• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 PC performance thread

Mr. Plankton

Neo Member
So the latest Nvidia drivers seem to have added a new Power Management setting "Prefer Consistent Performance". At least, I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before.

I haven't done any proper frame rate tests, but performance is dramatically more consistent (so I guess it works as advertised!). There's still occasional stutters, but they're much more rare. I was doing a boss (P.S.) that required some pretty precise dodges, and the frequent stutters kept killing me. Turning on the setting was extremely noticeable.

Give it a shot!

Better than "Prefer Maximum Performance"?

Korezo

Idk why but every time I play the game the fps is worst. Can't hold stable 60fps anymore even at 1080p with 980ti single or sli.

epmode

Anyone else getting quarter-second stutters every 30 seconds or so? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the autosaving and it happens in virtually every area in the game. Maybe an asset streaming thing?

When the game first launched, I'm pretty sure I was only getting pauses when the game autosaved so this is different.

My system is good enough to handle this at 60 FPS so it's not substandard hardware.

Jedi2016

Anyone else getting quarter-second stutters every 30 seconds or so?
If by "anyone" you mean "everyone", then yes. Something engine-related, I assume, since it's happening regardless of hardware.

Hehe.. I wonder if their solution to the auto-save hitching was to save at fixed intervals rather than right when you picked up the item. Happened to me in the middle of a boss fight once.

EDIT: Anyone else having issues with ambient audio since the last patch? It's going quiet like it should when a NPC starts talking, but it ramps back up again during the conversation (still quiet enough to hear what the NPC is saying), and then goes back down to dead quiet when they speak the next sentence. Very odd. And it's occasionally happening when I'm just walking around, the ambient audio will suddenly get very quiet, then slowly come back up to normal.

I'm still getting fucking freezes with this. Will be playing it just fine and then a clean complete freeze. Sound still going. Have to quit via task manager. Any tips on what could fix this?

I'm still getting fucking freezes with this. Will be playing it just fine and then a clean complete freeze. Sound still going. Have to quit via task manager. Any tips on what could fix this?

That sounds like your system is unstable, GPU driver crashed. Do you have your GPU overclocked?

Kieli

I don't have that option.
thinking.gif

Odd...

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 870M
Driver Version: 365.10

This option is likely to be there for mobile GPUs only, and I think that it has something to do with power savings as on the desktop there really is no need for it if you can select "Prefer maximum performance" instead.

Would this feature even be necessary if you plug your laptop into a power outlet? At that point, it should be indistinguishable from a desktop.

That sounds like your system is unstable, GPU driver crashed. Do you have your GPU overclocked?

It's factory overclocked but the temps are low and other games don't cause this problem. It seems like they haven't fixed the crashing on 7 series Nvidia cards completely. It has happened twice so far in 10 hours of play but it's still frustrating depending on the situation it freezes in.

dr_rus

Would this feature even be necessary if you plug your laptop into a power outlet? At that point, it should be indistinguishable from a desktop.

I'm thinking that this option just turns off Optimus and forces everything to run on the discreet GPU. But that's just my idea, I don't know what it does.

It's factory overclocked but the temps are low and other games don't cause this problem. It seems like they haven't fixed the crashing on 7 series Nvidia cards completely. It has happened twice so far in 10 hours of play but it's still frustrating depending on the situation it freezes in.

Temp doesn't mean anything regarding stability though and factory OC can still cause that.

It doesn't hurt to try. Just google your card reference clock and set it at that. Test and see if it helps.

So is anyone else still having crashing issues? It got really bad for me at
Central Irithyll
and isn't fixed with the latest patch. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to a new drive, but it's still happening. Not sure what triggers it, seems pretty random.

pa22word

Stuttering seems way worse on my end now. Used to I'd only get the save stutters, but as of this new patch I'm getting hard stutters that actually really shit up the gameplay.

Tanis

I only started to play this week and the performance has been excellent. After 1.06.1 which just downloaded I'm getting 1-2 second hitches randomly.

gotoadgo

Stuttering seems way worse on my end now. Used to I'd only get the save stutters, but as of this new patch I'm getting hard stutters that actually really shit up the gameplay.
Exactly the same issue here. Used to be save stutters and now it's constant. Somehow beat the last two story bosses despite this. Really bad.

The save stutters were fixed in the previous patch for me.
But this one here introduced new random micro freezes that weren't happening before, sometimes lasting for a good second.

