• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - Graphics Comparison - PC Preview

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Now we're talking. Quite beautiful. Love the DoF.
Perhaps you could work your magic and make the effect more aggressive. That mossy area could look much better if the backgrounds were covered with a nice dof effect.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Downsampled to 1080p via Bicubic Sharper

irAtJIoAPoBGv.jpg

Nope.

7aY7VH2.gif

Can't wait for downsampled shots of
Shrine of Amana and Dragon Aerie

Grief.exe

Perhaps you could work your magic and make the effect more aggressive. That mossy area could look much better if the backgrounds were covered with a nice dof effect.

The cliffs in the distance lead me to believe that they are using a lower resolution DOF again. Not nearly as bad as stock DS1, but doesn't look as good to me.

I am far from an expert though, just my initial impressions.

Meh, I'm putting this on Holiday sale for $5 status. Lies by BAMCO about the marketing for the game. Lies from FROM about pc being lead platform. Don't doubt it's a great game in terms of mechanics, but both BAMCO and FROM can go fuck themselves for misleading me. And to think that this was the game I was most hyped about for 2014.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Whilst it is disappointing it's not like the older footage I'm just delighted it seems to run well on even modest machines and at a solid 60fps. Very happy with that, glad I was able to hold out for the PC release.

Vaiim

Well that's rather disappointing, but I guess I'd be lying if I said I was surprised. Still it certainly could have been worse, after DS1 lol.

If they'd done it properly they could have pushed the boat out, then ported the PC version to PS4bone after. So it's a real shame. But it looks perfectly playable as it is.

Durante

I think that area (and lots of other ones) would mostly look better with less ambient light and/or more and better ambient occlusion. The problem is, adjusting the ambient light level will at the very least require understanding shading parameters and that's a rather involved thing -- and I no longer have as much free time as I did when DS1 was released. Someone needs to step up :p

nbthedude

I think that area (and lots of other ones) would mostly look better with less ambient light and/or more and better ambient occlusion. The problem is, adjusting the ambient light level will at the very least require understanding shading parameters and that's a rather involved thing -- and I no longer have as much free time as I did when DS1 was released. Someone needs to step up :p

Well the good news is that From apparently already did step it up significantly. We can all happily enjoy the default options the first play through while people fiddle with mods; it already looks great.

Raven77

This thread has now convinced me that people don't pay any attention to information in a thread and just post whatever the fuck they feel like.

I don't even think it has anything to do with a discussion. People just like to have catharsis and yell at shit to make them feel better and this is the catharsis de jour.

The thread is about a graphics comparison. The PC version was supposed to look "next-gen" based on footage FROM themselves released, along with official screenshots they released (and only recently removed).

I recommend looking up the thread about the "downgrade", it may be eye opening for you.

It's not deliberate, it's a lack of resources as usual: time, money, time x money squared etc.

What's very much deliberate is the lack of transparency. Nobody can explain away the evasive answers which always come from showing a game/build too early. This is precisely why you don't do that. It's PR death.

They sure had money to spend on developing a perfectly polished tech demo.

Most people care more about their enjoyment than bad decisions made in marketing campaigns.

how awful, right? lol.

You can enjoy it while at the same time take action against deceitful practices.

--------------------------------------------

9396505871_17df8cc28a_o.jpg

9354145649_0a62a1cb41_o.jpg

12230820655_97f6e183c0_o.jpg

9390927536_e80ea20a2a_o.jpg

11997641514_bd2587b0c8_o.jpg

9354097121_9b0eb0e421_o.jpg

Grief.exe

going from the 360 framerate to this is going to do all sorts of mind tricks to my brain. I want to see this in motion when I get home.

Same phenomenon happened when we first experienced Dark Souls 1 at 60 FPS. I still remember watching that first video Durante released of Firelink and it looked strange.

LiK

No one else can! Only you!

elyetis

You expected them to completely overhaul their lighting engine for a PC port?
You mean of using an lighting engine which already is done and was already shown/marketed ? Almost no one expected it, it's From after all, but it pretty much prove that PC lead platform was pretty much a lie ( or like with battlefield 3, where we learnt that it changed mid developement ).

nbthedude

The thread is about a graphics comparison. The PC version was supposed to look "next-gen" based on footage FROM themselves released, along with official screenshots they released (and only recently removed).

I recommend looking up the thread about the "downgrade", it may be eye opening for you.

Yeah it's a graphics comparison thread. Comparison as in comparing the versions of the game. This version looks substantially better and apparently runs a lot better.

I'm familiar with the rage over the game not looking like the vertical slices from earlier version of the game. I'm also familiar with the videogame industry practices as a whole and marketing in general. I particularly care if the game changed in development. Games change in development. I also don't care if the marketing doesn't represent the product completely accurately. Marketing usually doesn't represent a product completely accurately.

Getting mad that a final version of a game doesn't look like an earlier version is fine if people want to do but there are already like 3 threads for people to bitch about marketing/downgrade/whatever. I care what the actual game looks like when it comes out and how it compares to other real versions I can play. This thread is what the actual version looks like and how it compares to other actual versions. No fairy tale land versions of what could have been if they had overhauled the entire game in a single month just for the PC version.

I wondered where you were at. Welcome :(

Diablo 3 :p

It's distracted me quite a bit. But I decided to check the gaming section to see what the hot topics were. I wish I didn't.

Will you be getting the game soon or waiting for a sale? I want to see your screenshots/CE table magic.
I will not be bothering with a free camera in this one. I'm sure someone will though but it doesn't seem worth my time.

soontroll

Banned
Diablo 3 :p

It's distracted me quite a bit. But I decided to check the gaming section to see what the hot topics were. I wish I didn't.

