• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 PC performance thread

jb1234

I've always had random stuttering at times (drops to 45 fps and also hitches) but it's been getting much worse in later areas. Very frustrating.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do you have to limit to 30? Weird I have a Win 10 970 system and have enjoyed the entire game max settings at an almost perfect 60 fps. What cpu do you have. I have i5 4670k @4.1 ghz. Maybe my overclocking has made the difference. Both my cpu and gpu are overclocked.

I can also run it borderless at 60hz and it removes the stutter, but then I get general frame drops unless I drop my settings a lot. I can't stand a non-constant frame rate, so I just dropped it to 30 to get no general drops at max settings.

I'll have to pay more attention to it, but I noticed it in Firelink, can't imagine it was still doing asset loading around the bonfire.

I'm not sure if it's asset loading... just guessing. But yeah, that stutter isn't related to auto-saving. The auto-save stutter was far worse.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have a R9 280X and was trying to figure out why I couldn't get a consistent 60 FPS at 1080p when benchmarks show it getting 45-50 FPS at 1400p and since I've maxed out other games like Witcher 3 that are much more graphically impressive than Dark Souls 3. After fiddling around with my computer I finally realized that by downloading the new AMD drivers I also got their new Crimson app, which wiped my previous overclock settings. I re-OC'ed my card and saw a nice bump in FPS, but I still wanted a solid 60 so I changed the following settings:
- Shadows to Low
- Motion Blur to Off
- Depth of Field to Off

Now I have a nice, silky smooth
(stone)
60 FPS. I must say, it makes a huge difference in how the game feels and plays.

Roarer

Do you have to limit to 30? Weird I have a Win 10 970 system and have enjoyed the entire game max settings at an almost perfect 60 fps. What cpu do you have? I have i5 4670k @4.1 ghz. Maybe my overclocking has made the difference. Both my cpu and gpu are overclocked.

I'm also running a 970 on Win 10 with a lot of stuttering and drops to 45-50 at times. I have an i5 2500k OC'd to 4.5 Ghz with 8 GB RAM and an SSD. My 970 is factory overclocked with some additional overclocking in Afterburner.

Haven't tried the latest patch yet, but got used to the stuttering and drops anyway. Still find it weird seeing a lot of people getting stable 60 fps on their 970s.

shiyrley

Banned
People with random drops (aside from stuttering): have you tried to force the maximum performance mode (aka don't allow the GPU to downclock) in the dark souls 3 profile in the nvidia control panel?

Renekton

Runs rock solid on 1.04 for the most part.

Probably can never get rid of asset / LOD stutter, maybe with Intel's Optane someday :)

Mogwai

A question to the PC people... Are there shadows in the later areas such as
Anor Londo
? I'm on PS4 and some of the early areas have character shadows, but they seem cut later on...

boneso

6700k@4.6ghz
16GB DDR4@2400Mhz
980@1480Mhz
1440p GSync

As of patch 1.04 it is running at a consistent 60fps. Gsync probably helps with stutters but it is a smooth as can be right now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I can now leave lighting on high. Hooray!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do you do that?

Nvidia CP -> Manage 3D settings -> Global Settings tab -> Power management mode, but as I understand it, the power management bug was fixed in 364.96 and the performance issues people are having with older cards are unrelated.

sheaaaa

Nvidia CP -> Manage 3D settings -> Global Settings tab -> Power management mode, but as I understand it, the power management bug was fixed in 364.96 and the performance issues people are having with older cards are unrelated.

Ah cheers, nvm then. I thought the patch improved things, but I played again last night and really noticed the auto-save stutter worse than when I played an hour in the morning, both post-patch.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Dragonslayer Armour
boss fight is incredibly laggy for me, is it like that for anyone else? I get < 30fps.

That area has the worst performance in the game from my experience, but nothing that bad, from 60 to around 50 in parts, maybe 55 on the boss itself.

kewlmyc

I'm getting more stable framerate after overclocking my CPU. I rarely drop now and when I do, it's usually due to the save issue. This is way better than when it used to drop randomly no matter what I did. Playing on Max settings

CPU: i7-3770k upped from 3.5GHz to 4.5GHz.
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GTX 980Ti

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Welp, I had a hard crash yesterday. I had to manually reset my PC. Weak. Never had that happen before. Even the bonfire issue just soft crashed me.

120v

Welp, I had a hard crash yesterday. I had to manually reset my PC. Weak. Never had that happen before. Even the bonfire issue just soft crashed me.

same here. unsure whether it was the game or not... but i don't think i've ever had a game crash on me before on this PC

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I am running an amd 965 and a 2gb gtx 960 so my performance is usually in the mid 40s anyway.

Sounds about right then, I drop 10 frames in certain parts of that area as well, although only small parts are that bad, it's usually less. It just seems to be an issue with the area itself.

epmode

Haven't played since the latest patch. Just tried it out and I'm getting a half second stutter every ~10 seconds. Prior to the patch, I'd only get a stutter when autosaving.

