• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 PC performance thread

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That video is a bad example. Simply because this area is not at all taxing. Hell I can do 4k/~60 with my 980SLI in that area, but in some later places this is just not possible. In those specific places even on 1440 it is hard to maintain 60fps fo me, and neither GPU nor CPU are even close to being maxed out there.
Go and try doing the same video in
Irithyll
, i'd like to see your FPS on that bridge.

As I said, apart from 2 small areas and that bridge was one of them which hit a low of 52 as I ran over it but the majority of the area itself was 60. The other area is the bit before
Dragonslayer
which was actually the worst at a low of 49, but once again it was a tiny portion of the area. I'm as anal as it gets when it comes to 60fps without dips but those lows weren't prolonged at all, and in the case of the second spot there weren't even any mobs there so sure it dropped to 49 but I was just running past anyway. Overall the game runs great for me at a perfect 60, a few minutes under that target in a 30 hour run didn't hurt the game for me, but obviously they should still fix whatever is causing the drops in those 2 spots.

Max settings
I7 6700k
Gtx970
16gb ram
Installed to Ssd

Getting 60fps@1080p with no dips

There is a small stutter when saving sometimes though as people have mentioned (save icon shows at the same). Stutters perhaps 30% of the times the icon is shown. Very small stutter though. 200-300ms tops

This must be patchable...

I hope a patch will come out next week. I want to play again but these micro freezes are distracting and spoil me on the experience. The I
rythil
D
ungeon
I'm currently at is also suffering from frequent Micro Freezes without auto saving. This is driving me mad.

robin2

Unkindled system here, not even fit to run DS3

i5 2500 vanilla
8 GB ram
geforce gtx 560** 1GB; diver: 314.22

**oveclocked, in terms of performance should be near a 560Ti.

Playing windowed (900p) with everything on low.
I was surprised that the performance, thankfully, improves after the firelink-tutorial area.
I'm not measuring the framerate but I'd say the average floats between 20 and 30 (nearer the latter; also having lots of enemies on screen doesn't seem to make a difference). The major slowdowns occur when there are wide vistas (probably the 1GB of video ram is the weak point here); yet it doesn't seem to go much lower than 20. In closed spaces, it can run much faster (depending on how small and empty the room is), I'd say up to 45 fps.
And I don't get kicked out from online play due to low framerate.
Overall definitely playable.

Bl@de

I wonder when they will patch the lightning issue. Quality on low is terrible ... And the stuttering should be fixed too ... Any announcements or news?

There is an upcoming patch that mentions performance fine tuning and bug fixes:
http://www.darksouls.jp/information_more.html

Translation from reddit:

App Ver 1.04
Regulation Ver 1.05

• Fixed a bug where you might not get items properly while accessing a covenant when a player joins your game.
  • Some NPCs questline events have been made easier to trigger.
  • Made the requirement for joining the Rosaria's Fingers less strict.
  • Fixed a bug when teleporting to Untended Graves.
  • Amended an issue where kicks were being parried.
  • Fixed a bug where Crystal Sage would not re-appear after warping in.
  • Fixed a bug where Dragonslayer Armour would die on its own before you fight.
  • Fixed a bug where Knight Slayer Tsorig would continue to gesture.
  • Fixed a bug where Siegward would fail to save Greirat even though the conditions have been met.
  • Fixed a bug where, when wearing a ring that increases Max HP, the change would not be reflected in some menus.
  • Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would show (or not show) according to the settings.
  • Fixed a bug where the voice chat icon would continue to display when HUD display is set to AUTO.
  • (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where you can't access the functions Quit Game, access bonfire, or use online play items when failing to connect to an online session.
  • (Xbox One) Fixed a bug where the game would crash to the title screen when you fail to connect to an online session.
  • Fine tuned various other things, fine tune performance, and corrected various bugs.
Patch release time still to be determined.

Please fix auto-save stutter, PLEASE!

kms_md

I am having 2 completely different DS3 experiences.

