• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - Graphics Comparison - PC Preview

AnnTiPa

Here they set a 1440p resolution, so no problem for downsampling guys.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/08/here-are-dark-souls-2s-pc-graphics-and-control-options/

Thank you! Now I can finally go to sleep. I was very worried over this. Having the image upscaled to 1440p doesn't do any favors to IQ.

Though their phrasing "Resolutions up to 1440p are supported natively" does still make me worry a bit. I'd love to play this later in 4k when I decide to buy a new tv. I'll just assume they meant that that's the highest they tested.

Whoa shiny pursuer looks awesome. Makes me wonder how nice some of the armor sets will looks now. Can't wait to flood the OT with screens and webms =)

Durante

stupid 'lazy devs' comment aside, ive heard the console sales argument before and i dont really get it. how would releasing a better looking pc version impact sales? it already looks better than consoles. i can understand wanting to release on consoles first to curb piracy somewhat, but i dont think they think releasing a better looking pc version does anything sales wise other than increase pc sales a bit.
I believe the idea is that some will double-dip if the releases are staggered.

Yeah, I know it's silly.

I have some good news for you
You do?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Bullshot material was used on the very box of the console version.
I know many do this, it doesn't make it alright.

Don't know if complaining can be put under the blanket of "lose your shit" though.
-
I'm fine with them being transparent, finally, about the PC version looking bad.

some folks are definitely losing their shit:

Or that they are lazy fucks and don't want to impact console sales by releasing a decent pc version a month and a half from console release.

On a platform with no tech limits this is UNACCEPTABLE, and shame to whoever thinks this is k.

So much misleading information. I can expect this from EA or Ubisoft but FROM has greatly disappoint me with this move, especially when we showed how interested on the game we are after what happened with first game.

This isn't nearly as big a deal as some are making it out to be. The website probably doesn't get much traffic at all, and chances are it's peripheral even specifically to From's marketing team.

"What liars!" is not what people should take away from their website having outdated screenshots.

Because that's a huge leap from the improvement in resolution, textures, and FPS that were actually promised. Because the version of the game with the original lighting was a significantly different game, extending all the way to actual gameplay, and games are very rarely so different platform to platform.

Agreed

Still sucks to have it in plain sight lol.

Heartbreaking. What I would pay to have played that game :p

soontroll

Banned
This isn't nearly as big a deal as some are making it out to be. The website probably doesn't get much traffic at all, and chances are it's peripheral even specifically to From's marketing team.

"What liars!" is not what people should take away from their website having outdated screenshots.

It is the game's official website. Maybe it's not that important but Steam still had those shots until about a week ago.

Garcia

Posting in this new thread as well:

Some highlights having watched that QL:

• The PC version actually has a framerate unlike the PS3 version which is a continuous mess going from the low 20s to the upper 40s depending on what's going on the screen.
  • Reflections on metal objects give the game a polished look that's clearly missing in consoles. There's even a slight glare surrounding your character that is missing in the PS3 version (and which was already present in the first Dark Souls). The Pursuer looks really good and, as a consequence, I'm sure the Mirror Knight will greatly benefit from this.
  • The game looks slightly darker now. The interior halls of Forest of Fallen Giants are a good reference point. Unlit areas don't look as bright as they do on consoles; it is a shame that we didn't get the lighting back.
  • Enemies that already looked ugly on consoles still look ugly on PC (Conquistador mobs as an example), however, their reflective and shiny armors make them feel and look contextually "all right". Heide's giants looked like utter crap on the PS3; they now look just badly designed so I guess that's some extra points.
  • Loading times are similar to those in the original Dark Souls on PC. This is (for me) the best selling point of the game since you will be seeing those screens somewhere between 300 to 600 times during your first playthrough. I just did the math: 600 loading screens on PS3 are equal to 3 whole hours (180 minutes) doing absolutely nothing but staring at the TV. The same 600 screens on PC will take 40 minutes. That's almost 5x faster.
  • Pop-in is still present in the PC version but to a much lesser degree.
  • Menu lag is completely gone (Praise the Sun!).

kick51

Banned
I'm organizing a picket of Namco Bandai headquarters in San Jose. I'm only allowing the most passionate fans to join though, we don't need any scabs and the consequences for scabs who infiltrate will be dire. So please post here why you feel strongly about this, the ways you felt mislead, and some ideas for chants and signs in this thread to be considered for qualification please. Let it be known that we will NOT stand for lies and misrepresentation in the art of video games.

Consistent 60 FPS is slightly more important to me than the fancy lighting but if it's possible to have both I think that is the best way to go about it.

pa22word

Yeah, fuck this port.

Sorry, but I can't trust fromsoft and namco not to fuck me over later and announce a Dark Souls 2: Dark Edition for PS4/X1 and not decide to release and/or charge PC players for the "upgrade".

Will wait until it hits $10 or less. Game is slightly above DmC's "worth less than a McDouble" price tier, but not much.

Grief.exe

Fuck yeah! 8k downsampling screenshots out of the box are go. Still need some way to turn off the HUD :p

That was the first thing I thought of after seeing the high resolution support.

You never shy away from taking pot shots at the current gen consoles, do you? ;)

More taking a potshot at the ignorance surrounding RAM's functions.

