• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls GFWL to Steamworks Migration is now live.

MayMay

Banned
So my game looks like this, and to me it seems like there's a lot of aliasing. Is this the best the game can look?

Install DSFix, and if you have that already make sure its rendering at the proper resolution. Thats 720p console stuff in your screenshot lol

So my game looks like this, and to me it seems like there's a lot of aliasing. Is this the best the game can look?

As others are saying, get DSfix.

It's non invasive. Just toss the few files into the game's directory and customize the .ini file to your liking.

60fps and higher resolutions are merely a few clicks away!

Murkrow

Banned
The debug exe only works on the GFWL version of the game, which doesn't have VAC as far as I know. GFWL/XBL does have bans though so I still wouldn't go online with it.

It works fine with steam version. I just tested it. Just stuff like model viewer or other things doesn't work than it crashes.

Also everyone, if you have DSfix make sure to lock fps again, yes even in the 2.3 version.

Also has anyone an tutorial which showcases all the debug functions, since some stuff is still in japanese.

TGMIII

DS2 uses it and isn't listed. Also, this is a beta build, so things could change.

VAC was disabled for DS2 earlier this year as far as I remember. So unless they stealth turned it on and it hasn't banned anyone since they publicly announced it being turned off I'm fairly sure it's gone. Steamworks doesn't instantly mean a product uses VAC.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I was just playing as Andre of Astora and I drop kicked the shit out of a hollow.

They went flying! It was amazing!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Because I followed the proper instructions and updated the DSfix, I guess.

I get the feeling confusing 2.2 with 2.3 is gonna be this topics "DISABLE IN-GAME ANTI ALIASING"

You forgot to change the internal resolution in Dsfix.ini. It's currently just upscaling from 720 it looks like. So no, it'll look so much better

Relevant ini values:

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080

# The display width/height
# 0 means use the same resolution as renderWidth/Height
# (use for downscaling - if in doubt, leave at 0)
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080

Since your picture is in 1080p just go ahead and copy the values. You can also use multiples of the 1920x1080 resolution to downsample from a higher resolution. That's the main reason DSFix was made in the first place, to allow for higher resolutions than the console versions :).

VAC was disabled for DS2 earlier this year as far as I remember. So unless they stealth turned it on and it hasn't banned anyone since they publicly announced it being turned off I'm fairly sure it's gone. Steamworks doesn't instantly mean a product uses VAC.

I didn't know that. (I haven't followed/played much since release week).

And I'm fully aware.
It works fine with steam version. I just tested it. Just stuff like model viewer or other things doesn't work than it crashes.

Also everyone, if you have DSfix make sure to lock fps again, yes even in the 2.3 version.

Also has anyone an tutorial which showcases all the debug functions, since some stuff is still in japanese.

Not using DSFix, but the beta version refuses to start with that exe. I'll try some stuff.
I wouldn't use it, I'd just like to be invaded by a boss :C

Lol I'd love if somebody did that to me.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I wouldn't use it, I'd just like to be invaded by a boss :C

If it's worth anything to you, I forgot to set steam to offline and someone invaded me while I was playing as the hell knight Drake.

Needless to say it was a short battle.

I was just playing as Andre of Astora and I drop kicked the shit out of a hollow.

They went flying! It was amazing!

Holy shit. I want to see!

By the way, is it possible to play as any character in any area?
You couldn't, say, play as Andre of Astoria, throughout the whole game, right?

Can you invade other players as other characters?

edit: Jeff Green needs this kind of power now. We should all try to invade him while he plays as a boss, or something.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Holy shit. I want to see!

By the way, is it possible to play as any character in any area?
You couldn't, say, play as Andre of Astoria, throughout the whole game, right?

Can you invade other players as other characters?

edit: Jeff Green needs this kind of power now. We should all try to invade him while he plays as a boss, or something.

I don't think you can invade as other characters, and currently I've found that you can't let the character leave the area it was spawned in unfortunately.

Gbraga

If it's worth anything to you, I forgot to set steam to offline and someone invaded me while I was playing as the hell knight Drake.

DID YOU RECORD IT???? :D

I can only imagine how salty the player were, especially if they had no idea of what was going on.

Have it render at the resolution your monitor is set at by adjusting the information in the DSfix.ini file

You can also have it rendering at a higher resolution if you'd like to super sample. It looks great. One thing to try is to super sample and just turn off the DSfix AA options altogether.

Pachimari

No way. It can look much better with DsFix. If you have it installed, be sure to turn off AA in the game settings.
But I have already done that. Aliasing is off in-game, and in the DSfix I have this:

renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080
presentWidth 0
presentHeight 0
aaQuality 4
aaType SMAA
ssaoStrength 3
ssaoScale 1
ssaoType VSSAO
dofOverrideResolution 1080
disableDofScaling 0
dofBlurAmount 4
unlockFPS 1
FPSlimit 60
FPSthreshold 28
filteringOverride 0

Should I change anything?

It looks like the game isn't rendering at a higher resolution.
It renders at 1080x1920 I think.

As others are saying, get DSfix.

