• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin announced for PS4/XBO/PC - April 2015

collige

Banned
I can't believe people are actually saying that the durability bug isn't an issue. As a katana user, I ended up having to use three different weapons during a single boss fight on multiple occasions. Having your shit break all the time doesn't make the game more challenging in any interesting way, it's just tedious.

I can't believe people are actually saying that the durability bug isn't an issue. As a katana user, I ended up having to use three different weapons during a single boss fight on multiple occasions. Having your shit break all the time doesn't make the game more challenging in any interesting way, it's just tedious.
Sorry your shit broke but I honestly never had an issue with it.

def sim

Ehh, its annoying. Yes bonfires are everywhere but then it respawns the enemies. The durability lasts a long time in Bloodborne and it doesnt affect the game in any way, its stupid IMO.

It never annoyed me, yeah. I kept moving forward and relied on new bonfires to repair my weapon.

I want to know more about balancing. Did they fix miracles yet? I remember they reduced the spell uses on them and were SUPPOSED to increase healing/damage, but instead reduced damage. My spears were hitting like wet noodles and were so bad I had to respec out of faith.
they nerfed lightning spear? Did that happen when the dlc originally released?

I really liked my faith build in vanilla :/

SRTtoZ

they nerfed lightning spear? Did that happen when the dlc originally released?

I really liked my faith build in vanilla :/

I'm not sure about the time frame but I continued playing DS2 about 4-5 months ago on PC (no DLC) and I saw patch notes for balancing, and yea my build was complete shit after the update.

Here it is, it was changed back in July of last year:

Decrease the number of uses for the following Miracles and Hexes:

Lightning Spear
Great Lightning Spear
Sunlight Spear
Emit Force
Soul Appease
Great Resonant Soul
Profound Still

Increase the damage for the following Miracle through correction to status values:

Lightning Spear
Great Lightning Spear
Sunlight Spear
Emit Force

Which I would have been okay with but they ended up decreasing the damage by accident and never fixed it.

When people complain about durability I feel like they're talking about a different game entirely. It's just never been an issue for me and I have trouble imagining how other people could have issues. Like is there some way the game is being played by people having the issue that is fundamentally different than how I play it? I don't doubt it's been an issue for some, I just wonder how that issue seems to happen for some people but be a complete non-issue for others.

Neoweee

When people complain about durability I feel like they're talking about a different game entirely. It's just never been an issue for me and I have trouble imagining how other people could have issues. Like is there some way the game is being played by people having the issue that is fundamentally different than how I play it? I don't doubt it's been an issue for some, I just wonder how that issue seems to happen for some people but be a complete non-issue for others.

Are you smashing your weapons into walls, or absolutely refusing to have a second weapon equipped?

AJLma

Durability was definitely an issue for me when I tried to create a Black Knight Greateaxe build.

The weapon would break after every 5-10 minutes of play.

Ridley327

I only played DkS2 on the PC, and I never thought once that durability was a big issue. I'd even say it was meant to happen that way, since they give you three slots per hand for weapons, and the threshold to maintain fast roll is higher than it was in previous games. I guess it sucks for people that build a character around one weapon, but it's not like repair powder is in titanite slab availability.

Which I would have been okay with but they ended up decreasing the damage by accident and never fixed it.
The last time I played (post-patch) the decrease in lightning spears really didn't make a difference, I mean you can buy infinite spell herbs, so you have to munch one or two more than you did pre-patch, it's nothing really.

Damn I knew they reduced charges but they didn't increase damage? That's really lame. Loved throwing lightning bolts.

They said they were going to in pre-patch notes but it must have been a typo or miscommunication because it was never "fixed" in subsequent patches.

They may as well have removed them from the game for how useful they'll be to you now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Are you smashing your weapons into walls, or absolutely refusing to have a second weapon equipped?

I feel like the latter is what people are doing. They want to use that one weapon they have all day every day without switching out.

You have three weapon slots in each hand. Switch up sometimes.

