• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 PC performance thread

see5harp

Add my name to the list with the 1-second hitching problems after latest game and/or Nvidia driver updates. What the hell?

Noticed it within 30 seconds of playing. This shit is worse than the console versions now. The pause actually got me killed by an invader.

Kaldaien

Neo Member
Given this crappy new patch, I have VERY little motivation to keep modding Dark Souls III. I was chugging along, hoping to improve their texture streaming by caching some of the resources.

If they can make performance suck this much with a single patch ... I'm outclassed here. Their ability to break their game outpaces my ability to fix it.

UrbanRats

Doing the P
rinces
with these freezes was not fun, lol.
Every time he would speak, the game would freeze for half a second.
I did it tho.

Jin

I'm wondering if the stuttering is the anti-cheat From implemented. The patch was to fix the hacking problem and it reminded me when GTAV had a similar mico freezes when they patch some anti cheat that's processing in the background. It took R* another patch or two to finally get rid of it.

KHlover

Banned
Add my name to the list with the 1-second hitching problems after latest game and/or Nvidia driver updates. What the hell?

Didn't update NVIDIA drivers since installing the game Day-1 and still have this new freezing issue, pretty sure FROM fucked that up all by themselves

AJLma

I'm also getting the split-second stutters every 60 seconds or so.

Also getting summoned way more often for Darkmoon. Must've had 6-7 summons in my last session.

Gbraga

And I'm still on my first playthrough >_<

From, plssssss

I guess I'll play Uncharted until they fix it. I can deal with the freezes while exploring, but I REALLY don't want to fight a boss with this shit.

SpokkX

I am also getting these second long pauses but mine are fairly irregular. I've had three in about 30 mins of play.

Getting these also after the latest patch. Luckily just completed NG. Will wait for dlc to pick up again, hopefully patched by then

Anyway. Easy goty imo

Sayad

So a lot of people are getting the stutter, hopefully they fix it soon, I was thinking there was something wrong with my PC!

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Didn't update NVIDIA drivers since installing the game Day-1 and still have this new freezing issue, pretty sure FROM fucked that up all by themselves

My drivers are also from one or two revisions before Dark Souls 3's release date and I still have the new freeze. It's definitely the game.

robgrab

+1 pausing/stuttering for me too. I thought my computer was trying to run something in the background. It used to only happen when autosaving but now it happens almost constantly. I installed the new NVIDIA drivers yesterday but I don't remember if it was doing that before I installed them. Each day I play I archive my save files just in case.

Eusis

+1 pausing/stuttering for me too. I thought my computer was trying to run something in the background. It used to only happen when autosaving but now it happens almost constantly. I installed the new NVIDIA drivers yesterday but I don't remember if it was doing that before I installed them. Each day I play I archive my save files just in case.
It probably would have happened before hand, which is probably NOT good news as you could at least roll back drivers.

Getting really terrible framerate drops every 1-3 minutes, where my framerate drops to 20fps and the game freezes for less than half a second.

unfun times, beat the final boss like this.

finalflame

Gold Member
The stutter is utter fucking bullshit. The game worked fine before, do they not at all test this shit before pushing it out over a weekend?

Motherfuck.

Jelle

Glad I read about the stutters here before playing again - I'm now playing without an internet connection so the game doesn't update.

The stutters are pretty annoying but infinitely worse if you are playing online with a friend etc because you can go to hit someone, then stutter and for your friend its like a momentary lag spike and you could both get caught in a combo or something.

FromSoft have fantastic world design and art direction etc but considering how much the Souls series has sold they feel technically incompetent. not that i could do any better but y'know.

MetalGearSilly

Neo Member
I asked for a refund long ago - when I had framerate issues from the start. I had spent too much time creating my character so my "playtime" was already 3 hours, which was too much to get a refund.

Now I'm at like over 30 hours and I coped with the framerate issue..but this new stuttering issue is outright offensive.

I'd rather have the graphics of DS2 and play smoothly at 60 FPS than this broken mess.

Ran like a dream on my laptop, but after that last update, the game pauses for almost a full second about every minute.

Real fucking annoying. I was fighting
prince ---- lothric
last night, and although I finally beat him after like 30 tries, that second long lag definitely killed me a few times.

The fuck has happened to performance now, FPS drops to 20 frequently, unrealted to saving/loading!

And I'm still on my first playthrough >_<

From, plssssss

I guess I'll play Uncharted until they fix it. I can deal with the freezes while exploring, but I REALLY don't want to fight a boss with this shit.

PC version is still my least played, i was busy with other games in the brief period it seemed to mostly work.

Gbraga

PC version is still my least played, i was busy with other games in the brief period it seemed to mostly work.

It was perfect just before this patch >_<

Sure, the chance of getting invaded and banned sucked, but if that's the fix, I'd rather be stuck with offline mode, or maybe they could take down the matchmaking servers and have only messages until they fix their shit >_<

Oh well, still played quite a bit today, as long as I don't get into a boss fight, it's doable. Still have some exploring to do in a dungeon, so hopefully it'll be fixed by the time I reach my next boss.

I have the same slow down or one second freeze issue on my laptop (GTX 970m). The game is running okay most of the time except in Firelink Shrine, first area (high wall of lothric) and Irithylle (there are some occasional fps drops in almost all areas).

I don't know how will my GTX 780 will perform and I don't care because it will be replaced soon. I am just concerned about some of the demanding areas in the game; you need some overhead in performance to get locked 60fps most of the time.

SGRX

I am having the same issues (6600K/970). It ran absolutely perfectly until the latest update, after which I am getting frequent 1 second freezes. Of the 3 attempts I've made on Princes so far, 2 of those deaths were due to the freezing screwing up my timing. I am just going to stop playing until they fix this shit.

Tanis

It looks like they rolled back the patch. It's back to 1.04 and 1.06 instead of 1.04.1 and 1.06.1.

YES! I was hoping From would get onto this when they got to work on Monday. I'm still bummed I lost the weekend but at least I got to try out Stellaris.

**Edit - Just played for an hour, it's all back to normal. No more hitching online or offline.

la_briola

Patch 1.04.2 for pc is up
Kimmundi (Bamcos CM) said:
Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay, indeed the patch has been redeployed as the dev team managed to fix the stutter issue! Let us know if everything's good (regarding the patch, not poise/covenants/summonings... etc)

yay

valouris

Yay for no hitching again, but I just arrived to
Lothric Castle
and man, does the performance tank, even in lowest settings. Any tips?

Buburibon

Yay for no hitching again, but I just arrived to
Lothric Castle
and man, does the performance tank, even in lowest settings. Any tips?

The only thing that could help is overclocking your CPU further if at all possible. For reference, my 5820K at 4.5Ghz cannot deliver a consistent 60fps at that location no matter the settings.

robgrab

New patch coming today (1.07). They're going to be altering a number of weapons including my go to, the Dragon Slayer’s Axe. I really hope they don't nerf it since I've based my entire build around that weapon.

Top Bottom