On my i7 3770k, EVGA nvidia 980, and 32 GB of RAM I get horrible drops in frame rate from 60 to 1 with freezes in the game for upwards of several seconds. These occur randomly - I can have upwards of an hour or more without the issue and it will start. It can also start at the start of a session. My temps do not spike on either CPU or GPU during the freezes. I recorded a clip yesterday that I will upload to youtube later today to show what i looks like. I am playing at 1440p with shadows, lighting, effects all put to low. There is no change playing at 1080p.

On my i5 4950T alienware alpha with 16GB of RAM and an 860m, I am having a flawless experience at 1080p.

I have no idea what is going on. On my good machine, the game is unplayable at times, but on the less capable machine with a laptop based GPU, I have no issues.

Yea the game is weird like that.

On my laptop with 860m the game is suprisingly, like very surprisingly, buttery smooth.

It's like magic.

Holding out hope the patch fixes stutter. 1.03.1 was just as vague and it fixed crashing, so maybe this is the one.

It's the only glaring technical issue left.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I7-3770k @4.2ghz
R9 290
16gb ram
SSD
games running at a locked 60 fps with all settings maxed, including lighting. 0 crashes so far, too.

ISee

When playing online (just connected) and being embered (@ full life etc.) my game tends to crash from time to time. Never happens when I put the game in offline mode.

Parsnip

This is an example of the lag i am experiencing:

https://youtu.be/ZXo0mLVavew

absolutely brutal when it happens in combat (or invasions)

Wow, that's awful.
Are you using any background recording solutions like shadowplay? Windows 10 comes with one as well and I think that's on by default too.
Come to think of it, I wonder how well do those two play together if they are both on.

But yeah, that's nuts.

kms_md

I have to manually start shadow play - which I only did to record that bit. I do not enable the Windows recording process - although I am prompted to do it when I start the game.

Frostburn

I have to manually start shadow play - which I only did to record that bit. I do not enable the Windows recording process - although I am prompted to do it when I start the game.

This is either a video card or SSD/HDD failure happening or something is way corrupt on your system. Not normal at all for those specs.

What kind of performance can I expect with the following specs?

Windows 7
i7 920 overclocked to 3.9GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - 2 GB
12 GB RAM

I get around 60 FPS on Dark Souls 1 running it with Nvidia 3D Vision, but I never played Dark Souls 2.

datamage

That is fucked up. Too bad this game seems to have issues with Nvidia and/or Windows 10. I've seen at least two streamers that got their PC version refunded and went with the PS4.

Please don't make blanket statements like that. I'm on Win10 with an Nvidia card and it's been great. (Aside from the hitching when saving issue.)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Please don't make blanket statements like that. I'm on Win10 with an Nvidia card and it's been great. (Aside from the hitching when saving issue.)

For me, the game was running at a solid 30fps with only save icon stutter under Windows 7.

I upgraded to Windows 10, and now I'm getting really annoying stutter when walking into new areas.

This is on a 970 and 12 gigs of RAM.

wheeplash

I'm getting tired of the sudden stutters (fps drops from 45+- to 20+- according to Fraps), I can't even enter the menu during combat because of this.

Those of you experiencing lag, what kind of overlays you are having on? Try turning off everything. Start with the Steam overlay then RTSS, fraps, etc.

kms_md

So I reinstalled and even tried a different drive (an SSD) and I still have the same problems. I loaded Witcher 3 with maxed settings and it is locked to 60 with no freezing.

There is something with DS3 that does not work well with my main set up.

big_z

Weird this game has so many issues seemingly at random. Been solid for me avg 40-60fps maxed out on a 3770k and Gtx670.

Only issue I have is a micro stutter when the text box pops up when picking up an item. Doesn't affect gameplay so it's okay.

So I reinstalled and even tried a different drive (an SSD) and I still have the same problems. I loaded Witcher 3 with maxed settings and it is locked to 60 with no freezing.

There is something with DS3 that does not work well with my main set up.

I have a weird question, do you happen to have Razer Surround Audio Service running? I had this exact same type of freezing occurring with GTA V recently and that service was the culprit.

la_briola

What kind of performance can I expect with the following specs?

Windows 7
i7 920 overclocked to 3.9GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - 2 GB
12 GB RAM

I get around 60 FPS on Dark Souls 1 running it with Nvidia 3D Vision, but I never played Dark Souls 2.