EDIT:

You can turn it off in the game menu IIRC

NIIIICCEEE

UrbanRats

Still not seeing this and I have two copies of the game! Can someone point out these bullshots?
I'm going by images of the back-cover on google, since i don't have the game yet.

Native downsampling confirmed

Bkt-tl9CMAAdI9x.jpg

That's pretty damn cool.

zma1013

Fuck yeah! 8k downsampling screenshots out of the box are go. Still need some way to turn off the HUD :p

You can turn off the HUD in the console game, I'm pretty sure. I have mine set to only show the HUD when needed so it only comes up when I'm doing combat actions but I believe you can turn it completely off in all instances as well.

ButchCat

Don't worry, people who waited for the PC version because of the flat lightening just wait for the PS4 version if that turns out to be nothing but disappointment then just wait for DS3. If they still fail to deliver then just wait for whatever version comes on the PS5.

JustinSaneV2

Neo Member
Even the art style, aesthetics is more Dragons Dogma than Dark Souls.

I can't vouch for the DD comparison since I've never played it but I can say the DS2 definitely doesn't feel like the past Souls game when you first start playing it. It took me some time to get used it and even then it's still feels "off" (which isn't to say it's bad but it definitely feels different).

Seanspeed

Banned

• The PC version actually has a framerate unlike the PS3 version which is a continuous mess going from the low 20s to the upper 40s depending on what's going on the screen.
  • Reflections on metal objects give the game a polished look that's clearly missing in consoles. There's even a slight glare surrounding your character that is missing in the PS3 version (and which was already present in the first Dark Souls). The Pursuer looks really good and, as a consequence, I'm sure the Mirror Knight will greatly benefit from this.
  • The game looks slightly darker now. The interior halls of Forest of Fallen Giants are a good reference point. Unlit areas don't look as bright as they do on consoles; it is a shame that we didn't get the lighting back.
  • Enemies that already looked ugly on consoles still look ugly on PC (Conquistador mobs as an example), however, their reflective and shiny armors make them feel and look contextually "all right". Heide's giants looked like utter crap on the PS3; they now look just badly designed so I guess that's some extra points.
  • Loading times are similar to those in the original Dark Souls on PC. This is (for me) the best selling point of the game since you will be seeing those screens somewhere between 300 to 600 times during your first playthrough. I just did the math: 600 loading screens on PS3 are equal to 3 whole hours (180 minutes) doing absolutely nothing but staring at the TV. The same 600 screens on PC will take 40 minutes. That's almost 5x faster.
Why are there so many loading screens? One of the awesome things about DSI was that the world was completely seamless(with a couple exceptions).

Man that MK TGS demo was something special. I even wrote a thread about it. The atmosphere really helped that fight. I'm at least glad I played it.

ultron87

Why are there so many loading screens? One of the awesome things about DSII was that the world was completely seamless(with a couple exceptions).

I think DS2 acts just like Dark Souls did. You can walk anywhere without any load screens, but if you warp somewhere, die, or get summoned/invade there is a loading screen. You just warp more often in DS2 since you can do it from the beginning.

Sullichin

Or that they are lazy fucks and don't want to impact console sales by releasing a decent pc version a month and a half from console release.

On a platform with no tech limits this is UNACCEPTABLE, and shame to whoever thinks this is k.

So much misleading information. I can expect this from EA or Ubisoft but FROM has greatly disappoint me with this move, especially when we showed how interested on the game we are after what happened with first game.

Holy shit dude.

Man I really can't stand it when people call developers lazy. Especially for such a dumb reason. Yeah you got it man, From decided to take a few weeks off and they thought it would be best if they made the PC version not as impressive as you initially thought it would be so they would sell more console copies. That makes a ton of sense.

Grief.exe

Don't worry, people who waited for the PC version because of the flat lightening just wait for the PS4 version if that turns out to be nothing but disappointment then just wait for DS3. If they still fail to deliver then just wait for whatever version comes on the PS5.

I wonder if Hidetaka Miyazaki broke off to create a quicker turn around for Dark Souls III on PC/PS4/XBO.

Why are there so many loading screens? One of the awesome things about DSI was that the world was completely seamless(with a couple exceptions).

Dark Souls II is not as seamless as the original and warping between bonfires is unlocked from the start as a result.

You also have to level up at a specific area instead of any bonfire.

bj00rn_

Banned
Good thing I only paid 23 euro for my pre-order, because no matter how good the game is, that lighting looks like fugly ass. If I had paid 50 at the Steam store I'd be really pissed.

Any plans for a light DS 2 fix with basic resolution stuff and your AO implementation? It would really help AMD users that cant do easy downsampling like nVidia guys.

Thank you for your impressions, really helps someone that doesnt want to spoil everything.

vpance

It's likely these assets never existed beyond the vertical slice. If they are going to put that much work into the (possible) next gen port, we'll wait for a while.

Maybe. I think when I saw what was possible I didn't want to look back and play last gen looking stuff. And to add to that, hearing of the less inspired level design and cohesiveness of the game pretty much killed any anticipation of picking it up at launch, or this month.

impact

Banned

Mostly because you have to level up at the (new) Maiden in Black

It's shoutouts to Demons Souls, like a lot of this game is.

Top Bottom