I think DS 2 was one of the better games of 2014, but that doesn't say much (in my opinion, of course). But yeah, Bloodborne is much better in my opinion, although it might be an unfair comparison because they're pretty different games.

Everything that I found missing or lacking in Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne has in spades. The lack of ambience of many sceneries, the poorly tuned combat based around encounters with multiple enemies, some unfairly hard unless you "cheese" them... and although there are a lot of encounters with multiple enemies in Bloodborne none of them feel unfair or like they have to be cheesed, you have a fair chance of surviving as you do of screwing up and failing but it doesn't feel like the game is working against me and Dark Souls 2, in many ways did.

I will probably end up picking up this edition of the game some time in the future, but only when it's heavily discounted. I agree with you that DS2 isn't a bad game, but compared to its predecessors and now its successor, it's really lacking in many many ways in my opinion.

Everything that I found missing or lacking in Dark Souls 2, Bloodborne has in spades. The lack of ambience of many sceneries, the poorly tuned combat based around encounters with multiple enemies, some unfairly hard unless you "cheese" them... and although there are a lot of encounters with multiple enemies in Bloodborne none of them feel unfair or like they have to be cheesed, you have a fair chance of surviving as you do of screwing up and failing but it doesn't feel like the game is working against me and Dark Souls 2, in many ways did.
But at the same time, Bloodborne is really crucially flawed in ways that DS2 excels at as well. Things like build and gameplay diversity, functioning multiplayer, item drops in the world to reward exploration, diverse environments and landscapes, reasonable load times, respec options, and quantity of content (not that quantity is necessarily always a good thing, but even without DLC, I feel Dark Souls 2 is easily 50% longer than Bloodborne).

I mean, don't get me wrong, I am LOVING Bloodborne at the moment. But I think there are things about Dark Souls 2 that are simply better and I wish that they had taken some of those design elements over to BB.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Durability really is a non-issue. Bonfires are everywhere and a repair powder can be used in the rare occasion you might prefer one.

I needed to swap weapons (usually the two copies of the Rapier) on most of the longer stretches of the game or else waste a ring slot on Knuckle +2.

HeelPower

Excited to play this.

I am just really excited at the notion of 60 fps souls gameplay and I didn't play any of the DLCs.

Do you guys think the Souls series will stick to 60 fps from here on out ?

def sim

I needed to swap weapons (usually the two copies of the Rapier) on most of the longer stretches of the game or else waste a ring slot on Knuckle +2.

Sure, but non-issue does not mean I didn't repair my weapon at all, it meant that it was never an annoyance. Using repair powder or carrying a second weapon against regular enemies, in specific areas, isn't a problem.

Carlius

Banned

thats just subjective...i never had an issue with the katanas. the only bullshit i call in thsi game is that ring that allows you to die and not lose anything. you could repair that ring everytime and never lose anything when you died. now that is bullshit.

Lamneth

Banned
If the developers target it for consoles,I don't see why not.

If DS3 is on the same level as DS2 graphically,I think it could be possible.

I doubt it will be though, graphics sell sadly and framerate almost always gets compromised on consoles. Let's hope though.

UberLevi

I've got a question. I've been playing through Dark Souls 2 recently and don't have any of the DLC. I think I'm pretty far into the game as I'm currently at the
Demon of Song
boss fight. Should I go ahead and run through the rest of the game before SotFS comes out or just wait and then replay up to that point and move on fresh?

MrPanic

- Enemy and game design adjustments (Only included in next-gen versions of SoFS)

The only thing that's kinda worrisome. Is there any information about what this means? I hope these are just some adjustments better match the better lightning system and not something that makes the nextgen version superior in some way that could easily be done on the old one as well.

Question time. How's the dlc for DS2? Haven't got any of them so this could be a nice moment to pick them up along with the patch. When does this patch come out?

Eh, should I buy this? I never played a Dark Souls game (or Demon's Souls, or Bloodborne). Does it have a strong story behind it? I only like game with a very strong....story (I guess we can say).