It's non invasive. Just toss the few files into the game's directory and customize the .ini file to your liking.

60fps and higher resolutions are merely a few clicks away!
But I'm already using DSfix.

I get the feeling confusing 2.2 with 2.3 is gonna be this topics "DISABLE IN-GAME ANTI ALIASING"

You forgot to change the internal resolution in Dsfix.ini. It's currently just upscaling from 720 it looks like. So no, it'll look so much better

Relevant ini values:

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 1920
renderHeight 1080

# The display width/height
# 0 means use the same resolution as renderWidth/Height
# (use for downscaling - if in doubt, leave at 0)
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080

Since your picture is in 1080p just go ahead and copy the values. You can also use multiples of the 1920x1080 resolution to downsample from a higher resolution. That's the main reason DSFix was made in the first place, to allow for higher resolutions than the console versions :).
Alright, so I have done this now:

renderWidth 3840
renderHeight 2160
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080

Gbraga

Try to change that:

presentWidth 0
presentHeight 0

To also 1920 x 1080

Also this:

change that to 810 or 540.

But I have already done that. Aliasing is off in-game, and in the DSfix I have this:

Should I change anything?

It renders at 1080x1920 I think.

But I'm already using DSfix.

Alright, so I have done this now:

dofOverrideResolution can't be the same as your renderHeight.

Pachimari

Try to change that:

presentWidth 0
presentHeight 0

To also 1920 x 1080

Also this:

change that to 810 or 540.

dofOverrideResolution can't be the same as your renderHeight.

Roger that. I tried changing it to what you said, and I'll try start up the game again now.

Edit:
So now it looks like this:

EYxVOQf.jpg

Gbraga

I'm so so sorry, but I'm laughing at this.

What the fuck is going on! someone, please. It's his first playthrough >_<

Pachimari

So Nabs have been so kind to also help me out on Steam, and as some of you have said, the file weren't even being used, because my Norton anti-virus software had erased the DINPUT8 file. So I had to make an exception for that one file. And now it looks like this:

Potentially silly question:

I know you need to force vsync when using DSfix... but does this need to be done before the game process is started?

I was playing around with 60fps and noticed I was getting tearing, so I alt-tabbed out to the nVidia control panel and forced vsync on for DARKSOULS.EXE, but I would still get vsync problems... I'm wondering if it's because the setting wasn't enabled before the game was started?

So Nabs have been so kind to also help me out on Steam, and as some of you have said, the file weren't even being used, because my Norton anti-virus software had erased the DINPUT8 file. So I had to make an exception for that one file. And now it looks like this:

Yup. Prepare to die.

I guess something like Frampt and Everlasting Dragon aren't playable, right?

Havel

Beautiful.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Looks like your black levels are all fucked.

Gbraga

Doesn't it look too dark though?

It might be my shitty work monitor.

EDIT: Try setting those two things back to 0

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Welp. Another reason to play as a hollow then.

To my understanding, you can't invade playing as another character. But, someone could of course give themselves infinite health or something like that - but that was always possible with Cheat Engine.

Gbraga

I know you need to force vsync when using DSfix... but does this need to be done before the game process is started?

I was playing around with 60fps and noticed I was getting tearing, so I alt-tabbed out to the nVidia control panel and forced vsync on for DARKSOULS.EXE, but I would still get vsync problems... I'm wondering if it's because the setting wasn't enabled before the game was started?

You don't have to, just use borderless fullscreen mode in DSfix and you'll get triple buffering. Forcing vsync through the Nvidia CP adds waaaay too much input lag (at least in this game).

Gbraga

Oh, I took down the brightness until I couldn't see the one symbol as it asked me of. :)

Oh, ok, at least it's easily fixable. Try setting that to default anyway, it shouldn't be this dark.

Sorry you had so much trouble to get it working properly, but I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do :')

For anyone with the debug build who wants to learn how to control enemies.

Back button (select button) on controller opens the debug menu.

While in game,
Debug Menu>GAME>CHR INS>WORLD CHR MAN>

[c0000](21) this is your character.

The option above it is the list of other chars.

Select one that has a filled in circle next to it.

Select "Switch control Player" to play as that enemy

Select "Return control player" to go back to contorlling your character

Basic controls are

Move with left stick
Turn with right stick
Dodge with d-pad
Attack with triggers and face buttons

To actually have enemies fight back,

there should be a "CHR Stats" options, or something like that.

Within there, set your Team ID to 1 and enemies will treat you as if you're the player character.

Thanks for working that out and posting! This is really cool.

I have two separate installations: a GFWL and a Steam, totally independent of each other. I tried to use the debug exe on the GFWL folder so that I wouldn't have to switch back and forth, but it came up with an error message about a required Steam file. I guess that's not surprising considering the exe came out as part of the Steam update, but just in case anyone was wondering about that.

Havel

Changing to AI enemies in the debug menu is client side only, so anyone in your world will not see it. Same with invading.

Parsnip

Yes.
But I'd use borderless fullscreen instead of vsync.

To my understanding, you can't invade playing as another character.
People will find a way.

Top Bottom