I guess I'll come back later.

(Titan X, G-Sync)

Bruzur

Neo Member
I've been thoroughly enjoying the game, overall.
However, it's a little disappointing when a game such as The Witcher 3 runs at more than 100fps @1440p on my Titan X SLI + 5960X system... Meanwhile, this game struggles to maintain 60fps.

Not to mention, it looks like something straight out of 2009.
And trust me, I've put my time in. I'm on NG+3 now, with more hours surely to go. It's just strange that numerous sections feel poorly optimized (for SLI).

Such is life.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've been thoroughly enjoying the game, overall.
However, it's a little disappointing when a game such as The Witcher 3 runs at more than 100fps @1440p on my Titan X SLI + 5960X system... Meanwhile, this game struggles to maintain 60fps.

Not to mention, it looks like something straight out of 2009.
And trust me, I've put my time in. I'm on NG+3 now, with more hours surely to go. It's just strange that numerous sections feel poorly optimized (for SLI).

Such is life.

Just FYI Demon Souls released in 2009, so you're saying you see no difference between that and Dark Shouls III?

Eusis

Just FYI Demon Souls released in 2009, so you're saying you see no difference between that and Dark Shouls III?
Oh, they raised the graphical bar to Uncharted 2 now!

But yeah, the games really have gotten better visually, at worst they stay consistent with how you remember prior games looking, relative to the competiton perhaps, or memory just fades and it matches your memories roughly enough.

jett

D-Member
I remember someone out there saying bonfire shadows had been removed from the game, but they're definitely there.

0Jb6PB9.jpg

kinggroin

Banned
I remember someone out there saying bonfire shadows had been removed from the game, but they're definitely there.

Whoa...this game has character shadows?

It's the only thing that seemed missing, marring the otherwise phenomenal presentation.

Jedi2016

Yeah, I noticed the shadows just today. If they were missing at some point, they're certainly back now.

Performance overall seems a little smoother (today was the first time I've gotten to play since the patch dropped). I did get one save-stutter, or what appeared to be one, but it may just have been a loading-stutter, because it didn't seem to repeat itself later on when I picked up items or read messages. Loading-stutters are still happening now and then, but not nearly as bad as the old save-stutters.

Buburibon

Yes, they were removed with the April 18th update, but have been brought back with the latest patch that landed on the 28th. They're definitely there as of now.

is this really a thing? I'm on 364.51 and I'm not sure if its happening or not.

Ladekabel

My system is GTX 660, i5-2500 and 8GB Ram. Twenty hours everything was fine (if you ignore varying framerate even on lowest settings but nothing too bad). Now I'm in
Irithyll Dungeon
and everytime I die and respawn at the bonfire the framerate drops down to 10 or lower. Doesn't go higher than that. Have to close the game in order to get the framerate up. That's until I die again though.

smashism

Been trying for days to troubleshoot this. I get a steady 25-30 fps until I do a fresh restart, right after my FPS goes back up to 60. I can't seem to find the culprit. Any ideas?

EDIT: Yeah, it seems if I run the game a 2nd time after a restart, my framerate halves. I find this totally perplexing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
is this really a thing? I'm on 364.51 and I'm not sure if its happening or not.

You'd probably be aware of the bug if it were affecting you. It results in the driver forcibly dropping the GPU core clock from its boost level to idle level, which dramatically affects performance.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Been trying for days to troubleshoot this. I get a steady 25-30 fps until I do a fresh restart, right after my FPS goes back up to 60. I can't seem to find the culprit. Any ideas?

EDIT: Yeah, it seems if I run the game a 2nd time after a restart, my framerate halves. I find this totally perplexing.

I had the exact same thing with Mad Max, I honestly can't remember how I fixed it but have you done a full DDU reinstall of the latest drivers? That never hurts.

Is your motherboard Gigabyte? I've heard of people having this issue due to a dodgy BIOS with this manufacturer. If so you may want to flash the latest.

I assume you've checked your CPU and GPU temps as well? And are you using GpUz/HWMonitor to monitor your clocks when this happens?

And have you upgraded to Windows 10? I had all sorts of performance issues after a simple upgrade until I did an old fashioned clean install and it has been great since.

Trigker

Guys i have connectivity issues (i guess). Every 10/15 minutes i find myself disconnected from the servers and my PC connection isn't working anymore. Also i can't really see any white/purple/red signs, only orange messages and blood stains.
Can i do something?

Darkrider

You'd probably be aware of the bug if it were affecting you. It results in the driver forcibly dropping the GPU core clock from its boost level to idle level, which dramatically affects performance.

I've moved from ATI cards but back in the day I had a similar problem. Alt+tab back to desktop and then returning to the game would resolve it.

Top Bottom