I think the reason people assume it's a bug is because the durability at 30fps felt similar to previous games, while at 60fps it felt like your weapon was breaking all the time. I didn't really enjoy having to repair my weapon that often, but if it stays that way I can deal with it.

Only it does not. Weapons in DS2 (even in consoles) always degraded faster than their counterparts in dark souls one or demon's souls, they compensated that by adding an additional weapon slot for each hand.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The only thing that's kinda worrisome. Is there any information about what this means? I hope these are just some adjustments better match the better lightning system and not something that makes the nextgen version superior in some way that could easily be done on the old one as well.

Question time. How's the dlc for DS2? Haven't got any of them so this could be a nice moment to pick them up along with the patch. When does this patch come out?

The DLC is pretty good IMO. The level design is more complex, generally, and each DLC area is aesthetically very different from each other.

As for the DX11 / next-gen version adjustments, they're talking about remixing enemy positions in all the levels and allowing enemies to travel farther before tethering. There's a lot of enemies in places they never showed up before, including encounters with big ones. Enemies can also pursue the player farther.

I believe there are also level design changes such as new shortcuts in certain zones.

As far as I know there aren't any meaningful lighting adjustments.

From what I've seen of previews (mostly Forest of Fallen Giants), From's idea of improved enemy placement is larger mobs. Coupled with the weapon durability bug (which some people mistakenly view as a feature) I imagine you'll have to take 2-3 weapons to make it between bonfires.

The DLC is pretty good. Level design is great, bosses are a mixed bag.

So even though I am pretty upset to hear about the flaws with this game (level design, frame invincibility, enemy difficulty being made difficult by throwing more at you and giving them cheap advantages like huge lock ons, etc), I am still wanting to play it for being a Souls game.

While I enjoy BB, I want to also get back into the lore, shields, spells, and builds of Souls.

I just wont be able to shake off the criticisms that I read, but it still sounds like a good game.

I am curious about what changes they are making, but since we dont seem to know the extent of this, I guess Ill have to wait

Audioboxer

As far as I know there aren't any meaningful lighting adjustments.

From what I've seen of previews (mostly Forest of Fallen Giants), From's idea of improved enemy placement is larger mobs. Coupled with the weapon durability bug (which some people mistakenly view as a feature) I imagine you'll have to take 2-3 weapons to make it between bonfires.

The DLC is pretty good. Level design is great, bosses are a mixed bag.

The durability bug hasn't been fixed and is coming to consoles? :/

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For all the criticism the game got I actually enjoyed it a great deal. The big thing it has going for it: it feels like a really epic journey. The pacing is good and unlike Dark Souls 1, which kind of falls apart after Anor Londo, DS2 does save the best areas for last. A steady progression through increasingly good zones to the finale.

For all the criticism the game got I actually enjoyed it a great deal. The big thing it has going for it: it feels like a really epic journey. The pacing is good and unlike Dark Souls 1, which kind of falls apart after Anor Londo, DS2 does save the best areas for last. A steady progression through increasingly good zones to the finale.

What else does DaS2 do better?

Comparing it to BB, it seems the NG, build variety, and overall exploration rewards is better... right?

(No spoilers please)

Kalnos

Banned
I just wont be able to shake off the criticisms that I read, but it still sounds like a good game.

I wouldn't go into it with that attitude. Depending on why you like these games then a lot of the criticisms could mean fuck-all to you. I have some issues with the game (soul memory, mainly) but I have found plenty of faults with Bloodborne as well.

If you like PvP then this is going to be where its at.

ShogunX

I wouldn't go into it with that attitude. Depending on why you like these games then a lot of the criticisms could mean fuck-all to you. I have some issues with the game (soul memory, mainly) but I have found plenty of faults with Bloodborne as well.

If you like PvP then this is going to be where its at.

Isn't there a new item to combat that?

Top Bottom