• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II - Graphics Comparison - PC Preview

Tain

don't get too excited now. remember that supporting games and ports that you think are well-made is less moral and more evil than demanding a well-managed marketing campaign.

GFWL Dead
60 FPS out of the box
Arbitrary resolution support (4K and beyond)
Native M/KB support including mouse driven menus
Dedicated servers
Steamworks including Steam Achievements and lower prices through competing retailers
Incredibly optimized even for low end platforms. Built for PC from the ground up
Higher resolution textures and a loaded video options menu

http://i.minus.com/iEoZCAaCJvove.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I think the dedicated servers are just for sorting the matchmaking and that the actual connections are still peer-to-peer. It's a bit of a shame but at least there's hardly any wait to invade, be invaded or look for co-op.

je_ssi e

Yea no other code work except the newsletter coupon, which is a 25% off coupon btw.
Mine expired today.
So, I used it!

I had some credit, but I think the coupon brought it down to $37.50, or something. Which, is a great price, imo.

I can't wait to play.
Stupid Earth calendar. The 25th is too far away!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Dark Souls II PC |OT| Lighting does not Return

Come up with OT titles guys. Im flopping on that area.

I was saying the PC port would be solid since the initial outrage began during the console launch, glad to see people are excited to play this great game. It's very well designed and also extremely deep, I'm glad the gameplay is again the focus now that some of the technical details have been sorted.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
We consumers express our wills with our wallets. By purchasing the game at full price you reinforce the behavior of these companies. It's as simple as that. You can consider a game to be great while at the same time not supporting the company's shady practices, there's no contradiction there but most people will simply go with the flow and ignore the ramifications of these actions.

When you vote with your wallet, you aren't voting for just one aspect of a product. It's all or nothing. Dark Souls 2, despite the unfortunately shady shit that went on during the promotion phase, is a game unlike almost any other and a lot of people want to vote loudly for more of that type of game. Surely, many people think that aspect of the game is far more important than deceptive advertising. I am one of them.

I'm very disappointed with the visuals and art design of the final product. I'm even more disappointed with how badly the game performs on PS3 despite looking so shitty. What I'm going to do, in all likelihood, is sell my PS3 copy and buy the PC version and enjoy it because the souls games are fucking great, even when they look like shit. I want more games like this, so I'm going to vote with my wallet for that outcome.

I can combat deceptive marketing by paying attention. I can't make more games like Dark Souls. I need the industry to do that for me.

don't get too excited now. remember that supporting games and ports that you think are well-made is less moral and more evil than demanding a well-managed marketing campaign.

Boom.

AU Tiger

I wish I was allowed to talk right now and irrefutably demonstrate just how ridiculous the idea that DS2 PC assets aren't improved over their console counterparts is.

activity82svr.png

OH MAN!!!

QUs2J.gif

any of these work?

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Time to Die Again
Dark Souls II PC |OT| Yea just buy this
Dark Souls II PC |OT| Daker then Dark
Dark Souls II PC |OT| Not a shitty port( or is it?)
Dark Souls II PC |OT| GFWL IS DEAD! LONG LIVE STEAM!
Dark Souls II PC |OT| Durante Might Fix This.
Dark Souls II PC |OT Hell on Steam

Nibel

While I chuckled at the title, I think we should stop reducing the PC version to its technical features only since there seems to be another fantastic game worth celebrating

Dark Souls II PC |OT| Dark Souls Too
Dark Souls II PC |OT| Adaptability in 1080p
Dark Souls II PC |OT| 60fps, 4K, Hi-res textures, also a good game

Grief.exe

I think the dedicated servers are just for sorting the matchmaking and that the actual connections are still peer-to-peer. It's a bit of a shame but at least there's hardly any wait to invade, be invaded or look for co-op.

You are correct, that was the improvements I was referring to. Online connections through GFWL were a fucking nightmare. There is no other way to put it.

Dark Soul 2 PC |OT| All Men Die Equally, Some Just at a Higher Framerate

I like it. I really like it.

Haunted

GFWL Dead
60 FPS out of the box
Arbitrary resolution support (4K and beyond)
Native M/KB support including mouse driven menus
Dedicated servers
Steamworks including Steam Achievements and lower prices through competing retailers
Incredibly optimized even for low end platforms. Built for PC from the ground up
Higher resolution textures and a loaded video options menu

iEoZCAaCJvove.gif
Well when you put it like that...

Dark Souls II PC |OT| 60fps, 4K, Hi-res textures, also a good game
I like this one.

Although you don't really need a subtitle, "Dark Souls II PC |OT|" is just fine.

creyas

Prepare To Buy Edition.

Fits the OP too since it'll no doubt contain some sweet, sweet downsampled screenshots and wifs.

Garcia

What I'm going to do, in all likelihood, is sell my PS3 copy and buy the PC version.

This is what I did less than 2 weeks after I got the game on release. Got all my money back.

The PC version is the definitive version of the game. Optimized, looks better, runs better; as a whole it performs sooo much better than consoles. Those who anxiously waited that extra month and a half will have their patience rewarded. 10 minutes into GiantBomb's Quick Look I already knew the PC port was going to be the only version to play from now on.

My suggestion:

Dark Souls 2 PC |OT| Graphics Horse ahead, therefore, are you ready!?

Top Bottom