I will not be bothering with a free camera in this one. I'm sure someone will though but it doesn't seem worth my time.

:(

The PC version plays and looks way better than the console releases. Simple. And I am emphasising only on the current state of the game, not over the downgradeton. That is a different issue now.

PC doesn't have to be the lead platform for it to run and look better than consoles.

EDIT: it doesn't look that much better than the console version. The higher internal rendering res is the thing making the big difference.

Nibel

Yes, the lighting engine is gone

Yes, a lot of geometry has been sacrificed

And yes, From showed their vertical slice way to early

But by the sun, this game looks fantastic to me; their art direction alone puts almost every other studio to shame. Sure, a few rough spots are still there, but the overall package looks very nice and I can't wait to set foot in the world of DS2

nbthedude

The PC version plays and looks way better than the console releases. Simple. And I am emphasising only on the current state of the game, not over the downgradeton. That is a different issue now.

It doesn't really matter. It seems the pitchforks want to take over any thread about Dark Souls 2 despite there already being several threads about "downgradeton." I'm sure the official PC OT will be the same, which is a bummer because I'm just interested in knowing about the actual version now that I can actually play and want to play and talk about that real version. I'm tired of trying to discuss the issue reasonably with all the angry mobs but it seems every thread will now turn into a conversation about earlier preview footage.

PC doesn't have to be the lead platform for it to run and look better than consoles.

This is the bare minimum I expect from a port. Simply because PCs are more powerful and can run games at a higher resolution. The textures are nice but.... their statements about the PC being the lead platform were complete bollocks.

I want the Haitian to go deep and take everything I've ever seen of this game prior to release. My enthusiasm has been deflated to the point of me being perfectly fine playing this game a few months down the road. Which will probably be the case. Which sucks. Because I'm sure it's an otherwise fantastic game. But.... fucking hell =(

Anywho, that's all from me.

Yeah it's a graphics comparison thread. Comparison as in comparing the versions of the game. This version looks substantially better and apparently runs a lot better.

That is highly debatable. I have watched the videos and to tell you the truth, the higher resolution is not enough to make this substantially better IMO. I can barely tell the difference. Yeah the screenshots for the pc version look sharper, but that's it, aside from benefiting of running better due to sheer brute force of modern pc hardware. FROM said "pc is the lead platform" - tall words that turned to be complete lies. What we're getting is a port, of which we have gotten a lot in the past.

soontroll

Banned
This is the bare minimum I expect from a port. Simply because PCs are more powerful and can run games at a higher resolution. The textures are nice but.... their statements about the PC being the lead platform were complete bollocks.

I want the Haitian to go deep and take everything I've ever seen of this game prior to release. My enthusiasm has been deflated to the point of me being perfectly fine playing this game a few months down the road. Which will probably be the case. Which sucks. Because I'm sure it's an otherwise fantastic game. But.... fucking hell =(

Yeah I share your opinion. Hopefully my disappointment will slowly fade away until some sort of sale turns up at which point I will cave.

So will the PC version still DBZ the sky

gifs

That gif nuked my internet so:
http://zippy.gfycat.com/QuerulousPleasingIrishwolfhound.webm

Wow, what mods are being used in these DS1 shots?

Just the texture mod I reckon (and obviously DSFix).

Yes I get that. But it doesn't really constitute the game to be called a port like DkS was. So it could very well be a better platform perhaps? Just saying that PC development may not have been what it was supposed to be, but it does fulfill what was at least half-expected.

soontroll

Banned
Yes I get that. But it doesn't really constitute the game to be called a port like DkS was. So it could very well be a better platform perhaps? Just saying that PC development may not have been what it was supposed to be, but it does fulfill what was at least half-expected.

Can you tell me what the difference is between DS2 on PC and DS1 on PC for this one not to be a port? What tips you off that the game was not ported to PC? Apart from the ability to tweak settings in the vanilla release of course.

nbthedude

That is highly debatable. I have watched the videos and to tell you the truth, the higher resolution is not enough to make this substantially better IMO. I can barely tell the difference. Yeah the screenshots for the pc version look sharper, but that's it, aside from benefiting of running better due to sheer brute force of modern pc hardware. FROM said "pc is the lead platform" - tall words that turned to be complete lies. What we're getting is a port, of which we have gotten a lot in the past.

It's like nobody remembers what Dark Souls 1 PC port was like.

Here we have a port that pretty much has all the graphics options that would have made people who bitched about Dark Souls 1 happy but yet they aren't happy. They are angry and bummed and boycotting and other shit.

All not because of the actual quality of the game but because of the concept of what some dude on the team said or what some marketing people did or showed or some other abstract stuff that doesn't have much to do with what the quality of the final game, what it looks like, or how it plays. Talk about becoming way too invested in small ball politics.

Garcia

I was hoping for the uncompressed textures to mask the badly designed areas in some sort of way. . . It is clear that the game will remain visually inconsistent, but the extra shading, glare and slightly darker look should help together to lessen the shock.

Grinchy

Banned
I feel like they must have gone through like a nightmarish 2 month crunch time to get the PS3 and 360 versions out on time.

Haunted

Downsampled to 1080p via Bicubic Sharper

irAtJIoAPoBGv.jpg
*nods approvingly*

Wow, what mods are being used in these DS1 shots?
DSFix and the flora/fauna texture pack from the look of that Moonlight Butterfly shot.

But that's the crazy thing - the enemies and character models are what From put in the game, these shots are simply rendered at a higher resolution and downsampled. It's pretty unbelievable that this beauty was in the game all along when you've only played the console or vanilla PC versions.

Top Bottom