What the fuck FROM. I'll just stop playing this game until all technical issues have been resolved. Even if it takes months. I can't play like this anymore. Completely fed up now.

pa22word

Looks like everyone's GPUs are randomly switching between idle and full load with this new patch. That's what is causing the random performance. People are reddit were discussing it here. https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4j5dph/pc_patch_1041_is_out_now_on_steam/d33tyy7

Reddit thread says to try this:

"I went to Device Manager to downgrade my [Xinput driver] to the one from 2009. I'm running Windows 7. I have no problems :)"

I'll give it a shot and report back later. If anything, it should be immediately noticeable as it was hammering me pretty hard in the gardens earlier.

EDIT: bleh, greyed out roll back option ftl T_T I'll see if I can't track down an older driver.

EDIT2: can confirm it has nothing to do with Xinput on my end. Tried playing the game with mouse and keyboard, and had the same issues.

EDIT3: Have tried setting all settings to low and scaling upwards to see if its a bugged setting, and nope. Have the same issue hard stutter regardless.

Adaren

Better than "Prefer Maximum Performance"?

Just to follow up on this: I don't really know.

When I was originally getting constant and frustrating stutters fighting a certain boss (P
ontiff
S), changing that setting made a hugely noticeable difference. In the area after the boss, though, I started stuttering pretty badly again, and it's been hit-and-miss from there on out.

It may be helping some, but it definitely wasn't a silver bullet.

Dont know if updating to the new AMD version or the dark souls 3 patch is causing stuttering :|

AMD 7970 3GB GHz is my card. Never had issues before..

Aw crap, new patch introduced even worse stuttering? I was already fine with the save stuttering, but during in-game and exploring now would not be good. Hopefully they fix this soon...

Buburibon

The save stutters were fixed in the previous patch for me.
But this one here introduced new random micro freezes that weren't happening before, sometimes lasting for a good second.

What the fuck FROM. I'll just stop playing this game until all technical issues have been resolved. Even if it takes months. I can't play like this anymore. Completely fed up now.

I can definitely confirm that. The game now actually freezes for a second or so at random.

Eusis

Yeah, micro freezes on my end.

Uhh, I'd been wanting to play Witcher 3 more anyway. Or do something more productive.

The game was near unplayable after installing the patch. Still sutters after installing the new driver

Also installed Razor Cortex and it gave me a 20fps boost averaging the fps to 60fps. Using a GT 650m btw.

Lorcain

I have a gtx 980ti and it's micro-stuttering for me after this patch too. It actually goes from 60fps to almost 0 during the hitches, then up to about 30 and back to 60. Really annoying. Was very smooth for me before this patch.

Gojeran

I have a gtx 980ti and it's micro-stuttering for me after this patch too. It actually goes from 60fps to almost 0 during the hitches, then up to about 30 and back to 60. Really annoying. Was very smooth for me before this patch.

Having massive issues with the game now with 980Ti. Game stutters hugely now to 25fps or less sometimes and it happens way more often. Previously it was very rare and would drop to 55fps. This patch is so fucked now b

Jedi2016

Looks like everyone's GPUs are randomly switching between idle and full load with this new patch. That's what is causing the random performance. People are reddit were discussing it here. https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4j5dph/pc_patch_1041_is_out_now_on_steam/d33tyy7
Yeah, I noticed that the last time I played... when the performance hiccuped for a few seconds, my card got really quiet, like it was no longer under load. I wish they could get this crap sorted.

Gbraga

It'd be cool if Steam introduced a version select menu. We should be able to roll back to previous patch when shit like this happens.

Eusis

New nVidia patch do anything to remedy this? Doubt it (it's around for Doom afterall, not DSIII) but it could be a pleasant surprise.

Qwyjibo

Put me down as well for getting random stutters after the most recent patch. And everything was working fairly well before. Damn.

Yup, new patch introduced straight up freezing for a second instead of stuttering.

I mean, I know FROM's technical team is not as good as their other departments but come on now...

Ysiadmihi

Banned
In addition to the half-second freezes, the new patch also seems to have killed my online functionality. I don't think I'm banned or anything because, well, I haven't hacked the game, and I haven't gotten any sort of warning message. New patch pls From.

It has been a very long time since I've had an issue with a PC game which has left me completely unable to play, but this crashing issue has has done it. And what's worse is that is seems to be pretty uncommon with no real indication of what's causing it!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
SLI Titan X- getting random freezes that last almost a full second then right back to 60 fps. So odd.

Same here, same setup. The autosave hitches were annoying but minor, this is actually gameplay breaking if they happen at an inopportune time. I guess I'll switch to something else until From gets their act together.

Top Bottom