• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 review

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
This thread has me moping about the wait for the next From game and ds3 isn't even officially out yet. One more stupid week left ugh.

JudgeN

A review embargo for a game that people always download on xbone and came out in japan 3 weeks ago. What the god damn point?

I haven't checked but i'm sure there is a full DS3 wiki already with everything on it

The world design is so, so good. Unlike Dark Souls 1 which dropped off with areas like Lost Izalith, Dark Souls 3's world design remains strong throughout.

Jb

The world design is so, so good. Unlike Dark Souls 1 which dropped off with areas like Lost Izalith, Dark Souls 3's world design remains strong throughout.

That's really exciting to hear. DaS1 is fantastic but some of the latter areas and bosses are pretty disappointing. I feel like we have yet to get a Dark Souls game that doesn't drop the ball at some point.

Afrocious

That's really exciting to hear. DaS1 is fantastic but some of the latter areas and bosses are pretty disappointing. I feel like we have yet to get a Dark Souls game that doesn't drop the ball at some point.

Sounds like DS3 might be the one.

I won't hold it to it, but I eagerly await.

Well, BB's soundtrack was pretty average for the most part so it wouldn't take much.

I consider Bloodborne's soundtrack to be the best of the games.

Sounds awesome! The only thing I'm worried about are the online aspects, because as far as I understand, you can't play online before the day 1 patch hits right?

I think it's their best. One boss tune in particular is amazing

It's the best. I still can't get the intro boss music out of my mind.

Yes, yes it is. Arguably the best OST in the Soulsborne series. From hit it out of the park in every way imo.

Nicee

Well, BB's soundtrack was pretty average for the most part so it wouldn't take much.
rYRYJgkl.jpg

stew

The reviewer knows the Souls series very well. He has made a lot of guides and walkthroughs, he knows what he's talking about.
So very excited.

saturnine

All I hope for regarding the soundtrack is for it to take a page from Demon's Souls OST. No more bombastic full orchestra please, give me something more interesting.

All I hope for regarding the soundtrack is for it to take a page from Demon's Souls OST. No more bombastic full orchestra please, give me something more interesting.

It's mostly bombastic, actually...In a very melancholic and pronouced way that hasn't been there before. It's dramatic and overwhelmingly awesome!

I've haven't heard quirky pieces like Pinwheel's tune but the music that is there seems to fit to the world and what's happening.

Odrion

Banned
Sounds good but eeehh... Dark Souls 2 has a trajectory of critics really praising and loving the game but fan reception was incredibly polarized.

orochi91

Quick translation of pros and cons :

Pro :
- Great conclusion to the saga
- Breathtaking panoramas
- A rich and coherent world
- Fight mechanics improved
- Memorable bosses
- A masterly soundtrack
- Excellent length

Con :
- The UI could be better
- That's all !

I've noticed that during most footage online, the soundtrack is indeed fabulous this time.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Fret not, people. Game is absolutely incredible, best in series even. Don't see anyone being disappointed here, Miyazaki magic is back.

Moonkid

It's mostly bombastic, actually...In a very melancholic and pronouced way that hasn't been there before. It's dramatic and overwhelmingly awesome!

I've haven't heard quirky pieces like Pinwheel's tune but the music that is there seems to fit to the world and what's happening.
This and the other perspectives on the soundtrack is exactly what I wanted to hear. I really did want more of what they did on Bloodborne's DLC, and even from the first gameplay trailer that seemed to be the case with Kitamura going ham. Rest assured I will hold off until I play the game for myself c:

SenkiDala

If people are wondering, I wanna add that the reviewer played the game on PS4 in Japanese, and he doesn't understand a word of Japanese, so his review is based on an opinion that doesn't include any opinion about the plot, the lore or many details of gameplay of the weapons, items, etc.

Ratrat

If people are wondering, I wanna add that the reviewer played the game on PS4 in Japanese, and he doesn't understand a word of Japanese, so his review is based on an opinion that doesn't include any opinion about the plot, the lore or many details of gameplay of the weapons, items, etc.
It should be 'impressions' instead of a review imo. But hen again, I dont care about story in these games.

SenkiDala

It should be 'impressions' instead of a review imo. But hen again, I dont care about story in these games.

Yes I know that many people enjoy those games without caring at all about the story/lore, but to me it's important and I know that I'm not the only one so I wanted to add that. :)

Xliskin

But that didn't happen? It wasn't cut content. It was clearly completely separate from the main story and was released 8 months after the game.

so does 8 mounths enough to develop and polish a DLC 9-12 hours to beat Idon't think so , sure it's not a cut content but it was there from the start they did it in Dark Souls 1 as well

Embargo is days away lol

Can I ask why you (by you I mean all reviewers) care about embargoes in this case? (you do reviews too right?)

Why not just just get the japanese version and do what you want , for once you don't have to do the monkey dance for the publishers to get access on their terms.

Fhtagn

so does 8 mounths enough to develop and polish a DLC 9-12 hours to beat Idon't think so , sure it's not a cut content but it was there from the start they did it in Dark Souls 1 as well

While they also finished working on DS3.

They barely got BB out the door in time, it got delayed a month just before release. To think that the DLC was already finished then and waiting for release later is madness.

Top Bottom