50-60fps with everything on high, but stuff like dof/blur disabled.

Ocho

It's just not possible for me to stay locked 60 fps on my 970, 3570k 4.2 OC. Max or low, I still get frame drops in the 52s. Last night I even hit 42 fps during a boss fight. All other games perform absolutely fine.

sheaaaa

GTX980 here. I'm getting terrible framerate drops and stuttering, anywhere in the game world. Even panning the camera in Firelink Shrine gets me terrible drops.

It's not my system, because I've put the settings to Low and I can't get a locked 60FPS. Tried rolling back the drivers, but I think it made it worse.

Is this common? I don't see much uproar about the PC version of this game but I've had a worse time with it than everything else I've played on PC. When's the next patch due? I think I've had enough with it for the time being.

Ocho

GTX980 here. I'm getting terrible framerate drops and stuttering, anywhere in the game world. Even panning the camera in Firelink Shrine gets me terrible drops.

It's not my system, because I've put the settings to Low and I can't get a locked 60FPS. Tried rolling back the drivers, but I think it made it worse.

Is this common? I don't see much uproar about the PC version of this game but I've had a worse time with it than everything else I've played on PC. When's the next patch due? I think I've had enough with it for the time being.

You are describing exactly what I'm experiencing. Mine is completely playable, though, I hit 60 frequently but it's mostly 57-58.

kms_md

take a look at my video above and see if it is the same problem I am having.

Eusis

Think everyone has had issues like that, it's just a question of how willing they were to tolerate it. I'm just glad I can play at around 30 FPS at 1080p/max here and can greatly improve the framerate by cutting down to 720p, but having an expensive 980 or even just a 970 that by all rights should be curbstomping the game... yeah, that'd be annoying.

ISee

The thing is, performance seems to vary drastically for some people. For example on my overclocked 980 I'm able to get 60fps (with sometimes hitting 57, but I don't care about that) while downsampling from 2400x1350, but I get occasionally crashes and no work around/solution seems to work for me. It's also not my oc because even resetting to factory settings doesn't resolve the issue. Other people seem to suffer from terrible stutter and freezes (3-4 seconds), some people get locked 60fps on 970s other don't... overall I've no idea what's going on here.

I'm experiencing the random stutters/ freezing as well. Not just when saving, but playing as well. It's really annoying. I've tried rolling back drivers and installing to SSD and HDD with no improvement.

I'm on Windows 10 w/ a 980ti.

sol740

After many hours of random CTDs, regardless of lighting settings, other settings, resolution, windowed mode, stock clocks, and the kitchen sink I gave up and bought a PS4 copy. I'm at
Archdragon Peak
now, level 72 with a +10 Heavy Greatsword, I assume closing out my first playthrough. I miss the 60 frames and instant load times, but the crashing made the game unplayable. Steam denied my refund request because of the hours I put into the game, which is fine, FROM can have my money because the game is excellent, and I will finish my DEX build on PC. This was pre-1.03 so the issues may be squashed, but I'm too sucked into my PS4 run to put much effort into my original.

Win 10
i7 3770k
GTX 970
16GB RAM

kms_md

Anyone think it could be an OS-related issue? I've considered going back to Windows 7 after using 10 for some time.

I doubt it as well - I am running it without issue at all on an Alienware Alpha i5 which is running Windows 10 and has an nvidia 860m. Until I can figure out the stuttering on my main machine, I will run it on the smaller machine.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The thing is, performance seems to vary drastically for some people. For example on my overclocked 980 I'm able to get 60fps (with sometimes hitting 57, but I don't care about that) while downsampling from 2400x1350, but I get occasionally crashes and no work around/solution seems to work for me. It's also not my oc because even resetting to factory settings doesn't resolve the issue. Other people seem to suffer from terrible stutter and freezes (3-4 seconds), some people get locked 60fps on 970s other don't... overall I've no idea what's going on here.

I wouldn't mind if the game consistently ran at say 25 fps if I lock it to 30 or 55 fps if I lock it to 60.

What drives me to the point of insanity is that regardless of where I lock it, it randomly stutters down to 25/55 for a second then back to 30/60 when I'm walking around. I just can't deal with that.

Top Bottom