Enhancements over the PS3/360 versions are resolution (1080p), improved textures (mostly the same as the PC version), and an improved lighting system. (More dynamic light sources, better shadows, better normal maps, dark areas that are actually dark.)

I assume this means that the durability bug that appeared on PC with unlocked 60 fps is fixed?

Kazuhira

Does it specifically say when you enter a DLC area?
These statues send you to the dlc areas.
mFO8x2F.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
German livestream here, from the beginning (PS4)
http://www.twitch.tv/gameswelt
Man I wanted to ask something in the chat but once I logged in, the chat won't connect anymore. :S What gives?

Basically I noticed one of the sconces was lit and I wanted to ask if the player had lit it before (I didn't catch the stream from the very beginning) or if it was pre-lit. That might make the game look nicer in some places.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
Btw, as there's DLCs now I assume the vanilla final boss is no longer final? Just want to make sure I don't end the game and go to NG+ by accident.

Ferr986

Btw, as there's DLCs now I assume the vanilla final boss is no longer final? Just want to make sure I don't end the game and go to NG+ by accident.

You can't go to NG+ by accident. Dark Souls 2 let's you chose when to go to NG+, so you can keep playing your NG run after killing the final boss, and decide when to move to NG+.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I assume this means that the durability bug that appeared on PC with unlocked 60 fps is fixed?

I'm coming around to the idea that the 60 fps behavior was the intended behavior, and that's why each hand got an extra weapon slot

There is a new "final boss" of DS2 that has some conditional requirements to fight as well as a new ending of sorts I believe. This isn't connected with any DLC however and was introduced with the last update.

What does the new balancing tweaks entail:

"- Enemy and game design adjustments (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)
- Various balancing tweaks (Included in all versions of SoFS, will be added in the 1.10 Patch for existing users)"

After playing Bloodborne for at least 40 hours, this game looks much worse than I remember.

I'm still going to buy it though, I love playing as a magic character and I need to scratch that itch. I do think DS2 had the best magic variety of the Souls games. Can't wait 'til the 1st!

Edit: Ok, watching the stream linked above, the animations are also way worse than I remember... Were they always that bad??

Nope. They officially confirmed the issue is still present in a live stream within the past week. However, they will look into it for future updates was the official word.

How/why they did not look into it for the initial release boggles my mind, but maybe there will be a patch which fixes it later at least.

Mogwai

Nope. They officially confirmed the issue is still present in a live stream within the past week. However, they will look into it for future updates was the official word.

How/why they did not look into it for the initial release boggles my mind, but maybe there will be a patch which fixes it later at least.

They re-release the game and they ignore this issue.

For once, 'lazy developers' becomes a valid term. This has been known since the initial PC release.

Maybe it's intended and durability being twice as long at 30fps was a bug.

I think the reason people assume it's a bug is because the durability at 30fps felt similar to previous games, while at 60fps it felt like your weapon was breaking all the time. I didn't really enjoy having to repair my weapon that often, but if it stays that way I can deal with it.

I was kind of interested in this game when it was announced, I now have almost no interest in getting it at launch given how good Bloodborne is and how much I still have to uncover in it.

Neoweee

I'm coming around to the idea that the 60 fps behavior was the intended behavior, and that's why each hand got an extra weapon slot

Probably, yeah. It only is a "bug" when you hit walls or corpses. Generally, durability mechanics feel like the developers wanted you to have to use more than one weapon, rather than just using a single weapon for most of the game.

For those that don't know the system, everything you have auto repairs to full durability, instantly and automatically, at every bonfire, as long as it isn't fully broken. Then you would need to do a paid repair back in town.

It was never similar to previous games. Honestly, durability should even exist in BB or DkS, because it doesn't fucking do anything other than occasionally make you use a repair shop. It's just... why? Such worthless stat pollution.

EDIT: The "Bug" does't do anything during normal play. Don't. Hit. Walls.

mzupeman

Banned
I was kind of interested in this game when it was announced, I now have almost no interest in getting it at launch given how good Bloodborne is and how much I still have to uncover in it.

I think DS 2 was one of the better games of 2014, but that doesn't say much (in my opinion, of course). But yeah, Bloodborne is much better in my opinion, although it might be an unfair comparison because they're pretty different games.

Nabs

I dont know about that. Ign did a stream last week and the weapons were degrading pretty quick.

I played through the entire thing at 60fps, and it's honestly not a big deal. They give you free repairs at bonfires as long as it's not broken, so all you need to do is carry a spare to switch to occasionally.

bobawesome

I think Bloodborne is the better game but I have enough room in my heart for both.

SRTtoZ

I want to know more about balancing. Did they fix miracles yet? I remember they reduced the spell uses on them and were SUPPOSED to increase healing/damage, but instead reduced damage. My spears were hitting like wet noodles and were so bad I had to respec out of faith.

def sim

Durability really is a non-issue. Bonfires are everywhere and a repair powder can be used in the rare occasion you might prefer one.

I like Dark Souls 2 better but I've only beaten I think 5 bosses in Bloodborne so far. The art style, no spells and weapon/build variety doesn't do much for me. Waiting for the digital foundry on this before I buy the ps4 edition.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I was all pumped to replay this on PS4, then outta nowhere I remembered that goddamn sonofabitch Belfry Sol or whatever it's called. That might be the most obnoxious shit I've ever seen in a game!!

I had completely forgotten about it, I must have suppressed it into my subconscious it was too painful. Is that area mandatory, I can't remember?

SRTtoZ

Durability really is a non-issue. Bonfires are everywhere and a repair powder can be used in the rare occasion you might prefer one.

Ehh, its annoying. Yes bonfires are everywhere but then it respawns the enemies. The durability lasts a long time in Bloodborne and it doesnt affect the game in any way, its stupid IMO.

Corpekata

Banned
I was all pumped to replay this on PS4, then outta nowhere I remembered that goddamn sonofabitch Belfry Sol or whatever it's called. That might be the most obnoxious shit I've ever seen in a game!!

I had completely forgotten about it, I must have suppressed it into my subconscious it was too painful. Is that area mandatory, I can't remember?

Optional.

Hugstable

Banned

Isn't that that zone with the PVP going on all the time? Can't you just go offline?

Top Bottom